New Orleans Crime Rate Continues to Skyrocket

Jun 9, 2008 Full story: www.cnn.com 152

The FBI on Monday released its latest crime statistics based on 2007 figures. While violent crime across the nation was down, New Orleans bucked that trend: Murders rose from 162 in 2006 to 209 in 2007; rapes jumped from 87 to 115; and aggravated assault increased from 1,245 to 1,973, according to the FBI.

Eighty-five homicides have been recorded this year, slightly up from 83 by early June last year, New Orleans police spokesman Bob Young says. But violent crimes such as rape and armed robbery increased 57 percent and 24 percent, respectively, in the first three months of the year, compared with 2007, according to the most recent police statistics.

New Orleans is home to about 327,000 people, compared with 453,000 before Katrina, or about 72 percent of the population before the August 2005 storm, according to Mayor Ray Nagin's office. Some say the city's future hinges on whether it can tackle the crime crisis.

"Violent crime worries people," says Rafael Goyeneche, head of the Metropolitan Crime Commission, a local crime watchdog. "It's unacceptably high as people are trying to decide whether to return or remain here. That's critical." Goyeneche says getting crime under control would enable the city not just to sustain itself but to thrive.

Nagin concedes he's also troubled by the spike in violence. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#1 Jun 9, 2008
Murders are up.
Rapes are up.
Aggravated assaults are up.
Population is down.
Nagin is clueless.
Bosaline

Eunice, LA

#4 Apr 4, 2009
Gee, maybe they can find a way to blame it on the whites!
ron

Warwick, RI

#5 Apr 6, 2009
who cares new orleans rules ninth ward rules i wish my city was the same as new orleans still good south side of providence all the way
Obamanation

Eunice, LA

#6 Apr 6, 2009
ron wrote:
who cares new orleans rules ninth ward rules i wish my city was the same as new orleans still good south side of providence all the way
This idiot must be some fine specimen....
ron

Warwick, RI

#7 Apr 7, 2009
number one im not an idiot i love the ghetto ninth ward is the best ghetto in new orleans

“it's just craic”

Since: Jan 09

Saint Johns, MI

#8 Apr 7, 2009
ron wrote:
number one im not an idiot i love the ghetto ninth ward is the best ghetto in new orleans
whats the mater ron, boring in ri?
cid

Frazeysburg, OH

#9 Apr 7, 2009
Crime stoppers needs to hand out $500.00 rewards to every woman in New Orleans who gets an abortion. Please let another hurricane flush this crapper.

“it's just craic”

Saint Johns, MI

#10 Apr 7, 2009
cid wrote:
Crime stoppers needs to hand out $500.00 rewards to every woman in New Orleans who gets an abortion. Please let another hurricane flush this crapper.
I hope you die of thirst while buried under a rock slide and being scorched by a wild fire
ron

Warwick, RI

#12 Apr 7, 2009
no providence rules its just not as ghetto as new orleans
12gauge

United States

#13 Apr 7, 2009
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you die of thirst while buried under a rock slide and being scorched by a wild fire
Don't worry about it, California will slide off in the ocean soon and they will all be shark food. The BIG ONE is just around the corner!

“it's just craic”

Saint Johns, MI

#14 Apr 7, 2009
ron wrote:
no providence rules its just not as ghetto as new orleans
And so this is what you do to feel better about yourself?
ron

Warwick, RI

#15 Apr 8, 2009
<quoted text>And so this is what you do to feel better about yourself?
yes i love the ghetto ninth ward is a very nice hood

“it's just craic”

Saint Johns, MI

#16 Apr 8, 2009
That would be a yes.

“it's just craic”

Saint Johns, MI

#18 Apr 8, 2009
cid wrote:
Funny that the "big one"never comes to california, but the hurricanes continue to pound the gulf coast. Face it,mother nature hates all of you.
never?

san fran?
cid

United States

#19 Apr 8, 2009
If the gay bay was the big one,then that's not so bad.
ron

Warwick, RI

#21 Apr 8, 2009
Obviously wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopeless!
why you think ninthh ward no good

“it's just craic”

Saint Johns, MI

#22 Apr 8, 2009
cid wrote:
If the gay bay was the big one,then that's not so bad.
just a warning shot
12gauge

United States

#23 Apr 8, 2009
Can a Californian be a United States Citizen? Looks like most are illegals and criminals. That's a sad state of affairs in a very sad state.
What I like

Eunice, LA

#24 Apr 9, 2009
ron wrote:
<quoted text>why you think ninthh ward no good
Dear Ron, I think the ninth ward is wonderful, for people like you!
What I like

Eunice, LA

#25 Apr 9, 2009
<quoted text>I hope you die of thirst while buried under a rock slide and being scorched by a wild fire
My, how racist can we get!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henry Butler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Orchestra cancels 'Keys to New Orlean... (Feb '09) Feb '09 big blogger 2
Briefs: Savannah Music Festival opens with Bonn... (Jan '09) Jan '09 jazzimus 1
Blue Bay Jazz Fest Schedule (Aug '08) Aug '08 2008 Blue Bay Jazz 1
Henry Butler's 'PiaNOLA' a captivating collection (Apr '08) May '08 Erica 2

Henry Butler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE