Asylum row hits new low

Jun 27, 2012 Full story: The Age 9

A senior minister ramps up the government's attack on Tony Abbott, saying he is to blame for last week's asylum tragedy.

Full Story
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#1 Jun 28, 2012
Actually for all Abbott's faults that's perhaps a bridge too far.

I thought about this for a while. There's nothing logical about Afghans claiming they are escaping persecution in Afghanistan paying thousands of dollars to go on a boat?

What about Pakistan? or Indonesia? their lives are not in danger there so why can't they wait to apply for refugee status like the millions of others?.

I can only conclude they are not "fleeing" rather they are taking the opportunity to push themselves ahead of other poor people waiting in camps.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#2 Jun 28, 2012
Certainly a complicated issue & the govt. doesn't seem to have a clue how to fix it.
They seem to like changing laws to suit themselves any other time, they should do so now.

Here's what I think should happen.
Every time a boat arrives, immediately all those on board get shipped to a camp & placed on the bottom of the list to be cleared for refugee status into Australia.

Then take double the number that was on the boat from the top of the list, that are already cleared etc. waiting their turn to enter Australia as true refugees.

So, get a boat with 200 people, no ID etc.etc..
They go to the camp, bottom of the list.
Take 400 from the camp already cleared, bring them here.
Next boat arrives, 150 people, straight to the camp, 300 already waiting relocated here...and so on.

I think over time that will stop the boats as once word gets around there's no free ride here, perhaps they won't risk the voyage knowing they'll be sent to a camp and put on the bottom of the processing list the moment they land or get picked up here.

Win-win, less people drowned, or at least less risking dangerous voyages & double the numbers allowed to leave the camps then we're sending there.
Despite what some of the twits that post here seem to think, immigration is never going to stop.

At the moment they know once they get here, most of them are allowed to stay.
And these numbers mean those already cleared in camps miss out.
I think a lot of the ones arriving by boat are merely country shopping.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#3 Jun 28, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
Every time a boat arrives, immediately all those on board get shipped to a camp & placed on the bottom of the list to be cleared for refugee status into Australia.
Then take double the number that was on the boat from the top of the list, that are already cleared etc. waiting their turn to enter Australia as true refugees.
So, get a boat with 200 people, no ID etc.etc..
They go to the camp, bottom of the list.
Take 400 from the camp already cleared, bring them here.
Next boat arrives, 150 people, straight to the camp, 300 already waiting relocated here...and so on.
I think over time that will stop the boats as once word gets around there's no free ride here, perhaps they won't risk the voyage knowing they'll be sent to a camp and put on the bottom of the processing list the moment they land or get picked up here.
Win-win, less people drowned, or at least less risking dangerous voyages & double the numbers allowed to leave the camps then we're sending there.
Despite what some of the twits that post here seem to think, immigration is never going to stop.
At the moment they know once they get here, most of them are allowed to stay.
And these numbers mean those already cleared in camps miss out.
I think a lot of the ones arriving by boat are merely country shopping.
I thinks that's a good idea except these refugees will claim they are being "incarcerated". It's a good scam really. We know when they are given refuge in Pakistan they are under no threat from anyone and infact can look for work and live in any part of Pakistan they want.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#4 Jun 28, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
I thinks that's a good idea except these refugees will claim they are being "incarcerated". It's a good scam really. We know when they are given refuge in Pakistan they are under no threat from anyone and infact can look for work and live in any part of Pakistan they want.
Yeah, they always seem to scream incarceration don't they, doesn't matter what happens, perhaps they shouldn't destroy their ID before they get here, then they wouldn't be incarcerated for anywhere near as long.
If screaming let me out doesn't work they demand this & demand that, riot, burn & wreck things.
That gets the bleeding hearts here all upset & crying etc. which I'm sure is where they get the idea to misbehave from in the first place.
I think they need to learn if they don't want incarceration then they shouldn't get on boats bound for here.

I wonder if they think incarceration is better than being shark sh*t?

The idea I suggested is so far the only one I've seen that sounds like it might have a chance of working.
I first heard it from Tony Zegenhagen last year as a policy put up by the Democratic Labor Party.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#5 Jun 28, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they need to learn if they don't want incarceration then they shouldn't get on boats bound for here.
I think they are clever enough to know how UN treaties work.
Aus

Rowville, Australia

#6 Jun 28, 2012
We can't take care of the whole world of muslims and indians or burmese who want to get paid for having children, free medicare, free jobsearch assistance.

Aus can't even pay pensions to the pensioners or build more hospitals
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#7 Jun 28, 2012
Aus wrote:
We can't take care of the whole world of muslims and indians or burmese who want to get paid for having children, free medicare, free jobsearch assistance.
I agree, actually heard on ABC first time consensus these boat people are already in processing camps in Pakistan and by taking boats they are trying to push ahead of other, perhaps better applicants. The Malaysia solution may be the best option after all.
AfghanLife

San Jose, CA

#8 Jun 29, 2012
Elias wrote:
Actually for all Abbott's faults that's perhaps a bridge too far.
I thought about this for a while. There's nothing logical about Afghans claiming they are escaping persecution in Afghanistan paying thousands of dollars to go on a boat?
What about Pakistan? or Indonesia? their lives are not in danger there so why can't they wait to apply for refugee status like the millions of others?.
I can only conclude they are not "fleeing" rather they are taking the opportunity to push themselves ahead of other poor people waiting in camps.
You tamils are racist people. you are more racist than whites. I'm poor afghan and you want our people to die. i'm crying while writing this. why are all tamils so racist. do you know tamils burned innocent tamil-brahmins babies in tamil nadu?? 5000 tamil-brahmin kids were burned and other tamils were rejoicing their death by distributing sweets and food to relatives. I have no doubt you are one such racist tamil who wants poor afghan people to die. they are not terrorists. they are simple people. Far better than Tamil-Moslems.
TrueLordShiva

San Jose, CA

#9 Jun 29, 2012
Aus wrote:
you racist tamil creature. You are anti-Moslem. Unga peranna???? Shiva Shankaran. Nienga!! listen me. you racist tamil. Paaraattukkal!!! for being so racist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceania Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 15 min Dana Robertson 27,006
First Naked Bus Sleeper Arrives in Wellington 1 hr Keyster 4
Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) 7 hr First Fijian 1,969
Australian PM urged to go easy on refugees afte... Fri CACAtracker 17
Nothing Common about stunning slice of history Fri LMR 11
Family of student travelling to Australia when ... Fri Moo 1
Tim Harper: PM back on top in parliamentary sea... Thu no Wynne situation 1
More from around the web