Arabic studies offered at Wilcox Place school

Full story: ThisWeek Community Newspapers

Majeda Joorani, the principal of the Alef Ba Arabic Learning Center, teaches a class at the school.
Comments
1 - 20 of 102 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2012
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Ron

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

Let's see, John Freshwater was fired for teaching creationism and religious doctrine, or in other words he was fired for teaching Christianity in a public school. As a person who believes in Christianity, why is it all right for the Wilcox Place school to teach Arabic language lessons and teaching on the "Quran and Islamic manners" from 11:50 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. Salah, or prayer. It seem to me that Christianity is being over run by the people who want to teach Arabic and the "Quran". I guess since it's not a public school, it's all right.
Did you read the article

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

This is a private business that people pay for, it is not a public school. They have every right to open this business and if they can profit from it to keep going. This is a perfect example of the American dream. This is a small business at its best.
USA

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

Did you read the article wrote:
This is a private business that people pay for, it is not a public school. They have every right to open this business and if they can profit from it to keep going. This is a perfect example of the American dream. This is a small business at its best.
It sounds more like they're trying to usurp our culture with the Arab / Islamic culture. Political correctness is a danger to our country.
Did you read the article

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

USA wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds more like they're trying to usurp our culture with the Arab / Islamic culture. Political correctness is a danger to our country.
Whatever, so anything that is against what you believe is wrong. They are running a business, there is not any politically correctness involved. If you want to charge people to learn about the bible, then open your own business and make money.
Arabic Student

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2011

Judged:

Actually, this school used to be run by an amazing teacher. I'm not sure who the current director is, but this school was long in existence before Majeda came on the scene and had a great reputation. I hope that it continues to uphold the strong foundation, which was built by its initial owner.
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2011

Judged:

This country welcomes all different races for those who are hating. By the way looks like a great school and doesn't cost much.

Since: Nov 10

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

ThisWeek welcomes comments regarding stories. Readers are reminded, however, that inflammatory comments directed toward a religion are inappropriate and will be removed.
USA

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

ThisWeek Web Editor wrote:
ThisWeek welcomes comments regarding stories. Readers are reminded, however, that inflammatory comments directed toward a religion are inappropriate and will be removed.
That's right. We can't be inflammatory. We must all be poltically correct.
LOL

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

this is so stupid... i was a students parent at alefba... and majeda joorani and the business before she BOUGHT it was only open for 2 years and my kids were there for all that time, and i never saw her until the last 2-3 months... id appreciate it if u were more honest

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Judged:

USA wrote:
<quoted text>That's right. We can't be inflammatory. We must all be poltically correct.
No, you just have to save your bigotry (and poorly spelled opinions) for Teabag political rallies. Maybe Palin's coming to town?
USA

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you just have to save your bigotry (and poorly spelled opinions) for Teabag political rallies. Maybe Palin's coming to town?
You don't like my opinions, too bad. Here's another opinion,...Arrogant,pompousass ,unpatriotic, America hating leftwing nut radicals like yourself are dangerous to this country. You're right. I don't like "them",(can't specify "arabs" or "muslims" because of the politically correct censor police moderating these forums)...and I like leftwing radicals even less. Something about flying planes into buildings just doesn't seem to inspire a "love for my fellow man" in me.
Ugg

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

USA wrote:
<quoted text>That's right. We can't be inflammatory. We must all be poltically correct.
No, you must be politically correct because you're being an ass that doesn't understand private property rights... which is a conservative value.

Do us a favor and stay in Grove City.
sara

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

go alef ba very good
USA

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

Ugg wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you must be politically correct because you're being an **** that doesn't understand private property rights... which is a conservative value.
Do us a favor and stay in Grove City.
No, you must be politically correct because you're being an **** that doesn't understand private property rights...
No, I perfectly understand private property rights. It's just something about "them" flying planes into our buildings and then celebrating in their streets, afterward, that doesn't set well with me...and there's also something about naive leftwing America hating radicals I don't like either.
Ugg

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

USA wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>No, I perfectly understand private property rights. It's just something about "them" flying planes into our buildings and then celebrating in their streets, afterward, that doesn't set well with me...and there's also something about naive leftwing America hating radicals I don't like either.
No, you don't understand private property rights if it excludes a "them". That may have been how private property worked in 1811, but not 2011.

Let me get this straight... So you're going to the "liberal media" tell you to hate all Muslims just because they pointed the camera at a few that were celebrating in the street. Let me add some perspective. There are over a billion muslims in the world. 19 flew a plane into NYC and even if you saw 1000 (which you didn't) celebrating on camera, that's not even close to 1% of the Muslim population.

