It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,362

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73462 Aug 12, 2012
Hajime wrote:
Smart answer.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73463 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh your little contribution is nothing compared to the ammount of people in this world who contributed to get it where is today...The major difference is they have too much class to brag about it...you can never blame the Americans of that....
How many Americans have you met , personally ?

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73464 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You should get Olympic gold for quoting what others are better at than you..
Try not to be ignorant.

Your an embarrassment.

I meet nice Aussie on the net and in person and you don't represent them.

You don't know anything about guns.

You don't know anything about distribution.

Your just ranting and raving.

Try to educate yourself.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73465 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Are those guys shooting that thing without ear protection?
Looks like they were. It also looks like they sold it to someone in law enforcement.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73466 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again, YOU are wrong.
There is NO "right" to "shoot and kill"...but obviously YOU DON'T GET IT!
Your ignorance is astounding...just because I exercise my individual right to keep and bear arms...does NOT mean I have "the right to shoot and kill" anyone. Every living person has a right of self defense...and when a criminal threatens the life of another individual, they have given their victim the justification to defend themselves with deadly force against them if necessary.
Your attempt to link "the right" of ownership with what YOU perceive as a "right" to shoot and kill is totally assinine.
You would think they would pass a law against murder. That would end the threat.:-)
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#73467 Aug 12, 2012
Hajime wrote:
blah blah moon blah blah blah olympics blah blah advancement. what about guns?
ooh guns and advancement how? show me.
USSC recognising the 2nd Amendment as an individual right...making the 2nd Amendment applicable to the States and local gov'ts under the 14th Amendment...violent crimes rates are down over the past decade with less use of guns...increased gun ownership and more States passing laws for concealed carry.

So with increased gun ownership and declining violent crime rates...how would you explain that...?

"show me"...there, I just did even though you're nothing special and live in New Zealand where it doesn't matter if you agree or not. Like it or not, WE have the individual right to keep and bear arms...FACT...not going away...deal with it.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73468 Aug 12, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like they were. It also looks like they sold it to someone in law enforcement.
They will probably use it for no knock warrants.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#73469 Aug 12, 2012
Hajime wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats not for defense honey that is for power. what would war be without guns or weaponry?
"Thats not for defense honey that is for power."

So..?

"what would war be without guns or weaponry?"

Extremely messy. Have you ever had a history class...?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73470 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's going great, thanks. The USSC confirmed the right to keep and bear arms as an individual right protected by the 2nd Amendment and applied the same restrictions against infringement to the States and local gov'ts under the 14th Amendment. More and more anti-gun and anti-gun owner laws are going away. Violent crime has been dropping for the last decade even with increased gun sales and less restrictive gun laws. How do you explain that...?
That you as a gun supporter have a limited shelf life....

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73471 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again, YOU are wrong.
There is NO "right" to "shoot and kill"...but obviously YOU DON'T GET IT!
Your ignorance is astounding...just because I exercise my individual right to keep and bear arms...does NOT mean I have "the right to shoot and kill" anyone. Every living person has a right of self defense...and when a criminal threatens the life of another individual, they have given their victim the justification to defend themselves with deadly force against them if necessary.
Your attempt to link "the right" of ownership with what YOU perceive as a "right" to shoot and kill is totally assinine.
No people like you own a gun for fun....

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73472 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>They will probably use it for no knock warrants.
Or an individual in a local militia.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73473 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>How many Americans have you met , personally ?
Oh you think I haven't met and spent time with a yank else I would have a different opinion? Keep dreaming...

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73474 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's going great, thanks. The USSC confirmed the right to keep and bear arms as an individual right protected by the 2nd Amendment and applied the same restrictions against infringement to the States and local gov'ts under the 14th Amendment. More and more anti-gun and anti-gun owner laws are going away. Violent crime has been dropping for the last decade even with increased gun sales and less restrictive gun laws. How do you explain that...?
That most of you are overseas killing people there? That those who believe that are delusional? That you are off with the fairies? That you are too busy worrying about how you are gonna keep your houses after the sub prime motgage incident to worry about killing each other for the moment. That there is an election on and you have been distracted by the tea party and Mitt Romney? Take your pick!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73475 Aug 12, 2012
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
America is a threat to the socialist states and people like you because of our individual freedoms and rights. We are not going away or giving up our guns to you or any other gov't or gov't entity. That's the only way you feel threatened because you can't take our country without disarming the American people. Not even the United Nations will be able to do it...so once again...POUND SAND.
There is no feckin' way anyone who owns a gun in the States believes that they have individual rights and freedoms else they wouldn't have more guns per head of population to ensure it, silly.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73476 Aug 12, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Try not to be ignorant.
Your an embarrassment.
I meet nice Aussie on the net and in person and you don't represent them.
You don't know anything about guns.
You don't know anything about distribution.
Your just ranting and raving.
Try to educate yourself.
Well I would like to say that I have met a nice American but I would be lying especially if you and your bullshit lot on here are anything to go by.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#73477 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That most of you are overseas killing people there? That those who believe that are delusional? That you are off with the fairies? That you are too busy worrying about how you are gonna keep your houses after the sub prime motgage incident to worry about killing each other for the moment. That there is an election on and you have been distracted by the tea party and Mitt Romney? Take your pick!
The tea party looks at Romney as an establishment republican or a RINO.
Dr Freud

