Hakim Abumykal

Bristow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2009

What about the snakes? I've read that there are lots of power outages because they short out the power lines. I've also read about them biting babies in their cribs. Have any of you actually seen or had an encounter with a Brown Treesnake?
Islander from California

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

OMGLOL. Where the hell do you live now? To make such statements only speaks volumes of the kinda of girl you are. Guess what... I grew up on Guam, went to the public schools came to the U.S. for college and turned out rather successful. It is what you make of it.

Too bad your family left Guam at 4. They should have left before you were born. I know the island needs talent and your certainly not part of that genius pool. We don't need people like you there why don't you leave and move to Africa where you belong with the monkeys.
Big TEX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

Jboy you are a Jackass! The guy was just asking a question about quality of life for his kids, he was not questioning Chamorro Patriotism. The truth is haole kids will find life on Guam fine if the arrive to the island before they are teens and make friend early. Once in high school there is elevated prejudice toward haoles.
Jman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, locals... or islanders... or Chamorros... or Guamanians. But don't distinguish yourself from us as an "American" because you're no more or less American than I am unless you're older than me, in which case you're merely having been American longer than I have been.
It doesn't make for a better statement. It makes for a correct statement.
TonyBo

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

Judged:

OMGLOL....for someone who just lived on the island till the age of 4...you certainly write like you know alot about Guam. Sounds like youre writing from what you have heard, not from experience. I am a UOG grad..and am working for one of the largest fortune 500 companies in the world on the leadership team. I would also add that UOG has put out some of the best army officers in the US Army. So I would ask you to temper your UOG comments...and would not hesitate to put my UOG education and experience against yours any day..!!
OMGLOL wrote:
When I turned 4, my parents specifically MOVED OFF Island for the benefit of my education. The best school here is St. John's. They have a solid history of producing successful students, many of whom go on to attend Ivy League universities, but tuition is over $20,000 PER YEAR. It's basically like sending your kid to college, but for 13 years instead of 4. Only rich people can afford to go there.
Forget about the public schools - you are better off home schooling. Some schools had to be temporarily closed down because of their hazardous and disgusting conditions. I'm not exaggerating when I say I would not let my DOG spend time in some of Guam's public schools, let alone a child. No air-conditioning, bathrooms so heinous that children HOLD IT all day rather than use them, empty swimming pools that aren't cordoned or fenced off, barely qualified teachers that sometimes don't get paid, etc.
Our local university is a joke. They accept and graduate barely literate students. Of course, not all are like that, some graduates are quite smart and well-read, but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with the UOG education. But, I've certainly met a few imbeciles with a UOG diploma.

Since: Jul 09

Dededo, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

YES The "education" system on Guam SUCKS.
I'm quoting from Heptune.com , written by a former UOG professor who spent several years on Guam and whose kids went to public school (for a little while anyway...)
"Yes, the school situation on Guam is just plain awful, and unfortunately there is no good news/ bad news here. Okay, I'll try to find something good to say, and this is it: there are some good teachers, even excellent teachers, here on Guam.
If you have a child in the school system, that child can expect to be bullied, sexually harassed, and beaten up. In most of the schools, nothing is done about these problems, or if something is done, the procedure usually involves punishing the victim along with the bully....
If the child is in middle school or high school, that child can expect to witness classmates mating, gambling and doing drugs in the school bathrooms. Bathrooms are also places to go to get beaten up....The schools are chronically short of textbooks, library books, toilet paper, school supplies and copying equipment. Teachers end up having to supply their classrooms out of their own paychecks. Some science classrooms have no running water or no electrical outlets...bizarre class schedules with classes lasting only thirty minutes...Teachers are not even required to have a bachelor's degree in the subject they are teaching..."

It goes on and on...check out the website to read more.

Hard to argue with that, isn't it.
Jman

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Judged:

Big TEX wrote:
Jboy you are a Jackass! The guy was just asking a question about quality of life for his kids, he was not questioning Chamorro Patriotism. The truth is haole kids will find life on Guam fine if the arrive to the island before they are teens and make friend early. Once in high school there is elevated prejudice toward haoles.
<quoted text>
Big Tex, It's not a matter of patriotism. It's a matter of being ignorant in the fact that Guamanians/Chamorros, an ethnicity, ARE AMERICANS by "nationality" just as he is and you are. So talking about Americans in comparison to Guamanians is ignorant. Now if he called himself a white boy or haole in the comparison it would make more sense.
Si Lanya Dude

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Darkbloom wrote:
I'm quoting from Heptune.com ...
Don't believe everything you read just because he was a UOG professor (who left). In one of his web site writings he states:

"If you are planning to visit or move to Guam from the United States, you should obtain a passport. Even though you may be simply traveling from one part of the United States to another when coming to Guam, you will be required to go through immigration and show your passport when coming to or leaving the island."

That isn't true at all if your point of origin is the U.S.(i.e., Honolulu). Now if you're arriving via Japan (Northwest) it's a true statement.

Since: Jul 09

Dededo, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

Well, the fact that she's an educator by profession adds to her credibility. Also the fact that she had kids in the public school system and was able to observe what she reported also adds to her credibility. Anyway, what she described about the school system isn't that far off from what we read in the Pacific Daily News on a regular basis.-I mean, the Attorney General closed down a couple schools over a year ago because they were too dilapidated and dangerous to use. The kids are still waiting to get back in...

I have no idea what the passport thing is about. I think passports used to be required years ago, right? I can't remember...
Lynn Yigo Guam

Tamuning, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

Judged:

Robert wrote:
My wife and I are considering moving to guam. We both have jobs lined up but my question is what kind of living conditions can I expect for our 2 kids? girl 10 and boy 6. What are the schools like . How are american kids treated by local kids? We wont have any ties to military so wont be assosiated with the americans stationed in guam so wont be attending the military schools.
any advise would be helpfull
Robert, I hope I'm not to late. DO NOT come to Guam. Most of the people are friendly enough and it is fairly beautiful(in some places) but, that is the only good things about Guam. The public school system is a complete joke. Everything is expensive(if you can find what you need) and there isn't a whole lot to do here.
Lynn Yigo Guam

Tamuning, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

Islander from California wrote:
OMGLOL. Where the hell do you live now? To make such statements only speaks volumes of the kinda of girl you are. Guess what... I grew up on Guam, went to the public schools came to the U.S. for college and turned out rather successful. It is what you make of it.
Too bad your family left Guam at 4. They should have left before you were born. I know the island needs talent and your certainly not part of that genius pool. We don't need people like you there why don't you leave and move to Africa where you belong with the monkeys.
When did you go to school on Guam? I also attended school here, left after high school and have since returned. The schools that I attended are no where near what they are like now. The schools have double sessions to meet the over crowding and the school day is shorter than when I attended school here.How much learning can these students accomplish? I loved Guam (back then) now, not so much.
Marianne

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

I was wondering if a female in her late 30s, considering to move to Guam, would fare in Guam. I'm a permanent resident in the United States, single, no kids.
Without wanting to offense the "sensitives..", how about safety if you are a female. For example exploring the island and wanting to make buddies and friends.

I heard the pitbull and boonie dogs problem. Are there "safer" areas PER SE.
I am not affiliated with the military but would search for job and housing.

Anyone made the move, maybe was single, non military and female too,(or not ..lol).
Anyone from Guam?, who could give me vital information about their beautiful island. Some pros and cons, yay's and no's to stay safe, happy and sound.

How much savings would you need in the first months/year. Is finding a job possible. Any Immigration rules?
western new york

Attica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2009

Judged:

Guam is no different from any city in the U.S. Chamorros are a friendly culture but will not tolerate "ugly American " attitudes. We are an extremely educated culture, something you may not be aware off. We are also proud of our heritage and extemely intolerant of off-islanders with the "empowerment attitude"; I'm here, I'm White, black, superior, etc.(that you may not know you are giving off)treat me like one. We bow to no one, we allow for naivete, but will not tolerate condesenting atitudes. We can hold our own anywhere and expect and get the respect whether it is education, military, business etc that we so endeavor to become...FDMS 69
bob

Hagatna, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Judged:

Marianne, forget about it, you will never survive here. People hate outsiders, especially white skinned. If you are phillipino you will be okay, buy white, no way..
bob

Hagatna, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Judged:

As western NY says, extremely intolerant, says it all. You are declared ugly if you are white. As far as educated, I don't think so, no schools or universities, they are all day care centers with tribes of children living off medicaid. It is sick.
Marianne

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Thanks for your inputs. I think a few 'hyper' posters on this board cannot define a coutnry or culture in my view.
I think my question did not reflect the answer I received from "Western NY". Usually it is personal hatred and frustation of own failures some people have and project that onto people that are not responsible for their misery" They tend to do that i venues much safer" than personal contact. lol, hence you see many ill-minded posters on SAFER boards like the forum.

I don't care iof you are proud or not. I'm proud of my voutnry. SO WHAT. You take SO CALLED WHITES' money easily, so whop is to blame. If you have an inherant insecuyrity or inferiority issue over whites, you always will try to pick up a fight and glorify YOUR big culture and pride.

Becaise if you are NOT INSECURE about yourself.., you stay calm and nothing cna bother you. You would see the influx of money as good because it helps impreoving life on that island. and so what if life standards are below that of US standards. That should be seen as opportunity to change for the better nott o use to find scapegoats.
Abusing gogs is primitive, much as cock fighting or bull fihgting in Spain. I LOOK DOWN on each of these individuals because poverty or unpringing does not define YOUR OWN JUDGMENT.

I'm tired of this white bashing here. Shame on aGUma people to attack whites but yet, the ones that replied, ALL LIVE in the United States.
So, what is your point? You don't like your own CULTURE and country to have to live in the US rather ?

Lastly, I can say the same thing about you (the two guys that flipped on here_.
Why don't you leave the US alone as non-white then..

SEe, how it feels, reversed done to you.
What is your dumb poinbt of cuilture. I asked about Boonie dogs and if life is safe for a single woman.

