Roanoke-area crowds show support for Chick-fil-A

Aug 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Roanoke Times

Chick-fil-A customers crowd into a Roanoke location Wednesday in order to support the fast-food chain after some conservative leaders called for a national day of support.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of36
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 2, 2012
 

Judged:

7

7

5

It really was hate-fil-a appreciation day! The problem is not the COO of CFA opinion it is donating tons of money t hate groups. Why shuld I spend my money there to have it donated to groups I do not belive in? Mike Hickabee showed NO Christian value here just a hater wanting media attention. Shame on you Faux Christian!
whatever

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 2, 2012
 

Judged:

1

then don't eat there no one is asking you to, get over the fact that there are people out there who don't support gays and there always be people who don't. no one will ever change that just because people go by the bible does not make them bad. geez I so sick of people putting down Christians because they go on what they where taught, ever think maybe they get sick of gays trying to MAKE them support them?? And the fact you can't watch a tv show without seeing gay people, don't they have rights too? I'm not saying gay people shouldn't have rights I think people should be able to do what they want to, more power to them but i don't think you should hate the people who don't think like you do and boycott something and tell people they shouldn't eat somewhere because of it, its just dumb,and i have never even ate there before i just plane think people are dumb not gay people all people these days. what ever happen to FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND FREEDOM OF RELIGION people will never agree on everything together its sad but true, if people want to protest go protest the westboro baptist church(cult) they hate everyone now they are crazy along with their CULT leader FRED PHELPS and plus your helping give him media attention by posting this if that is all he wanted your playing right into it.
Imeke

Christiansburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 3, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Well done, rabid gay marriage proponents.
Brilliant move, boycotting Chick-Fil-A. Thanks to an in-your-face approach of forcing your beliefs onto others via the PC police, you have given the very company you sought to wound what will likely be it's biggest single payday ever, and given the opposition to your cause a symbol to stand behind and a new sense of purpose. Nicely played. This is why politics through emotion never works. Apply some logic next time. Your relationship rights do not trump the 1st Amendment, and you got what you deserved for trying to stong arm your opposition into remaining silent on your issue.

And I'll reiterate, I completely support gay marriage. 100%. I do not support the approach that has been taken in this particular case. You cannot tell others how to think and you cannot blackmail them into not expressing their opinions.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I think perhaps some people may be missing and misunderstanding vital information here.

First, I feel the burning need to point out "Whatever" and "Imeke" are both misinterpreting the 1st amendment and freedom of speech.

The 1st amendment of the constitution is intended to grantee the rights of citizen to be free from restriction or censorship *By and From The Government*, or government representatives, with regards to speech, religion, assembly, press, and petition for a redress of grievances.

Any private citizen is completely free to object to speech, or religion, etc.-that is exactly what the 1st amendment grantees. The Government can't tell anyone that they are forbidden from saying homosexuality is wrong. Other citizens CAN respond to to someone saying homosexuality is wrong. They can protest it, boycott it, write letters about and tell that person they are a hateful idiot for saying that... That IS what the 1st amendment protects. The right of people to speak, and voice their opinions publicly. It does not protect the speaker from the reactions or repercussions of what they said.

I think it's pretty clear that is exactly what is happening here. Someone said something publicly and they now have to face everyone elses reaction. There is no law, amendment, protection or right anywhere in our constitution that protects them from that, or even hints that they have a right to be free from reactions to their opinion.

Second, it's not even the voiced belief that homosexuality is wrong that is actually being protested. That publicly voiced opinion was what drew attention to the actual issue that Is being protested. That being huge amounts of money being given to groups that actively attack, lobby against, and even harm homosexual persons and rights. These are:

Marriage & Family Legacy Fund
National Christian Foundation
Focus On The Family
Eagle Forum
Exodus International
Family Research Council

These groups, among others, received money from Chick-fil-A. These groups are actively seeking the restriction, censorship, and removal of rights from homosexual persons. Several of the leaders and members of the above organizations advocate for the recriminalization of homosexuality as well as forced "rehabilitation" of homosexual persons.

I'm pretty sure that would get my attention if a business was giving money directly to a group that wanted me stripped of my rights, declared criminal for my innate characteristics, and then forced into programs designed to alter something fundamental to my nature. Like, if a group said it was wrong to be a hetro female, I could probably live with that after telling them off a bit. But-if they also gave 2,000,000 dollars to a group that was dedicated to making it illegal to be a hetro female, petitioning for taking away the rights of all hetro females, and forcing hetro females into programs intended to force them into being gay men - I would probably raise all holy hell.

