Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday 109,590
President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs. Full Story
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115890 Jun 17, 2012
A reposted answer to your idiocy. BTW these are all facts, not opinions or conjecture or talking point dribble.

Here's the truth behind the right wing myth of the "liberal press" :

In 1983, 90% of American media was owned by 50 companies.

In 2011 that same 90% was conrrolled by 6 companies.

Those Big Six companies are:

GE - NewsCorp - Disney - Viacom - Time Warner - CBS

232 Media Executives control the information diet of 277 million Americans. That's 1 media exec to 850,000 subscribers.

The Big Six control 70% of your cable. 3,762 contribute 30%.

NewsCorp(Fox/Murdoch) owns the top newspaper on 3 continents. In 2010 alone they avoided $875 million in US taxes.

In 1995 the FCC forbade companies to own over 40 stations. Clear Channel owns 1,200.

Everywhere in the United States 80% of stations playlists match.

The BigSix's movie box office sales ($7 billion) are 2 times that of the next 140 studios.

Enablde by FCC deregulation and a decades-long orgy of mergers and acquisitions, these 6 giants, the BigSix, dominate our media landscape.

Until regulations return they will continue to control 90% of everything Americans see, hear and consider important.

Yeah those 6 companies are all a bunch of socialists aren't they?
Politics as usual

Huntington Station, NY

#115891 Jun 17, 2012
the more you look at obama's failed policies the more you realize that Obama is not just a bad president, he is the worst president in the history of this country,

virtually every single policy he has enacted has been based on one thing, paying off supporters and buying votes even if it puts the welfare and the future of the country on the line.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012...

http://news.investors.com/article/615090/2012...

the corrupt mainstream media has done a tremendous disservice to our country with their biased reporting and lack of reporting of the facts.

that is why they could not wait to try to blame the interrupting of the president on racism, decorum should be followed, but certainly a president who time after time ignores the balance of power and makes decisions not in the best interests of the country but to get votes, needs to be questioned,

and the president who works for the people needs to be accountable to the people for his actions.

but instead there seems to be a continued thrill down the legs of the corrupt, as well as the thrill in the Hollywood sect, who rake in millions in high priced movie tickets and then use that to stick a knife into the back of America.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115892 Jun 17, 2012
joe wrote:
You righty's here are the most defeatist, fearful, angriest group I've ever seen. Your behavior is the antithesis of American confidence.
If you are representative of what the current Republican party values and is offering the American people then we'd be fools to vote for those attitudes.
It looks like, in spite of your protestations, that you have become the real anti-Americans. Get back on track, please. Where's your decency.
I have unbounded confidence, one the present Incompetent-in-Chief is run out of the White House and we get some real leadership in there.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115893 Jun 17, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Some businesses strive to maximize profit. Others strive to maintain sustainability. Two different things but one lasts longer than the other.
Nonsense. One and the same thing. Well-managed businesses strive to maximize sustainable profits.

Next.
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
2. Your statement contradicts your first statement, but we can agree that over time any business has to make a profit. That time is dependent upon the financing available to fund it during during times it is not making a profit.
" ... over time any business has to make a profit." Thank you.

The rest of your post is nonsensical burbling.

Next.
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
3. Competitive markets are without monopolies. Monopolies occur naturally in a free market.
... and are outlawed in the US, and therefore irrelevant to the discussion. More nonsensical burbling.

Next.
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
4. Wrong again. An increase in taxes can be offset by decreased costs in other areas or in lower profit margins. Just like any other business expense.
I stated "ceteris parabus," OKB. All other things being equal, and in the long run - your point is fallacious. I have no interest in debating the bizarre exception that you think "proves" your fallacious "rule."

My statement stands PROVEN: Ceteris paribus and in the long run, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.

Dismissed.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115894 Jun 17, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
A reposted answer to your idiocy. BTW these are all facts, not opinions or conjecture or talking point dribble.
Here's the truth behind the right wing myth of the "liberal press" :
In 1983, 90% of American media was owned by 50 companies.
In 2011 that same 90% was conrrolled by 6 companies.
Those Big Six companies are:
GE - NewsCorp - Disney - Viacom - Time Warner - CBS
So what? I'm not seeing the problem here. Did they cancel your favorite program or something, joe?
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
232 Media Executives control the information diet of 277 million Americans. That's 1 media exec to 850,000 subscribers.
That's good - way less concentrated than the federal government, in which 1 incompetent POTUS presently controls the political life of 300 million Americans.
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big Six control 70% of your cable. 3,762 contribute 30%.
NewsCorp(Fox/Murdoch) owns the top newspaper on 3 continents.
So what? I'm not seeing the problem here.
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2010 alone they avoided $875 million in US taxes.
Good job. Tax avoidance is the sacred duty of every American. Well done.
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1995 the FCC forbade companies to own over 40 stations. Clear Channel owns 1,200.
Liar.

"Local Radio Ownership. The rule imposes restrictions based on a sliding scale that varies by the size of the market:(1) in a radio market with 45 or more stations, an entity may own up to eight radio stations, no more than five of which may be in the same service (AM or FM); (2) in a radio market with between 30 and 44 radio stations, an entity may own up to seven radio stations, no more than four of which may be in the same service; (3) in a radio market hosting between 15 and 29 radio stations, an entity may own up to six radio stations, no more than four of which may be in the same service; and (4) in a radio market with 14 or fewer radio stations, an entity may own up to five radio stations, no more than three of which may be in the same service, as long as the entity does not own more than 50 percent of all radio stations in that market."

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/review-broadcast-ow...
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Everywhere in the United States 80% of stations playlists match.
So what? I'm not seeing the problem here. Can't get your indy garage band's record played, joe?
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The BigSix's movie box office sales ($7 billion) are 2 times that of the next 140 studios.
So what? I'm not seeing the problem here.
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Enablde by FCC deregulation and a decades-long orgy of mergers and acquisitions, these 6 giants, the BigSix, dominate our media landscape.
Until regulations return they will continue to control 90% of everything Americans see, hear and consider important.
Are you that much of a driveling mindless tool that you're seriously worried about the media mind-controlling you, joe?

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#115895 Jun 17, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. One and the same thing. Well-managed businesses strive to maximize sustainable profits.
Next.
<quoted text>
" ... over time any business has to make a profit." Thank you.
The rest of your post is nonsensical burbling.
Next.
<quoted text>
... and are outlawed in the US, and therefore irrelevant to the discussion. More nonsensical burbling.
Next.
<quoted text>
I stated "ceteris parabus," OKB. All other things being equal, and in the long run - your point is fallacious. I have no interest in debating the bizarre exception that you think "proves" your fallacious "rule."
My statement stands PROVEN: Ceteris paribus and in the long run, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.
Dismissed.
Why are you changing the wording of your statement? Because you were wrong. Maximizing profit without looking at the sustainability of it (something left out of your initial statement) is a short term plan for long term failure. All one has to do is look at the finance and housing industries 2003 - 2008.

Yet, monopolies (which are allowed to exist even though there are laws that allow their dismantling....monopolies are actually not illegal) are the end result in a completely free market environment.

Of course you never will debate anything that you have a problem with.
Correct-O-Bot

Mclean, VA

#115896 Jun 17, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you changing the wording of your statement? Because you were wrong. Maximizing profit without looking at the sustainability of it (something left out of your initial statement) is a short term plan for long term failure. All one has to do is look at the finance and housing industries 2003 - 2008.
Yet, monopolies (which are allowed to exist even though there are laws that allow their dismantling....monopolies are actually not illegal) are the end result in a completely free market environment.
Of course you never will debate anything that you have a problem with.
More burbling completely irrelevant to the point at issue:

My statement remains PROVEN: Ceteris paribus and in the long run, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.

You're dismissed.
Bjorn

Stockholm, Sweden

#115897 Jun 17, 2012
Ron Paul will make a few milions more new jobs in USA.
Ron Paul:
peace
prosperity
saving and proceting all human lives
He is really the greatest and the best presidential candidate and the only chance for USA.

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#115898 Jun 17, 2012
Correct-O-Bot wrote:
<quoted text>
More burbling completely irrelevant to the point at issue:
My statement remains PROVEN: Ceteris paribus and in the long run, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.
You're dismissed.
Yes, if only your statement did not apply just theoretically in this case. We both know that things never remain the same in business. If they did anyone could successfully run a business because once you got it started, it would remain the same.

So once again, you are wrong.
Correct-O-Bot

Mclean, VA

#115899 Jun 17, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, if only your statement did not apply just theoretically in this case. We both know that things never remain the same in business. If they did anyone could successfully run a business because once you got it started, it would remain the same.
So once again, you are wrong.
More lame attempts at off-topic deflection and obfuscatory burbling.

My statement remains PROVEN: Ceteris paribus and in the long run, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.

You're dismissed.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115900 Jun 17, 2012
Teddy's of the world-

You are hilariously predictable and transparent. You attack (in good Rovian technique) others on their strengths (the facts and their objectivity) while at the same time pretending, at least to the other mush-heads of your persuasion, that somehow you're an expert, based solely on your own declaration.

You're in reality, as far up the ass of the corporate, tea party ditzes, as you accuse even the moderates on this forum of being. More so, really.

We all know why you don't have a problem with the facts of concentrated media ownership, you're also happy with the concentration of wealth in the 1% and out of the spending hands of the middle class. Which is the fundamental reason behind our economic crises.

So why should you have a problem with the facts of concentrated media ownership, they represent your twisted right wing agenda. Showing us all how you either missed (intentionally or accidentally) the point of my post which was stated quite clearly in the first sentence of the original post:

" Here's the truth behind the right wing myth of the liberal press " ,

not some misdirecting, subject-changing garbage about mind control. Even an ass-kissing uber-corporatist such as you knows why the WORLD should fear the concentration of news, information, etc., in the hands of fewer and fewer multi-national corporations. The difference between you and me is that that concentration is so obviously far-right, and that's you.

And that leads to how you screwed up in your reply to my post. Your giant ego and hubris got the best of you. You are only happy with the facts of concentrated ownership of media because it IS right wing and not left-wing, as you and other half-wits on this forum are always parroting.

It's a right wing dominated, corporate media that we have in America.

----------

In 1983, 90% of American media was owned by 50 companies.

In 2011 that same 90% was conrrolled by 6 companies.

Those Big Six companies are:

GE - NewsCorp - Disney - Viacom - Time Warner - CBS

232 Media Executives control the information diet of 277 million Americans. That's 1 media exec to 850,000 subscribers.

The Big Six control 70% of your cable. 3,762 contribute 30%.

NewsCorp(Fox/Murdoch) owns the top newspaper on 3 continents. In 2010 alone they avoided $875 million in US taxes.

In 1995 the FCC forbade companies to own over 40 stations. Clear Channel owns 1,200.

Everywhere in the United States 80% of stations playlists match.

The BigSix's movie box office sales ($7 billion) are 2 times that of the next 140 studios.

Enablde by FCC deregulation and a decades-long orgy of mergers and acquisitions, these 6 giants, the BigSix, dominate our media landscape.

Until regulations return they will continue to control 90% of everything Americans see, hear and consider important.

Yeah those 6 companies are all a bunch of socialists aren't they?

I'll leave off the typically egocentric closing you're so enamored of (You're dismissed). It's just so adolescent, even as a joke.

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#115901 Jun 17, 2012
Correct-O-Bot wrote:
<quoted text>
More lame attempts at off-topic deflection and obfuscatory burbling.
My statement remains PROVEN: Ceteris paribus and in the long run, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.
You're dismissed.
Prove your statement is an accurate reflection of operating a business. That over the long run all expenses remain where they started as a proportion of business income.

You and I both know you can not do it because it is not true just as I stated. Once again you run and hide behind fallicious statements claiming they are true because you say so.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115902 Jun 17, 2012
On a lighter note:

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads!
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115904 Jun 17, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove your statement is an accurate reflection of operating a business. That over the long run all expenses remain where they started as a proportion of business income.
You and I both know you can not do it because it is not true just as I stated. Once again you run and hide behind fallicious statements claiming they are true because you say so.
Don't be silly. I don't have to prove a premise, nor am I required to alter my statement to something else because you are unable to refute it as I've stated it.

Still more lame deflection.

My statement remains PROVEN: In the long run, all other things - WHICH INCLUDES OTHER EXPENSES - remaining equal, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.

You're dismissed. Again.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115905 Jun 17, 2012
joe wrote:
Teddy's of the world-
(joe's little liberal hissy-fit snipped).
You're seriously arguing there is no liberal bias in the media?

Hilarious.

From Wiki:

In 2008, the Democratic Party received a total donation of $1,020,816, given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks (NBC, CBS, ABC), while the Republican Party received only $142,863 via 193 donations.

In The Media Elite, a 1986 book co-authored by political scientists Robert Lichter, Stanley Rothman, and Linda Lichter, the authors surveyed journalists at national media outlets such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, and the broadcast networks. The survey found that most of these journalists were Democratic voters whose attitudes were well to the left of the general public on a variety of topics, including such hot-button social issues as abortion, affirmative action, and gay rights. Then they compared journalists' attitudes to their coverage of controversial issues such as the safety of nuclear power, school busing to promote racial integration, and the energy crisis of the 1970s. The authors concluded that journalists' coverage of controversial issues reflected their own attitudes, and the predominance of political liberals in newsrooms therefore pushed news coverage in a liberal direction. They presented this tilt as a mostly unconscious process of like-minded individuals projecting their shared assumptions onto their interpretations of reality.

