It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,350

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Since: Sep 09

Sunbury, OH

#72932 Aug 9, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo !
Why?
...because we disagree on a few things?

Can you be SPECIFIC as to WHY you have so much disdain for me other than we BOTH have a right to our beliefs?

Is that really a valid reason?

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72933 Aug 9, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>I would recommend the sock.
No ballistic finger print.
I will be right back I need to lock up my socks.
LOL...you see...now that made me laugh!
Seriously, you put a smile on my face:)

Why can't you get along with me, and allow me to exercise my right to my opinion just like you, without insulting me?

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#72934 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
SO...you dodge all questions?
Why run from the questions?
...and why did you move the goal posts from HUMAN RIGHTS, to American rights?
run run run
lol
You're so gone I bet you could walk into a shopping mall the day after Thanksgiving and think they were all there for you.

LOL!!!!

Human rights are embedded in American rights dolt.

Something makes me think you argue with everyone from the neighbor next door about how flowers are nothing more than stunted colored ivy to a kid selling lemonade advising the poor victim lemons come from trees as if he didn't know.

I'm done with you and have no doubt your immediate neighbors were done with you some four and a half years ago explaining your need to get some weird sort of social connection in here.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#72935 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>LOL...you see...now that made me laugh!
Seriously, you put a smile on my face:)
Why can't you get along with me, and allow me to exercise my right to my opinion just like you, without insulting me?
Easy.

Because your only interest in here is to provide yourself as the resident troll.
voteearlyvoteoft en

Virginia Beach, VA

#72936 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
We have stored his guns in a "safe" and also have a gun lock on the actual gun.
WE did this not so much because of LAW, but to keep our four kids from accessing and playing with them....like many kids do :(
I would use them for self defense if I could get to them in time...but in REALITY...I would not get there in time:)
I have a better chance sicking my Great Dane/St Bernard mix on them!
lol
Isn't that the problem, a safely stored gun is generally useless when needed for self defense.........

Criminals are generally more afraid of dogs than homeowners with guns.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72937 Aug 9, 2012
Pam Jordan wrote:
<quoted text>
You stated your only concern was that convicted felons not be able to own guns.
I said the only "gun laws" I agree with are those regulating and preventing violent felons or criminally insane from getting guns legally!
I have "concerns" about a lot of things...that is a BIG difference from LAWS!
Get it?
Laws?
Concerns?
There is a difference!
Pam Jordan wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently it's more than that so yeah girl....you're a liar.
How is it more than that?
What other "laws" regulating guns have I agreed with?
can you be specific?
Sorry "apparently there's more" just don't cut it!
BE SPECIFIC...or you'll end up looking like the liar.
Guilty conscious?
Pam Jordan wrote:
<quoted text>
And your efforts in here are no greater than other trolls whose only wish is to disrupt threads with smartass quips who in turn hold no real position on the subject matter the thread is based on..
LOL!!!
Do you know what a TROLL is?
someone who posts OFF topic, to cause maximum disruption!
Sorry, but you not liking me, or my stance on guns does not make one a troll!
But if you're desperate.....
Pam Jordan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just a troll.
Does dodging ALL questions pertaining to guns, calling names, insulting, and crying make you a troll?
Quit projecting your own insecurities onto others...eh?
Pam Jordan wrote:
<quoted text> because you're more insecure than a 2 week old kitten in the dog pound or you need to mis=x it up as a social life but you're a troll.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lol

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#72938 Aug 9, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
Gun..........studpid is the oldest thread and it gives a platform to buy guns and make use of it..
This is my observation not born out of my ignorance
Sorry, but this is not the oldest thread on this site.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72939 Aug 9, 2012
Pam Jordan wrote:
<quoted text>
And how well can you defend yourself against an armed intruder when you only have a little league bat?
It's called effectiveness game player and I want my odds of survival to be the highest possible.
If the intruder is UNARMED, then you'd have a GREAT CHANCE with a bat slugger!

BUT...that wasn't the point!
The point was:
You do not lose your right to defend yourself if you don't have a gun.
You can still defend yourself without a gun!

So to say gun control takes away the right to defend yourself is WRONG!