That is what is happening, here. Gays are objecting to the support of hate groups, that want them to have no rights or recourse. They are not doing anything that in anyway goes against either the letter or spirit of the 1st amendment.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

FairyGothMother wrote:
I think perhaps some people may be missing and misunderstanding vital information here.
First, I feel the burning need to point out "Whatever" and "Imeke" are both misinterpreting the 1st amendment and freedom of speech.
The 1st amendment of the constitution is intended to grantee the rights of citizen to be free from restriction or censorship *By and From The Government*, or government representatives, with regards to speech, religion, assembly, press, and petition for a redress of grievances.
Any private citizen is completely free to object to speech, or religion, etc.-that is exactly what the 1st amendment grantees. The Government can't tell anyone that they are forbidden from saying homosexuality is wrong. Other citizens CAN respond to to someone saying homosexuality is wrong. They can protest it, boycott it, write letters about and tell that person they are a hateful idiot for saying that... That IS what the 1st amendment protects. The right of people to speak, and voice their opinions publicly. It does not protect the speaker from the reactions or repercussions of what they said.
I think it's pretty clear that is exactly what is happening here. Someone said something publicly and they now have to face everyone elses reaction. There is no law, amendment, protection or right anywhere in our constitution that protects them from that, or even hints that they have a right to be free from reactions to their opinion.
Second, it's not even the voiced belief that homosexuality is wrong that is actually being protested. That publicly voiced opinion was what drew attention to the actual issue that Is being protested. That being huge amounts of money being given to groups that actively attack, lobby against, and even harm homosexual persons and rights. These are:
Marriage & Family Legacy Fund
National Christian Foundation
Focus On The Family
Eagle Forum
Exodus International
Family Research Council
These groups, among others, received money from Chick-fil-A. These groups are actively seeking the restriction, censorship, and removal of rights from homosexual persons. Several of the leaders and members of the above organizations advocate for the recriminalization of homosexuality as well as forced "rehabilitation" of homosexual persons.
I'm pretty sure that would get my attention if a business was giving money directly to a group that wanted me stripped of my rights, declared criminal for my innate characteristics, and then forced into programs designed to alter something fundamental to my nature. Like, if a group said it was wrong to be a hetro female, I could probably live with that after telling them off a bit. But-if they also gave 2,000,000 dollars to a group that was dedicated to making it illegal to be a hetro female, petitioning for taking away the rights of all hetro females, and forcing hetro females into programs intended to force them into being gay men - I would probably raise all holy hell.
That is what is happening, here. Gays are objecting to the support of hate groups, that want them to have no rights or recourse. They are not doing anything that in anyway goes against either the letter or spirit of the 1st amendment.


Great post, great explanation.

Had Dan Cathy been prosecuted or thrown in jail, that would have violated his 1st amendment rights.

Some tend to think, when you say something publicly you should be shielded from the repercussions of your actions.

You are only "sheilded" from government repercussion.
tomtom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 4, 2012
 
Well first of all he is a Baptist he did and interview for a Baptist magazine, talking about what his beliefs are there is NOTHING wrong with that, and second its HIS money do random people tell you what to do with your money? I doubt it, no one can't stop that, I do agree hate groups are wrong but you still can't stop him from giving them money. People saying he is attacking the gay community are plan retarded, if he was gay bashing them calling the profound names that would be attacking, but that is not what he did. I agree with whatever go after that so called "church" from Kansas they are full of hate. Why waist your time on what one person said, and heck the guy is getting better business than ever now they pretty much gave him and the hate groups the money, they where better off just turning the other cheek. I'm a gay male and I can see this..think about it
Gary Turdpacker

Dillwyn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

2

OutVoice wrote:
It really was hate-fil-a appreciation day! The problem is not the COO of CFA opinion it is donating tons of money t hate groups. Why shuld I spend my money there to have it donated to groups I do not belive in? Mike Hickabee showed NO Christian value here just a hater wanting media attention. Shame on you Faux Christian!
Did you write this on the rest room walls while down in the mens room toe tapping in the rest room stalls? Make sure you guys keep you hands off my leg in the bars.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

tomtom wrote:
Well first of all he is a Baptist he did and interview for a Baptist magazine, talking about what his beliefs are there is NOTHING wrong with that, and second its HIS money do random people tell you what to do with your money? I doubt it, no one can't stop that, I do agree hate groups are wrong but you still can't stop him from giving them money. People saying he is attacking the gay community are plan retarded, if he was gay bashing them calling the profound names that would be attacking, but that is not what he did. I agree with whatever go after that so called "church" from Kansas they are full of hate. Why waist your time on what one person said, and heck the guy is getting better business than ever now they pretty much gave him and the hate groups the money, they where better off just turning the other cheek. I'm a gay male and I can see this..think about it
It is profoundly unfortunate that this is the extent of your understanding of this issue. It certainly depresses me to find myself reading your post, and be faced with such a lack of comprehension and critical thought.