To judge Muslims as a whole for 9/11 is like judging every Christian for the God Hates F*gs people, McVeigh, Hitler, and anyone else who uses religion for their own selfish reasons. That's what radical Islam is: A political group using an established religion to achieve power. That's it. Every religion, ideological, and economic system in the world has been "used" like this.

Maybe you're wanting to judge them based on their polled sentiment toward the US. Ok. But their sentiment towards the USA is based on almost 70 years in US involvement in their affairs. We've funded dictatorships, funded rebellions that turned into dictators, and even bombed innocents in our "cold" wars against the Soviets and communism. This is what created the radical islamist movements.

I agree with you on naive liberals. Heck, I can't stand naive people. But I think you're being just as arrogant and naive as well.
bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

I made comments on this forum which was censored away....typical effort of our media control of our once free society
USA

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Ugg wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you don't understand private property rights if it excludes a "them". That may have been how private property worked in 1811, but not 2011.
Let me get this straight... So you're going to the "liberal media" tell you to hate all Muslims just because they pointed the camera at a few that were celebrating in the street. Let me add some perspective. There are over a billion muslims in the world. 19 flew a plane into NYC and even if you saw 1000 (which you didn't) celebrating on camera, that's not even close to 1% of the Muslim population.
To judge Muslims as a whole for 9/11 is like judging every Christian for the God Hates F*gs people, McVeigh, Hitler, and anyone else who uses religion for their own selfish reasons. That's what radical Islam is: A political group using an established religion to achieve power. That's it. Every religion, ideological, and economic system in the world has been "used" like this.
Maybe you're wanting to judge them based on their polled sentiment toward the US. Ok. But their sentiment towards the USA is based on almost 70 years in US involvement in their affairs. We've funded dictatorships, funded rebellions that turned into dictators, and even bombed innocents in our "cold" wars against the Soviets and communism. This is what created the radical islamist movements.
I agree with you on naive liberals. Heck, I can't stand naive people. But I think you're being just as arrogant and naive as well.
But their sentiment towards the USA is based on almost 70 years in US involvement in their affairs. We've funded dictatorships, funded rebellions that turned into dictators, and even bombed innocents in our "cold" wars against the Soviets and communism.
So, what you're saying is, the US is evil? That because of our involvement into their affairs we deserved 911 and other acts of islamic terrorism that was committed against ourselves and against other countries around the world? Are you accusing America of being a terrorist state?
What's your opinion of the islamic theocracy of Iran? Do you think they suppress and brutalize their own people? Egypts people,(it was a secular movement), rose up and ousted a 30 year Mubarak dictatorship. Iran's islamic government interjected and praised the demonstrations in Egypt, but immediately suppressed a similar uprising of the people in their own country. What do you think about that? What do you think of a nuclear armed Iran? What's your opinion of Hezbollah and Hammas?
Are they terrorist organizations? In your opinion, Is America evil?
Ugg

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

USA wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>So, what you're saying is, the US is evil? That because of our involvement into their affairs we deserved 911 and other acts of islamic terrorism that was committed against ourselves and against other countries around the world? Are you accusing America of being a terrorist state?
What's your opinion of the islamic theocracy of Iran? Do you think they suppress and brutalize their own people? Egypts people,(it was a secular movement), rose up and ousted a 30 year Mubarak dictatorship. Iran's islamic government interjected and praised the demonstrations in Egypt, but immediately suppressed a similar uprising of the people in their own country. What do you think about that? What do you think of a nuclear armed Iran? What's your opinion of Hezbollah and Hammas?
Are they terrorist organizations? In your opinion, Is America evil?
Lol. Is it 2002? Talk about a dated argument... Please get some new material man. Please.

1) Your question "Is America evil" is loaded.

2) You probably can't define "evil" without implicating either the US government of being evil at some point in history, nor can you define how I should judge "America" (government policies, people, culture, etc).

3) You likely asked this question to bait me and get me off topic. Let's be honest, I schooled you and rather than respond with examples, logic, or history, you changed the subject and implied that I'm anti-American. That's right up there with liberals that call people "Racist" because they can't defend their own views. Nice work... You're now as smart as the people you hate.

4) Your implied dislike of Iran ignores the historical missteps the United States itself took when installing the Shah in the 1950s, giving rise the to radical islamist movement and anti-American motives today. Not to mention all of the decisions we made during the cold war that created, funded, and gave weapons to these movements.

