James Franco's 'My Own Private River,' Reworking of...

Feb 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: International Business Times

In 1991, the film "My Own Private Idaho," starring River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves was released.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
ardith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

It's none of Joaquin's business. For years the Phoenix family have acted like they were nothing but ashamed of River. I'm sick of it. River was River and I'm very sure he was not ashamed of his life. So I'd like to tell Joaquin to just fck off and stop with the constant hiding and covering up, about a man who has been dead for almost 20 years. Is it still about money?

He wouldn't let Anthony Keidis talk about River but he didn't shut Van Sant up, at least not completely. I'm glad Gus is a man who respects the truth.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

I don't think Joaquin has as much pull as that. He may have voiced his "wishes" however, it was the legal ramifications,(as per:

[snip]Franco has no plans to distribute the film as he does not want to compete with the original or face legal action from New Line Cinema, which distributed 'Idaho'.
[end snip])

of releasing/distributing the new product that spoke volumes and in the end had the final say.

jmo
ardith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

This is what the writer wrote and I would like to understand why River's truth can't be told.

"In reality, Phoenix and Reeves (who also co-starred in "I Love You to Death") were incredibly close and this is abundantly clear when watching the film. Franco's "My Own Private River" adds a brand new take (literally) on the dynamic between the two.

In a question-and-answer session following the film, Franco revealed that his original cut was 12 hours long. That version is now being kept from the public at the request of Joaquin Phoenix (River's Oscar-nominated brother).

For now, the film has been shelved but for a few exclusive showings. Franco has no plans to distribute the film as he does not want to compete with the original or face legal action from New Line Cinema, which distributed 'Idaho'."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Keanu Reeves Forum right now

Search the Keanu Reeves Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Amanda De......Cadenet (May '10) 2 hr lucho 155
does keanu ever writes back to his fans?? (Nov '09) 3 hr MiniMiniMe 59
Hot! Keanu Reeves Starring in ‘Knock Knock’ Thr... 18 hr Pupper 68
Youngblood 19 hr SuzanneTVWriter 8
Keanu and Jennifer Syme -The real story? (May '13) Wed lucho 205
Jennifer Syme (Jun '09) Wed ardith 82
Hollywood Diet? No cup-cakes? Apr 12 sasssassysass 12
•••
•••