The President has failed us

Full story: Times News

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Comments (Page 321)

Showing posts 6,401 - 6,420 of218,498
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

As federal programs have burgeoned, we have seen welfare emerge as an enticingly comfortable alternative lifestyle. Free food of all kinds, free housing, free telephones, free medical care, free dental care, free vision care, "supplemental income" checks, rebates on income taxes that one did not pay to begin with, free college grants, free Internet service, free school lunches -- they all beckon to a "poverty" lifestyle unlike any in the history of mankind.

Forget for a moment that munificent welfare programs create more and more multi-
generational welfare families; forget that many working families now have a lower living standard than welfare families; forget that able-bodied people on welfare drain the economy, rather than contributing to it.

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-commentary...
1 post removed

“Extremism is no virtue”

Since: Mar 07

My orchids in bloom

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Achievement and Behavior Among Children of Welfare Recipients, Welfare Leavers, and Low-Income Single Mothers
Sandra L. Hofferth
Journal of Social Issues
BNET
In order to assess the behavioral and cognitive differences between children on welfare and children off welfare, this study examined families in both categories. The researchers discovered a few interesting surprises, but overall, their original assumptions were proved correct. One of their findings showed that children growing up on welfare are more likely to be on welfare as adults,
Non responsive. This is a study about generational poverty, and it says nothing about what people WANT if they have opportunity. Now, opportunity to break out of poverty is the issue, and it works like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/opinion/bro...

Our failure to invest in our children is "national suicide".

“Extremism is no virtue”

My orchids in bloom

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Ya'll have a real good night. See if you can save 60 questions for tomorrow.
higgans

Marion, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>What I think is that you and I are just going to have to cough up some more tax dollars, experience some deep cuts somewhere along the way and baton down the hatches as we move toward austerity on a slower basis in order to preserve economic growth and productivity. We need to start with the wealthiest. They'll get to the rest of us shortly. The problems cannot be fixed by lowering taxes. They're already at record lows. It's not working.
and therein lies the difference between us...
we now spend $800-1000Billion on supporting the poor, AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL. probably another trillion by the States, too. for WHAT?
to keep them from rioting, stealing, whinning?
before 1965, they didn't starve, did they? are NOT kids going hungry still, today? after almost $2 trillion in welfare monies?
most kids, myself included, survived to adulthood withOUT health insurance. I, personally, did NOT have ins coverage until I went to work for RCA (remember that American iconic company?). from at least 1957 (when my father died in auto accident) until 1971, I/we had NO prvt ins, NO Medicaid... plus NO car for most of that time, NO free lunches, NO free book fees, NO free school supplies, NO food stamps, housing or utility assistance, etc.
how in the world did I and my four siblings make it? with NO rent-a-centers, buy here/pay here, etc...?
it is NOT a matter of REVENUE... it is a matter of OVER SPENDING. spending monies we neither have or, by the limitations of the Constitution placed ON the FG, the lagality to do.
cut, cut, CUT NON-essential FG programs... illegal FG programs... over-reaching FG programs.
do u honestly believe the States will let THEIR people starve? they did not do so before 1965. they also were not entitlement slaves.
I grew up POOR and I didn't like it. too many people no longer feel that way. public assistance HAS become a way of life for far too many. I had the example of my peers and their families NOT being in the same boat I was. too many of our citizens now grow-up with the complete OPPOSITE perspective... Public Assistance is OKAY, it IS a way of life. like being a dead beat parent, dropping out of school, working off the books, buying pirated goods like CDs and DVDs, not carrying ID, men living off of women and their childrens' benefits, anti-social behaviour by too many kids, etc...
98% of this sub-culture can be laid directly at the foot of the FG's War on Poverty programs. just think, if the FG had put the same effort into protecting American jobs these past 50 yrs, THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR WELFARE.
sounds to me like SOMEBODY had a PLAN... and it's working.
Come On Nov.

“Extremism is no virtue”

My orchids in bloom

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

On the Distributional Effects of Base-Broadening Income Tax Reform
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/u...

