Figure in Bangladesh Coup Arrested in LA

Full story: The Associated Press

A former Bangladeshi military officer convicted in absentia for his role in the 1975 assassination of his country's first prime minister has been arrested, authorities said Wednesday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 250 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2012
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
javed karim

Conroe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

Judged:

He should not be punished for what he did in 1975. the prime minister family was courpted and this gentlemen did us afovour for get rid of him
john

Allen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

Is it legal for any one to go assassin ones entire family just because his/her family is presumed to be a corrupted? may be he was or may be he wasn’t. It is highly disputable, but if any one were to say the party and the government was corrupted then I would agree with any one with out disagreement. To some level it was highly corrupted, and love made him blind to see lot of impurities with his party and his family. In his family was his son and in his party was his own people, but for your information it is wrong for any one to commit a crime and for that reason alone he should be punished. Because of Mujib’s assassination Zia was assassinated. Why because Mujib assassination acted as an example thus other people took the chance to kill another leader. Thus on that ground alone this individual should be punished even if it is after another thirty year. Bangladesh government should set example and this the time to do it. A revolution is over due for Bangladesh. A revolution which would help rebuild Bangladesh political system, justice system, and economical system
ACG

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2007

What proof is there? Where is this evidence, that proves if this man had anything to do with that which he is accused of? Perhaps he is a victim of the corruption that happens in every government all over the world. What example would be made by killing, murdering a innocent man? Would that not only perpetuate the hate that continues to consume our world like a terminal cancer
Rouben Mohiuddin

Venice, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2007

Part 1 - My father’s name is Mohiuddin AKM Ahmed. In America he is know as Din.

My father is a victim of political revenge and he is being deported to a country known for torture and corruption.

In 1975 he was a young major serving faithfully in the
Bangladesh Army. In 1975 the president of Bangladesh was Sheik Mujibur Rahman. Mujibur ruled by his absolute authority for four and a half years and nobody dared or was allowed to challenge him.

In 1974, Sheik Mujibur declared a national emergency and stopped all democratic activities and ruthlessly suppressed any one who opposed him. There was no freedom of speech, no open politics, most newspapers and publications banned and all fundamental rights were
suspended.

One party rule was introduced in January 1975 and Mujibur became president.

By the summer of ‘75 mass starvation and political murders pushed the military to take action. Bangladesh was on the verge of collapsing with the government stealing all foreign aid. According to Dr. Henry Kissinger, in the early 70s, Bangladesh was “a
bottomless basket” where any foreign aid disappeared.

On August 15th, 1975 my father was on military night maneuvers, a common training practice during his years in the army. But that night his superiors ordered maneuvers in support of what they claimed was a peaceful coup. It was their intention to force the president to step down and turn over power to a caretaker government.

My father obeyed what he considered to be lawful orders from superior officers to set up a roadblock on a main city street more than one mile from one of the presidential homes.

The next morning Din, along with the rest of Bangladesh, learned that during the coup, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and some family members had, regretfully, been killed when the president’s bodyguards fought back the soldiers trying to place Sheikh Mujibur Rahman under military arrest. My father was not in the palace that night. He was a mile away.

After the coup, the country did in fact shift to a democratic government and democracy has been part of Bangladesh since, except for brief subsequent coups and political assassinations. Even the US Government, which had never acknowledged Bangladesh before, immediately established a diplomatic relationship with the post-coup new government in 1975.

Some time after the coup, those involved were absolved by the Government of Bangladesh for any wrongdoing, and many members of the military were promoted in rank or joined the diplomatic service.
Rouben Mohiuddin

Venice, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2007

Part 2-In fact, the Bangladeshi government assigned Din to be
posted overseas as part of the diplomatic corp. and he traveled extensively, stationing in various countries such as Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Thailand and others. Throughout all this time, 20 years, Din honored his country as a diplomat with exemplary conduct and extreme dignity. He was Deputy Ambassador of Bangladesh in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War, and was the head of the Bangladeshi mission in Iraq from 1993 to 1996. His Iraq assignment was the equivalent of Ambassador.

