Alberta company plans for $6.2-billion nuclear power plant in n...

Full story: The Canadian Press

"They were a thing of the past, they were dangerous and they should never have let them build them in the first place."Nuclear power is expected to be a hot topic at the annual general meeting of the Alberta ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 370 Comments Last updated Apr 17, 2012
First Prev
of 19
Next Last
old vet

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

According to the article , even the Sierra Club is starting to edge toward the truth that nuclear power is safe and environmentally clean.
S J Stretton

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Yep, it's essential in Alberta. I get nightmares at night about the CO2 impact of extracting from those oil sands. At least with nuclear it's only about as bad as conventional oil.

“Continually Updated from Net”

Since: Jan 07

A PBS place in an MTV world

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2007

Let's Hope that No Weapons Grade Plutonium Accidently get shipped from Westinghouse Nuclear USA in Festus Missori to an UnGuarded Canadian Nuclear Waste Incinerator like what happened AFTER 911, like what happened in Brampton GTA Greater Toronto Area Ontario. Details at http://www.nukefreepeel.org
at other end of the SAME City where a Terrorist Trial is Being held. Nukefreepeel.org reps went to Ottawa to Tell Stephen Dion While he was the Environment Minister FYI
newcomer to Peace River

Terrace, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

Well, we just put an offer on a house in Peace River, I'm seriously thinking about backing out. Right now top dollars are being paid for housing, but if this goes through housing prices will drop drastically. I don't want be stuck with a huge mortage, no way to sell and be beside a nuclear plant!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

Never Followed House Prices from a Speculation perspective or otherwise so maybe a Good Rental for You Too ?
Whitecourt Oil Worker

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

Hey, if they build a $6.2 BILLION dollar reactor, it won't be "right next to your house", it'll be several miles out of town, probably downriver.
And, if they have 5,000 people employed for the construction phase and I don't know how many hundreds and hundreds of employees and support staff, contractors, etc, working there after commissioning the reactor, house prices are certain to rise, not fall, due to the building boom and demand for housing.
I say BRING IT ON BABY! Build that thing near Whitecourt and there will be prosperity for years to come.
Does anyone really think we can continue relying on fossil fuels in the years to come? Does anyone realize how much natural gas the oilsands are burning through to continue their current production?
Anybody heard of Peak Oil?
Hello??? McFly???
And safety has come a long, long way from early (flawed) reactor designs, so I'm not worried in the least.
permafrost

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2007

I fully support Nuclear Power...whitecourt oil worker hit the nail on the head
calgary

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2007

Judged:

Nuclear plant,so clean wait untill an explosion happens, or a leak, ahh nuclear is clean,maybe they can do what Syncrude does with the buffalo,let them roam around the plant except they can use Whitecourt deer,are u people nutz?? Ever hear of the Chernobal disaster in Russia! There are still new borns there with 3 arms! The last thing we need here is a fucken nuclear plant.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2007

Ontario Auditor talks about how far we Haven't Come
http://www.energyprobe.org/energyProbe/index....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

more details at
http://www.nirs.org/
old vet

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

calgary wrote:
Nuclear plant,so clean wait untill an explosion happens, or a leak,
You will be waiting a long time, maybe forever. I suggest waiting for natural gas or propane explosions, they happen regularly.
old vet

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

newcomer to Peace River wrote:
Well, we just put an offer on a house in Peace River, I'm seriously thinking about backing out. Right now top dollars are being paid for housing, but if this goes through housing prices will drop drastically.
Here in the US, the opposite happens.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

The Next phase Might Be to Effect Changes to Old Vet Pensions ?

BCE aka Bell Canada proposing changes to retiree Health Benefits so

maybe this is next info to flow from this Dealio...?

Described by one prominent US-based business columnist as a “deal from hell,” perhaps no other combination of companies illustrates the perils of merging operations than the recently unwound Daimler-Benz/Chrysler adventure.

Daimler is actually paying about USD1.5 billion to get out from under Chrysler’s healthcare obligations to workers and retirees.

What seemed manageable nine years ago when the automakers combined to form DaimlerChrysler is now driving the companies apart.

(Cerberus is investing USD7.4 billion in cash, of which USD1.35 billion will go to Daimler.

Also, Daimler will invest USD2.5 billion in cash in Chrysler and lend it another USD400 million.

Daimler ends up about USD1.5 billion out of pocket but also gets a 19.9 percent stake in the new Chrysler.)
old vet

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

calgary wrote:
Ever hear of the Chernobal disaster in Russia!
Don't build a Russian reactor and put Soviet bureaucrats in charge.
calgary wrote:
There are still new borns there with 3 arms!
So far there is no evidence of any increase in birth defects among those who lived near Chernobyl or among the Japanese survivors of the atomic bombs. The more likely population for such an outcome would be the people who lived along the Techa River. Based on the situation in Ramsur Iran, that is an unlikely result.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

Can We Believe 1945 to 1950's Data Era ?

There is still Classified WW II data info

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

Strange There's another Thread Going on that wasn't on the List Earlier here...

http://www.topix.net/forum/world/canada/TCKGD...
old vet

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

Canada wrote:
Can We Believe 1945 to 1950's Data Era ?
There is still Classified WW II data info
None of which has anything to do with RERF research.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2007

Maybe http://www.ccnr.org/radiation_standards.html
Would Disagree &

The Ignorance Level of Atomic Energy Canada who is also the regulator Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission CNSC that they expect of the Public is still interesting as Rivers Warming are causing problems in other parts of the Globe to Cool Off Out put H20 to such a degree that performance efficiencies are Dropping & other details
old vet

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Canada wrote:
Maybe http://www.ccnr.org/radiation_standards.html
Would Disagree &
The Ignorance Level of Atomic Energy Canada who is also the regulator Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission CNSC that they expect of the Public is still interesting as Rivers Warming are causing problems in other parts of the Globe to Cool Off Out put H20 to such a degree that performance efficiencies are Dropping & other details
Embrace coherence.
Donnie

Shippingport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Canada wrote:
Maybe The Ignorance Level of Atomic Energy Canada who is also the regulator Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission CNSC that they expect of the Public is still interesting as Rivers Warming are causing problems in other parts of the Globe to Cool Off Out put H20 to such a degree that performance efficiencies are Dropping & other details
Bertell is a fraud. I discovered that 20 years ago when I heard her speak and read her book.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••