why greeks in US and UK did not protest samson before war?

Posted in the Cyprus Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#1 Jul 12, 2012
greeks claim greek people against evil junta prior to war.We assume greeks in greece and cyprus feared from junta.Why greeks in US and UK did not protest?
jersey greek

Rahway, NJ

#3 Jul 12, 2012
trk wrote:
greeks claim greek people against evil junta prior to war.We assume greeks in greece and cyprus feared from junta.Why greeks in US and UK did not protest?
There were
many
Anti-Junta movements in Greece during the late sixties and early seventies,there was a student uprising at the National Technical University in Athens Nov 17,1973.You Turks supported the Junta or don't you remember?
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#4 Jul 13, 2012
jersey greek wrote:
<quoted text> There were
many
Anti-Junta movements in Greece during the late sixties and early seventies,there was a student uprising at the National Technical University in Athens Nov 17,1973.You Turks supported the Junta or don't you remember?
ofcourse far left greeks fight against junta but they were minority.There was a big organize greek diaspora in US and UK, they were free to protest but prefer to be silent.
greek

Rahway, NJ

#5 Jul 13, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
ofcourse far left greeks fight against junta but they were minority.There was a big organize greek diaspora in US and UK, they were free to protest but prefer to be silent.
Nothing could be further from the truth.There was a large Greek American community in the United States and Canada
that opposed US support for the Junta.Get your facts straight
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#6 Jul 14, 2012
greek wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing could be further from the truth.There was a large Greek American community in the United States and Canada
that opposed US support for the Junta.Get your facts straight
why they did not protest as they protested Turkey after cyprus war.
greek

Rahway, NJ

#7 Jul 14, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
why they did not protest as they protested Turkey after cyprus war.
THEY DID
You don't know anything about us Greeks do you?
Observer

Limassol, Cyprus

#8 Jul 14, 2012
"trk"
why they did not protest as they protested Turkey after cyprus war.

----------

The question could have been better put as :
Why did Cyprus protested more than the Greeks.
There are more than one reasons.
1. A coup, as serious as it may be, it is not as serious as a war or an invasion of one country by another and the occupation of nearly half that country, with the thousands of dead people and all the destruction that a war carries.
2. We are Greek Cypriots not Greeks and we may differ in our reactions from the mainland Greeks. I know that you find this explanation hard to understand as (Turkish) Cypriots feel 100% Turks.
This is the main reason that Turkey does anything they like in the north and every action is backed by as many as 85% of all people who now live in Cyprus. I used brackets above because the people who now live in the north of Cyprus are 85% non Cypriots and 100% Turks.
How can we ever reach an agreement if only 15% of the inhabitants in the north love their country?
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#9 Jul 14, 2012
Observer wrote:
"trk"
why they did not protest as they protested Turkey after cyprus war.
----------
The question could have been better put as :
Why did Cyprus protested more than the Greeks.
There are more than one reasons.
1. A coup, as serious as it may be, it is not as serious as a war or an invasion of one country by another and the occupation of nearly half that country, with the thousands of dead people and all the destruction that a war carries.
2. We are Greek Cypriots not Greeks and we may differ in our reactions from the mainland Greeks. I know that you find this explanation hard to understand as (Turkish) Cypriots feel 100% Turks.
This is the main reason that Turkey does anything they like in the north and every action is backed by as many as 85% of all people who now live in Cyprus. I used brackets above because the people who now live in the north of Cyprus are 85% non Cypriots and 100% Turks.
How can we ever reach an agreement if only 15% of the inhabitants in the north love their country?
My point is here, greeks evilize junta for their actions with conspiracy theories but indeed greeks have no problem with junta that time.
If greeks had problem with junta as they claim, at least they made small scale protests in diaspora.
And in cypriot-non cypriot issue, according to greeks, hundreds of thousands of greek immigrants that came to cyprus are cypriot but turkish immigrants are not.So based on this 7/24 produce propaganda.
greek