But then the political winds shifted. In 1996, in Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, the surviving daughter of the president who was killed in 1975, came to power and promised “justice”[revenge] against anybody who was involved in the coup of ’75, regardless of their actual involvement, and regardless of the constitution that prohibited punishment against members in the military present during that ’75 coup. A double standard is apparent here as some high-ranking officials, involved in the ‘75 coup, are now part of Sheikh Hasina’s political party and therefore are still living in freedom in Bangladesh.

Din, along with several other men accused of the murder, was tried in absentia in 1996. Yes, it is true, that my father could have gone back to Bangladesh to try and defend himself but he knew he would not be safe and would not get a fair trial. I know it’s hard for Americans to understand but, sadly, my country is very corrupt
and so poor that eyewitness testimony can be bought for as little as one hundred dollars. And when the trial is politically stacked against you even the defense lawyers are either biased against those whom they are charged with defending, or in danger for their advocacy. It was widely reported then that even a few members of the defense team who were strenuously defending the accused were publicly threatened by the Awami league, and agitated members of the public stripped and beat those lawyers in the courthouse.

Besides the false testimony supplied by paid witnesses, other witnesses could not recall, 20 years later, who was or who was not in the palace that dark night. In fact some witnesses claimed my father was in the palace but then realized that they were actually referring to a different man, with the same name as my father, but
with a different rank. Various witnesses even recalled my father as being in more than one place at once.

Din was lawfully present in the United States when he applied for political asylum under the United Nations Torture Convention because his life and his family were in danger, given the unstable political situation back home. Meanwhile Sheikh Hasina dismissed all the judges assigned to the case of the ’75 coup and appointed her own judges de facto creating a kangaroo court which sentenced Din to be hanged.
Rouben Mohiuddin

Venice, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2007

Part 1- My father’s name is Mohiuddin AKM Ahmed. In America he is know as Din.

My father is a victim of political revenge and he is being deported to a country known for torture and corruption.

Bangladesh Army. In 1975 the president of Bangladesh was Sheik Mujibur Rahman. Mujibur ruled by his absolute authority for four and a half years and nobody dared or was allowed to challenge him.

In 1974, Sheik Mujibur declared a national emergency and stopped all democratic activities and ruthlessly suppressed any one who opposed him. There was no freedom of speech, no open politics, most newspapers and publications banned and all fundamental rights were
suspended.

By the summer of ‘75 mass starvation and political murders pushed the military to take action. Bangladesh was on the verge of collapsing with the government stealing all foreign aid. According to Dr. Henry Kissinger, in the early 70s, Bangladesh was “a

On August 15th, 1975 my father was on military night maneuvers, a common training practice during his years in the army. But that night his superiors ordered maneuvers in support of what they claimed was a peaceful coup. It was their intention to force the president to step down and turn over power to a caretaker government.

My father obeyed what he considered to be lawful orders from superior officers to set up a roadblock on a main city street more than one mile from one of the presidential homes.

The next morning Din, along with the rest of Bangladesh, learned that during the coup, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and some family members had, regretfully, been killed when the president’s bodyguards fought back the soldiers trying to place Sheikh Mujibur Rahman under military arrest. My father was not in the palace that night. He was a mile away.

After the coup, the country did in fact shift to a democratic government and democracy has been part of Bangladesh since, except for brief subsequent coups and political assassinations. Even the US Government, which had never acknowledged Bangladesh before, immediately established a diplomatic relationship with the post-coup new government in 1975.

Some time after the coup, those involved were absolved by the Government of Bangladesh for any wrongdoing, and many members of the military were promoted in rank or joined the diplomatic service.

