Directionless Lost City mired by false nostalgia

Full story: Vue Weekly

BRIAN GIBSON / brian@vueweekly.com Andy Garcia's The Lost City is a lost opportunity--with its inhabitants roaming through dead-end scenes, searching for shelter under some flimsy dialogue--as Garcia and ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 102 Comments Last updated Apr 8, 2008
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Curious George

San Bernardino, CA

#1 Jun 29, 2006
Andy Garcia's portrayal of pre-revolutionary Cuba is as myopic and dishonest as the Cuban gov't's own descriptions of the current situation within Cuba. Pre-reloutionary Cuba had become nothing more than the United State's private, corporate "whorehouse" with live sex shows, U.S. mafia run casinos and prostitution, wide-spread illiteracy, and the Batista regime paying off the Catholic church with its parking meter money to keep quiet!!! Let's see someone make an historically real version rather than Garcia's piece of Miami/Cuban propaganda crap.
martinez florida

Longwood, FL

#2 Jun 29, 2006
the comment by the person from california may be partially true but for many cubans it is better to have a country with some corruption that can be not tottaly ignored but can be lived with than an opressive goverment which ask and forcefully demand all of your liveley hood including any possesion they wish and an abandonement of all human and civil rights. because castro before he had triumphed that it was a democratic revolution only to decieve us and say two days after the "bay of pigs" had taken place that it was a socialist/communist revolution so to many cubans it is better to look at the good side of corrupted cuba in the 50s than not be able to look at any good side at all now
Curious George

San Bernardino, CA

#3 Jun 29, 2006
I was, in no way, defending the current situation in Cuba - I am just growing weary of the constant black and white presentations that cast one side as totally wonderful (good) and the other as totally bad (evil). The reality is a massive amount of grey in both realities - anything less is fantasy and one-sided propaganda. Would you then prefer the "old system" with some corruptions under Batista - and have your sister owned by the U.S. mafia and forced to be a performer in live sex shows for U.S. corporate business men? Or, would you be comfortable for this female to be someone elses sister/daughter and sold into the flesh trade in Batista's Cuba? You then are comfortable with a 50% rate of illiteracy so the light skinned Cubans have all the rights of education and medical care and the "freedoms" afforded the priviledged class? There is no perfect or even good system! Move on! Get a life!
Rey

Tallahassee, FL

#4 Jun 30, 2006
I was not satisfied with Andy's movie, but everything i saw was real, no matter he only showed the situation of rich class.
Anyway i recommend Curious George be more curious and study more about Cuba before Castro and after Castro, compare what was good and bad before Revolution, compare 1959's Cuba with the rest of Latin Amnerica, and please, use information from different places, not only that from Cuban government. It is a shame he talks about Cuban women before Fidel like all were prostitutes. Yes we had prostitution, but in specific areas of the city,like in the rest of the world, but now is everywhere, including childrens and men with the big difference that almost all of them are professionals that see in prostitution a better source of living.
Rey

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jun 30, 2006
Curious George, i found this page that would be worth for you:
www.therealcuba.com .
Curious George

San Bernardino, CA

#6 Jun 30, 2006
Rey: I follow the web site you listed plus as many other sites as I can locate which gives a more complete picture of Cuba than just the more rabid Miami/Cuban perspective. I will not deny that, indeed, this is a "part" of the story - the current regime in Cuba has its nasty side as did the brutal U.S. supported Batista regime. I repeat, this is not an all black/white issue. Why are you in Florida and not Cuba seeking to pay the price for freedom rather than living in the comfort of the U.S. and supporting an economic war with my tax dollars?
Rey

Tallahassee, FL

#7 Jul 3, 2006
Stupid!, i am only 17!, and i dont use your taxes, i am american citizen also and also pay my taxes!
Curious George

San Bernardino, CA

#8 Jul 4, 2006
Rey! I did not resort to name calling nor am I stupid! However, I have taken the time to carefully study the U.S./Cuba issue over the past 15 years - that makes you 2 years of age when I began my quest for the truth. In addition, I have made over 35 trips to Cuba leading major delegations, including one state's Department of Agriculture and Education. I have conferred with former President Carter on assisting Habitat for Humanity initiating a project in Cuba. In addition, I taught U.S. History at a Cuban university from an academic perspective helping my Cuban students understanding the U.S. Let me encourage you to read a little more widely and look a bit more deeply before calling someone's views as stupid.
dayiscoming

Dallas, TX

#9 Jul 20, 2006
Curious George,

Your credentials tell me everything I need to know about you. Had you been available back in the 40's Hitler could have "used" you as well. Why believe the victims when you are dealing with the oppressor, who by the way has a top notch misinformation program, although not quite as good as their repressive military machine.

