Pantyhose in a bunch?

W hen Q style editor Wendy Donahue received the following e-mail a few weeks ago, Melanie Griffith 's triumph as Tess in "Working Girl" flashed before her eyes. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
HarleyRider

United States

#1 Sep 7, 2008
Okay, I'll have to have the something-or-others to go first here.

You're absolutely correct. Most of us guys think a woman in a skirt or dress who is wearing nylons (of any kind) with high-heeled sandals is a real turn-on. You're comments about bruises ,stubble and other marks being a turn-off is also right on. Don't get me wrong, a woman with YOUTHFUL shapely legs and a great tan in summer shorts or a bathing suit is also a major turn-on, but unless she fits the above description in a dress and heels, most guys would rather see her in nylons.
(Of course, if you REALLY want to turn a guy on, try wearing a garter belt !)

The women who criticized you for dressing that way should take a better look at themselves. Who told them open toed shoes or sandals with nylons aren't stylish, some gay designer?
It's like some "hairdresser" the other day saying that Sarah Palin's hairstyle is 20 years out of date. The most important thing to me about a woman's hair is : DOES IT LOOK CLEAN !? Because if it isn't, the rest of her probably isn't either.
HarleyRider

United States

#2 Sep 7, 2008
PS

Keep in mind, the article, as well as my reply,was strictly aimed at specific aspects of appearance,and had absolutely nothing to do
with the many other qualities of
women:intelligence,ability,etc .
Wreckhead

Saint Charles, IL

#3 Sep 7, 2008
I agree with this young lady. A woman in hose is much more appropriate in an office setting. I am tired of seeing women who throw anything on, slap around in flip flops, and look like they just slumbered out of bed. I miss the days of a well dressed woman in the office and elsewhere.
diane

United States

#4 Sep 7, 2008
I don't get this whole bare foot in-the-shoe thing...ugh...the stench of sweaty shoes worn over and over...the blisters theses sockless gals must be getting...ouch...I think the whole trend is stupid.

You don't see men going without their socks, for the most part...and, at least a guy's stinky atheltic shoes can be washed...not so for the expensive leather heels, flats, and other types of shoes women wear...Wonder what diseases are being bred in all their shoes...

More modest dressing can take advantage of knee hi nylons...so, pantyhose are not the only answer...here's hoping this fad ends soon.
Anne

Glen Ellyn, IL

#5 Sep 7, 2008
HarleyRider wrote:
Okay, I'll have to have the something-or-others to go first here.
You're absolutely correct. Most of us guys think a woman in a skirt or dress who is wearing nylons (of any kind) with high-heeled sandals is a real turn-on. You're comments about bruises ,stubble and other marks being a turn-off is also right on. Don't get me wrong, a woman with YOUTHFUL shapely legs and a great tan in summer shorts or a bathing suit is also a major turn-on, but unless she fits the above description in a dress and heels, most guys would rather see her in nylons.
(Of course, if you REALLY want to turn a guy on, try wearing a garter belt !)
The women who criticized you for dressing that way should take a better look at themselves. Who told them open toed shoes or sandals with nylons aren't stylish, some gay designer?
It's like some "hairdresser" the other day saying that Sarah Palin's hairstyle is 20 years out of date. The most important thing to me about a woman's hair is : DOES IT LOOK CLEAN !? Because if it isn't, the rest of her probably isn't either.
I agree with every word you posted.Might I add it's lucky for you that you added that P.S.
Wayne V

United States

#6 Sep 7, 2008
Congrats to the young lady who takes pride in how she looks and presents herself. I am a 42 year old male who is more respectfull of a lady in hosiery vs. bare. It shows they have more respect for themselves by how they portray themselves to every one else and not about what some "Fashion Expert" says is in style. And by the way those bare legged girls who think there legs are so fine, will look back in twenty years and say "I can't believe I let someone see my legs like that." I live in the deep south near the beach and see alot of legs. The nice bare legs are very few and far in between and the best looking have always had hose on.
Tina

Trabuco Canyon, CA

#7 Sep 7, 2008
diane wrote:
I don't get this whole bare foot in-the-shoe thing...ugh...the stench of sweaty shoes worn over and over...the blisters theses sockless gals must be getting...ouch...I think the whole trend is stupid.
I always wear pantyhose with dress shoes because it's the only way to keep from getting blisters in high heels; even with pants I gotta have knee-his or something between me and the shoes

but... you can never never never wear pantyhose with sandals and look ok. if you're going to wear open-toed shoes you better have nice-looking toes. If I want to wear open toed shoes to a nice event but my toes aren't 100% I just have to wear a different shoe. Obscuring jacked-up toes with 'sandalfoot' stockings is not going to fool anyone, and if your toes are jacked to begin with you really need to re-evaluate your whole shoe situation. Why are you wearing shoes that make it look like you got your toes caught in a thresher in the first place?

