Dave

Genoa, IL

#1 Jan 5, 2007
Does anyone know the chords to Marty Stuart's song off of the Pretty Horses movie soundtrack?
fred williams

Maryville, TN

#2 Feb 6, 2007
I have been trying to find out the same thing
Chris

Moultrie, GA

#3 May 5, 2007
you guys i have been all over the net on EVERY country and rock tab site to find these tabs and i havent found anything. not only that i cant find the song ANYwheres to hear it, to see it (the music vid) and its incredible how hard it is to find a single song
Dave from Gainesville

Ocala, FL

#4 May 7, 2007
Hey Dave,

The basic progression is:
A-E-F#m-D until the last line, which is A-E-D

Here is a handy tip for figuring out chords: usually the chords in a song will ALWAYS be I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VIIo

So, for this song, the only "possible" chords (in a very simple theoretical sense) are A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m, G#o

So, this song is a I-IV-VIm-V progression, one of the more common progressions used today.

Hope that helps, and sorry if you knew all that already. I just learned this myself last week, and it has changed the way I think about music!
Dave from Gainesville

Ocala, FL

#5 May 7, 2007
My mistake, just listened to it again - the last line of each verse is not A-E-D, but A-E-D-Dm
Don

Sugar Land, TX

#6 Nov 29, 2007
iTunes, $0.99 off the soundtrack from All the Pretty Horses.
dgweeden

The Colony, TX

#7 Dec 20, 2007
According to Marty Stuart.com , the music is not in print and cannot be purchased in single songsheet or songbook. If anyone has jotted down the entire chord progressions, please let me know.
john moore

Orangeville, Canada

#8 Mar 3, 2008
I think it starts with a A chaord then move down c#minor7 to a d, c#minor 7, bminor 7, then A same chords as crazy train
Carl

Syracuse, NE

#9 Aug 16, 2012

Thank you for your post..
Dave from Gainesville wrote:
Hey Dave,
Here is a handy tip for figuring out chords: usually the chords in a song will ALWAYS be I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VIIo
So, for this song, the only "possible" chords (in a very simple theoretical sense) are A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m, G#o
So, this song is a I-IV-VIm-V progression, one of the more common progressions used today.
Hope that helps, and sorry if you knew all that already. I just learned this myself last week, and it has changed the way I think about music!
Jody

Naples, FL

#10 Oct 18, 2012
I am a new guitar player and want to play this song. what does this "I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VIIo" mean?
lol

Pineville, LA

#11 Dec 9, 2012
So u say ur as far away as the song is huh when it come's to it huh v iv lol Dave's not home man
Jimmy Mac

Alpine, CA

#12 Jun 10, 2013
Hey Dave,
You nailed it, been looking for the chords for a while and you are absolutely right on. hank you so much.
Dave from Gainesville wrote:
Hey Dave,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marty Stuart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stuart, Rice, Oates headline Rhythm & Roots (May '11) Sep '14 Sure Eddie 5
Paul Martin of The Fabulous Superlatives Talks ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 OldHippyChick 1
Porter Wagoner honored at Grand Ole Opry (Nov '07) Dec '13 bluegrass State h... 8
Celebrate all things folk at Fall Creek Falls (Sep '13) Sep '13 swizzle stick 2
New original country song for Marty ? (Jul '13) Jul '13 terry shoemaker 1
Country musician getting a heroine's welcome home (Oct '11) Oct '11 Marley 6
Concerts at the Fair (Oct '11) Oct '11 SumpterBillybob 1

Marty Stuart People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE