What a dump - Tela, Honduras

May 3, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TravelPod.com Recent Updates

Table of contents 26 votes rate it Visitors: 27836 - 318 this month A filthy polluted caribbean beach town. via TravelPod.com Recent Updates

Comments
1 - 20 of 87 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
not true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2007

Judged:

First of all Tela is not a dump. I recommend tela you just have to be a people's person because if you are:
considet, ignorant, ugly, anti social just forget about coming go where the rest of the anglosaxs are at We are trying to keep the culture not change IT so you get with the program or just don't bother coming.
flaka

Leven, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2007

Judged:

I agree with you,people just want to make other people think that tela is a garbage place because of it beutifull people and beach,and not only that... the food is wonderfull too,I miss my beutifull city and I feel bad when people talk bad about it,and when they are the ones who come to our places like tela and bring drugs and Aids. I prefer to see garbage on the floor than people who behave like one.I have said....
not true wrote:
First of all Tela is not a dump. I recommend tela you just have to be a people's person because if you are:
considet, ignorant, ugly, anti social just forget about coming go where the rest of the anglosaxs are at We are trying to keep the culture not change IT so you get with the program or just don't bother coming.
Mike Murray

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2007

Judged:

I have lived in Tela for 4 years. I lived in the Barrio Limpera area east of the Centro. I speak spanish but i am an American expat and there are only a "handful" of gringos left living in Tela. Tela is the typical central american banana town. Sure it has some dirty areas in town, alot of the garbage is old fruit and vegatables, sometimes a dead cow or dog floating down the tela river into the bay. If you are not use to living in a banana town like Tela then you will find the food sucks as we dont have the fast foods that most spoild americans look for. You americans just have to suck it up and try to behave in Tela as well as you can ( and i know that is difficult for you Americans to do) Tela beaches, like in front of hotel Puerto Rico and Alejandra's get really trashy at the end of a weekend Sunday, or during holidays like Semana Santa.. but the following day labor is out there picking it all up and actually "sweeping the beach sand". The buzzards will get anything remaining.
carlos a zuniga

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2007

Judged:

tela still is one of the most beautiful places in central america.you can enjoy the wonderful beaches delicious food nice weather all of these at very good prices and the people is extremely friendly.what else do you want?
gustavo yanes

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2007

Judged:

Is nice to hear positive comments about my beutiful country, Honduras, I was just there in SPS, and did not have time to visit Tela, maybe next time, the bad thing is that is so dangerous??
latingirl702002

Eaton Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Judged:

HEY MIKE!!! LOL, you old sawhorse, This is Colphil, The First Gringo of Tela. I'll be in Tela Aug 7th
Mike Murray wrote:
I have lived in Tela for 4 years. I lived in the Barrio Limpera area east of the Centro. I speak spanish but i am an American expat and there are only a "handful" of gringos left living in Tela. Tela is the typical central american banana town. Sure it has some dirty areas in town, alot of the garbage is old fruit and vegatables, sometimes a dead cow or dog floating down the tela river into the bay. If you are not use to living in a banana town like Tela then you will find the food sucks as we dont have the fast foods that most spoild americans look for. You americans just have to suck it up and try to behave in Tela as well as you can ( and i know that is difficult for you Americans to do) Tela beaches, like in front of hotel Puerto Rico and Alejandra's get really trashy at the end of a weekend Sunday, or during holidays like Semana Santa.. but the following day labor is out there picking it all up and actually "sweeping the beach sand". The buzzards will get anything remaining.
latingirl702002

Eaton Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Judged:

Hey! You ole Sawhorse you. This is Colphil, I'll be in Tela Aug. 7th. I lived in Tela for ten years. Only trash I seen was tourist trash.
Marlene Bulnes CA

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2007

Judged:

Hi, I was just in Tela early this year, and i got to say that after not being in my country for over 18 years, it was a bit of a culture shock...however, i have to agree that i came back with a new prospective with life. Here in America we get so caught up in luxury, however, my Tela people showed me the real hospitality and the truth happiness i have ever seen. I loved Tela, the people are extremely friendly, the food is great...specially the baliadas:) I cant wait to go back in December.