Rahway, NJ

#10 Jul 14, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is here, greeks evilize junta for their actions with conspiracy theories but indeed greeks have no problem with junta that time.
If greeks had problem with junta as they claim, at least they made small scale protests in diaspora.
And in cypriot-non cypriot issue, according to greeks, hundreds of thousands of greek immigrants that came to cyprus are cypriot but turkish immigrants are not.So based on this 7/24 produce propaganda.
You Turks don't know anything about us at all. There were many anti-junta revolts and mutinies.US government poured all kinds of money and weapons to the hated Junta.Many Greeks fled their
country, Turkey was the first country to recognize the Junta,Many influencial Greeks were stripped of their citizenship.A despotic regime in Greece the birthplace of Democracy? this disgusted and struck a nerve in the heart of every Greek.THIS IS SOMETRHING YOU TURKS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#11 Jul 14, 2012
greek wrote:
<quoted text>You Turks don't know anything about us at all. There were many anti-junta revolts and mutinies.US government poured all kinds of money and weapons to the hated Junta.Many Greeks fled their
country, Turkey was the first country to recognize the Junta,Many influencial Greeks were stripped of their citizenship.A despotic regime in Greece the birthplace of Democracy? this disgusted and struck a nerve in the heart of every Greek.THIS IS SOMETRHING YOU TURKS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND
you have understanding problem, I understand they couldnt protest in greece, but you should answer diaspora greeks behaviour
greek

Rahway, NJ

#12 Jul 14, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
you have understanding problem, I understand they couldnt protest in greece, but you should answer diaspora greeks behaviour
The protests against the Junta by the Greek diaspora were ignored by the US government,because the hated Junta claimed they were supporting right winged anti=Communists.Our cries fell upon deaf ears This was during the Cold war.US still has this policy overlooking Pro US Drug lords supplying American cities with heroin,killing more kids in not just in American cities but worldwide,than are killed on the battlefeild
You want American support? Critcise Communism
BUT AGAIN YOU DON"T KNOW US GREEKS
Agamemnon

UK

#13 Jul 14, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
you have understanding problem, I understand they couldnt protest in greece, but you should answer diaspora greeks behaviour
Are you suggesting that because diaspora Greeks or Cypriots were not in the streets protesting every day against the junta that they somehow supported it?
Bearing in mind that the US strongly supported the junta as a bulwark against communism, any Greek in the US that voiced opposition to the junta would be regarded as a communist.
Nonetheless there was plenty of opposition against the junta outside Greece and one main organisation was the Panhellenic Liberation Movement first established in Sweden.
One of the biggest acts of protest against the junta was when Kostas Georgakis set himself on fire in a square in Genoa Italy.
In the UK, a country that also supported the junta, opponents were discouraged from protest and I know from a personal friend of mine who escaped the junta and came to the UK that his conditions for staying there were that he should keep a low profile.

Most Cypriots living in the UK or born here were not really much into the politics of Greece nor did they understand the nature of the junta until it personally affected them during the coup and subsequent invasion of Cyprus.
Most Cypriots in London where also not really involved in the politics of Cyprus either, and that is why they quite happily lived and continue to live together with TCs in the north part of London.
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#14 Jul 14, 2012
greek wrote:
<quoted text> The protests against the Junta by the Greek diaspora were ignored by the US government,because the hated Junta claimed they were supporting right winged anti=Communists.Our cries fell upon deaf ears This was during the Cold war.US still has this policy overlooking Pro US Drug lords supplying American cities with heroin,killing more kids in not just in American cities but worldwide,than are killed on the battlefeild
You want American support? Critcise Communism
BUT AGAIN YOU DON"T KNOW US GREEKS
what protests you mention?There was no protest.
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#15 Jul 14, 2012
Agamemnon wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that because diaspora Greeks or Cypriots were not in the streets protesting every day against the junta that they somehow supported it?
Bearing in mind that the US strongly supported the junta as a bulwark against communism, any Greek in the US that voiced opposition to the junta would be regarded as a communist.
Nonetheless there was plenty of opposition against the junta outside Greece and one main organisation was the Panhellenic Liberation Movement first established in Sweden.
One of the biggest acts of protest against the junta was when Kostas Georgakis set himself on fire in a square in Genoa Italy.
In the UK, a country that also supported the junta, opponents were discouraged from protest and I know from a personal friend of mine who escaped the junta and came to the UK that his conditions for staying there were that he should keep a low profile.
Most Cypriots living in the UK or born here were not really much into the politics of Greece nor did they understand the nature of the junta until it personally affected them during the coup and subsequent invasion of Cyprus.
Most Cypriots in London where also not really involved in the politics of Cyprus either, and that is why they quite happily lived and continue to live together with TCs in the north part of London.
Actually neither strong greek political organizations in US nor greek people were against the junta.Anti vietnam protests were storm US, greeks could protest if they wish.
greek

Rahway, NJ

#16 Jul 14, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
what protests you mention?There was no protest.
THere were no Armenians harmed in 1915
either just Turks
Agamemnon

Carshalton, UK

#17 Jul 14, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually neither strong greek political organizations in US nor greek people were against the junta.Anti vietnam protests were storm US, greeks could protest if they wish.
The junta was not a war. In Vietnam there was a war in which the US was directly involved and it was pretty well covered by the media. It was the freedon the media had to record all the gory detail that led to the outrage. In fact later governments in the US learnt from this "mistake" and spent a lot of money on research on PR and media control.
The junta was not in a war and its oppression of the Greek people did not merit much attention in relation to Vietnam.
Did the junta have supporters? Yes it did. Even Pinochet had supporters but I doubt they represented the majority.

