In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments
13,521 - 13,540 of 47,724 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2013

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text> Right....
<quoted text>
Tell me, when has an atheist or irreligious person ever suppressed you?
When has a religious person made you feel suppressed or suppressed you?
Don't you think that, just maybe, it could be a sea of religious people or zealots you meant to say? Do you know how many atheists I know outside of this forum? Wait, let's change that just a bit.
Do you know how many atheists I've known, met, physically, called friend, during 20+ something odd years of being an atheist?
10? 15? For the first 10 years I was atheist I knew probably 2-3 other atheists.
Lets look at something you said just a bit earlier.
<quoted text> Trust me, I get that. I do. I get that so fucking much. I get it.
I get it.
You care a whole lot about what you believe or don't believe though, huh.
Of course~.
<quoted text> "These atheists" "Stalinbots" "kind of tendencies" "exhibiting"
"over here"
Thanks for policing the atheist forum and making sure we know whats what, eh? We need to stay in line, yes?
Can't be having us atheists and irreligious gettin "uppity"...by god...
I see, if it's pointed out that theists are intolerant, it's really the atheists that are intolerant. Theists commonly say, "tolerance is needed", when it is the atheist being discussed, to mean we need to tolerate theists, and STFU.
BTW, I don't want your religion or any religion suppressed. I just want it to reach its boundary the moment it decides to interject itself in any way into my life. For some people that will be the mouth, eyeballs, or skin.
<quoted text>Do you see what you said right there? Capture and destroy the components of a religious world that are the destructive ones, but only them? I think there is a better way than capturing and destroying. Despots and awful people will always be there, we should watch for that, certainly.
But...
Who are "the rest" as you put it?
The ones that turn an eye and look the other way because they are good?
Are they? That is good? I really don't see it that way.
But, I'm not theist.
Another excellent post! We're making headway today!

“I write too fast”

Since: Mar 11

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
Love the new avatar
<quoted text>
Fits you perfectly
Teehee!
hee, hee, hee

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>Hi WN, I've got two tickets for Benny Hinn. Wanna go? Lol! I'm just kidding. I think hes less than genuine. Good morning.:)
Hey Al!

I'll give you this.

You are becoming a master of the understatement.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

I'm about 2 hours behind on reading, but so far, I'm giving this thread the "Finally, a discussion!" Award.

I think we need a false dichotomy ticker. I've counted several.

We have respect, no respect, and disrespect. Three things, not two things, three things. Count them. One ha ha, two ha ha, three ha ha, three things. Now we'll write it out. 3 is like an 8 that has been side swiped by an over zealous taxi driver.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>My son tells me almost daily now that he is so much more appreciative of even the small things in life, and how much love and support he sees in his life that he really just took for granted before. And he tells me several times a day,'I love you so much, Mom'. That's what moms are for.
.. because of your love, he's on the road to recovery ..

.. big HEART judgeit click !!..

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>This is a wonderful post!
And I love Malory, Chaucer etc. My favorite classes in high school were English Lit. And I had the biggest crush on my English lit teacher! I was all of 15 but I think the romance of the writing of that time stirred me. It still does. I get all weak in the knees with the poetry of many of that era. Ask Mac if you don't believe that!
Thanks!

Writing is the most seductive people can be - it's a passionate, seductive art, getting into people's minds, getting into your own.

That's why DF is here! And HL - I think it's the writing that draws us here.

You must have met NightSerf? He has great mastery of the English language. It's quite beautiful to play off writing with him. He and I did it on the Faith thread waaaaaay back, wrote a couple poems in middle English to each other on there. That was fun!
JEB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Well then, we can add virulent philosophies to that.
What is it that you enjoy so much that is the consequence of violence? I hope it's people coming to their senses and recognizing that violence for any reason is wrong and that the same things can be accomplished through peaceful and sane communication. Now, if the rest of the world can learn that....
Yes agree.

Leon Trotsky and the Red Terror did not and shot people who disagreed.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks so much.
My son tells me almost daily now that he is so much more appreciative of even the small things in life, and how much love and support he sees in his life that he really just took for granted before. And he tells me several times a day,'I love you so much, Mom'. That's what moms are for.
Ahhhh, that's wonderful news! I'm quite glad to hear that!

yaaaaaaaaay!

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
Hey People.
You are all narking on True Truth.
Please Quit it.
Oh, he likes the attention.

:p

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

Boss of the Inland Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Al!
I'll give you this.
You are becoming a master of the understatement.
Thanks????
Lol! How's it going Aero? Hope you're having a most excellent day!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>Hi WN, I've got two tickets for Benny Hinn. Wanna go? Lol! I'm just kidding. I think hes less than genuine. Good morning.:)
Good afternoon, Al.