Your hero Castro spends money in propaganda and oppression while the people in the island lack from just about everything, but more importantly from freedom. There is no need for me to waste time reminding you of all the atrocities committed by the Castro regime, I am sure you’ve heard them all. Unfortunately, you are unable or unwilling to see the monster for what he is. Tell me have you along with the worst president the U.S. has ever had visited with Chavez recently? Of course you have, as anyone who hates the U.S. is seen as a friend to your type. I am sure you blame Israel for what is going on in Lebanon too.

Although Rey may be only 17 years of age, he already has a better understanding of what really matters in life than you will ever have. I don’t know where you get the idea that being older makes you smarter. You are living proof that such is not the case.

The day will come when Cubans in the island will thank people like you for all you’ve done for them.
open mind

San Bernardino, CA

#10 Jul 20, 2006
dayiscoming wrote:
Curious George,
Your credentials tell me everything I need to know about you. Had you been available back in the 40's Hitler could have "used" you as well. Why believe the victims when you are dealing with the oppressor, who by the way has a top notch misinformation program, although not quite as good as their repressive military machine.
Your hero Castro spends money in propaganda and oppression while the people in the island lack from just about everything, but more importantly from freedom. There is no need for me to waste time reminding you of all the atrocities committed by the Castro regime, I am sure you’ve heard them all. Unfortunately, you are unable or unwilling to see the monster for what he is. Tell me have you along with the worst president the U.S. has ever had visited with Chavez recently? Of course you have, as anyone who hates the U.S. is seen as a friend to your type. I am sure you blame Israel for what is going on in Lebanon too.
Although Rey may be only 17 years of age, he already has a better understanding of what really matters in life than you will ever have. I don’t know where you get the idea that being older makes you smarter. You are living proof that such is not the case.
The day will come when Cubans in the island will thank people like you for all you’ve done for them.
After reading your very mean-spirited (and unhelpful) response to Curious George, I can only conclude that you either didn't read what he wrote or you're so closeminded that you are incapable of hearing what he is saying. As I read again his remarks (after reading your comments) it seems to me that he is quite upfront about the shortcomings of Cuba under Castro. I didn't read anything in his comments that suggested that he belonged in Germany in the 1940's as a follower of Hitler. In fact, I could easily see him as a part of the German movement to expose Hitler to the world. I fear, in fact, that you are more likely to fit the model of one who refuses to see reality than him. I have a feeling that the people of Cuba today will, in fact, be grateful for those who saw the big picture of what was happening and tried to get others to see it than those who seem to have chosen sides and made war on the truth. Cuba's future is not in their past. Let us hope that a new Cuba will arise from the ashes that will not look at all like its distant past! The people of Cuba (especially those who have continued to live their lives there and not in Miami) deserve more than that.
Ned Walsh

Fayetteville, NC

#11 Jul 23, 2006
Dayiscoming: You seem to be suffering from an acute case of "diarhea of words with a serious constipation of ideas". When did I refer to Castro as "my hero"? Answer - never! And how does the Middle East conflict relate to the topic of discussion? By the way, my friends in Cuba warn me that the CDR captains think I work for the CIA. When I return to the U.S. I am accused of being a dupe of Fidel. I make up my own mind by gathering the facts - that threatens people who see everything as black or white - in your case, as educators say, "You can't teach stupid!" Apparently you have made up your mind so there is no need for you to continue to explore the facts!
newAgel

La Habana, Cuba

#12 Jul 24, 2006
Dayiscoming: sometimes is better to shut your mouth up and listen to make your own idea.
first: can you name one atrocity the Castro regime has committed?
second: <<who by the way has a top notch misinformation program, although not quite as good as their repressive military machine>> because, as far as I know, I have probably more information than you about many things and I swear you that nor me, my family or friends have ever been “repressed”.
third: our lack is maybe of some commodities that, because of many reasons I won’t discuss now, you might have, but I can assure you that when I get sick I can go to the doctor with no fear of been rejected because my social security doesn’t “covers” what I require.
and fourth: have you ever read something about the achievements in social matters that Cuba has?
Dayiscoming have ever visited Cuba?

Rey you’re 17 so I don’t think you have come to Cuba and because of that try to gather more information before talking about something as tricky as US-Cuba policy. I’m only two years older than you and I still can’t have an exact vision of the world so I try to read from people who has lived more than me and then I agree or disagree with that opinion. on this matter I can speak only because I live here. You can express your opinion, but “google” before you do. grow in the skills of decanting information, that would be very useful in life.
amneris

Hialeah, FL

#13 Aug 12, 2006
NewAgel,
Can you name one atrocity that Castro has committed? Are you so misinformed that you don't know all the people that were killed in the "paredon" in earlier years? Since you have access to the internet, it would do you good to research, as these were Cubans just like you, whether you like it or not.
You say then, that you're 19, how come you seem to be so knowledgeable of the United States, when by your own admission, you have never been here?
You might go to a free hospital, but do they have any medicines?
Yes, there are many problems in Cuba, but this is not due to the embargo as you and Curious keep shoving down our throats. If you don't trade with the US, then you must be trading with somebody, because you obviously have a computer, China, Spain, Venezuela, etc., etc. to name a few.
There are many problems in this country, but anyone can stand in the middle of the street and say that Bush is an SOB and nothing happens. It's called freedom of speech. Can any one do that about Fidel in Cuba? Ask yourself honestly this question.
Also, if you're only 19, you were not even thinking about being born when Fidel took over. How is it you know so much about Pre-Castro Cuba?
Lastly, if you say Granma is international, how many newspapers from other countries do you have there? If everyone is employed by the government, how can you really think that the information disseminated is not what the government wants you to know.
amneris

Hialeah, FL

#14 Aug 12, 2006
If this is your way of helping Cubans as you've said in other posts, thanks but no thanks. For your info, my mother was a housewife, not a prostitute like you want to paint all Cuban women before Castro.
I am highly offended that you keep naming your dear mother, but you have no respect for Cuban mothers. I think you ought to re-think your way of wanting to experience life at its fullest and if you don't apologyze right now, I will really think that you are a Cuban communist spy. Oh, and by the way, I live in Miami and I am Cuban, and if you keep talking so disrectpectfully about a people that have done nothing to you, I will think that you are an ignorant BIGGOT!
Curious George wrote:
I was, in no way, defending the current situation in Cuba - I am just growing weary of the constant black and white presentations that cast one side as totally wonderful (good) and the other as totally bad (evil). The reality is a massive amount of grey in both realities - anything less is fantasy and one-sided propaganda. Would you then prefer the "old system" with some corruptions under Batista - and have your sister owned by the U.S. mafia and forced to be a performer in live sex shows for U.S. corporate business men? Or, would you be comfortable for this female to be someone elses sister/daughter and sold into the flesh trade in Batista's Cuba? You then are comfortable with a 50% rate of illiteracy so the light skinned Cubans have all the rights of education and medical care and the "freedoms" afforded the priviledged class? There is no perfect or even good system! Move on! Get a life!
amneris

Hialeah, FL

#15 Aug 12, 2006
The Miami Cuban propaganda crap? I rest my case.
Curious George wrote:
Andy Garcia's portrayal of pre-revolutionary Cuba is as myopic and dishonest as the Cuban gov't's own descriptions of the current situation within Cuba. Pre-reloutionary Cuba had become nothing more than the United State's private, corporate "whorehouse" with live sex shows, U.S. mafia run casinos and prostitution, wide-spread illiteracy, and the Batista regime paying off the Catholic church with its parking meter money to keep quiet!!! Let's see someone make an historically real version rather than Garcia's piece of Miami/Cuban propaganda crap.
amneris

