Abortion ruling: Illinois' parental notification law is cleared...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A federal appeals court in Chicago on Tuesday breathed new life into a long-dormant Illinois law that requires physicians to notify the parents of teenage girls before performing abortions.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of330
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
beatrice

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

this has nothing to do with parental rights or proper healthcare - it's yet another attempt at an end run around reproductive rights. don't these zealots have anything better to do, like trying to ban the pill or slashing funding for poor families yet again?
Christine

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

This is an excellent way to increase domestic violence in the state! It's too bad they didn't focus on educating the kids that are already here first. Isn't it wonderful that our politicians and lawmakers are so morally upright (cough, sputter) that they can give guidance to the rest of us. They must have finally found a way to charge a fee for this. Illinois is in shambles. The only reason the population is increasing is because citizens can't afford to move out. More nickle and dime revenue and nanny laws and cameras than any other state in the union and the most corruption. Anyone see a correlation?
I am so glad to hear it

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

I am so glad to hear it. Our society has run amok with abuse of our youngest, most vuneralble daughters. They need all the help they can get in this over-saturated with p-o-r-n world.

Time for parents to be parents! And the law is the law!
Interested Observer

Deerfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Every year I need to produce a form signed by me and my kid's doctor before she will be allowed to take an aspirin in school under the supervision of the school nurse. And some people think it's a good idea for her to be able to have an abortion with me even knowing about it? Give me a break.
Interested Observer

Deerfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Uh, that would be "without me even knowing about it" - time for coffee now.
Frightening

Marengo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

The slant on this story is soooooooooo obvious. Perhaps the reporter should step back and try and be objective.

As for the physicians telling the parents, my guess is there will be a few girls beaten to death because of it. Way to go Thomas More Society, the blood will be on your hands.
Frightening

Marengo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Jack Stephens wrote:
Just another example of terrorist "xtians" trying to turn the United States of America...Land of the Free...into a "xtian theocracy". Funny, Jesus never said 1% of what these fake "xtians" attribute to him.
Jack, take a vacation.
too old

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Anyone under 18 is a child, and needs parental consent for any other procedure (surgery, dermatology, even to take an advil in school). This is no different, except that it is also ending a life.

There is no abuse on choice here. The pregnant girls (NOT women, girls) don't get to decide this one. The choice is the decision to have sex, NOT to kill the fetus.

Of course, at least until you're 18. Like it or not though, anyone under 18 still needs mom and dad's notification (and SHOULD need permission).

I know, I know... "what about parental abuse?" How common is that vs a scared teen whose mom and dad would actually support them? Nice red herring.
musial6

Decatur, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

How ridiculous are the Democrats, the do gooders and social improvers of Illinois? They opposed parental notification for girls under the age of 17 but won't allow them to buy cigarette lighters or get their ears pierced? They're nuts, and Chicago keeps sending them to City Hall and Springfield.
Clark Kent

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

musial6 wrote:
How ridiculous are the Democrats, the do gooders and social improvers of Illinois? They opposed parental notification for girls under the age of 17 but won't allow them to buy cigarette lighters or get their ears pierced? They're nuts, and Chicago keeps sending them to City Hall and Springfield.
Great point!

The thing that really bothers me is the fact that they want me and you to pay for it with tax dollars. When will people wake up and see these ideas are not about rights or protections, they are about liberal eugenics.
Exactly Right

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Interested Observer wrote:
Every year I need to produce a form signed by me and my kid's doctor before she will be allowed to take an aspirin in school under the supervision of the school nurse. And some people think it's a good idea for her to be able to have an abortion with me even knowing about it? Give me a break.
Amen to that.

And when there are complications, whose insurance will be tapped to pay for the costs? The same parents who people say have no business in this decision. Can't have it both ways, if you want the parents to be kept in the dark, absorb ALL of the costs involved too.
Tom Arraya

Willowbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

At what point does a parent no longer have dominion over their child? Or in this case their child's body?
JohnP

