Sen. Franken? The danger in novelty politicians

Full story: Chicago Tribune

There is, I suppose, good news to be found in the likely ascension of Al Franken to the U.S. Senate.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 29 of29
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Clifford

Oshkosh, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

It's curious to me that conservative-minded people get worked up about an Al Franken, but support the likes of Sonny Bono, Steve Largent, Arnold Schwarznegger, Clint Eastwood, etc. as though they are somehow "legitimate" because they chose the "right" side. I'm glad I live in a country that you do not have to be legitimized by your degree or pedigree, but by what the voters decide. Al Franken is an easy target with his many satirical books and skits as is Schwarznegger with his acting gigs. But they are no different than the Bush or Kennedy clans with all their name recognition and political muscle. We, as voters, need to not let the media push us around and tell us who is "worthy" of our vote.

Since: Sep 08

Lisle IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

steve wrote:
Of all the people who have moved from pop culture to politics, Franken is probably the most clearly prepared and the one least guilty of cashing in on his 'fame' for political gain. In addition to the Hollywood group, include some athletes as well and you see that (Reagan (R), Ventura (I), Sonny Bono(R), Jim Bunning(R), JC Watts(R), Tom Colburn(R), Steve Largent(R), Bill Bradley (D) Jack Kemp (R) and even Lynn Swan (R)) the pattern is that in virtually every case the initial election, if not all of their elections, depend upon people having very little understanding of the politics involved, but they vote on the sense that they liked the person playing a game or in some movie. With Franken he has years of very, very public and clear political activity that outweigh him being on SNL. He could not hide behind few political positions since there are countless hours of tape and books.
Also, one of the funny, stupid talking points is that this kind of celebrity politics is something of the left, but it is so clearly, generally, a cynical ploy of the (in the spirit of being too stubborn to actually say or pronounce the name of the party correctly)'re-pubic' party. Note the list above.
I am glad you posted the list. And there are even more names than that: Heath Schuler, Jim Ryun, Fred Gandy, Mary Bono.

Some have won, some have lost. Some have been appointed and went on to win election on their own.

This is one of those columns that is so stupid, so moronic, that it makes it impossible to read anything Johnson writes ever again and take it seriously.

People are not bugs trapped in amber, impervious to change and growth. People who come from a "celebrity" background--sports, TV, etc--can be suitable candidates for public office, just as those who are workers, military personnel, etc. Celebrities are not entitled to public office because of their status, but neither should they be disqualified.

How many Senators run for or gain office without substantial prior political experience? How many times has Jim Oberweis tried to buy his way into an elected office? How many other Senators have used their personal fortunes to buy name recognitiion in order to gain an electoral edge?

As a whole, voters have shown that they do not automatically vote for someone just for their celebrity status. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Obviously some people don't like Franken because of his politics, which is fine. I don't like Arnold, or Mary Bono, Jim Bunning, etc. But Franken earned his seat--he studied the issues, he put together a campaign, he campaigned for 18 months in front of the voters and they chose him--both in the primary and in the general.

To dismiss him solely because of his past as an entertainer just shows you are a shallow moron who doesn't bother to learn the facts before flapping your mouth--or word processor.

Since: Sep 08

Lisle IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

matt walsh wrote:
I think you make a mistake sir, in asserting that there is any particular "place" in this country for the citizenry to remember. Our nation was founded on a rejection of aristocrcy and elitism. This is a nation where any man, regardless of his "place", regardless of his job (be it actor plumber wrestler or pundit)may run for public office. He may even run for the highest office in the land. That is his right and it is our right, if we choose, to elect him. The validity of his run should be marked by his ideas and competency. Not by his prior proffesion. I may not like Frankens politics, indeed I would not vote for the man. Yet I like even less the idea of treating public office as either inheritedable positions or as somthing earned by pleasing the political establishment. It is niether.
Even though we would disagree on politics, I agree with this comment. While I wouldn't want a legislature full of first-time electees, it doesn't hurt to have new voices, or Senators from different backgrounds. Like you say, political office should not be restricted to one class of people.

And I thought republics LIKED "average Joes" and inexperienced dilettantes--god knows bush hired enough of them.
Jamal Washington

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Franken is Harvard educated, he's hardly a hollywood bimbo
hope

Conroe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

The travesty of this election is that there are more ballots than there are voters in the state of Minneesota for this race.

No one should be declared a winner untill the names of these voters are verified.

Knowing this, if any one of you lived in the state of Minnesota, you would be livid to think that your vote could have been nullified.

It is not a matter of Franken's competence. It is about the WILL OF THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA!
Katrina

Fredericton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

"It's a matter of people knowing their place."

I guess the American dream is still alive. If you work hard enough, and long enough, you should still know your place!
Minna Edel Holloway

Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

So who is qualified to run for office? You? HA.
What have we done

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Al Franken. Senator. And people wonder why they are getting what they are getting.
Good God, what a revolting development.

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Since: Dec 08

Bar Harbor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

We're going to have a novelty president, why not a cartoon Senator as well?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 29 of29
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••