Since: Mar 07

Venice, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2007

Part 3 - Din then followed the bureaucratic path of political asylum under the immigration laws of the US, and under the United Nations Convention. Everything seemed to be proceeding well until 9/11. After that date, with the rapid passage of the Patriot Act and the creation of Homeland Security, my father was excluded from the protection granted by the immigration laws and the torture convention. During the ten year fight to stay in America my father never broke any laws in this country. He is a gentle and peaceful soul who has worked within the US courts system to fight deportation to a country known for torture and corruption.

Clearly my father is a scapegoat in a much larger political game in both the US and in Bangladesh. Sheikh Hasina fanned the flames by calling Din a “terrorist”, knowing how much the American government dreads this term, to get Din extradited and finally hang him.

Sadly, my country of Bangladesh is currently in crisis once again. As recently as January 27 people have been killed in political riots and assassinations. It is a highly charged situation and my father has no hope in surviving upon his return. Even according to the most recent US State Department Report on Human Rights, Bangladesh is plagued by torture and political murders. Sheikh Hasina and her political party want revenge, without regard for the truth.

My father has no one to help him. He honorably served the military for nine years and as a diplomat for another 20 years, throughout eight successive administrations of Bangladesh governments. My father is not a terrorist and is guilty of nothing except trusting in a system blinded by politics.

If the US insists on deporting my father he will continue the fight in Bangladesh. He will face his accusers and reopen the case. Major political and military officials will be forced to take the stand and the truth will finally come out. I hope everyone, who is interested in the truth, will spread the word in Bangladesh that my father is ready for the fight. This is far from over. In fact it’s just began.

Rouben Mohiuddin
3/17/07
Apalled

Suitland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2007

"Even the US Government, which had never acknowledged Bangladesh before, immediately established a diplomatic relationship with the post-coup new government in 1975."

Mohiuddin's son does not know anything about Bangladesh history. The above quotation is enough to justify my opinion.
Shamim chowdhury

Maynard, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2007

javed karim wrote:
He should not be punished for what he did in 1975. the prime minister family was courpted and this gentlemen did us afovour for get rid of him
Murder is murder and he Mohiuddin is guilty of that. His group did not show mercy to 10 years old son of sheikh Mujib and killed him brutaly. No mercy for a killer like Mohiuddin.
He should submit him self to law and law willtake its own course. Bangladesh uper courts are known for it's absolute neutrality in the continent of Asia.
Thanks
Syed Zaman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2007

Poor dady's boy... stop blaming Bangladesh and its people. Act as you said "...he will continue the fight in Bangladesh. He will face his accusers and reopen the case."
john

Mesquite, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2007

Thank you for your highly motivate response, and I honor you dear friend for your effort to save your father form the face of death. Yes it his highly agreeable that what Bangladesh and her government had done over the year, Bangladesh is corrupted; Bangladesh is brutal towards its citizen so and so. To some degree there is injustice brutality in every corner of human existence even in your self, but dear friend do not dispute “sorry to say” that it is because of the people like your dear father Bangladesh had become what it is now. A fierce animal will do anything to support its family will kill and feed its family, but to other its just an animal who inflict fear to their heart of injustice and atrocity. To you, your father is great and there is no wrong in it, he is your model and reference to life, and it is also true there people are who sees him differently not because they intend to but that’s how they are shown together by your father “Din” own and other actions. We are all sorry for you loss if I were in your shoes I would be going through numerous sleepless night to contemplate what is going on and what necessary action to be taken to save him, believe me there is nothing wrong as a son you are just executing your duty towards him, and that is honorable. But please dear friend do not just blame Bangladesh alone. There are many out there who has many unpleasant experience in Bangladesh but that has nothing to do with Bangladesh it self. Bangladesh is a country represented by the people of Bangladesh, the people are corrupted and it is the people like “din” who may be tried to save his country from corruption but in the end he him self got corrupted. Dear friend you talked about torture now what if I were to ask you who started the practice of torture? Can you answer this to the audience? Please do.
Ishmam

Maynard, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

Ruben, I am sorry that's your father and surely I do understand you want to save him. But there is no doubt that he led a mutiny that killed dozens of people and changed the course of a nation.