Since: Jun 07

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2007

Judged:

I just visited Tela with my husband, who is Honduran, at the beginning of June. It was quite an adventure! I loved that our hotel only cost $10 a night and the beach was beautiful. We even lucked out and were there the weekend of their Tela princess contest. I had a blast! I actually enjoyed it more that our night in Cieba during the Carnival. I would agree, as an American, that most of us are spoiled. I kept looking for parts of Tela that I would imagine any of my American friends wanting to visit, and didn't see any. That is unfortunate, because they are missing out on one of the most beautiful areas in the world. It might mean "roughing it" for a couple days, but it was well worth it. I especially loved our adventure to one of the Garifuna villages nearby - what an experience. I'm still amazed how well they dance Punta. I will never forget my time in Honduras, and especially in Tela!
claudia

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Tela is not a dump, it's just that some people are use to luxury and are ignorant to certain things in this world. But I will still like to thank the people who are going there and coming back talking trash,b/c after all Honduras has not been forgotten and never will. Just be a little more open minded, and you will learn to appreciate things more
claudia

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Yes, you are right dangerous but beatiful. But in this world no matter where we are, it's dangerous.
gustavo yanes wrote:
Is nice to hear positive comments about my beutiful country, Honduras, I was just there in SPS, and did not have time to visit Tela, maybe next time, the bad thing is that is so dangerous??
eola

Tuscaloosa, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Hey jerk... It's Honduras, it's different, there are a lot of things that we take for granted that aren't there. Take a look around you at the scenery, and remind yourself that their aren't always people as fortunate as you in the world. There is ugliness under the beauty, but why not try and appreciate the beauty in life instead of simply seeking out that which you can degrade?
Claude

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

Judged:

I believe that if you're looking for garbage, you'll find any place in the world looks like a dump. But if you're looking for jewels, you'll find Tela is a real treasure. Having lived in Central America (Guatemala) for 3 years, I discovered the treasures of Tela, and now only hope for the day I can go back and stay forever. Of course, like any place else, Tela has its downsides, but so does most of the places I haved lived, in North America. Like Eola said, if you can't appreciate it, leave it to others to do so!
Rob

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2007

Judged:

My mom was born and raised in Tela many many years ago. I visited Tela as a kid and I remember the beautiful beaches and the great food. My parents are now retired from US and living in Omoa. I, unfortunately, have not been to Honduras in about 7 years. My parents have told me how dangerous it is and have begged me not to visit. Hopefully, if things get cleaned up, in terms of crime, I will again venture down to Honduras.
Lily

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2007

Judged:

Mike Murray wrote:
I AGREE COMPLETELY!
new orleans

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

Judged:

my husband is from Tela and it is so beautiful some people just dont know what beauty is some people are just so ignorant and should just stay where they are in there homes and live the beautiful things for people who apperciate them.
jenny

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Judged:

Tela is the bomb yo!!! lived there for 15 years and loved every moment, the breeze, the warm waters of the caribbean, the seafood, and music, most of all my barrio Buenos Aires, and the friends I left behind, so I don't know why you are talking about Tela like that, you don't know Tela.

“Love has no borders!”

Since: Aug 07

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Judged:

I agree with all you guys. It is definately a culture shock but Honduras is one for the most beautiful countries I've every seen. The garifunas just don't like tourists tearing up their homeland.
Illinois Girl

El Paso, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Judged:

I am going to Honduras in Jan. to visit my boyfriend and he has told me that it is dangerous and very poor compared to the U.S., but is the most beautiful country and he is excited for me to visited. Anyone have any advice for my first visit to the country?

Since: Jun 07

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Judged:

Illinois Girl
Bring your own toilet paper everywhere you go because it is very rarely supplied in the bathrooms. But most of all, enjoy. The countryside is very beautiful. I didn't like it much the first time I went, but after you get used to "roughing it" a little, you'll come to love it. It is an experience that I wouldn't give up for anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••