...that doesn't mean I will use a bat instead of a gun. It doesn't mean I will curl in a ball and die, it doesn't mean I will eat an Italian dinner on Friday...IT MEANS THAT YOU STILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND YOURSELF!

Still confused?

Location hidden

#72940 Aug 9, 2012
HIPPY wrote:
guns should be allowed in australia because aussies cant fight
<chuckle>

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72941 Aug 9, 2012
voteearlyvoteoften wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that the problem, a safely stored gun is generally useless when needed for self defense.........
Criminals are generally more afraid of dogs than homeowners with guns.
Yes, I agree criminals will back away from a home, if they see a large dog!

ALSO, I agree the gun is USELESS for self defense, if you can't get to it in time!

BUT, when children are 14 times more likely to accidentally shoot themselves, than it being used against an "intruder"...I have to put my kids safety FIRST!

...and guess what?
They're still alive, and I've NEVER had to use my gun against a "bad guy"!

P.S. There is a NEW gun safe I saw recently!
It was AWESOME!...but VERY EXPENSIVE!
It is a box you can keep bedside!
It has a sensor where it scans >your< hand, and will ONLY open (immediately) for YOU with nothing more than putting your hand on the TOP of the case!
I'd love to have that!

Safe from kids. Safe from the bad guy getting access to it!
...and at you bedside means an even FASTER response by the homeowner!
Dr Freud

UK

#72942 Aug 9, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that be the case if no one had guns or just one side?
If no one had guns, then we'd be right back to where we were before guns: Might makes right. Are you sure you want that kind of world? Where the strongest and most agile get to dictate life to you either at the point of a knife or a powerful set of fists and feet.

At least with guns, there is equalization of force where the bad actors a made to reconsider what they have in mind, for they are made to realize that the consequences of their acts will be immediate and likely permanent.

Apparently you would have a world where the victim count would be absolutely horrendous. Psychologically speaking, that mindset bespeaks the masochistic.

Location hidden

#72943 Aug 9, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
All those selling arms should have their bussinesses shut down...every country should be banned from selling weapons to anyone... All countries should start phasing out the selling of all arms to countries at war, they should also stop selling guns to the general population except those who work in areas like farming and culling where it is necessary but single shootes only...The rest of the public should realise that "GUNS DO KILL PEOPLE" else all those people killed by guns would still be alive, would they not?...The stupidity of this argument is that it has gone on way to long the right to bear arm policy should be abolished...The law is outmoded and archaic and needs to be changed along with the idiotic mentality of all those who still believe it.
No one in the history of the universe was ever killed by a gun. Guns are inanimate objects - tools and nothing more. Tools are incapable of self action.
It is hateful people who kill other people, and their choice of tools to do it varies down throughout human history.

As they say at the race track, "it is impossible to uninvent speed.". It is slo impossible to uninvent the gun. Guns are and will continue to be manufactured by someone somewhere even if it is in their own garage or basement. Your goal is impossible to obtain. Your form of Utopia simply does not exist, and only fools pursue the impossible.
Go buy a clue somewhere.
Dr Freud

UK

#72944 Aug 9, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine the Columbine masacre without guns etc...do you get the picture, your point is a silly one?...because all these people were killed by guns, d'ha
Columbine happened because the victims were all disarmed. It was the very classic example of a 'gun-free school zone.' It was gun-free for the bad actors to have have their way without resistance. Apparently you think that keeping people disarmed and therefore easy targets is a good thing. Once again: That psychology bespeaks the masochistic.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72945 Aug 9, 2012
Pro gunners will probably like this!
DON'T WORRY...YOU'LL LIKE IT!

This happened a few houses down from ME...on my road!

I actually went to school 6-12th and graduated with this guy!
JP Mutter!

A Johnstown resident shot and killed an intruder who tried to rob him early this morning, a Licking County coroner’s investigator said.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local...

John P Mutter was asleep in his bed in the 400 block of Sunset Drive when a man poked him in the head with a shotgun about 2:15 a.m., investigator George Ridgeway said.

“He kept a weapon nearby because he lived alone, and it was the only way to protect himself,” he said.

The intruder apparently entered the house through an unlocked door and had picked up one of Mutter’s own guns.

A paraplegic, Mutter pulled a gun from under the covers and shot the intruder, who died in the house, Ridgeway said!!!!!!