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

The reason we have minimum ages for driving, smoking, voting, etc is because, as a society, we believe that people who are younger don't have the level of maturity necessary to make good choices. We have statutory rape laws for this reason, as well. If we don't think that a 15 year old girl can make the right choice about having sex, why would we think she'd make the right choice about having an abortion? Other medical procedures cannot be done without parental consent. A young girl can't even get her ears pierced without parental consent. Many of you are concerned about the young girl being abused if she tells her parents. I understant that, but a 15 year old girl who is pregnant is also the victim of a crime. If the parents know she is pregnant, they can prosecute the man who did that to her. Maybe some of those men might think twice about having sex with an underage girl if they knew they couldn't "make the problem go away" for a few dollars.
Don

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Jack is from MA. No surprise there. MA produced the Kennedys and John Kerry, great Catholics who think killing unborns is ok by them, just make sure you are still anti-war and anti-death penalty. This is all about politics. ACLU? Give me a break. Just when did the ACLU become a wing of the Dem Party?
Jack Stephens wrote:
Just another example of terrorist "xtians" trying to turn the United States of America...Land of the Free...into a "xtian theocracy". Funny, Jesus never said 1% of what these fake "xtians" attribute to him.

Since: Apr 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Interested Observer wrote:
Honey, if your daughter feels she needs an abortion, she's going to get one with or without your consent. You just better hope that she's able to get a safe one.
Clark Kent

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

JohnP wrote:
The reason we have minimum ages for driving, smoking, voting, etc is because, as a society, we believe that people who are younger don't have the level of maturity necessary to make good choices. We have statutory rape laws for this reason, as well. If we don't think that a 15 year old girl can make the right choice about having sex, why would we think she'd make the right choice about having an abortion? Other medical procedures cannot be done without parental consent. A young girl can't even get her ears pierced without parental consent. Many of you are concerned about the young girl being abused if she tells her parents. I understant that, but a 15 year old girl who is pregnant is also the victim of a crime. If the parents know she is pregnant, they can prosecute the man who did that to her. Maybe some of those men might think twice about having sex with an underage girl if they knew they couldn't "make the problem go away" for a few dollars.
While I agree with your basic point, I just want to point out that the girl would only be a victim of a crime if the man/boy is older. A 16 year old girl who gets pregnant by a 15 year old boy is not a victim of a crime.
Clark Kent

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Dienne wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, if your daughter feels she needs an abortion, she's going to get one with or without your consent. You just better hope that she's able to get a safe one.
And I just hope I don't have to pay for someone elses abortion, regardless of their age!
pippin

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

These parental notification/consent laws are designed for the specic purpose of making it difficult or impossible for the girl to terminate her pregnancy. This has nothing to do with parental involvement which can not be legislated. If the parents were appropriately involved in the girl's life, she whould feel comfortable asking for their guidance. There are reasons girls are unable to go to their parents with issues such as unwanted pregnancy, abortion, birth control. Anyone who compares the aforementioned issues to getting an
Advil or tooth pulled is misinformed. Oh yeah, you may be one of those parents that your daughter is not able to confide in...better keep a real close eye on her. Unwanted teen pregnancies happen in families of all races, creeds and socioeconomic groups. A teenager is not immune just because she lives in Highland Park in a pretty house with a sit at home mom.
Miz

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

People need to realize that this shouldn't be a pro-choice vs pro-life issue and it's awful that anyone takes a stance based simply on that. It's about protecting children and parents' rights to raise their children as they see fit.

When you're performing any medical procedure on a child, the parents have a right to know. Any girl who thinks she's responsible enough to make the decision on her own should also be responsible enough to practice safe sex (even though they really shouldn't be having sex at all at that age because few teens are responsible enough to handle the potential reprecussions). If she got pregnant through other means, i.e. rape, her parents should know so they can help her deal with that trauma.

Since: Apr 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

pippin wrote:
These parental notification/consent laws are designed for the specic purpose of making it difficult or impossible for the girl to terminate her pregnancy. This has nothing to do with parental involvement which can not be legislated. If the parents were appropriately involved in the girl's life, she whould feel comfortable asking for their guidance. There are reasons girls are unable to go to their parents with issues such as unwanted pregnancy, abortion, birth control. Anyone who compares the aforementioned issues to getting an
Advil or tooth pulled is misinformed. Oh yeah, you may be one of those parents that your daughter is not able to confide in...better keep a real close eye on her. Unwanted teen pregnancies happen in families of all races, creeds and socioeconomic groups. A teenager is not immune just because she lives in Highland Park in a pretty house with a sit at home mom.
Well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of330
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••