Your still wrong. When you offer responses to what I said earlier, I'll answer the rest of your off-topic questions. In the meantime, try to research true conservative values like private property rights and how legally, none of these private Arabic studies programs are a problem. It's no wonder people call Grove City, "Grove-tucky", when there are people like you representing it.
USA

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Ugg wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Is it 2002? Talk about a dated argument... Please get some new material man. Please.
2) You probably can't define "evil" without implicating either the US government of being evil at some point in history, nor can you define how I should judge "America" (government policies, people, culture, etc).
3) You likely asked this question to bait me and get me off topic. Let's be honest, I schooled you and rather than respond with examples, logic, or history, you changed the subject and implied that I'm anti-American. That's right up there with liberals that call people "Racist" because they can't defend their own views. Nice work... You're now as smart as the people you hate.
4) Your implied dislike of Iran ignores the historical missteps the United States itself took when installing the Shah in the 1950s, giving rise the to radical islamist movement and anti-American motives today. Not to mention all of the decisions we made during the cold war that created, funded, and gave weapons to these movements.
Your still wrong. When you offer responses to what I said earlier, I'll answer the rest of your off-topic questions. In the meantime, try to research true conservative values like private property rights and how legally, none of these private Arabic studies programs are a problem. It's no wonder people call Grove City, "Grove-tucky", when there are people like you representing it.
What was loaded about it? I can answer the question. America is not evil. Do you agree?
2) You probably can't define "evil" without implicating either the US government of being evil at some point in history, nor can you define how I should judge "America"
Below are some of your comments...
But their sentiment towards the USA is based on almost 70 years in US involvement in their affairs.
We've funded dictatorships, funded rebellions that turned into dictators, and even bombed innocents in our "cold" wars against the Soviets and communism.
This is what created the radical islamist movements.
You probably can't define "evil" without implicating either the US government
You said that we can't define "evil" without implicating the US government and that I can't define how you should judge "America". Okay, I'm asking you. How are you defining and judging America? Is America evil?
4) Your implied dislike of Iran ignores the historical missteps the United States itself took when installing the Shah in the 1950s, giving rise the to radical islamist movement and anti-American motives today.
...and what are you implying, that the islamic theocracy in Iran is good and that the United States is evil?

What's your opinion of Israel? What do you think of a nuclear armed Iran? What's your opinion of Hezbollah and Hammas? Are they terrorist organizations?
Ugg

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

USA wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>What was loaded about it? I can answer the question. America is not evil. Do you agree?
I told you what was loaded. Please reread. I noticed you failed to quote that part.:-) Probably because you can't define 'evil' for me. I think it's cause you know that evil is defined and judged based on behavior and you know that the United States' behavior hasn't and isn't 100% innocent in the world.

Look, give it up dude. You're not fooling me. You're the one on the defensive here by being against a private Arabic Learning Center in Dublin. And you've perpetuated a massive logical fallacy in your thinking while elevating a matter of local, private property rights (something a constitutional conservative should support) to a convoluted, subjective global matter. The fail is in your court.

Until you can defend your positions on the school without using the phrase "them" which lacks definition, legal support, and is morally wrong, you're IN THE WRONG. Case closed. Come to me with a Constitution and we'll talk.
USA wrote:
...and what are you implying, that the islamic theocracy in Iran is good and that the United States is evil?
So my offering of historical perspective and motive implies that Iran = good and USA = evil? Lol. Nice try. You have all the right wing tricks of 2002 up your sleeve though.
USA wrote:
What's your opinion of Israel? What do you think of a nuclear armed Iran? What's your opinion of Hezbollah and Hammas? Are they terrorist organizations?
What does my opinion of Israel have to do with this? Israel's fine... Don't you believe in a God who's bigger than evil and protects his chosen people? Do you not trust God? Do you hate God?

OHHH AND HE FLIPS THE SWITCH! See how I did that? See... Ooooo... That was so Bill O' Reilly of me.

I can play your game too dude. I could be like the lefties and call you a racist (which you're kinda close to truly being). But I'm a constitutional conservative and an evangelical who would rather educate.

Better luck next time!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

39 Users are viewing the World News Forum right now

Search the World News Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 min ocxz 115,500
Millions attended the Iglesia Ni Cristo Grand B... (Mar '12) 2 min ELIAS IBARRA 1,377
Croat, Serb organisations urge reconciliation (Jan '14) 5 min Adi 9,016
NATO's North Atlantic Council Condemns Russia's... 5 min Pro-Ukraine 6,680
LDS Apostle visited Tonga 8 min Dana Robertson 8,597
Vietnam students win 4 golds, silvers at int'l ... 10 min tha phuong cau thuc 6
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 13 min TW_sugar_daddio 24
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 3 hr Sheilaa 357,134
•••
•••