Hialeah, FL

#16 Aug 12, 2006
Again? Enough already. Your political beliefs have been thoroughly explained. You do not need to keep shoving it down our throats. There are ways and there are ways. Either you stop your political PROPAGANDA, or you stop saying that you are interested in all Cubans, because this is certainly a LIE.
Curious George wrote:
Rey: I follow the web site you listed plus as many other sites as I can locate which gives a more complete picture of Cuba than just the more rabid Miami/Cuban perspective. I will not deny that, indeed, this is a "part" of the story - the current regime in Cuba has its nasty side as did the brutal U.S. supported Batista regime. I repeat, this is not an all black/white issue. Why are you in Florida and not Cuba seeking to pay the price for freedom rather than living in the comfort of the U.S. and supporting an economic war with my tax dollars?
amneris

Hialeah, FL

#17 Aug 12, 2006
P.S. Curious, I really thought you spoke from your heart. I really thought that you cared, but if you are trying to prove a point, you thoroughly disappoint me. You don't need to insult anyone in proving your point. That is all you keep doing and I thought that this is a serious discussion. If you are frustrated, imagine how we feel. I hope you can understand how frustrated I feel when I read your posts. You're helping NO One by writing this way.
Curious George

Fayetteville, NC

#18 Aug 13, 2006
Amneris: You are very late in joining this site! I do speak with my heart AND my mind/brain. The issues surrounding Cuba/U.S. relations is historically very deep and extremly complex. To cast all in Cuba as evil and all in Miami/USA as good and righteous is unrealistic and without foundation. Most all of life is, in reality, huge areas of grey which must be filtered through our minds and life experiences, our moral values, our sense of what is good and bad. When I am attacked as being a communist because of the way I think and naturally fight back as it is an insult to me at a very personal level. Treat me and my thinking with respect and I will treat you and your thinking with respect.
amneris

Hialeah, FL

#19 Aug 13, 2006
I do treat you with respect, I believe you're allowed your opinions. However, you misunderstand me and I'm also allowed mine. I feel sorry for the Cuban people, they've had to put up with years of deprivations and it gives me no pleasure in knowing that's their situation. I have never attacked anyone in Cuba, except Fidel Castro.
I do belive however, I've voiced my opionion against those that believe that those that left were cowards, as it took some real guts to go aginst the government and say you wanted to live.
Everyone has the right to do as they please in this world, those that stayed and those that left.
I never also said that in Miami everyone is right, as there are many kinds of people with different opinions that also live here. But you, on the other hand, keep putting us that live here in a group you keep generalizing about.
The reason that I said communist is because you keep in your posts generalizing and putting blame in the US and in the embargo, just like the Communists do. Like you said, it is a very complex issue, but I believe these might be after effects of a doctrine that is beautiful in paper but it doesn't work.
I don't believe that blame lies in either. The blame lies in us, Cubans. Period. Those in the island and abroad.
Curious George

Fayetteville, NC

#20 Aug 13, 2006
Amneris: Who is generalizing!!!!!!!!!! Listen to yourself! The U. S. embargo, in my estimation is immoral, in violation of internatioanl law, and has proven a total failure in almost every instance where it has been used. To deny the right of any soverign nation, no matter how much I might disagree with it, the access to food and medicine is inhumain, evil and dead wrong. We, as U.S. citizens vote for and put in office those who put into force such policies. No, Amneris, we are all to blame and deeply involved in the pain that is Cuba's pain!! When it comes to generalizations listen to yourself amneris, anyone who supports Castro is an evil Communist and anyone who opposses Castro is on the side of justice and good. How simplistic and general can one get?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andy Garcia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Andy Garcia - nude ! (Aug '11) Mar '14 Yeehaw Babe 2
Remake of : Tortilla Flat (Oct '10) Nov '10 Sylvia Garcia 3
Gold Class Cinemas Premieres in Pasadena to Blo... (Dec '09) Nov '10 Glenn 6
For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story,... (Jun '10) Jun '10 LigerOmniPotentMaxx 5
Actor Andy Garcia Leads Demonstration for Cuban... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Paul De Burbank 5
Youths discuss life in Cuba (Apr '09) May '09 hola 11
Andy Garcia, George Lopez and Piol n yap about ... (Nov '08) Jan '09 JKLYT 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Andy Garcia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••