You are not participating in a thoughtful debate of the issue - sorry, but you obviously aren't applying critical thinking to this. I really can't respond to as much misinterpretation, misinformation, and misunderstanding as you somehow managed to cram into that one poorly written paragraph...

It's like you have somehow missed every facet of our process, system, and indeed even the very basic tenets of our society.

We're having totally different conversations, so we are not communicating. I can't possibly debate with someone who doesn't understand what they are debating.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Gary Turdpacker wrote:
<quoted text> Did you write this on the rest room walls while down in the mens room toe tapping in the rest room stalls? Make sure you guys keep you hands off my leg in the bars.
You're thinking of conservative christian leaders, hun. Watch out for your local evangelical leaders if you're worried about that...
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

FairyGothMother wrote:
I think perhaps some people may be missing and misunderstanding vital information here.
...
Yes, and your sophistry shows exactly who is... you.

You make a claim of someone supporting "hate" groups, but offer no instance of Candy giving money to these groups. You can't even establish they are "hate" groups, as they perform no assaults, nor even governmental restrictions, as those supporting gay issues clearly have in the recent showdown. But, let's say Candy gave money to a family values organization...

There was a time when homosexual behavior was illegal. The laws were reactions to the impact of homosexual behavior on society. Changing, or eradicating those laws came about by various people and organizations giving money to groups working to remove those laws. Organizations currently working to reestablish those laws are funded and openly express their desired outcomes. Groups previously working to remove those laws consistently worked for removal in surreptitious ways, using environmental groups, anti-nuke groups, anti-war groups, to fund homosexuals working not for their causes, but for removing restrictions concerning homosexual behavior. Thus, current family groups are open and honest; homosexual history shows them secretive and dishonest. Their operations were used to fund pornography and other propaganda inserting itself into mainstream media. This is a significant distinction.

Society makes certain behaviors illegal. Your sophistry would claim there was no reason for any group to act to make any behavior whatsoever illegal. That is the real danger of the anarchist homosexual position and assaults on society.

Further, you assert that homosexual behavior is "innate", etc. There is no evidence to support this position, yet it is now commonly asserted. Those working to reestablish the criminality of homosexual behavior believe that a person can control their behavior and that homosexuals should be encouraged to control theirs. Also, groups embracing the long established world historical reality of man/woman marriage are protecting a civilized tradition, not attacking gay rights, which you erroneously call human. Those "rights" should never have been established, because homosexual behavior is inherently destructive to civilization and any concept of morality, or ethics, as you have established in your sophistry of claiming society has no right to establish certain behavior as illegal.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

When we saw all the neo-KKK fundies lined up at Chick-fil-A we decided not to lower ourselves to their level
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/02/the-und...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

tomtom wrote:
Well first of all he is a Baptist he did and interview for a Baptist magazine, talking about what his beliefs are there is NOTHING wrong with that, and second its HIS money do random people tell you what to do with your money? I doubt it, no one can't stop that, I do agree hate groups are wrong but you still can't stop him from giving them money. People saying he is attacking the gay community are plan retarded, if he was gay bashing them calling the profound names that would be attacking, but that is not what he did. I agree with whatever go after that so called "church" from Kansas they are full of hate. Why waist your time on what one person said, and heck the guy is getting better business than ever now they pretty much gave him and the hate groups the money, they where better off just turning the other cheek. I'm a gay male and I can see this..think about it
Hon; The freedom of speech thing is just window dressing to divert attention from the real underlying issue
.
Over the last 3 years the Cathy family's WinShape Foundation donated $5 million dollars to domestic neo-KKK anti-gay terrorist hate organizations
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelli...
.
Every time you buy a Chick-fil-A sandwich you are financing fundamentalist christian death squads that burn us out and kill us dead just like the KKK did to the darkies 50 years ago
http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2011/03/01/homop...
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Hon; The freedom of speech thing is just window dressing to divert attention from the real underlying issue
.
Over the last 3 years the Cathy family's WinShape Foundation donated $5 million dollars to domestic neo-KKK anti-gay terrorist hate organizations
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelli...
.
Every time you buy a Chick-fil-A sandwich you are financing fundamentalist christian death squads that burn us out and kill us dead just like the KKK did to the darkies 50 years ago
http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2011/03/01/homop...
Your extreme, unsupportable allegations neutralize and actually harm your position. Such allegations are slander against rational, non-violent groups and organizations simply working to have homosexuals control their deviant behaviors.