Samuel Brown, William G. Gale, Adam Looney
Published: August 01, 2012

This paper examines the tradeoffs among three competing goals that are inherent in a revenue-neutral income tax reform—maintaining tax revenues, ensuring a progressive tax system, and lowering marginal tax rates—drawing on the example of the tax policies advanced in presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s tax plan. Our major conclusion is that any revenue-neutral individual income tax change that incorporates the features Governor Romney has proposed would provide large tax cuts to high-income households, and increase the tax burdens on middle- and/or lower-income taxpayers.
higgans

Marion, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we have definitely rewarded failure. We rewarded the lousy business practices of banks by making them whole again. The wealthy got theirs, and the rest of us got the shaft.
and u and I can thank the Feds for that.
only, I ALSO blame the Feds. remember, Bush pushed it, Sen Obama first voted for it and then implemented it. no diff there between Rs and Ds... just the good ol' FG doing ITS thing.
Obama continued 90% of Bush's policies. time for a change.
if Romney starts down that same road, give him the boot in '16.
the same with Reps and Sen.s!
there ARE historical remedies for what ails us. do we have the wisdom and guts to use them? we shall see...
less IS better

“Extremism is no virtue”

My orchids in bloom

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

General Election: Romney vs. Obama
Polling Data
Poll Date Sample MoE Obama (D) Romney (R) Spread
RCP Average 7/9 - 7/31 ---- 47.0 45.0

Obama +2.0

Rasmussen Tracking 7/29 - 7/31 1500 LV 3.0 44 47 Romney +3
Gallup Tracking 7/24 - 7/31 3050 RV 2.0 47 45 Obama +2
Democracy Corps (D) 7/21 - 7/25 700 LV 3.7 50 46 Obama +4
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 7/18 - 7/22 1000 RV 3.1 49 43 Obama +6
FOX News 7/15 - 7/17 901 RV 3.0 45 41 Obama +4
CBS News/NY Times 7/11 - 7/16 942 RV 3.0 46 47 Romney +1
NPR 7/9 - 7/12 1000 LV 3.1 47 45 Obama +2
McClatchy/Marist 7/9 - 7/11 849 RV 3.5 48 46 Obama +2

See All General Election: Romney vs. Obama Polling Data

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/...
And so it goes

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/u...
Samuel Brown, William G. Gale, Adam Looney
Published: August 01, 2012
This paper examines the tradeoffs among three competing goals that are inherent in a revenue-neutral income tax reform—maintaining tax revenues, ensuring a progressive tax system, and lowering marginal tax rates—drawing on the example of the tax policies advanced in presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s tax plan. Our major conclusion is that any revenue-neutral individual income tax change that incorporates the features Governor Romney has proposed would provide large tax cuts to high-income households, and increase the tax burdens on middle- and/or lower-income taxpayers.
Yes this so called independent study done by former Obama staffer -Looney. I am sure this was totally non-partisan. Wink, wink

“Extremism is no virtue”

My orchids in bloom

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Obama is still the better deal for most Americans. That's why I'll have to cast my vote for him. His opposition didn't get it right. It's somewhat a case of the lesser of two evils. That's what it boils down to.
higgans wrote:
<quoted text>
and u and I can thank the Feds for that.
only, I ALSO blame the Feds. remember, Bush pushed it, Sen Obama first voted for it and then implemented it. no diff there between Rs and Ds... just the good ol' FG doing ITS thing.
Obama continued 90% of Bush's policies. time for a change.
if Romney starts down that same road, give him the boot in '16.
the same with Reps and Sen.s!
there ARE historical remedies for what ails us. do we have the wisdom and guts to use them? we shall see...
less IS better
higgans

Marion, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, yeah. Just stop with your repeated efforts to assign the blame to Barack Obama. I don't care who started it. He inherited it.
today, Obama IS the face of the FG. it was Bush, now it's him.
the programs ain't working (like the original New Deal didn't work), he, unlike Clinton, is NOT willing to change. time for him to go.
end of story.
ditto for the next 'face' of the FG, and the next, etc...
unless u like rewarding failure and u are just lying about being the opposite?
less IS better

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
Whatever we do, by all means, let us PLEASE give the wealthy some more money! They are hurting, buddy. Don't let them down. Let's just bite the bullet and save the rich. Sheesh.
That is a lot of class envy from someone that has done ok in life.