Finally, for all the die-hard nylon-haters... consider working in a field with strict GMP regulations, like pharmaceutical development or manufacturing, or microelectronics. Pantyhose are not allowed in clean rooms so no one would ever complain about you not wearing them
Wayne

United States

#8 Sep 7, 2008
Congrats to the lady who cares more about how she portrays herself and not what some so-called "Fashion Experts" say is or is not in style. I am a 42 year old male who appreciates a lady in hosiery. I respect them more for respecting themselves and how they present themselves to others. I live in the deep south, near the beach and see alot of legs. Nice bare legs are very few and far in-between. The best legs I have ever seen have always been in hosiery. I travel alot in the USA and see a lot of bare legged women who must think there legs look great. On the contrary they are not. I remember when a girl wouldn't be seen without her hose on and now hose are looked at like the antichrist. I have read articles on how they itch, run, etc. and all I say you get what you pay for and for pete's sake buy one one's that are true to your size (that's a whole other story). Trends come and go around. Hopefully this young lady who is an advocate for hosiery is helping to restart a beutiful, feminine trend. Thanks.
Alligal

Aurora, IL

#9 Sep 7, 2008
As a 40 yo woman I have always worn hose with dress shoes. Open toed shoes is why they invented no toes hose. I just do feel dressed if I am not wearing hose. Yes they can be a little hot in the summer but the office I work in is air conditioned, usually too much so I am comfortable.
lucky77

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 7, 2008
I'm 32 and have always been taught that a woman should be in pantyhose in a professional setting. I have fun with tights in the winter and in the summer try my hardest to find hose that very closely match my skintone for a more natural look...but they still cover the bruises, bites, etc. The greatest thing I found this summer is "Hoes without Toes." Coverage for the legs and open toes for open-toed shoes...honestly, who wears pantyhose with open-toed sandals/dress shoes? Ick.
ProHose

Chicago, IL

#11 Sep 7, 2008
I'm with the other posters - no hose is a no-no. I am a teacher, a fairly conservative profession, but many of the younger gals I work with do not wear hose. I tried it last week...and I hated it! I feel complete and dressed when I wear hose. I don't wear anything heavy -- I wear the lightest kind I can find, but I think it's unprofessional not to wear hose with a skirt unless it's a summer dress and you are wearing sandals. Don't let those gals at work get you down! Do your own thing and what feels comfortable for you.
what now

Chicago, IL

#12 Sep 7, 2008
May I add just one thing? I must say in honesty that there are a lot of black (or other dark skinned women) who actually look fine without hose.

But nothing is ickier than a pasty white pair of legs hanging out from under a skirt/dress, especially with dark shoes!!!!! Yuk!

And 'diane', I also don't like the "feel" of bare feet inside shoes. I just want something there between my skin and the insole.
Anon

New York, NY

#13 Sep 7, 2008
If you want something between your shoes & feet, get some cotton peds or mule socks. Or wear hose. If you choose to encase your legs & crotch in sweat producing nylon which will probably lead to a nasty infection in hot/humid weather, that's your choice.

I prefer to stick to knee length or below skirts in cotton/linen or pants in those materials with no hose. I'm not saying you have to dress like me, just that you can be professional without hose.
InDC

Washington, DC

#14 Sep 7, 2008
Those who are promoting no hose are also promoting two other things; skin cancer and bronchial problems.

Skin cancer is the result of women who don't want "pasty white" legs getting tans, either the old fashioned way or in a tanning salon. Bronchial problems come from inhaling aerosols in confined places. This applies to those "spray on" tans, which are most likely to be applied in a home bathroom or worse in a public bathroom toilet stall.
The thing about it being wrong for hosed toes to appear in sandals is the purest bovine scatology. I'll bet those women who must wear support hose are offering their thanks. They have been "ordered" not to wear more comfortable sandals with their support hose -- guaranteeing uncomfortable feet in the summertime. How thoughtful
Megan

Lake Forest, IL

#15 Sep 7, 2008
You can absolutely be professional without hose. Plus hose in 90 degrees is pure torture!
Donna From Philly