The true "terror" has been realized from homosexual groups, who have been funded and used their funded positions to do such as intentionally infect thousands of heterosexuals with HIV/AIDS, as your ACT-UP organization publicly threatened in the 80s.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Duh. I don't think your up to this, hun.

Sorry, but I'm not going to explain everything to you. Never-mind if you're locked in a loop of fallacy and disregarding easily discovered, falsifiable information ;you don't want truth or reason, you've already rejected understanding in favor of your own "super special rightness".

So, live there. Be that. I'm not going to carefully enumerate all the facts you are totally missing or all the subtleties you can't seem to grasp. Or make any attempt to disprove stuff that's just not true. I don't try to prove mountains aren't flat, either. Just no point. If you can't figure it out yourself, that's unfortunate for you, but not my job.

You don't have anything really relevant to say. Just cling to things that don't have anything to do with anything, because they just aren't real. Pat yourself on the back for making an argument no one can argue with - because you just can't argue with made-up stuff, and there is no real point to doing so.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 4, 2012
 
My post ,above, is a response to "Bringmedinner"...I thought I had hit "reply" so they would be quoted but it seems I just posted...sorry for any confusion....
1 post removed
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

FairyGothMother wrote:
Duh. I don't think your up to this, hun.
Sorry, but I'm not going to explain everything to you. Never-mind if you're locked in a loop of fallacy and disregarding easily discovered, falsifiable information ;you don't want truth or reason, you've already rejected understanding in favor of your own "super special rightness".
So, live there. Be that. I'm not going to carefully enumerate all the facts you are totally missing or all the subtleties you can't seem to grasp. Or make any attempt to disprove stuff that's just not true. I don't try to prove mountains aren't flat, either. Just no point. If you can't figure it out yourself, that's unfortunate for you, but not my job.
You don't have anything really relevant to say. Just cling to things that don't have anything to do with anything, because they just aren't real. Pat yourself on the back for making an argument no one can argue with - because you just can't argue with made-up stuff, and there is no real point to doing so.
Sophistry is sophistry. Your sophistry was clearly established. Self-validating accusations against others is apparent in several of your replies to others. Apparently, you believe that claiming someone else is inferior to you is proof of your positions.

You and others attempt to change the parameters of the discussion YOUR supporters started by trying to use government to restrict the opinions of someone supporting traditional family values. Since your assertions have been proven as sophistry, you can no longer direct the discussion. It's absurd to complain about the funding of family organizations, when you yourselves are funded by anti-family organizations.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Sophistry is sophistry. Your sophistry was clearly established. Self-validating accusations against others is apparent in several of your replies to others. Apparently, you believe that claiming someone else is inferior to you is proof of your positions.
You and others attempt to change the parameters of the discussion YOUR supporters started by trying to use government to restrict the opinions of someone supporting traditional family values. Since your assertions have been proven as sophistry, you can no longer direct the discussion. It's absurd to complain about the funding of family organizations, when you yourselves are funded by anti-family organizations.
Oh! Wow....You really did pat yourself on the back! That's awesome! I'd almost believe this was a case to call Poes Law, but unfortunately I think you're genuine. That is soooo freaking funny!

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

OK, so what do you want to be "right" about next?

I know...How 'bout you claim the sky is green, and I'll say it's not worth exploring that because it's so obviously wrong and easy to disprove - and then you can celebrate how "right" you were about that too!

Damn, this must be a good day for you :)
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
Your extreme, unsupportable allegations neutralize and actually harm your position. Such allegations are slander against rational, non-violent groups and organizations simply working to have homosexuals control their deviant behaviors.
The true "terror" has been realized from homosexual groups, who have been funded and used their funded positions to do such as intentionally infect thousands of heterosexuals with HIV/AIDS, as your ACT-UP organization publicly threatened in the 80s.
You live inside a female body; right?
.
You're supposed to place the little arrow on top of the blue words and mash the left mouse button to bring up the applicable news articles; sugar
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

FairyGothMother wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh! Wow....You really did pat yourself on the back! That's awesome! I'd almost believe this was a case to call Poes Law, but unfortunately I think you're genuine. That is soooo freaking funny!
It cannot be "Poe's Law", since it is "Don't Crush That Dwarf; Hand Me The Pliers" Law.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of36
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••