Don't Ask Don't Tell Debate - Pikeville, TN

Discuss the national Don't Ask Don't Tell debate in Pikeville, TN.

Should the US repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell?

Pikeville votes to repeal
Yes
 
5
No
 
4

Vote now in Pikeville:

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
R U Crazy

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 1, 2011
 
Why would a soldier not want to know if the person in the bunk next to them is gay or straight? Wouldn't it make life so much easier to not wonder?
ignorance is stupidity

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 6, 2011
 
Ummm....because in America we have this little thing called right to privacy, well atleast to some extent. Isn't it bad enough that the government has its nose in our business about everything else, why let them have the right to know people's personal information like their sexuality. I honestly think that's one step too far. If someone is gay they're gay if they're straight then they're straight who cares? They go into the military for careers, to serve their country, ect not to meet potential mates so what does their preference matter?
hillbilly

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 6, 2011
 
you know at Christmas, i got to see my nephew,,he is home on medical leave,he was in a helicopter that was shot down in Afghanistan..he is in good shape besides blood clots in his veins,that they are trying to remove..i was asking him about that,,he said friendly fire would solve the issue,he said all the polities correct stuff will leave them boys real fast under fire..
smitty

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 7, 2011
 
hillbilly wrote:
you know at Christmas, i got to see my nephew,,he is home on medical leave,he was in a helicopter that was shot down in Afghanistan..he is in good shape besides blood clots in his veins,that they are trying to remove..i was asking him about that,,he said friendly fire would solve the issue,he said all the polities correct stuff will leave them boys real fast under fire..
Not many wll understand the following statement.This was probable going on in the first earth age.
Fact is

Cleveland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 7, 2011
 
Most people rub shoulders with gay people every day and don't even know it, and I bet very few have made passes at any one....I should think soldiers would have a lot more on their minds than obsessing about someone's sexual preference. It amazes me how many so-called mature adults are so hung up about what other people do in bed. In my opinion, they are the ones with the problem.
hillbilly

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 7, 2011
 
woman don't undress and shower with men,,for a reason,,you think 50 strate men will undress while a gay guy looks at them..when the day comes when women shower with men,,will be the day men shower with a woman man..only way to keep up miltary enrollement will be draft..then how long will that gay guy last under fire..no one man can stand alone under fire..i agree with the generals that say its a bad idea,,because its only common sense.
Fact is

Cleveland, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 8, 2011
 
whatever
R U Crazy

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 8, 2011
 
hillbilly wrote:
woman don't undress and shower with men,,for a reason,,you think 50 strate men will undress while a gay guy looks at them..when the day comes when women shower with men,,will be the day men shower with a woman man..only way to keep up miltary enrollement will be draft..then how long will that gay guy last under fire..no one man can stand alone under fire..i agree with the generals that say its a bad idea,,because its only common sense.
It may be common sense but you are contradicting yourself Hillbilly. You say that women don't shower with men for a reason and the same holds true for gay men showering with straight men yet you hold that repealing DADT is a bad idea. You can't have it both ways. How many women in the armed forces get raped each year? You think if the men knew a guy was gay they would simply keep their distance. That is what I would do being totally straight. But it most likely won't work out that way.
hillbilly

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 8, 2011
 
don't ask, don't tell means they don't ask if you are gay,,,don't tell means if you are gay you keep it a secret..so yes i am sure in the shower there are gay men,but they don't let it be knowing..when gays can serve open,then what.i may be old fashioned,but know way would i undress in front of a man,that i knew was gay..just like most woman are not going to strip in front of a strange man..any way if a guy was gay.and 10 men was not gay,the gay guy was penned down under fire,how many of the 10 men would die trying to save the one gay guy..i think the issue goes further than what is right and wrong..under fire the 10 men would be operating under pure instinct.not what is right or wrong,,would they die for something they dont belive in.
R U Crazy

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 10, 2011
 
"any way if a guy was gay.and 10 men was not gay,the gay guy was penned down under fire,how many of the 10 men would die trying to save the one gay guy"

So what would be the difference if it were a straight guy? The same number of men would still be lost trying to save him given the situation was exactly the same. I don't believe you Hillbilly. Are you saying that a gay soldier, risking his life to serve his country isn't worth risking lives to save simply because he is gay? Your prejudice is appalling!
Vet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 10, 2011
 
R U Crazy wrote:
"any way if a guy was gay.and 10 men was not gay,the gay guy was penned down under fire,how many of the 10 men would die trying to save the one gay guy"
So what would be the difference if it were a straight guy? The same number of men would still be lost trying to save him given the situation was exactly the same. I don't believe you Hillbilly. Are you saying that a gay soldier, risking his life to serve his country isn't worth risking lives to save simply because he is gay? Your prejudice is appalling!
"Are you saying that a gay soldier, risking his life to serve his country isn't worth risking lives to save simply because he is gay?"
Hillbilly just told you that they wouldn't. Having been in the military , I agree with him . Why risk your life to save some immoral, perverted, abomination? You must not have served to not understand that combat soldiers do not want queers with them in combat , or in the shower.
R U Crazy

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 11, 2011
 
No Vet, I personally did not serve but I have plenty of friends who did, including one gentleman who served 20 years retiring as a Captain and pilot from the U.S air force. He for one was glad to see DADT go. So not all soldiers agree with you and Hillbilly.
Vet

Stockbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 11, 2011
 
R U Crazy wrote:
No Vet, I personally did not serve but I have plenty of friends who did, including one gentleman who served 20 years retiring as a Captain and pilot from the U.S air force. He for one was glad to see DADT go. So not all soldiers agree with you and Hillbilly.
He must be queer, and don't you owe me a steak dinner? Remember the elections?
Vet

Stockbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 11, 2011
 
R U Crazy wrote:
No Vet, I personally did not serve but I have plenty of friends who did, including one gentleman who served 20 years retiring as a Captain and pilot from the U.S air force. He for one was glad to see DADT go. So not all soldiers agree with you and Hillbilly.
"As in previous years, the annual Military Times Poll (linked on Drudge today) reveals that approximately 58% of respondents are opposed to efforts to repeal what the survey described as the ďDonít Ask, Donít Tell policy.Ē The catchphrase incorrectly labels the 1993 law, Section 654, Title 10, which clearly states that homosexuals are not eligible to be in the military."
Vet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 12, 2011
 
R U Crazy wrote:
No Vet, I personally did not serve but I have plenty of friends who did, including one gentleman who served 20 years retiring as a Captain and pilot from the U.S air force. He for one was glad to see DADT go. So not all soldiers agree with you and Hillbilly.
Hey, pay up, a steak dinner won't break you . Remember the election bet?
too much

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 12, 2011
 
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
"Are you saying that a gay soldier, risking his life to serve his country isn't worth risking lives to save simply because he is gay?"
Hillbilly just told you that they wouldn't. Having been in the military , I agree with him . Why risk your life to save some immoral, perverted, abomination? You must not have served to not understand that combat soldiers do not want queers with them in combat , or in the shower.
Under don't ask don't tell having been in the military you have probably already been in the shower with more than one gay guy. They are putting their life on the line for our freedoms,just like you did when you were in the military,and I thank you for your service. But I believe the military is a job and there are certain standards of behavior and sexual harrassment whether by gay or straight is frowned upon. I'm straight but I have many friends who are gay they don't look at me as a sexual object they are just my friends, they are trustworthy law abiding citizens I would have their back any time and they would do the same for me. Despite our different sexual orientations we are like brothers,we respect each other for what we each bring to the friendship.
Vet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 12, 2011
 
too much wrote:
<quoted text>
Under don't ask don't tell having been in the military you have probably already been in the shower with more than one gay guy. They are putting their life on the line for our freedoms,just like you did when you were in the military,and I thank you for your service. But I believe the military is a job and there are certain standards of behavior and sexual harrassment whether by gay or straight is frowned upon. I'm straight but I have many friends who are gay they don't look at me as a sexual object they are just my friends, they are trustworthy law abiding citizens I would have their back any time and they would do the same for me. Despite our different sexual orientations we are like brothers,we respect each other for what we each bring to the friendship.
I was not in the military under DADT. Sect. 654, Title 10 was the law then . Homosexuals could not be in the military at that time. Your reference to the shower is inappropriate and with all due respect , you don't know if your gay friends are looking at you as a sexual object. I do know that many of us believe that homosexuality is immoral and a perversion. I also know that social experimentation should not be allowed in the military. Combat units
and their commanders have spoken and they DO NOT want what is being forced upon them . This will destroy the military and I doubt that you served or you would understand that having these people in close proximity in the barracks , showers and on the front lines is destructive of cohesion . The military is not a democracy and they are the only thing standing between you and the barbarian head choppers. DADT won't be repealed until Military commanders sign off on it. They never will. There will be a new president in 2012 and , hopefully , he will understand this as this president does not.
who cares

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 19, 2011
 
IF THEY WANT TO FIGHT FOR OUR COUNTRY THEY SHOULD HAVE THE RITE DONT JUDGE.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 21, 2011
 
You'd be wrong there. All the bullshit society, religion, and other trappings teach you completely leave when bullets go whizzing past your head. It's not a matter of being politically correct, it's about being... well... alive.
hillbilly wrote:
you know at Christmas, i got to see my nephew,,he is home on medical leave,he was in a helicopter that was shot down in Afghanistan..he is in good shape besides blood clots in his veins,that they are trying to remove..i was asking him about that,,he said friendly fire would solve the issue,he said all the polities correct stuff will leave them boys real fast under fire..

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 21, 2011
 
Did they give you a lobotomy in the military? If all you can see is 'immoral, perverted, abomination' and not an American serving his country, then I'm glad you're out of the military. People like you fall under the category "cannon fodder". All that kind of thinking does it divide up people, and we don't need that in our military. You function as one working mechanism.
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
"Are you saying that a gay soldier, risking his life to serve his country isn't worth risking lives to save simply because he is gay?"
Hillbilly just told you that they wouldn't. Having been in the military , I agree with him . Why risk your life to save some immoral, perverted, abomination? You must not have served to not understand that combat soldiers do not want queers with them in combat , or in the shower.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the Pikeville Forum right now

Search the Pikeville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 38 min WTSenior 140,561
everyone go vote!!! 1 hr support 92
Ben Reece 3 hr happyone 1
sexual relations with a kid 5 hr Dumb idiot 7
ed jordan 7 hr sweet mama 1
Jim (James Aaron ) Swafford 14 hr idiot 2
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 15 hr WTH 8,896

Pikeville Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]