Question for you:

Who creates more jobs in America?

10,000 welfare recipients

or

10 wealthy people?

Whether they put it in a savings account at the bank (teller, loan officer), buy a boat (salesperson, prep person), buy steaks (butcher) or vacation (all the hotel, local store and restaurant employees they encounter), they fuel the economy.

Welfare, WIC and EBT do NOT fuel the economy (well, they do purchase food from the store, but, ironically, with the stores own tax money all those store employee tax dollars, so it is not as much REAL revenue to the store as if someone walked in with privately earned cash and made the same dollar purchase).

Second question:

How much money of the wealthy go to the "underground/untaxed " economy?

Very little if any.

How much welfare, food stamps and other subsidezed government program money goes to the underground/untaxed economy?

Here is Washington State alone:

The Office of Special Investigation recently got a financial boost from the Legislature in its drive to crack down on fraud, theft and other crimes in DSHS programs. The state allotted about $2.7 million for the office's regular operations this biennium budget period (July 1, 1989, to June 30, 1991) and $3.45 million to expand its fraud-detection program, commonly referred to as FRED.

The office's total budget the previous biennium, ending June 1989, was about $2.6 million, Smith said. In 1989, there was only a pilot FRED program limited to two cities: Seattle and Puyallup. Money for the pilot program was siphoned from that budget period, Smith said.

Tighter record-keeping will be one of many benefits of the expanded FRED program, Smith said. The Office of Special Investigation has the money to hire 22.5 additional investigators this year and 31 more investigators for 1991. The agency will have a staff of 110 by March 1991. It currently has a staff of 72. As of June 1989, it had a staff of 38, Smith said."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/ar...

"“Each $5 dollars in new SNAP benefits generates almost twice that amount in economic activity for the community,” reads a government pamphlet posted by the Weekly Standard (the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is the new name created by the 2008 Farm Bill for the food stamps program).“Everyone wins when eligible people take advantage of benefits to which they are entitled.”
Everybody wins, except those who have to pay for the food stamps. Somehow, they get left out of the equation.
That really is the calculus being done here. They refer to the commerce created when the food stamps are spent, but they don’t mention at all the commerce destroyed when money is taken from taxpayers to pay for those food stamps.
And why are we promoting food stamps use? Food stamps are supposed to be a safety net, not an entitlement program.
The full pamphlet is below."

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/food-stamps-...

http://www.king5.com/news/investigators/Busin...

http://tribune-democrat.com/editorials/x19296...

Not to mention their crack cocaine sales.

Since: Dec 11

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

bottlecap wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt about it---Obama is a fascist control freak.
"The keystone of the Fascist doctrine is its conception of the state, of its essence, its functions, and its aims. For Fascism the State is absolute, individuals and groups relative."
Benito Mussolini
"The Fascist conception of the State is all embracing; outside of it no humane or spiritual values can exist, much less have value. Thus understood, Fascism is totalitarian, and the Fascist State--a synthesis and unit inclusive of all values--interprets, develops and potentiates the whole life of the people."
Benito Mussolini
Let me get this straight... You propose that President Obama is a fascist and to support your delusions you quote Mussolini??? Does that even sound right to YOU?
Just Had To Laugh

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
Obama is still the better deal for most Americans. That's why I'll have to cast my vote for him. His opposition didn't get it right. It's somewhat a case of the lesser of two evils. That's what it boils down to.
<quoted text>
Try something different and vote Johnson for president
July 30, 2012
The Maui News

When there is not a dime's worth of difference between the two establishment candidates for president of the United States, what's a thoughtful citizen to do? If you vote for the lesser of two evils, you still get evil. How well has that worked out for you?

Here is a secret the corporate media won't tell you about: there is an alternative, and his name is Gary Johnson, Libertarian for president. The only thing he is beholden to is the Constitution of the United States.

