More Irish enlisting in British army even as losses in Afghanistan grow

May 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Independent.ie

AS a child growing up in Tipperary's Golden Vale, Felix O'Mahony fought in wars and conquered the enemy.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of58
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Yelp

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

Amazing what a recession does?

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

So will the British Army pay for the badly wounded for the rest of their lives?

Or will the Irish taxpayer be expected to foot the bill?

“WE never came from Africa!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
enlist and find out! Why don't the paddies want to be in their own Toy Soldier Guinness and Shamrock Leprechaun Army?
allymac

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
Does the Irish taxpayer pay the bill for the wounded British soldiers injured by its citizens in terrorist attacks?

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

DudTenners wrote:
<quoted text>enlist and find out! Why don't the paddies want to be in their own Toy Soldier Guinness and Shamrock Leprechaun Army?
They do, its the ones who were rejected from the Irish Defence Forces that go to the British Army. Read the article.....

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Does the Irish taxpayer pay the bill for the wounded British soldiers injured by its citizens in terrorist attacks?
Why should we pay for a war that happened in Northern Ireland?

No British soldiers were ''injured'' by Irish citizens in the 26 counties since they were evacuated after the Irish War of Independence.....
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
No British soldiers were ''injured'' by Irish citizens in the 26 counties since they were evacuated after the Irish War of Independence.....
Exactly. The IRA, PIRA, etc were criminals & terrorists and nothing to do with soldiering.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. The IRA, PIRA, etc were criminals & terrorists and nothing to do with soldiering.
The IRA of what period?

The IRA of the Irish War of Independence period (1919-1921) did use guerilla tactics sure Michael Collins is credited with inventing modern guerilla warfare. They also fought toe to toe with the British in the rural countryside.....

Its a fact however that the PIRA were not defeated and couldn't be defeated. Hence why Sinn Fein is jointly running Northern Ireland now.
allymac

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Many nationalists and republicans in NI hold Irish passports.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

Nullbit wrote:
One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.
Exactly.

Imagine these Brits if they had foreign troops on their streets treating them like sub-humans. They are a pack of hypocrites.

They won't be back.....
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Nullbit wrote:
Yes, but if there is ever to be a united Ireland the terrorism will have to end.

Adams, McGuinness and co had the entirely wrong approach to the problem. They had the high ground and vacuously gave it up for the low. Now they are have finally realised that what can be started cannot be so easily ended. McGuinness is lucky he isn't a victim of the "IRA" himself.
http://digitaljournal.com/article/270860
No one is safe (nor our children) from fanatics and extremists.
JMHO
Tttt

Kilkenny, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

Fingers crossed they come home in the only uniform fit for the likes of them,
BODYBAGS.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
The IRA of what period?
The IRA of the Irish War of Independence period (1919-1921) did use guerilla tactics sure Michael Collins is credited with inventing modern guerilla warfare. They also fought toe to toe with the British in the rural countryside.....
Its a fact however that the PIRA were not defeated and couldn't be defeated. Hence why Sinn Fein is jointly running Northern Ireland now.
You have your view and I have mine. The modern IRA will always be senseless and violent killers to me.
allymac

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert Nairac.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Many nationalists and republicans in NI hold Irish passports.
Did the ones born in Northern Ireland hold Irish passports pre 1998?

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You have your view and I have mine. The modern IRA will always be senseless and violent killers to me.
See thats what I don't get about the British they throw words around like ''senseless''''criminal''''vio lent'' etc.

And the British Army hasn't been no?

Senseless? Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy, Springhill ring a bell?

Criminal? British Army collusion with Loyalist terrorists ring a bell?

Violent? Haha this is the funniest one. I think we could say the British Army has been violent too ha......

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Robert Nairac.
Oh that one, who is heavily linked to the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings were 33 civilians were killed including babies. Along with the Miami Showband Massacre. He was heavily linked to collusion with Loyalist terrorists, former members of the British forces have said this themselves.....

You proud of your comrade?
lucky heather dearie

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

Nullbit wrote:
one country's leprechaun soldier is another's plastic paddy army.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Rather than maintaining the ignorant hillbilly feud we need to concentrate on economic convergence and integration.

My family came here from Eire many years ago and have been made very welcome by the British. We have had a good life and good friends and a far better education than Eire could ever have given us.

Maybe Scotland will be 'independent' in 2015 but that will only be a matter of degree. We (our generation) will all be judged by how we manage the future not how hotly we pursue historical legacies or differences of the past.

That's how our children should (and probably will) judge us.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

EdSed wrote:
Rather than maintaining the ignorant hillbilly feud we need to concentrate on economic convergence and integration.
My family came here from Eire many years ago and have been made very welcome by the British. We have had a good life and good friends and a far better education than Eire could ever have given us.
Maybe Scotland will be 'independent' in 2015 but that will only be a matter of degree. We (our generation) will all be judged by how we manage the future not how hotly we pursue historical legacies or differences of the past.
That's how our children should (and probably will) judge us.
Fair point. I'm in my 20's though. I have nothing against the British in general but the ignorant bigotted section of their society (every country has one) is vile....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of58
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the United Kingdom Forum right now

Search the United Kingdom Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr Ant 6,124
Girls With BBM Want To Pic Swap? (Feb '12) 1 hr diamond 22
Gay BBM pins 2014 3 hr James 1,580
Please go, Scotland 3 hr John 12
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Buck Crick 20,835
the English want Scots independence MUCH more t... (May '11) 4 hr Soar alba 38
Should England declare independance? 4 hr Soar alba 3
•••
•••