I'll just pass on the Benny Hinn. If I have time for an event of any sort, I'll just go watch the Braves lose again.(dangit!) I'd rather donate money to them as they take a real interest in the school children of this state. My granddaughter sang at the opening of the Braves minor team last month. Then a lot of kids got to play games on the field in between innings. We all walked away with a Braves blanket. Yeah, I think I'll just donate my money to someone who cares about the children in our state and promotes education and physical fitness programs.

Benny Hinn less than genuine? All praise Benny and raise your arms and bodies hit the floor in exaltation of him!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search...

I think there was one woman in there to whom he secretly said 'Oh, stop trying to upstage me and just fall down!'

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why the Christian treatment of atheists in America has been so immoral. We atheists have always been depicted as untrustworthy. You saw the Bush quote.
.. young George was just expressing his gratitude to Christian fundamentalism. What's wrong with that ??..

.. you know how I love gossip so I'll tell you a story ..

.. did you know that when young George was in the National Guard he was arrested by the Houston Police for cocaine possession? Old George knew that young George was in deep shit and rescued junior, had him enter a religious drug/alcohol rehabilitation center in CA ..

.. young George was guided away from drugs to Jesus. Old George also knew young George would receive a dishonorable discharge from the Guard so had junior's arrest record expunged, even removed from the police blotter ..

.. young George quit drugs, became a model born-again Christian and became president thanks to the efforts of "C" Street ..

.. the end ..

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, you think I care.
You are wrong.
Follow the thread, we were speaking of USMC DI's.
Same difference. I had two Ex Marine DI's that had changed service because the Army offered a few differences as far as station choices for family reason.

And you care, or you wouldn't make it a point to point it out that you don't.

See, I care what you're input is. It's of use to me.

But "use", in the context I mean it as being useful, isn't dependent on you. You just happen to be a good one to use and you're here and make yourself available.

So I use you.

It's a Ventriloquist/dummy relationship, and you aren't the Ventriloquist.

Understand?

Good dummy, good dummy.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3160/2897693032...

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You think they would assassinate someone who did that?
I would bet they'd be plotting before it got released.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a really good point.
Uhm...tantric sex - or zen sex - those are experiences you generally, but now always, have with a partner!
Where in the heck did Mac disappear to? I gotta have a talk with that boy.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
I'm about 2 hours behind on reading, but so far, I'm giving this thread the "Finally, a discussion!" Award.
I think we need a false dichotomy ticker. I've counted several.
We have respect, no respect, and disrespect. Three things, not two things, three things. Count them. One ha ha, two ha ha, three ha ha, three things. Now we'll write it out. 3 is like an 8 that has been side swiped by an over zealous taxi driver.
Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Good afternoon, Al.
I'll just pass on the Benny Hinn. If I have time for an event of any sort, I'll just go watch the Braves lose again.(dangit!) I'd rather donate money to them as they take a real interest in the school children of this state. My granddaughter sang at the opening of the Braves minor team last month. Then a lot of kids got to play games on the field in between innings. We all walked away with a Braves blanket. Yeah, I think I'll just donate my money to someone who cares about the children in our state and promotes education and physical fitness programs.
Benny Hinn less than genuine? All praise Benny and raise your arms and bodies hit the floor in exaltation of him!
I think there was one woman in there to whom he secretly said 'Oh, stop trying to upstage me and just fall down!'
Wow! I almost fell myself watching the video. Not.
Well at least I came across an Adam Ant song I haven't heard in years. Thanks!

Congratulations on your granddaughters big day! It's a big deal here as well when someone we know sings at the opening to the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes game.(Dodgers minor league)

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. because of your love, he's on the road to recovery ..
.. big HEART judgeit click !!..
I don't know how a woman cannot love their children, though I have seen it with my own eyes. My kids are AWESOME!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
Writing is the most seductive people can be - it's a passionate, seductive art, getting into people's minds, getting into your own.
That's why DF is here! And HL - I think it's the writing that draws us here.
You must have met NightSerf? He has great mastery of the English language. It's quite beautiful to play off writing with him. He and I did it on the Faith thread waaaaaay back, wrote a couple poems in middle English to each other on there. That was fun!
I feel like a midget among giants, to tell you the truth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Good afternoon, Al.
By the way, I sent my last post too quickly. I hope your son is doing well and even though many may object, I will pray for a quick and full speedy recovery for him. This truly is from my heart WN.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••