Come Work with Us
Whether your passion is French cuisine, family and parenting, or social technology, you can find the latest news and information - from mainstream media and bloggers - on Topix.
Topix is an alternative news site that aggregates news from 74,000 sources and 450,000+ news topics. With over 11.6 million US unique visitors a month, Topix offers local news and discussion forums in every U.S. city and town. The Topix audience consists of consumers who are engaged and passionate about hyper-local issues that directly affect the communities where they live.
We're expanding the concept of news to include blogs, comments, and forums. We're breathing life into local news, turning passive news into active dialogue.
To learn more about Topix, check out our blog, and peruse our open positions. If you like what you see, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position name as the subject line.
Current Open Positions
- Software Engineer - Platform
- Director of Sales Midwest
- New York City Based Advertising Sales Position
Topix is looking for experienced software engineers to join our team in Palo Alto! Software Engineers are the creative force that build and drive our success. You're not just a small cog in a big wheel here. You have a say in what gets built and how to build it, both on Topix and on Politix.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science.
- Extensive experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing.
- Strong algorithms and data structures background.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated. Able to design, code, debug, and test independently.
- A desire to help product manage the areas for which you will be responsible and watch over them so that they grow and flourish.
- Interest in owning features end-to-end.
- A carefully stocked kitchen.
- Flexible hours.
- Working with talented individuals without the ego that you might find elsewhere.
- No bureaucracy to get in your way.
- A sane development environment that is centered around making the right design and implementation tradeoffs.
- We don't spend time worrying about meaningless and arbitrary schedules.
- If this sounds like your kind of gig, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com..
If you can sell advertisers on a site that features local community news and opinion (think everything from local school board meetings to the Debt Ceiling crisis), and have experience selling through advertising agencies in the Chicago Area, we have a great opportunity for you.
MUST HAVE online ad sales experience, regional and local online ad agency contacts, and a solid work history to apply.
Who we are:
Topix is a premium news site, focused on local, and powered by vibrant commentary across the US. The audience on Topix is talking about local news and local gossip, to the tune of over 125,000 posts every day. We launched in 2004, and have backing from Gannett, Tribune and McClatchy, and we are based in Palo Alto California.
Why you want to work at Topix:
We are a growing, privately held company with quite a bit of revenue upside in the area where you are.. The "local" online space is heating up and the largest opportunity to monetize our success and audience is in your backyard. Did we mention that we're up for creating a plan with a lot of upside? Also, we've been selling into agencies for nearly five years, have the infrastructure to sell and serve online advertising, and you won't be working with a "pre revenue" or "pioneering" mindset, with the issues that entails, but rather working a new territory that has a lot of audience.
What you'll be doing:
- Main responsibility is to drive online advertising sales with digital advertising agencies and in-house client marketing departments within the assigned territory, and sell them on the audience we serve
- Excellent prospecting and cold calling skills necessary. An aggressive attitude in getting to closing sales quickly will be key
- Communicate with potential clients with various methods including, phone, email and face to face meetings
- Prepare proposals (with the help of sales planning team) and respond to RFP's with a high degree of quality and in a timely manner
- Negotiate rates and terms with agencies
- Work with the rest of the company (including ad operations) to ensure that client's needs are being met to the best of our ability
- Prepare sales forecasts monthly and sales reports on a weekly basis
What you'll need:
- Bachelors degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years sales experience in related field, online sales a must
- Established contacts with regional accounts/agencies in the Chicago Area REQUIRED
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to work autonomously, and work with corporate staff from a remote office, can self motivate and self direct activities
- Knowledge of business and advertising trends and the ability to translate this knowledge into advertising solutions for customers
- Advanced understanding of online advertising and marketing, including pricing structures (CPM, CPC, CPA, CPL) and media types (e.g., banners, skyscrapers, box ads, mobile,email newsletters)
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organized and flexible
Respond with resume and cover letter:
- Cover letter must include reasons why you are passionate about working at Topix
- Send the above to firstname.lastname@example.org
Topix, which provides over 13 million Americans with community discussion, news and conversations is looking to hire an Director of Sales in NewYork City. We're backed by Gannett, Tribune and McClatchy and have been growing since 2004.
(acronyms & jargon below should be part and parlance of your life in digital advertising and it makes you happy that you know them all)
We have a great comp plan and this is a huge opportunity for someone who has worked selling online advertising to make bank with OTE.
Our traffic consists of mainstream Americans who eat a lot of fast food, buy cars and go on vacation. We'd like you to know people at ad agencies focused on connecting their clients to QSR's, brick-and-mortar retail chains and automotive.
You hang out with people from ad agencies and they really like you. You can wield data from comScore and Quantcast in a way that puts your audience scores in a great light and understand what it means to work with a small team to make a tight deadline without alienating everybody in the process. You're familiar with CRM systems and this is not your first salesforce login.
We're not a household name, but because you have so many friends at agencies, you know who has opportunities and can socially engineer your way into a meeting with the right people at the right time, and between those relationships, your charisma and our audience numbers get the RFP and make the sale.
We want to make you rich. Come work with us.