You see, I agree with you gun nuts sometimes!
LOL

WAY TO GO JP!!!

That could have been MY house!

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#72946 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>This is what keeps going over your head!
You seem to be under the impression that I support the UK gun restrictions...I DO NOT!
BUT, we can't ignore the fact that gun deaths and crime are extremely LOW compared to the US, and it doesn't change the fact that they CAN use their legally registered shot gun in self defense under the Castle Doctrine (created by the UK)!
Let me make this easy for you:
Can the people of the UK use their guns for self defense if in immediate danger...YES!
Do I agree with all of the the UK's gun restrictions...NO!
Any questions?
Gun crime is really rising in that country.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/157640...

that was 2008, much worse now.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_who...

More murders per capita occur in the UK than the US in 2004.

I guess they have a lot of knives and baseball bats in the UK.

And no, subjects in the UK cannot use their guns for self defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_ (farmer)

When he came up for appeal, they would not release him because he was unapologetic and posed a danger to OTHER BURGLARS.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#72947 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>If the intruder is UNARMED, then you'd have a GREAT CHANCE with a bat slugger!
BUT...that wasn't the point!
The point was:
You do not lose your right to defend yourself if you don't have a gun.
You can still defend yourself without a gun!
So to say gun control takes away the right to defend yourself is WRONG!
...that doesn't mean I will use a bat instead of a gun. It doesn't mean I will curl in a ball and die, it doesn't mean I will eat an Italian dinner on Friday...IT MEANS THAT YOU STILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND YOURSELF!
Still confused?
Your other post is just a baiter but I'll answer this -

The undeniable fact is your chances against being killed, raped or robbed by an intruder or accoster on the street is greater given you have a gun.

For me at least that makes sense to not only carry but have a few in my residence.

It's a free country and if you choose to use neon colored Wilson tennis balls as a means of defense then by all means have at it.

“Imaginez tous les gens”

Sunbury, OH

#72948 Aug 9, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
No one in the history of the universe was ever killed by a gun. Guns are inanimate objects - tools and nothing more. Tools are incapable of self action.
It is hateful people who kill other people, and their choice of tools to do it varies down throughout human history.
So, are you saying a toaster doesn't toast toast?
Toast toasts toast?

Are you saying "glasses don't see, eyes see" is a good argument against wearing glasses?

Glasses are a tool which help people to see just as guns are a tool that help people to kill and injure others.
voteearlyvoteoft en

Virginia Beach, VA

#72949 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It has a sensor where it scans >your< hand, and will ONLY open (immediately) for YOU with nothing more than putting your hand on the TOP of the case!
Do they make them big enough to hold a 12 gage?

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#72950 Aug 9, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
A firearm suitable for mass murder.
You know, the ones they use.
Oh yea, the pen your politicans used to kill off the aborigines.

Yea, it is a weapon of mass destruction.

“All things considered”

Location hidden

#72951 Aug 9, 2012
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree criminals will back away from a home, if they see a large dog!
ALSO, I agree the gun is USELESS for self defense, if you can't get to it in time!
BUT, when children are 14 times more likely to accidentally shoot themselves, than it being used against an "intruder"...I have to put my kids safety FIRST!
...and guess what?
They're still alive, and I've NEVER had to use my gun against a "bad guy"!
I'd love to have that!
Safe from kids. Safe from the bad guy getting access to it!
...and at you bedside means an even FASTER response by the homeowner!
A doctor a few years ago had two men enter his home, tie his wife and daughter up as well as the doctor himself, raped his wife and daughter then set the home on fire burning to death his wife and offspring while he managed to get himself free at the last minute.

Violence does happen. Fires don't hit everyone's home either but they do happen. For this reason I have guns and fire extinguishers readily available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

World News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 2 min AbbiJZombie 373,608
NATO's North Atlantic Council Condemns Russia's... (Mar '14) 10 min Clear Dharma 9,184
Nicki Minaj To Host MTV Europe Music Awards 11 min distraction 1
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 min I can read 22,938
Early detection of breast cancer tumour importa... 16 min Pleasing hamos si... 2
Hong Kong protesters set deadline for government 18 min I can read 9
Who are Iraq's Sunni Arabs and What did we Do t... 20 min truth 427

World News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE