Open letter to Coalition of African-American Pastors

Aug 23, 2012 Full story: www.washingtonblade.com 8

I write you as a retired African-American United Methodist Pastor who was a "foot soldier" in the Civil Rights Movement .

Read more

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Aug 23, 2012
Thank you ever so much, Reverend Caldwell.
LEW777

Long Beach, CA

#2 Sep 3, 2012
snyper wrote:
Thank you ever so much, Reverend Caldwell.
You can't be serious. First, where does the bible speak out against interacial marriage. PLEASE, PLEASE don't go back to the Old Testament to the Children of Isreal & other nations. THAT WOULD BE A TOTAL STRAW MAN.. These persons used isolated bits of scripture to justify their resistance to interracial marriage just as you are doing the same to oppose same-sex marriage" Again, you can't be serious. So we should Ignore the 1st Chapter of Romans? BETTER YET, Tell me "reverend", how should we address the 1st chapter of Romans.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Sep 4, 2012
LEW777 wrote:
<quoted text>You can't be serious. First, where does the bible speak out against interacial marriage. PLEASE, PLEASE don't go back to the Old Testament to the Children of Isreal & other nations. THAT WOULD BE A TOTAL STRAW MAN.. These persons used isolated bits of scripture to justify their resistance to interracial marriage just as you are doing the same to oppose same-sex marriage" Again, you can't be serious. So we should Ignore the 1st Chapter of Romans? BETTER YET, Tell me "reverend", how should we address the 1st chapter of Romans.
I can't speak for Rev. Caldwell.

My sect, dating back to the 1st century, does not credit the Sauline writings to begin with. It never has. For us, they are merely of historic interest.
LEW777

Long Beach, CA

#4 Sep 4, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for Rev. Caldwell.
My sect, dating back to the 1st century, does not credit the Sauline writings to begin with. It never has. For us, they are merely of historic interest.
Explain your position.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5 Sep 4, 2012
LEW777 wrote:
<quoted text>Explain your position.
For a start, Saul was a blatant plagiarist of Plato, the Stoic philosophers, and the Hellenized Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria. Unless one is ready to declare that these were prophets of the Father, one must view Saul's presentation of these ideas to his readers as divine in origin, or inspiration, with more than a little question as to his veracity. Not a good place to begin, is it?

When combined with increasingly elaborate, and sometimes conflicting, accounts of his experiences one is left with a significantly bad taste.

That's just for starters.

A light and easy to read juxtaposition of Sauline writing with that of Plato and the Stoics:

http://www.worldandi.com/newhome/public/2004/...

A simple overview of Philo of Alexandria, whose reinterpretation of the Greek "Logos" also influenced the authors of "John":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philo

Well, that's a start.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 6, 2012
Gay Lunatics Mock Homeless Black Man Reading Bible at Chick-fil-A

http://clashdaily.com/2012/08/gay-lunatics-mo...

GAY MEN MOCK BLACK PREACHER

http://www.kristhetalker.com/2012/08/gay-men-...
1 post removed

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Sep 6, 2012
Non-gay white men mock non-Black "preachers", too.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#9 Sep 7, 2012
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
Gay Lunatics Mock Homeless Black Man Reading Bible at Chick-fil-A
http://clashdaily.com/2012/08/gay-lunatics-mo...
GAY MEN MOCK BLACK PREACHER
http://www.kristhetalker.com/2012/08/gay-men-...
Straight Lunatic Mocks LGBT Readers of This Thread With Absurd Hyperbole. Have they changed out the video since you posted this, or is this (snicker) the same one? Oh bother.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Politics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min PolakPotrafi 1,206,761
How Should the US Government Respond to ISIS? (Sep '14) 3 min Rocky Mtn Guy 3,168
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min DanFromSmithville 154,708
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min Agents of Corruption 320,745
News Latest on Ferguson: Civil rights leaders condem... 5 min Huh 1,704
News Fore! Obama in Florida for weekend golf getaway 7 min barefoot2626 31
News 'Not going to change': Indiana gov defends reli... 7 min Xstain Fatwass Ce... 10
News Indiana lawmakers send religious objection bill... 1 hr barefoot2626 101
News Harry Reid to retire, will not be seeking re-el... 2 hr Lawrence Wolf 85
More from around the web