Motorcycle Accident on I-26 Kills One

Full story: WLTX Columbia

The Lexington County Coroner's office is investigating a fatal accident on Interstate-26 that killed the 40-year-old driver of a motorcycle.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Apr 23, 2008
HUH

Irmo, SC

#1 Apr 21, 2008
where's your HELMET?
Stuck in PC

AOL

#2 Apr 21, 2008
A tv station said he split lanes between two semis. Can anyone verify this?

“Hey! Let me hold a dollar”

Since: Jul 07

Gaston, SC

#3 Apr 21, 2008
Wis reports this

[quote] "The SC Highway Patrol says Linson, who was not wearing a helmet, was traveling eastbound on I-26 and attempted to go between two tractor trailers. They say he lost control and ran off the left side of the road and was thrown from the bike." [/quote]

Guess he put himself in a bad situation. Shoulda just waited untill the lane was clear.
Ed in columbia

United States

#4 Apr 21, 2008
i don't think a helmet would have helped in this case.

“SUNDANCE ”

Since: Nov 07

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#5 Apr 21, 2008
No helmet would have helped in this case...and the fool should not have been riding the zipper (splitting lanes between the trucks).....it is all ready dangerous enough for us on bikes as it is....pulling crazy stuff like that....is only safe in the movies.

“loving life”

Since: Oct 07

Suwanee, GA

#6 Apr 21, 2008
You are right, a helmet probably wouldn't have helped. Sorry to hear but speed does kill. Respect the road gremlins and they will respect you.

“SUNDANCE ”

Since: Nov 07

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#7 Apr 21, 2008
biker wrote:
You are right, a helmet probably wouldn't have helped. Sorry to hear but speed does kill. Respect the road gremlins and they will respect you.
I hung out with Brett saturday night for a little while....we talked about your new ride.......
meta

Lexington, SC

#8 Apr 21, 2008
He actually was wearing a helmet, it apparently flew off during the accident and was laying on the side of the road. I was stuck in traffic at the accident scene.
meta

Lexington, SC

#9 Apr 21, 2008
I know that wearing a helmet wouldn't have helped, but I was just passing the info on for the individual asking "where's your helmet"
GCinSC

Columbia, SC

#10 Apr 22, 2008
meta wrote:
He actually was wearing a helmet, it apparently flew off during the accident and was laying on the side of the road. I was stuck in traffic at the accident scene.
I'm not convinced the helmet was being worn. I also saw it near the side of the road near the bike that was in the woods. The biker was several hundred feet in front of the bike and helmet. I don't see how a properly strapped helmet could fly off like that. Many of these guys carry a helmet for their passenger or child. Not that it would have helped in this case. Condolences to the family/friends of this man.
Jay who saw the Biker

Charleston, SC

#11 Apr 22, 2008
Yes the driver of the motorcycle was traveling will over 90mph and was splitting the lanes. I was there and the guy about lost control when he went between my truck and a Camper. Yes He was not wearing his White Helmet because it was lying on the right shoulder up from the Biker that was in the woods. Unfortunately due to the driver of the Harley Davison, there were several young people who had to watch the man die.
Chloe

Mount Pleasant, SC

#12 Apr 22, 2008
We nearly hit Mr. Linson ourselves as he passed us between our SUV and another car in OUR lane. He zipped by us as though we were sitting still nearly taking off our side view mirror. My heart stopped again as he squeezed between a transfer truck and a Jeep Cherokee ahead of us to our right. He continued to do this passing and weaving manuever as far as we could see ahead going in and out of other drivers' lanes. We estimated he was traveling at excess speeds of 90-100 mph, until he disappeared from our sight. No sooner than I grabbed my cell phone to call *HP, traffic came to a screeching hault. We noticed a couple of people on the median motioning traffic to keep moving by. As we approached the travelers who were directing traffic to keep it moving, there he lay dead on the edge of the interstate with blood pouring out of his head. My sincere condolences go to his family and friends. And, while it is unfortunate that Mr. Linson died, we are all lucky he didn't take anyone else's life or cause a major chain reaction wreck. It's time for the State of SC to re-think a Helmet-required law...at least for the interstates and multi-lane highways. This could have been a much worse accident, had the transfer trucks not been paying close attention.
RJa

Columbia, SC

#13 Apr 22, 2008
Just 1 or 2 mile before the accident, the biker split the lane between my car and an SUV. He then drove between two more vehicles driving ahead of us. He wasn't wearing a helmet. I was discussing with my wife that how stupid people can get...driving so recklessly without a helmet. And suddenly we had to apply brakes....the guy's body was on the left side of the road with severe brain injury....the bike was good 100+ ft ahead on the right side of the road.
Life is too short....one moment he was enjoying the ride and the very next moment he was bleeding to death.
Chloe

Mount Pleasant, SC

#14 Apr 22, 2008
To confirm, we saw him driving...he was NOT wearing a helmet. And, yes, to answer "Stuck In PC", he was splitting lanes as the TV station reported.

“loving life”

Since: Oct 07

Suwanee, GA

#15 Apr 23, 2008
Chloe wrote:
We nearly hit Mr. Linson ourselves as he passed us between our SUV and another car in OUR lane. He zipped by us as though we were sitting still nearly taking off our side view mirror. My heart stopped again as he squeezed between a transfer truck and a Jeep Cherokee ahead of us to our right. He continued to do this passing and weaving manuever as far as we could see ahead going in and out of other drivers' lanes. We estimated he was traveling at excess speeds of 90-100 mph, until he disappeared from our sight. No sooner than I grabbed my cell phone to call *HP, traffic came to a screeching hault. We noticed a couple of people on the median motioning traffic to keep moving by. As we approached the travelers who were directing traffic to keep it moving, there he lay dead on the edge of the interstate with blood pouring out of his head. My sincere condolences go to his family and friends. And, while it is unfortunate that Mr. Linson died, we are all lucky he didn't take anyone else's life or cause a major chain reaction wreck. It's time for the State of SC to re-think a Helmet-required law...at least for the interstates and multi-lane highways. This could have been a much worse accident, had the transfer trucks not been paying close attention.
Helmet laws won't fix stupidity. Leave the law as it is. My choice, my life, my insurance. Not your tax dollar.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Interstate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tornado Touchdown in Calhoun County Leaves Path... (Mar '08) Oct '13 joker 4
Carmaggedon Twin Cities style? Gridlock possibl... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bushwhacker 23
Camden mulls I-95 tourism complex WOODBINE a " ... (May '13) Jun '13 Truth is 7
Officials Give Portion of Interstate 73 Final F... (Feb '08) Feb '12 DahDude 6
Boy found in South Berwick identified as Camden... (May '11) May '11 molly 2
Double makeover (Apr '11) May '11 Sangelia 60
St. Louis Named Most Dangerous U.S. City (Nov '10) Nov '10 thx lets see 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Interstate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••