Your father was a paid agent from Pakistani intelligence whose agenda was nothing but to take Bangladesh back to pre 1971 Muslim identity. Birth of Bangladesh was a big step against political Islam and your father's team tried to take it back to establish militant Islamic state.

He must stand for trial, he is a killer! He is a killer of 10 years old child Russell; his group even killed pregnant women Ms. Arju Moni and showed no mercy!

Why the world will show any mercy when he failed to show mercy a 10 years old boy? Pregnant women!

Ruben, you know nothing about those days or you trying to hide heinous crime your father did. You want to save your father by sacrificing other child whose father, mother, brother where killed brutally, how you can do that Ruben? We condemn him and his followers for killing so many innocent human beans!
Thanks.
Ishmam
Rouben Mohiuddin wrote:
Part 1 - My father’s name is Mohiuddin AKM Ahmed. In America he is know as Din.
suspended.
Reza

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

US should deport the convicted killer Mohiuddin.
We must remember, Bangla Bhai is also a beloved father of two innocent kids and has a beloved family.
Why a civilized world should care for someone, who did not hesitate even to kill 10 years old boy or pregnant women premeditatedly?
No resistances were offered from the guards (few police who were protecting Dhanmondi house of Sk. Mujib). He was not living at the presidential palace at that time, which is by protocol heavily guarded. Those simply armed police officers were neutralized at the very first hour without any significant exchange of gunfire. So, do not lie that Sk.Mujibs family was killed accidentally in the line of fire.
The brutal killers lead 10 yrs old Rassel to the bathroom while he was crying helplessly to see her mother. They killed him at point blank.
Mohiuddin and his associate killers, denied the justice to Mujib family. I am not sure, even after committing a crime like that how a “father” can be so remorseless!!
For at least 20 years they were protected under the most uncivilized law in the modern history, called "indemnity bill". It is time for the true justice not revenge.
They got the justice and several days at court,(which they denied for Mujib family.)
Our generation, irrespective of political affiliation, wants this dark episode of our history to be over. These killers should be getting what is long overdue for them, so that we can move forward.
Personal note: I do not advocate death sentence, as I am morally against any “death sentence” in general.
Ibrahim M

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

Few people have the guts to face reality and it doesn't usually happen when the reality is with a family member. Rouben Mohiuddin's excuses are lame. Let's agree with him more & say, yes the then PM was even worst than Rouben Mohiuddin is trying to say.

1. Does that justify killing him? Who is Rouben Mohiuddin's father to take the law in his hand? Did the PM robbed his family?

2. Does that justify killing PM's sons & their wives?

3. Does that justify killing PM's toddler son? Does that justify killing an infant from PM's relatives family

4. Does it justify killing of a pregnant woman - wife of PM's nephew

Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin, bottom-line, your dad Mr. Mohiuddin is a killer, and a member of the killing squad that caused a barbarian bloodshed in our national history. Unfortunately, he is your dad but you have to accept it. If any one puts hand in water, it gets wet; no matter whose hand is it. Similarly, if one puts his hand in fire, it will burn and not exempt because someone is your dad.

a. Do you think all the judges in the high court are criminals and convicted your dad?
b. If your dad was innocent, why he absconded and didn't fight in the court?

There are lot of people in this world whom some people do not like. Should everyone start killing the persons and family members becaus one group doesn't like the other group?

No one should blame you for your dad's role or action, but your action now is proving something else.