Reject both of the Wall Street errand boys and try someone different for a change: www garyjohnson2012 com
higgans

Marion, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sick to death of the RICH GUYS influencing our elections and our lives. Screw a bunch of rich guys who want to control our lives and divest us of what we have earned and saved. That's my take on it.
yeah? well, I'm sick to death AND taxes of the Pols buying votes with entitlement programs, amnesty,'free' HC, guilt trips, illegal laws, non-enforcement of laws, lies, govt jobs, exemptions for 'special groups', gerrymandering, did I mention lies?, overspending, finger-pointing, dodging accountablity, NON-transparency, and, lest I forget, LIES.
btw, I didn't know all of those Prog/Dem/Soc/Union voter registration groups were RICH. I know they support one POV... 98% of the time, anyway.
Come On Nov.
And so it goes

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Non responsive. This is a study about generational poverty, and it says nothing about what people WANT if they have opportunity. Now, opportunity to break out of poverty is the issue, and it works like this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/opinion/bro...
Our failure to invest in our children is "national suicide".
You do know that in place of a scientific study you substituted an opinion piece. I sincerely hope you understand this is NO way anything close to a study and next time please be careful not to confuse one with the other.

Opportunity to break out of poverty equated with welfare is assuming that poor people have no options but to be welfare recipients. This is so in-your-face not true that I am surprise you made this leap.
And so it goes

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Terry Buckeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight... You propose that President Obama is a fascist and to support your delusions you quote Mussolini??? Does that even sound right to YOU?
Man, that was a dumb dodge. Reply to the definition
And so it goes

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You acknowledged Obama is evil. That alone should solidify your vote against him as you are already aware of his gross failures without any reasonable hope for any changes in the future.
nobama

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Quirky wrote:
<quoted text>
It`s already suffering. But yes it will get worse if Obama gets re-Elected.
I feel sorry for him if he is re-elected. Think of the mess he will inherit.
And so it goes

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

NTRPRNR1 wrote:
General Election: Romney vs. Obama
Polling Data
Poll Date Sample MoE Obama (D) Romney (R) Spread
RCP Average 7/9 - 7/31 ---- 47.0 45.0
Obama +2.0
Rasmussen Tracking 7/29 - 7/31 1500 LV 3.0 44 47 Romney +3
Gallup Tracking 7/24 - 7/31 3050 RV 2.0 47 45 Obama +2
Democracy Corps (D) 7/21 - 7/25 700 LV 3.7 50 46 Obama +4
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 7/18 - 7/22 1000 RV 3.1 49 43 Obama +6
FOX News 7/15 - 7/17 901 RV 3.0 45 41 Obama +4
CBS News/NY Times 7/11 - 7/16 942 RV 3.0 46 47 Romney +1
NPR 7/9 - 7/12 1000 LV 3.1 47 45 Obama +2
McClatchy/Marist 7/9 - 7/11 849 RV 3.5 48 46 Obama +2
See All General Election: Romney vs. Obama Polling Data
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/...
Cater was ahead at this point. Doesn't prove much
higgans

Marion, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

Jeff T in MPLS wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your thoughtful response!
I am hoping you can help me get a better understanding of your position regarding this quandry we find ourselves in:
"Ultimately, I have to consider what Romney says he wants to do versus what Obama says he wants to do."
That would be inaccurate. While it is what Romney SAYS he wants to do, it is "versus what Obama has PROVEN he cannot do".
Yet, you go for the sure loss versus the potential gain.
You know I am NO fan of Romney. However, if the choice in a sinking boat is:
1. Keep sticking a certain something in the hole in the bottom of the boat that has PROVEN not to keep the water out
or,
2. Stick something different in that same hole, with that same water, that MAY slow or stop the influx of water
Which would you choose if your shoes were wet?
she thinks it is a revenue problem.
ur analogy is right on. this version of the FG plugs the hole with money, paper. paper gets soaked and the water comes in. her and her pick's solution is stick more paper (money) in the hole!
maybe, just maybe, a new CEO will make the flow smaller by reducing the size of the hole (spending).
so simple even stupid people shud understand it...
less IS better

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,401 - 6,420 of218,498
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••