UK

#73478 Aug 12, 2012
Hajime wrote:
<quoted text>
So would the opinion stand if i were to say wherever there is crime people should carry guns?
Crime happens. It doesn't matter where you are. Criminals don't make appointments, and there is no such thing as a 'crime-free zone.'
Hajime wrote:
Has america bought this among themselves? do we need guns in new zealand?
How may it be said that successful self-defence was brought on by the possessor of a self-defence device? If you think that you may escape a crime of violence successfully every time one happens, then who am I to prescribe a different course of action?
Hajime wrote:
guns are made for the intention to injure and kill right but the likelyhood swings more towards killing and severe injury.
No such thing is true. Guns are made with one designed purpose, and no other: To accurately expel a projectile along a predefined trajectory. If guns were designed to kill, then they have failed miserably because few than 30% of bullet woundings actually result in a fatality.
In the case you miss the significance of that last statement, it amounts to just this: Guns have a greater than 70% failure rate when death is the intent.
Additionally, the number of guns in private hands in the U.S. which have been involved in any crime is so exceedingly small as to fade into insignificance. So your statement amounts to hype, plain and simple.
Hajime wrote:
i think before we hand guns to several other million users there needs to be a reassurance that these people need to go through compulsory training and not just a gun license. we do not have armed cops here. we have an armed defenders squad in new zealand.
what is the criteria for getting a gun?[/QUTOE]
In the U.S., training is the responsibility of the owner/user, and not that of the state, though some states infringe upon the rights of the citizens and demand such.
[QUOTE who="Hajime"]what if i am a criminal who hasnt been caught yet.
Do you actually read what you write? What is the legal definition of 'criminal?'
Hajime wrote:
along the lines of operating lethal machinery one could say a vehicle presented these dangers. there needs to be strict guidelines on when and where to use it. common sense is not that common believe it or not.
if gun laws are passed i know where to invest my money. is it the same arms company that are providing for your wars in the middle east the carlyle group?
criminals in any shape of form will always be around. what would the police be if the world was crime free.
Address one thing at a time, and not a mishmash of conflated ideas if you desire to conduct a cogent discussion.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73479 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you think I haven't met and spent time with a yank else I would have a different opinion? Keep dreaming...
So some American guy dumped your fat azz and this is how your getting back at him ?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#73480 Aug 12, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The tea party looks at Romney as an establishment republican or a RINO.
Yeah but he has put one of your mates up there as second in command, that should assure them of the tea party vote and it is better a Mitt Romney for the tea party than Obama because that is all that is left?

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#73481 Aug 12, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I would like to say that I have met a nice American but I would be lying especially if you and your bullshit lot on here are anything to go by.
Sweetheart , were getting along fine without you.

But , do not doubt you are as ignorant as they come.

You like a giant mouth trying to attack the USA .

I am going to start calling you :

AUSSIEZILLA.

Here is a song for you sweet pea just substitute AUSSIEZIILA where appropriate.



OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

there goes another kangaroo

AUSSIEZIILA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whitlam is dead. Hooray! 3 min SnyffMyPhartz 27
Woolworths criticised for 'If you don't love it... 3 min Becky 103
Stephen Hawking Discusses White Genocide 6 min The ADELAIDEAN 29
Australian police charge teens over 'racist' tr... 6 min Hugh Knows 133
Free Trade Agreement with China 7 min Mr Humbert 4
Aussie girls dream of Indian studs to rescue them 8 min Hugh Knows 2
Most annoying English accent? 10 min Hugh Knows 14
WAR India v Australia, who will win? 37 min Trev 6,750

Australia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE