Sikh religion viewed unfavorably in B.C.

May 20, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Vancouver Sun

A new poll shows British Columbians are not nearly as favorably disposed to some religions, particularly Sikhism , as many would expect.

Comments
7,301 - 7,320 of 10,941 Comments Last updated Friday
Manveer

Surrey, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Judged:

The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
From reading more about this guy, I don't think it mattered if it were Sikhs or Muslims or Hindus.
He undoubtedly knew that he was attacking a Sikh temple, he just did not care.
He saw turbans, and went into action.
Sounds like he was damaged goods from the military, probably had all sorts of depression and mental issues.
Yea you're right even that group he was with said "he was crazy." He suicided after killing them, very sad the highly decorated officer who came was also killed by this .. Terrorist.
Lund from Sweden

Norrköping, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Judged:

Kartar wrote:
Hi fellow Sikhs, let us stop wearing turbans. Guruji said "keep kesh", not "wear turban". Let us stop wearing turban to stop being identified as middle-eastern Muslims.
Why did your gurus wear them then, muslims dont wear turbans, they wear caps
Kartar

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Lund from Sweden wrote:
<quoted text>muslims dont wear turbans, they wear caps
Google "Osama bin Laden".
The Truth

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Here is the Muslim spin on turbans:

Although the turban pre-dates Islam it has become a symbol of Muslim identity with the expression "to put on a turban" being associated with conversion to Islam. The Prophet Mohammad, known as the weaver of the turban, believed the headdress represented piety, dignity and manhood and used it as a way of distinguishing Muslims from other Arab civilizations who wore similar clothing.

There is no obligation for Islamic men to wear turbans with some, particularly in Western societies, choosing to wear no head covering at all and others opting for skull caps which are similar to those worn by Orthodox Jews. This short, rounded cap, known as a taqiyah, is worn to emulate Mohammad's followers and is often worn during prayer. It can also be worn underneath a turban. Furthermore, turbans are not exclusive to Islam but are a prominent feature of Sikhism as well.
Ramafuchs

Köln, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

i thought that india was the only one country which is banal . Now i know USA is as abysmal and nasty as India
Ramafuchs

Köln, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

In Europe Sikhs are respected.
In India as well.
I have no idea about the life of Sikhs in USA
Ramafuchs

Köln, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

AS AN INDIAN BORN non person i know the plight of Sikhs and as a person without religious views I keep aloof from any religious irrationality.
Serpent

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Ramafuchs wrote:
In Europe Sikhs are respected.
In India as well.
I have no idea about the life of Sikhs in USA
They are not respected in Europe, who are you trying to BS?
For that matter, they are not respected anywhere.
Get over it..eh!!
Canadian

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Sikhs who do not wear turban ("Mona Sikhs") are pretty cool guys. They have assimilated well within the Canadian society.
Maureen

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

35% would now approve versus 25%? You mean there are 10% more Sikhs living there now?:)
come on wrote:
<quoted text>
I."good news for Sikhs in this province is that more people than the Canadian average would look favorably on a family member marrying a Sikh.
Thirty-five per cent of British Columbians would approve of a Sikh intermarriage, compared to a Canadian average of just 25 per cent."
II.there is significant interaction among Sikhs and others in B.C. Compared to other Canadians, more British Columbians (36 per cent) say they have Sikh friends
III.The national poll of more than 1,000 Canadians only surveyed 140 British Columbians, so it’s necessary to show some caution about interpreting the results
III.to put the B.C. Sikh numbers in national context, here is an overview of key Canadian results. Islam scored the lowest favourability rating, just 28 per cent. Sikhism came in at 30 per cent
LASTLY
READ MY COMMENTS
Why do these polling numbers come down so hard on Sikhs in B.C.?
The connection with violence may or may not be unfair. But it no doubt has a lot to do with the 1985 bombing of an Air India jetliner, which was linked to B.C. Sikhs -- as well as to recent front-page news reports of vicious gang killings by members of the Indo-Canadian/Sikh community.
The generally low view of Sikhism as a religion can also be partly explained by residents' ignorance of the faith, which is revealed in the poll.{ B.C. resident Kalwant Singh Sahota, who pressed for permission to not wear a hardhat at his saw mill job in Delta
FIRST COMMENT 1985 BOMBING IS BEHIND US it will fade from memory
SECOND COMMENT MR SAHOTA STUCK TO DICTATES OF HIS RELIGION a feather in his turban AND MY GURFATEH
The Truth

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Canadian wrote:
Sikhs who do not wear turban ("Mona Sikhs") are pretty cool guys. They have assimilated well within the Canadian society.
I know a couple Sikhs that are completely independant of their families, they live in high rises far from the Indian ghettos, and are all around, normal people.

They believe in the peaceful aspect of Sikhism, but not the turbans, knives, and militant part.
Serpent

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

So how many Medals did the 30m Sikhs win in the Olympics ???
Ans: None !!
Hahaha, what a bunch of losers!!

Let's see, compared to China, how many Medals did India win;
China...88 Medals
India.....6 Medals

This goes to prove that people from India, including Sikhs can't build sh^t and can't achieve sh^t.

Canada needs people but the people from India are definitely not the kind of people Canada needs. They are losers! We need people like the Chinese who can build, organize and achieve great things for the country that takes them in.
again

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2012

:www.nicedaynow.com/news/19240 192/2012/08/120811.shtml

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

There is a double standard that is happening in this country.

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/ ...

Somehow they can have soccer tournaments that LIMITS the amount of white Canadians allowed on a team.

Can white people build a European-Canadian soccer tournament and limit the amount of non-Caucasians on a team?

These people call it, "....wanting to bring together young South Asian migrants or descendants of South Asian migrants to promote sport, participation and culture."

You see if white people said the exact same thing as these "Indo-Canadians", they would be called racist!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

Sorry the here's the correct link

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

Here is another positive contribution of the Sikh community that ironically came out on the same day as the article above.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/u-s-facebook-page-calls...

Is this article really surprising? They don't give a damn about Canadian culture, why would they care about American culture?

Next time you cross into the US and people ask where you are from, please say India and not Canada....you'll be doing us all a favour.
Manveer

Surrey, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

Serpent wrote:
So how many Medals did the 30m Sikhs win in the Olympics ???
Ans: None !!
Let's see, compared to China, how many Medals did India win;
China...88 Medals
India.....6 Medals
This goes to prove that people from India, including Sikhs can't build sh^t and can't achieve sh^t.
Canada needs people but the people from India are definitely not the kind of people Canada needs. They are losers! We need people like the Chinese who can build, organize and achieve great things for the country that takes them in.
How many did you win? Btw, the Chinese were caught cheating in a couple of rents and had several warnings in other ones. A few Silver medal wins by them were followed by a show of poor sportsmanship. These are the people you're writing so highly of..?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

How many did you win? Are you referring to Canadians or white people? If you meant Canada we won 18 medals. We have 34 million people and India has a billion and we won 3x the amount of medals that India did. I think this just might prove that India is the most useless country on the planet.

If you meant how many medals did white people win for Canada, I think EVERY medal except for one (wrestling) were won/co-won by white people.

I honestly can't believe that India had only 6 medals in the olympics and it has the 2nd largest population in the world. Pathetic doesn't even describe that feat.
The Truth

Abbotsford, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

BuckFurnaby wrote:
There is a double standard that is happening in this country.
http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/ ...
Somehow they can have soccer tournaments that LIMITS the amount of white Canadians allowed on a team.
Can white people build a European-Canadian soccer tournament and limit the amount of non-Caucasians on a team?
These people call it, "....wanting to bring together young South Asian migrants or descendants of South Asian migrants to promote sport, participation and culture."
You see if white people said the exact same thing as these "Indo-Canadians", they would be called racist!!!
This is shocking!

What possible reason do these people have to start "affirmative action" on kids soccer teams.

Next they will have to have a handicapped person, and a paraplegic player.

I thought we were way beyond this type of ridiculous behaviour.

Crazy

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Judged:

The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This is shocking!
What possible reason do these people have to start "affirmative action" on kids soccer teams.
Next they will have to have a handicapped person, and a paraplegic player.
I thought we were way beyond this type of ridiculous behaviour.
Crazy
It's not shocking.....it's racist.

I like how no Sikh has responded to the comments I posted.... to the assimilated Canadian Sikhs,start educating new Sikhs on how to conform to our way of life in Canada.....we are running out of patience with you.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••