Without wishing to sound rude, I think your logic and the conclusion you aluding to is flawed.
greek

Rahway, NJ

#18 Jul 15, 2012
trk wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually neither strong greek political organizations in US nor greek people were against the junta.Anti vietnam protests were storm US, greeks could protest if they wish.
You are comparing the Viet-Nam war with the Junta in Greece? Americans were dying at a rate of 250-300 each week
Many Greek American political organizations were protesting the Junta,Your just ignorant of the events in the US at that time
Observer

Limassol, Cyprus

#19 Jul 15, 2012
"trk"
Actually neither strong greek political organizations in US nor greek people were against the junta.Anti vietnam protests were storm US, greeks could protest if they wish.

----------

I believe you had more than enough answers to your unfounded claims.
Go back to the... drawing board and study some proper history. You have the right to question others about their history ONLY when you have proved that you know your own history correctly. Unfortunately, no Turk knows his true history simply because your politicians and historians( Tolka?) have violated and distorted your history. So it is not really your fault that you do not know who you are.
It is sad for you because there can only be one reason for a country to distort its own history and that is being ashamed of it.
Black adder

London, UK

#20 Jul 15, 2012
Agamemnon wrote:
<quoted text>
The junta was not a war. In Vietnam there was a war in which the US was directly involved and it was pretty well covered by the media. It was the freedon the media had to record all the gory detail that led to the outrage. In fact later governments in the US learnt from this "mistake" and spent a lot of money on research on PR and media control.
The junta was not in a war and its oppression of the Greek people did not merit much attention in relation to Vietnam.
Did the junta have supporters? Yes it did. Even Pinochet had supporters but I doubt they represented the majority.
Without wishing to sound rude, I think your logic and the conclusion you aluding to is flawed.
Greece and Greeks have a modern history cloaked in nationalism with small spates fascism.

We are seeing a spate of fascism today in Greece with Golden Dawn et al.

The point about this is that Greeks only confronted the lunatics when it affected them.

In relation to Cyprus, pre 1974, virtually no Greeks gave a toss about how the TC's were being treated and since 1974 virtually all Greeks think that the events of 1974 were nothing to do with Greeks, preferring to blame Turkey, the TC's, the USA and we British.

I do not recall ONE greek protest at ANY time pre/post 1974 about the plight of the TCs under the GCs re 1974.

Greeks only complained about the junta when it affected THEM.

You would have a far more credible argument if you accepted that Greeks were quite happy to turn a blind eye on what the fascists were doing to the TCs.

If the GCs were really worried about the junta, why did they not call in either the UK or Turkey who were (and still are) guarantors over Cyprus.

Greeks misjudged that Turkey would invade and the best phrase I would us to describe Greek and GC attitudes to the fascists was that they would hold their noses and cover their eyes whiilst they committed their crimes.

NOT ONE Greek fascist/EOKA terrorist were indicted by Greek authorities for killing civilian TC's.

That is the reality of how Greeks viewed the fascists.

There was tacit Greek support of their actions until it affected Greeks.

You are a good bloke, but you are wrong and misguided on this.
trk

Istanbul, Turkey

#21 Jul 15, 2012
greek posters in here first claimed greeks were afraid of junta,US later admitted greeks actually not much care junta as I knew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cyprus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRNC put a bid for bunkrapt Cyprus Airways 33 min Dervis Eroglu 21
Why Greeks are so dishonest? 2 hr Dervis Eroglu 49
Offer Israeli Arabs money to move to Palestinia... 10 hr sam 52
Which groups are discriminated the most in Turkey? 12 hr Rockstar 18
CYPRUS: Greece, Russia and Israel, building str... 12 hr Mkz6 19
Venizelos slams Turkey for 'flagrant violation ... 17 hr greek 394
Do cypriot men like black girls? (Apr '11) Sat Peace43 32
More from around the web