****Breakin news****Mengistu Hailemariam died of massive heart attck today

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 417 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2014
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
General Ali

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 3, 2013
 
According to the news from zimbabwe national tv report, the former bloody dictator, mengistu hailemariam suffered massive heart attack yesterday and rushed to hospital in Harare. He was already lost his conciousness by the time he arrived. In an effort to revive him the doctors put him on life support for 24 hours and latter he was pronounced dead at the hospital . http://www.newzimbabwe.com/
Details are being expected as a lot of mourners are being fled to his residence and hospital.
yosef

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

how sad!
Kontu

Lilydale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 4, 2013
 

Judged:

6

5

5

Nebil wrote:
I don't think this news is true. He will be dearly missed if he dies sooner or later. I know for a fact many Ethiopians will shed genuine tears for his death. He made some bad choices but he was a truly patriotic Ethiopian unlike the one who came after him. 
You hypocritical tool, you have a pop at every chance you get at the current government even Tigrians, but now you are praising a monster like him - wow!
Ezana

Ethiopia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 4, 2013
 

Judged:

4

2

2

Unlike the Agame Meles, Mengistu is a bitter-sweet man.
Nebil

Ethiopia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 4, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

3

Kontu wrote:
<quoted text>
You hypocritical tool, you have a pop at every chance you get at the current government even Tigrians, but now you are praising a monster like him - wow!
Sorry if I gave you a wrong impression that I care about what the people of Tigray think. I say what I believe in. Mengistu was a gazillion times more patriotic that the whole TPLF cadres combined. Like I said before he made some bad choices. His major fault was to flee Ethiopia and let Ethiopia fragment into pieces instead of fighting until his last breath. 
Kontu

Lilydale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 4, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

3

Nebil wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry if I gave you a wrong impression that I care about what the people of Tigray think. I say what I believe in. Mengistu was a gazillion times more patriotic that the whole TPLF cadres combined. Like I said before he made some bad choices. His major fault was to flee Ethiopia and let Ethiopia fragment into pieces instead of fighting until his last breath. 
In other words you admire a coward who abandoned you, when push came to shove. I'm not asking you to like Tigraian or TPLF - that's your decision, it's just baffling, you like one leader who was "supposedly" patriotic, but killed 1000's of his "countrymen" and you hate the current leadership for the same things and oppression etc.(according to you not me btw). How does that work?
Nebil

Ethiopia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Kontu wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you admire a coward who abandoned you, when push came to shove. I'm not asking you to like Tigraian or TPLF - that's your decision, it's just baffling, you like one leader who was "supposedly" patriotic, but killed 1000's of his "countrymen" and you hate the current leadership for the same things and oppression etc.(according to you not me btw). How does that work?
 You can accuse Mengistu H/Mariam of many things but he was not a person who was scared for his own life. Even his ardent detractors give him credit for his bravado. He was a hands-on leader and even as a president he directly went to Eritrea, Tigray and Somalia fronts to conduct wars personally. I believe the only reason he fled Ethiopia is to avoid further bloodshed in the capital city not otherwise based on his track record. 
The main difference between Mengistu and Meles (TPLF) is their intentions. For instance, Mengistu granted 'land to the tiller' which was one of the noblest achievements of his.(contrast that with - TPLF's stripping farmers off their lands unjustly). But that same noble policy of Mengistu resulted in famine because farmers were unable to manage their lands properly. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Mengistu did the right thing.(contrast that with - even if TPLF giving land to 'investors' results in 'better output', that doesn't take away from the fact that TPLF is doing the wrong thing since the ordinary, poor farmer is worse than ever before. The solution is not chasing away the poor farmer but enabling and empowering him to be more productive.)
Apart from Mengistu's brutal crackdown on local opposition, his policy towards fighting back the rebel insurgency in Eritrea and Tigray was also a noble cause. No leader in his right mind would stand idly by and let his country break apart. However he could have kept the balance between force and compromise. He could have granted Eritrea an autonomy while being a part of Ethiopia as per Eritrean rebels' initial reason for rebellion. He could have shared power with TPLF since TPLF craves for power so much.(Still, I'm not sure if TPLF would have been satisfied for anything less than total subjugation of Ethiopia under their rule).
On the contrary, you can barely find a noble cause behind many of TPLF's engagements, only sinister interior motives. 
We can go and on but I guarantee you Mengistu will come out on top of Meles (plus the whole TPLF junta) when history is remembered many years from now.
z_truth

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Both of them are brutal imcompetent buffoons who did looted Ethiopia and did nothing for Ethiopia. And Desalegn will be no different
Kontu

Lilydale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Nebil wrote:
<quoted text> You can accuse Mengistu H/Mariam of many things but he was not a person who was scared for his own life. Even his ardent detractors give him credit for his bravado. He was a hands-on leader and even as a president he directly went to Eritrea, Tigray and Somalia fronts to conduct wars personally. I believe the only reason he fled Ethiopia is to avoid further bloodshed in the capital city not otherwise based on his track record. 
The main difference between Mengistu and Meles (TPLF) is their intentions. For instance, Mengistu granted 'land to the tiller' which was one of the noblest achievements of his.(contrast that with - TPLF's stripping farmers off their lands unjustly). But that same noble policy of Mengistu resulted in famine because farmers were unable to manage their lands properly. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Mengistu did the right thing.(contrast that with - even if TPLF giving land to 'investors' results in 'better output', that doesn't take away from the fact that TPLF is doing the wrong thing since the ordinary, poor farmer is worse than ever before. The solution is not chasing away the poor farmer but enabling and empowering him to be more productive.)
Apart from Mengistu's brutal crackdown on local opposition, his policy towards fighting back the rebel insurgency in Eritrea and Tigray was also a noble cause. No leader in his right mind would stand idly by and let his country break apart. However he could have kept the balance between force and compromise. He could have granted Eritrea an autonomy while being a part of Ethiopia as per Eritrean rebels' initial reason for rebellion. He could have shared power with TPLF since TPLF craves for power so much.(Still, I'm not sure if TPLF would have been satisfied for anything less than total subjugation of Ethiopia under their rule).
On the contrary, you can barely find a noble cause behind many of TPLF's engagements, only sinister interior motives. 
We can go and on but I guarantee you Mengistu will come out on top of Meles (plus the whole TPLF junta) when history is remembered many years from now.
At the end of the day; he is an evil person who killed a lot people, that's a fact - nothing you say will change that. You can't just pick and choose the "supposed" good qualities of Mengustu to suit your argument and highlight the bad things of current leadership also to suit your argument.
Ethiopian

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

To Nebil

I do not agree with your argument, although Everything depends on what assumptions you have in your mind.

1) Many people think Mengistu was patriotic . But he was only fighting to retain his power not to keep the integrity of the country. Because of his political stupidity, inspite of all the advices, he destroyed the country and run away to Harare. To remind you , already TPLF was in Ambo and EPLF around Asmara, which means everything was finished. He needed to fight another 20 years to push them back to their bases
2) Mengistu was brutal that killed not less than half million people and Government high officials including the Emperor with out any judicial process. I do not think Males did the same. Your comparison is totally wrong.

3) True . Mengistu gave land to the tiller. The problem is he snatched his product at a very low price and made him poorer. By any measurement, Ethiopian farmers are far better than Mengistu's period. It is not also a bad thing to give land to foreign investors to develop it. Isn't this normal in many countries.

4) Mengistu never allowed opposition parties, infact opposition parties were banned by constitution.

5) I do not think many Ethiopians shed their tears for Mengistu that killed their people and destroyed their country.
factfinder

Kitchener, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 11, 2013
 
you guys did you know the real history which mengustu did to eritreans as well as to ethiopians why you trying to cover up what he have done during his time ?
Ezana

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 11, 2013
 

Judged:

5

2

1

Ezana wrote:
Unlike the Agame Meles, Mengistu is a bitter-sweet man.
Mengestu is a baria dikala.

MELES is god
newuser

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

His excellency Issayas Afworki is clearly immortal! Enemies give him reason to be the last one breathing.
newuser

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Ezana wrote:
<quoted text>
Mengestu is a baria dikala.
MELES is god
Dead God? LOLOL
mengistu hero

Ethiopia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

we love him
Ethiopian

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

newuser wrote:
His excellency Issayas Afworki is clearly immortal! Enemies give him reason to be the last one breathing.
Hahaha! You think we Ethiopians are jealous of Isayas because he has not died yet? Hahaha! Your old man days are numbered and his beloved friend Gadiffi is waiting him burning in hell. One fact I would like to remind you is that all Ethiopians will have a party drinking and celebrating his death.
Bira

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

Kontu wrote:
<quoted text>
You hypocritical tool, you have a pop at every chance you get at the current government even Tigrians, but now you are praising a monster like him - wow!
lol you are very funny for comparing the hero with stupid ass Mengstiu. anyways leaders come and go RIP Menge you have been a real gangster
Yusuf

Cheyenne, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 23, 2013
 
I don believe this..if this is fact say RIP.
shadow fox

Ethiopia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Apr 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

he is the only hero in our country. it was sad to hear is passing. rest in peace!!!!!!!!!!
Yoseg Gedefaw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Apr 23, 2013
 
I don't think this news is true. if it is God rest his life in peace !!!/ RIP/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

66 Users are viewing the Ethiopia Forum right now

Search the Ethiopia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
13 Years After 9/11 USA is Getting Nervous & Ac... 25 min Hezbollah 11
"Ebola" Epidemic in West Africa More than What ... 1 hr Christian 1
Growing Gap Between Ethiopian Airlines and Keny... 1 hr Christian 28
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) 3 hr trq 2,011
The Super Race that created the Greatest Civili... (Nov '12) 4 hr Observer 46
Jews Revenging on Ethiopians for 430 Years Slav... (Aug '13) 5 hr Louis 21
China Offers Over US$ 2 Billion Loan for Addis ... (Jun '13) 9 hr Josphine 9
•••
•••