Official: US needs more young farmers, ranchers

Apr 4, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Star-Telegram.com

U.S. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture Kathleen Merrigan sees an epidemic of sorts sweeping across America's farmland.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Sadly family farms are (literally) dying out, being replaced by corporate owned factory farming. And entire way of life which the majority of people used to enjoy will be no more within another generation.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

If You Check the new EPA rules about Farming?...its the last place ya wanna be!.

I had a small family farm,for over 150 yrs,in one family...Today?..It can not be operated with NUMBNUTS and his EPA!Nothing to do with Big Corporate Farms....Road Side Stands were OK!

..Like with a lot of other OBAMA INSANE EPA RULES,they are Killing AMERICA...The EPAs Dust regulations are a killer...DUST ON FARMS are a way of life...the very operations create DUST....But Fat Ass MONKEY FACE CZARS, who never been on a farm...Are creating HARDSHIP,Unnecessarily to Americas Farmers.Whats Next Control the Wind? Rain,Sunlight?...The LOONS are trying

And the AH on here blaming others is the DUMBEST JERK AROUND...Half Brains !!

There are too many other LOONY OBAMA EPA, insanity to list here...Ya Wanna Be A Farmer??? Best you check the EPA STRAIGHT JACKET!

Whats Really KILLING FARMS are the HIGH ENERGY COSTS....Tractors run on Diesel,Gas and NOT SOLAR POWER !...Windmills?? Farmers had the for centuries to pump up water!Ya Can Not Put A Wind Mill On A Manure Spreader!...Nor CATALYTIC CONVERTERS up COWS ASS'S...As once proposed!!

GOD DAM AMERICA?? LOONS AND OBAMA ARE!

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

CHECK SIX wrote:
If You Check the new EPA rules about Farming?...its the last place ya wanna be!.
I had a small family farm,for over 150 yrs,in one family...Today?..It can not be operated with NUMBNUTS and his EPA!Nothing to do with Big Corporate Farms....Road Side Stands were OK!
..Like with a lot of other OBAMA INSANE EPA RULES,they are Killing AMERICA...The EPAs Dust regulations are a killer...DUST ON FARMS are a way of life...the very operations create DUST....But Fat Ass MONKEY FACE CZARS, who never been on a farm...Are creating HARDSHIP,Unnecessarily to Americas Farmers.Whats Next Control the Wind? Rain,Sunlight?...The LOONS are trying
And the AH on here blaming others is the DUMBEST JERK AROUND...Half Brains !!
There are too many other LOONY OBAMA EPA, insanity to list here...Ya Wanna Be A Farmer??? Best you check the EPA STRAIGHT JACKET!
Whats Really KILLING FARMS are the HIGH ENERGY COSTS....Tractors run on Diesel,Gas and NOT SOLAR POWER !...Windmills?? Farmers had the for centuries to pump up water!Ya Can Not Put A Wind Mill On A Manure Spreader!...Nor CATALYTIC CONVERTERS up COWS ASS'S...As once proposed!!
GOD DAM AMERICA?? LOONS AND OBAMA ARE!
B.S.

If you indeed had a family farm for 150 years, you'd know family farms have been declining for decades- long before Obama came on the scene, even before the EPA existed.

It's simply the result of changing demographic. In 1960 the average family farmer produced enough to feed 26 people. We simply can't feed 300 million Americans and an additional 1 billion other humans on the planet with 40 acres & a mule.

It's yet another sign of the overpopulation of our country & the planet.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
B.S.
If you indeed had a family farm for 150 years, you'd know family farms have been declining for decades- long before Obama came on the scene, even before the EPA existed.
It's simply the result of changing demographic. In 1960 the average family farmer produced enough to feed 26 people. We simply can't feed 300 million Americans and an additional 1 billion other humans on the planet with 40 acres & a mule.
It's yet another sign of the overpopulation of our country & the planet.
For Once lets be honest...Along with a host of new difficulties ,small farms are being decimated by the currant EPA rules...Not that other factors are not in volved..In the areas of traditional youth labor? severe restrictions...a Kid cannot sit more than 6 ft on a Tractor???INSANITY..You ask where are the Young farmers..They are leaving the Farm Enverment...Too many BIG BROTHER infringements...The Dust Thing is a killer!..Soon the Carbon Tax Crap ...its trully over!

In yer food markets today...Yer eating stuff from all over the world which was strictly American..Be sure to wash the stuff!!

To run this Small farm I had to supplement my income with other work,so to my wife then.And as Feed,seed Fertilizer grew in price ,it was hard...as you know WEATHER is the small Farmers Friend Or Foe....

There was a time a local lender ,would tide you over with loans till the next harvest...Thats GONE NOW!Like I say Way back to Carter,and under Bush when Gas became high, but it did drop,in 2008 our last endevour gas was cheap..we made out OK..the OBAMA came and with him HIGH ENERGY COSTS!and now so High with out any hope for relief?its Over...

Sold Vegetables ,Eggs,and Maple Syrup. that we made.I logged,and Snow Plowed....it was not enough...

All of my Kids are not farmers,all of my grand kids will never be farmers..and my two Great Grand Kids??? I have to take them to a zoo to see a Cow,Chicken,Rabbit's,Geese,Pig s...its gone...not even the land is worth much now..not with this DEPRESSION...Funny this farm SURVIVED the great depression...and now??? With this MONSTER GOVERMENT??? FORGET...OBAMA is no FDR..Never forget that'

Where was our farm you may ask???Well if you know of WOODSTOCK,the AGE OF AQUARIUS in BETHEL NY???...We were located a scant 3 mils from that INSANITY!.....Have Fun ,get a Tomato Plant,Fertilize it, water it,watch it grow,smell it..and when ready ..Enjoy the fruit of yer labor...may be the only chance you will ever have...Sadley!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

CHECK SIX wrote:
<quoted text>
For Once lets be honest...Along with a host of new difficulties ,small farms are being decimated by the currant EPA rules...Not that other factors are not in volved..In the areas of traditional youth labor? severe restrictions...a Kid cannot sit more than 6 ft on a Tractor???INSANITY..You ask where are the Young farmers..They are leaving the Farm Enverment...Too many BIG BROTHER infringements...The Dust Thing is a killer!..Soon the Carbon Tax Crap ...its trully over!
In yer food markets today...Yer eating stuff from all over the world which was strictly American..Be sure to wash the stuff!!
To run this Small farm I had to supplement my income with other work,so to my wife then.And as Feed,seed Fertilizer grew in price ,it was hard...as you know WEATHER is the small Farmers Friend Or Foe....
There was a time a local lender ,would tide you over with loans till the next harvest...Thats GONE NOW!Like I say Way back to Carter,and under Bush when Gas became high, but it did drop,in 2008 our last endevour gas was cheap..we made out OK..the OBAMA came and with him HIGH ENERGY COSTS!and now so High with out any hope for relief?its Over...
Sold Vegetables ,Eggs,and Maple Syrup. that we made.I logged,and Snow Plowed....it was not enough...
All of my Kids are not farmers,all of my grand kids will never be farmers..and my two Great Grand Kids??? I have to take them to a zoo to see a Cow,Chicken,Rabbit's,Geese,Pig s...its gone...not even the land is worth much now..not with this DEPRESSION...Funny this farm SURVIVED the great depression...and now??? With this MONSTER GOVERMENT??? FORGET...OBAMA is no FDR..Never forget that'
Where was our farm you may ask???Well if you know of WOODSTOCK,the AGE OF AQUARIUS in BETHEL NY???...We were located a scant 3 mils from that INSANITY!.....Have Fun ,get a Tomato Plant,Fertilize it, water it,watch it grow,smell it..and when ready ..Enjoy the fruit of yer labor...may be the only chance you will ever have...Sadley!
You poor thing. Life has just passed you by.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Growing up in Orlando in the early 70's, I watched grove after grove of orange trees bulldozed to make way for houses and malls. The land was far more valuable to developers than it was to the farmers.

