Occupy Wall St Debate - Grand Forks, ND

Discuss the national Occupy Wall St debate in Grand Forks, ND.

Do you identify with the Occupy Wall Street movement?

Grand Forks opposes
Oppose
 
43
Support
 
29

Vote now in Grand Forks:

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
John

Grand Forks, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 7, 2011
 
It's a great movement!
melissa

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 7, 2011
 
John wrote:
It's a great movement!
It's a bowel movement.
barney bjornson

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 23, 2012
 
needed
Ken

Minnedosa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 4, 2012
 
It has certainly given hundreds of thousands of people pause to think about how their own lives have changed in the last 40 years. Directions seem to create themselves but in reality they are often the product of what "other" people have been complaining about or campaigning for. In our busy lives we have continued to march along without much thought. It has been good for the population to recognize that many people have great concern about the direction, feel as if their concerns are overlooked and really aren't sure how to address that. They came to the streets.

The problem is that Occupy seems to have been a catalyst as opposed to a solution. None the less I am glad they set some of these wheels in motion. There are great minds out there in our populace that may be able to take it a bit further, clarify the concerns etc.

Thank you Occupy.
BUCK JOHNSTON

Moorhead, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 29, 2012
 
Why can't these lazy good for nothing dolts occupy a job fair. Welcome to the land of entitlement, everyone believes their owed something in this time and age. If you want it, go find someone else who has it and take it from them.
Ken

Portage La Prairie, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 29, 2012
 
BUCK JOHNSTON wrote:
Why can't these lazy good for nothing dolts occupy a job fair. Welcome to the land of entitlement, everyone believes their owed something in this time and age. If you want it, go find someone else who has it and take it from them.
In many areas there are no shortage of job fairs just jobs.
BUCK JOHNSTON

Moorhead, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 29, 2012
 
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
In many areas there are no shortage of job fairs just jobs.
BS, there are jobs aplenty. We are in an age where folks consider some work to be beneath them, and don't want to work their way up especialy if they have already done it. You can't always be a manager, lazy hippies.
Ken

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 30, 2012
 
BUCK JOHNSTON wrote:
<quoted text>
BS, there are jobs aplenty. We are in an age where folks consider some work to be beneath them, and don't want to work their way up especialy if they have already done it. You can't always be a manager, lazy hippies.
I am a professional person that worked for a government agency for over twenty five years. Prior to that I had an assortment of the type of jobs you say people consider below them. Many young people have gone to school. Not with a sense of entitlement but because the generation above them pointed them in that direction knowing it made their own lives easier at least financially.

I paid back my student loans and was lucky because I was able to pay off some of my own expenses as I went along. My student loans did not end up in the $30,000 plus range. I can't imagine how it works out when you have six months to start paying off your current student loan and perhaps are working at what you are hoping is an interim job because it barely pays the inflated rent.

You sound like a trades person or a person who has sold their body for a wage but it worked out alright for you. It hasn't worked out so well for people who are currently dealing with all kinds of medical consequences for their choices.It may not work well for those who just hang on to a "we'll get our rewards in heaven" mentality either.

Not all young people who "question" what is going on are hippies. Some of them are just wondering if society can't find a saner way to live.
BUCK JOHNSTON

Moorhead, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 1, 2012
 
Ken wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a professional person that worked for a government agency for over twenty five years. Prior to that I had an assortment of the type of jobs you say people consider below them. Many young people have gone to school. Not with a sense of entitlement but because the generation above them pointed them in that direction knowing it made their own lives easier at least financially.
I paid back my student loans and was lucky because I was able to pay off some of my own expenses as I went along. My student loans did not end up in the $30,000 plus range. I can't imagine how it works out when you have six months to start paying off your current student loan and perhaps are working at what you are hoping is an interim job because it barely pays the inflated rent.
You sound like a trades person or a person who has sold their body for a wage but it worked out alright for you. It hasn't worked out so well for people who are currently dealing with all kinds of medical consequences for their choices.It may not work well for those who just hang on to a "we'll get our rewards in heaven" mentality either.
Not all young people who "question" what is going on are hippies. Some of them are just wondering if society can't find a saner way to live.
A trade person, or someone who has sold their body for wage? I wonder why you would assume as such? I too went to college, and worked my way through. I'm 31 years old with a secure job, and 41k put away for retirement. Blame yourself mate, not others for the predicament your currently in. I could care less what prior profession is, what are you willing to do now to remedy the situation.
Ken

Gimli, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 1, 2012
 
BUCK JOHNSTON wrote:
<quoted text>
A trade person, or someone who has sold their body for wage? I wonder why you would assume as such? I too went to college, and worked my way through. I'm 31 years old with a secure job, and 41k put away for retirement. Blame yourself mate, not others for the predicament your currently in. I could care less what prior profession is, what are you willing to do now to remedy the situation.
College here refers to a certificate program ie printing, electrician, etc etc. Not bad wages at all, often more money than professionals get. I certainly have laughed many times when my plumber has told me that I paid for his kids education! Still many of those jobs, in the past, ended up with dangers like mesothelithomia, minor's lungs etc. It was merely a distinction between why it was cheaper to get an education in a trade as opposed to going to schools that result in professions. Anyway, you are going down the wrong road with your response on this and the rest pretty much.

I am currently not in any predicament nor did I say that I was. I do think beyond myself though and what I am seeing for young people "coming up" is that the world will not be the most welcoming place for them.

I am willing as person who no longer needs to work and has the time to look around, read extensively, and have lengthy discussions with others about the future. I am willing to support those who will be confronting situations that create obstacles when there may be better ways.

You, on the other hand just want to hand out another message like "suck it up buttercup, I am okay". Perhaps one day you won't be when you go to a bank to collect some of your 41k and the doors are closed. By the way, 41k looks like a lot of money when you are 31. Ask around about other people who had secure jobs ie built cars in Detroit for 15 years and had learned to live on a decent wage.
OWS

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 1, 2012
 
Ken is a tool.
Ken

Dauphin, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 2, 2012
 
OWS wrote:
Ken is a tool.
I am a bit curious as to why you use the moniker OWS if you have no use for it. My comments merely state that they have drawn attention to some serious problems about incomes, debt, long term implications for a society etc.

You can call me a tool if it gives you relief but relevant comments would have accomplished more.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grand Forks Discussions

Search the Grand Forks Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sheyhan santos Apr 10 Sluttt 5
ND Who do you support for Tax Commissioner in Nort... (Oct '10) Mar 20 pompeium lectus 4
Review: Whiskers Grooming Feb '14 Amy 1
Travel Alert for Area Jan '14 MCD Registry 2
Review: Metroplains Management LLC (Jul '12) Dec '13 bob 2
The price of progress Nov '13 joeyarnez 6
wheres the ladies at (Oct '13) Nov '13 joe 15

Grand Forks Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]