Try to accept the fact that your father is a barbarian killer and will remain in history as a barbarian killer!
Mohsin Ali

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

A murderer/killer is always a murderer/killer. No excuse. These gang stars not only killed Bangobandhu, they killed all other family
members including women, children and elderly people. Whatever was the situation of the country prior to killing of August 15, 1975, these gang stars had no legal right to judge and kill the President of the country including women and children.
I do not know why this site has allowed killer Mohiuddin's letter to post in this website?
Thank you.
Mohsin Ali.
Ibrahim M

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

“My son is innocent”– says every mother after her criminal son is arrested. Some people cannot accept the reality especially when the reality involves a family member. Few people have the guts to accept such fact and Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin is no exception. He is trying to justify a horrific crime by saying that the person killed was bad. That is his immoral pursuit but let’s agree to him more. Let’s forget that the then PM is one of the most popular heroes of history and let’s agree that the then PM was worse than what Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin is trying to portray.

1. Does that justify killing him? Who gave Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin’s dad the authority to kill him?

2. Does that justify killing PM’s sons and their wives?

3. Does that justify killing a toddler son and a handicapped brother of PM?

4. Does that justify killing an infant of PM’s brother in law’s grandson?

5. Does that justify killing a pregnant wife (Arju) of PM’s nephew?

There are people everywhere on earth where someone doesn’t like others. Should they all start killing each other because one group does not like the other group? Before telling someone was bad, look at your dad - a killer. Who is better, a bad person (per your opinion) or a killer? Even if we agree with you that PM was bad, you have to agree with us that your dad is worse because he is a killer!

Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin, if someone put’s his hand in water, it will get wet. Similarly, if someone put’s his hand in fire, it will burn – even if he is your dad.

a. Do you think all judges in the high court are criminals and illegally gave their verdict against your dad?

b. Why your dad absconded from justice and did not fight in the court if you think what he did was justified?

Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin, there are examples in poor Bangladesh where a father handovers his criminal son to cops. You are in the U.S. and educated, but you even do not have that morale! No matter what you say about someone else, bottom-line, your dad is a barbarian killer. He and his allied killers went through a horrifying killing spree and history will remember your dad as a barbarian killer.

It is sad to you because your dad is a killer, but fact is fact. You can continue to play the wrong role and be portrayed as a killer’s son trying to justify killing, or you can play the correct role and tell your dad to say sorry to the nation and victims’ family members before he is hanged. Even the worst serial killers in this country (U.S.) offer sympathy and say sorry to victim’s family. Your dad is already a barbarian killer and don’t make him further worse than a serial killer!
Agony

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

Wow ........Mr. Rouben Mohiuddin. Like father like son!
Deutsch

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

u people blame bangladesh. the current situation in BD is caused by ur father and some of his fello soilders. Scheisse
Ismael Farhad

Bangladesh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

After the matter happens at 15 August 1975 (killing of Sheikh Mujib with full family except Hasina and Rehana) no one in Bangladesh stands against it. Even for 21 years.

in 1996 Awami league wins the National Parliament Election after (wins 146 seats out of 300, no majority, but take the seat with help of Jatiya Party) 21 years and starts the process to bring the 1975 actionists in justice. But in this 21 years (1975-1996) most of the actionints of 1975, held valuable posts in Bangladesh Government (mostly in foreign affairs and army).

In 2001 National Parliament election Awami League faces a great disaster and wins only 58 seats among 300 (less then 20%, although they got 40% votes). So people denies their rules and works.

However, the incidences happened at 1975 supposed to be happened. To save the Bangladesh. Save the Nation at that time.

To get more history and clues behind the scene you vay visit http://www.majordalim.com . Major Dalim is one of the main actionists of 1975.

-Ismael
Shafqat

Dhaka, Bangladesh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

Dear Mr Ruben,

You have my sympathy. I have heard that your father to be man of principle. And certain actions were required at 1975 to rid the country of injustice. The killing of Sheikh Mujib was warrented. He was the greatest bengali leader and at the same time the losiest ruler. He failed to control his sons and goons while they robbed banks and raped women. His sons actions actually killed him, they were not less notorious than Saddam Hussain's sons. People still tell they prayed with joy whe Shikh Mujib was killed. To me he is one of the heroes who liberated the country from dictatorship.

I wish he gets political asylum.

Thanks
Shafqat

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••