A brief search in the phone directory of Athens revealed the following:
- There are about 43,000 entries of Greeks with last names beginning with the Turkish prefix "kara".
- There are about 20,000 entries of Greeks with last names beginning with the Muslim prefix "hadji" . Of course these Greeks are fervent Christians!
- There is an unknown (but vast) number of entries of Greeks with last names ending with the Turkish suffix "oglou", which is the ending of a great percentage of the Turkish last names.
The population of Athens is around 4 million people, about half of the total population of Greece. That is one in 40 Greeks has a Turkish last name!
vre bouzouki, you have wrong....Learn that
1. The name KARA, is an ANCIENT GREEK WORD, that means HEAD.
FOR EXAMPLE....THE KARA OF HAGHIOS NIKOLAOS, is the Head of Haghios Nikolaos.
2. the name HADJI or HAGHI, is the arabic name, of the greek name HAGHIOS....HAGHIOS means SAINT.... If a Greek was going to River Jordan or to Jerusalem, was taking the name Haghis, it means Saint....FOR EXAMPLE...If a person with name Yiannis, was going to Jerusalem, when he returned in Balkan or Mikrasia Greece, was taking the name HAGHIYIANNIS
3. The suaffix OGLOU, is Turkish, but his origin is Byzantine. OGLIOS was the lovely son, and OPOULOS is simply the son.
For example....If a person has the name PETROS, his son was taking the name PETROPOULOS or PETRIDIS....If a son, was the lovely son, from other sons, was taking the name PETROGLIOS.
This name OGLIOS, took the Turks, and turn from OGLIOS to OGLOU.....