I would have asked the VERY SAME questions of considering moving to Hawaii, Spain, another state of the US?

Don't project your own hatred of yourselves onto hamrless posters tryingf to find answers.
Gee, we are ALL proud of our own unique cultures and backgrounds. GET OVER IT.
if you aree so sensitive about it, what arer YOU doing in the US living in MD and not in Guam.
If the education system is rotten, GEE, go to parts of the US or Eastern Europe. Well, FIX IT. Is it not your own coutnry, and these are not your own children

To Bob, I'm not scared or shy. Stupidity runs in all nationalities.
It originates out of fear and huge lack of self esteem. It just happens that they are from Guam and think they are special because you want to live there.
hello, immigration happens everywhere.

Guam receives a lot of help from the US Gov't. if you do not take money, THEN hold a holy sermon, but not when profiting from these ugly whites.

Just remember the scams Guam people did when the last typhoon hit and they took advantage of Gov't rebuilding funds.

And that happens in Florida or any other place too.
BECAUSE it is not about Guam or the US but normal human behavior.

I think this turned into a rant rather than healthy response but, the whole thread ia a sad remidner of what miserable people can do to normally happy people. if there is no industry. Well, tourism is the ONLY way out of poverty. So 'break a leg' some of you hateful Guam people. You always present your country in a way. Now I think all Guam people are cuckoo ?
What I ahte tghe most is HYPOCRISY.

All the Guam posters LIVE in the United States but yet bash us with uneducated 'whites' remarks while they live here, have jobs and, in a sense, profit from THIS COUNTRY.

if we are so bad, GO HOME . Maybe then you can preach your TWISTED complaints.

iof they are so great peole, why haven't they fixed the education system, have money ..LOL
You see, how retarded that is, attacking people.

And if I worked very hard.. and HAVE MONEY and decide to buy or build the BIGGEST house on Guam, get over it. LOL
JRoss

Barrigada, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2009

wow that was a lenghtly response
Marianne

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2009

Sorry about that. I had re-read all the posts from this thread. From, gee, we are Americans too. Good, what is next? It makes me angry when I have to read all these racially inclined comments. Guam mostly is impoverished. So what?
Eastern Europe used to be called, "The second world". How many worlds... do we have BUT ONE.
Did all these people go on a verbal rampage if one would call them,'are you from the Second World"?
If there is no real industry, well, tourism is a wonderful way of improving situations. Worked for many "islands". Well, is it great that all these whites come? Maybe not. But what did the Native Americans say..? And where they there first for real..?? Look at Hawaii. Who really is a Native there. Looking like a Pacific Islander is no foolproof guarantie. Most of these people that lash out that way, would be spongy-like small whe face to face. And I hate cowardice. The nice female that said she was from Guam was talking facts. She loves Guam but still sees any imperfections there are. She did not exhibits complexes because an unassuming poster made an innocent mistake. Btw: ANY OTHER COUNTRY in this world has their own issues or "Ugly Side" that so doesn't look like the "Pretty Side" they like to be recognized as in the world.
Look at the education system in the US, especially in some so called "poorer" states.
Guam is a beautiful island. You should be proud if "others" would like to visit or live there.

Marianne

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2009

Tourism brings in MONEY that can be used to improve lifestyle. This is not a new concept.
But with influx of money, comes RESPONSIBILITY.
Is it nice to see all these tourists run around and the military.
Go to San Francisco, or any touristy town in the world, i.e. Rome, Paris, Milano,etc. These places are overrun with tourists.. Is it in any way different than to Guam? I don't think so.
But they pay dearly for their adventurous pleasures - some work triple jobs to save for a trip they have dreamed of all of their lives; and these cities/countries pocket in good revenues.
Every good thing.. has a flip side - like a coin.
Look
counting the days

Barrigada, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2009

Robert wrote:
My wife and I are considering moving to guam. We both have jobs lined up but my question is what kind of living conditions can I expect for our 2 kids? girl 10 and boy 6. What are the schools like . How are american kids treated by local kids? We wont have any ties to military so wont be assosiated with the americans stationed in guam so wont be attending the military schools.
any advise would be helpfull
hopefully your kids aren't pale or they'll have to deal with the discomfort of being stard at and really bad sunburns. Why would you go to a hell hole anyway? can't you work somewhere where your not given secondary treatment?
flynncarpentry

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

my wife and I are also thinking of moving to Guam,we are not military,does any one know of any sites we can visit to find many of our answers,everyone here seems to not like the schools at all,thats too bad,but what about the other stuff,stores and house rentals,how do natives treat transports?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Guam Forum right now

Search the Guam Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm in love with a Chamorro (Feb '08) 21 hr YeahPeace 159
Who is the best dentist on Guam? (Apr '11) Mon Noel Cahill 32
Are you ready for school? Last minute supplies,... Mon Noel Cahill 1
Does Guam Suck? (Mar '09) Mon 671247365caz 650
Bank in Guam with Online ACH Aug 17 JoeyF 1
I am looking for a new business partner!! (Dec '08) Aug 17 moj 719
The island's proud past celebrated Jul 21 mycyberquest 2
•••
•••