I spent my early childhood on a tobacco farm on rented land in Southern Maryland. Again, the land became more valuable to home developers and was sold off.

The few small farmers who were left could no longer compete with Green Giant and Con-Agra farms so they either joined the co-op or bailed out of farming.

And this happened loooong before Obama ever came on the scene.

If we need more farmers, then we need to provide the land and opportunities for it. Few people have the money to go out and buy the land and equipment necessary to run a money-making farm. Farms are now for co-ops and rich folks.

It's a shame that our nation barely feeds itself anymore. We used to feed the entire world. Now we "order in" from other countries and no longer take pride in the food we grow.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

CHECK SIX wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, EPA rules have a minimal effect on small family farms. Their main impact is on factory farms.

It's primarily the economy of scale which has killed the family farms. It wasn't EPA regulations that cause all the local hog & cattle buying stations to close down; it was the corporate owned slaughterhouses which decided it was more profitable to only accept large shipments of animals at once. So without a slaughterhouse willing to buy just a dozen cows, the local buying stations closed down, leaving the small farmers with no way to sell their hogs & pigs. Without that additional income, most small farmers couldn't make it on just grain alone which is at the mercy of the weather.

The same factors apply to just about every other type of farming. Small scale farmers simply can't afford to compete with the large scale operators who contract with ADM or Cargill or Monsanto or ConArgra etc. There are no small chicken or turkey farms anymore. Not because of any EPA regulations, but because unless you contract with one of the major poultry companies who tell you how many barns you have to build and how many thousands of birds you have to raise, you're left selling a few chickens or turkeys to your neighbors.
Yeshi Gemaneh

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2012

It would be a good idea to deploy young people or any interested people on farming. Many young people might not like to be farmers, but instead roaming around and doing nothing to be a farmer is a rewarding occupation.

It is a matter of organizing and training them. The United States is a land of plenty and if farming is facilitated for jobless people it will solve considerable problem. I think, it is only a matter of adjustment and determination. Especially, here in a developed country farming would be much more pleasure, because life style is more or less like urban.
goodbusiness

Wiggins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

Kids only wanna work a 40 hr wk, mon-fri. holidays and paid sick days. America has a cheap food policy, if you want more small farmers pay more and buy from local farmers markets, not the big box stores.
3OHA

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

We reached the tipping point for self-destruction. There are simply too many potheads and hypes; Communist promises from Kruschev have achieved their goal. Pot has invaded even the farm families through the Democrat inspired Federal destruction of our schools. Farm families are teaching their children to be overweight couch potatoes. Potheads don't want to work. Communist teachers and administrators won't even allow recesses out of fear of some queer, or pothead suing them. Masculinity is being suppressed. You all deserve it for killing 57 Million human babies for convenience and lust.
Crandor

Royal Oak, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Many major corporations have bought out the company. Having 5 multinational corporations owning more than 80 percent of the beef industry and closely following in hogs, how is it possible for the youth to become successful when just a handful of companies have made it impossible to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent United States Department of Agriculture Discussions

Search the United States Department of Agriculture Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners Apr 21 Cordwainer Trout 2
Garden plants seeds for a healthier community Apr 16 Anonymous 7
Humboldt Can: Food deserts: Obstacles to health... Apr 16 Hillary Shaw 1
Pig virus threatens US outdoor grilling... Apr 5 frankenstein seeds 1
Bush's budget cuts elderly nutrition plan (Feb '06) Apr 1 midomidi2013 4
Ticonderoga gets new slaughterhouse Mar '14 Facts 8
Recalled beef may have reached 35 states Mar '14 Tres Chic 4
•••
•••