In a 1997survey conducted by the American Society of Newspaper Editors, 61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.

A 2002 study by Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle. Kuypers stated that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints. They argued that reporters who they thought were expressing moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view. Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.

A joint study by the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University and the Project for Excellence in Journalism found that viewers believe that liberal media bias can be found in television news by networks such as CNN. These findings concerning a perception of liberal bias in television news – particularly at CNN – are also reported by other sources.

You're dismissed.
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115906 Jun 17, 2012
joe wrote:
Teddy's of the world-
You are hilariously predictable and transparent. You attack (in good Rovian technique) others on their strengths (the facts and their objectivity) while at the same time pretending, at least to the other mush-heads of your persuasion, that somehow you're an expert, based solely on your own declaration.
You're in reality, as far up the ass of the corporate, tea party ditzes, as you accuse even the moderates on this forum of being. More so, really.
We all know why you don't have a problem with the facts of concentrated media ownership, you're also happy with the concentration of wealth in the 1% and out of the spending hands of the middle class. Which is the fundamental reason behind our economic crises.
So why should you have a problem with the facts of concentrated media ownership, they represent your twisted right wing agenda. Showing us all how you either missed (intentionally or accidentally) the point of my post which was stated quite clearly in the first sentence of the original post:
" Here's the truth behind the right wing myth of the liberal press " ,
not some misdirecting, subject-changing garbage about mind control. Even an ass-kissing uber-corporatist such as you knows why the WORLD should fear the concentration of news, information, etc., in the hands of fewer and fewer multi-national corporations. The difference between you and me is that that concentration is so obviously far-right, and that's you.
And that leads to how you screwed up in your reply to my post. Your giant ego and hubris got the best of you. You are only happy with the facts of concentrated ownership of media because it IS right wing and not left-wing, as you and other half-wits on this forum are always parroting.
It's a right wing dominated, corporate media that we have in America.....
...
Come on, you're seriously trying to argue that the media doesn't predominantly lean left??? Wow.

I'm one of those "kooks" that hates the Republican Party and the Democrat Party, and I'm hated by the cheerleaders of both... But if we're going to make an honest assessment of the mainstream media that most people are exposed to, it skews left.

Sure, you found a way to spin the subject by saying that big corporate interests that can be implied are the territory of the right own the media... but that is flawed and you know it.

Just look at what the MSM reports, and more importantly what they DON'T report.

If the media had a right wing bias, the Fast & Furious scandal would have BEEN REPORTED BY THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA! But it WAS NOT! It would have done IMMENSE harm to Obama, and would have been the end of Holder all together. But you probably don't even know what it is.

Be honest with yourself, pick your battles. Anyone objective will tell you that the mainstream media leans left.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115907 Jun 17, 2012
So I'm guessing you're posting for the idiots on this thread, yes?

GE, which owns NBC, CNBC and the perceived left-leaning MSNBC, has directed 59 percent of its $1.62 million this 2010 election cycle to Republican political entities.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115908 Jun 17, 2012
How many "left identified" businesses advertise in ANY newspapers or television?

Your stats on employee political affiliations are meaningless. It's the company that makes the big and secret donations to political parties.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115909 Jun 17, 2012
The current Republican Party:

Bullet-riddled ‘Obama library’ outhouse appears at Montana GOP convention.

“Never have I been so embarrassed for the residents of this valley as I was when the Republican float passed by,” one Corvallis resident told The Missoulian.“Behind one of the pickups was an outhouse with the sign ‘Obama Presidential Library.’ I don’t care who you are or what party you vote for, Barack Obama is our president and deserves our respect as the Commander-in-Chief of our country.”
Obama Coward

California City, CA

#115910 Jun 17, 2012
Obama is an illegal alien coward that could god damn care less about American citizens. Putting illegal criminals before American citizens is grounds for impeachment. Giving away our jobs to illegal aliens will make Obama lose the election. You can count on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama: Racism, bias in US will take time to tackle 2 min Uncle Bob 462
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 5 min barry 3,012
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Smart Alex 1,155,603
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min OzRitz 49,310
Ruble crisis could shake Putin's grip on power 57 min Brilliant Bolshevik 119
Illegal immigrant mother seeks refuge in Philad... 1 hr Dee Dee Dee 6
Obama personal chef to hang up apron after 6 years 1 hr RayOne 2
More from around the web