AOL

#16 Sep 8, 2008
I don't know what all the hate with wearing Pantyhose. I wear them everyday no matter what the weather is Hot or cold. Pantyhose have come a long way since the 60, 70, and even 80's they are much more comfortable to wear. Think of hose as make-up for the legs. If you take a 10 - 30 minutes in the morning to makeup your face and do your hair, and pick an outfit, then why not take an extra 5 minutes to makeup your legs.
I know I get lots of compliments from men, and from some woman on how nice my legs look.
To prove my point I went to the local mall with my husband (who loves to see me and other lady in hose) and walked thru with shorts and bare legs, and not one person made a remark or gave me a second look. The next day we went back to the same mall, and this time I had Tan color silky hose on, and a skirt,(I wear shorts with hose as well) and my husband walked a few steps back, and men kept doing double takes my husband told me. On guy turned to get another look at me, and the girl he was with smacked him. When we went to the food court, 2 different guys came up and asked for my name and phone #. Now you tell me ladies, what was the reason for the 2 different reactions? ANSWER- Men like to see ladies made up, and they love to see hose on them. Most men are afraid to tell there girlfriends or wives about this. So I say find a brand of hose you like the feel and fit, and start showing your legs in hose. Hollywood is starting to wear hose again, and they are showing up on runways as well.
Anon

New York, NY

#17 Sep 8, 2008
Donna, you were more dressed up with the skirt than the shorts, that's why you got 2 different reactions
Anon

New York, NY

#18 Sep 8, 2008
InDC wrote:
Those who are promoting no hose are also promoting two other things; skin cancer and bronchial problems.
Skin cancer is the result of women who don't want "pasty white" legs getting tans, either the old fashioned way or in a tanning salon. Bronchial problems come from inhaling aerosols in confined places. This applies to those "spray on" tans, which are most likely to be applied in a home bathroom or worse in a public bathroom toilet stall.
The thing about it being wrong for hosed toes to appear in sandals is the purest bovine scatology. I'll bet those women who must wear support hose are offering their thanks. They have been "ordered" not to wear more comfortable sandals with their support hose -- guaranteeing uncomfortable feet in the summertime. How thoughtful
I'm a pasty, whiter shade of pale person (ethnic background's mostly Irish). I've already had skin cancer once (not on my legs), so I don't do the tan thing. Before I learned to just accept my coloring, I used to buy gradual self-tanners. Neutrogena makes one which has sunscreen in it. Gives the legs a bit of color, moisturizes them and most importantly protects against skin cancer. Now that I don't worry about the coloring, I go with Aveeno moisturizer with sunscreen. Keeps the skin feeling soft and looking nice & protects against skin cancer.
girlfriday

Des Plaines, IL

#19 Sep 8, 2008
Pantyhose is not a barrier to the sun. I slather on the sunscreen every day because I have fair skin. Have you ever tried to pull on pantyhose after moisturizing or applying sunscreen? Impossible. But I use a mild gradual self-tanner to keep the pastyness to a minimum.

Also, do you know how much money I have saved each year since I have gone pantyhoseless?

In my profession I meet with high-powered female CEOs and successful business women every day. Very, very, very rarely do I ever see any of them in hose. If I do, they are over the age of 50.
Old and Know Better

Northbrook, IL

#20 Sep 8, 2008
I hate to think that Midwestern women have been sucked into the fads from the East and West Coast. Toeless hose can be worn with most sandals but not all. But, in any case, dry and cracked heels not taken care of are disgusting. Pumice your feet every day in the shower. It takes a minute and mosturize your feet and legs for heavens sake. And another thing, take a hard look at the condition of your shoes! Dirty, run down heels (even worse, heels worn completely away) and scraped up leather makes even the best dressed look terrible.I saw a women walking down Michigan Avenue who I am sure thought she looked terrific until you saw her shoes. What a mess! And ladies, if you can not walk in 3 to 4" heels without wobbling or not walking straight, DON'T WEAR THEM. You look ridiculous

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melanie Griffith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melanie Griffith jets to Hawaii amid marital pr... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Seata 1
Antonio Banderas and his leading lady Melanie G... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Maria Lavadora 2
Melanie Griffith nude ! (Apr '11) Apr '11 Joona 1
Fox Adds a Mohicana To Its Russian Slate (Aug '10) Aug '10 Stefanya 1
Check it out (Dec '09) Dec '09 morgan 1
Stargazing | Griffith in rehab; Simon says a go... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Kieran 1
On the tube (May '06) Dec '08 computer 10 5

Melanie Griffith People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE