Atheists on the march in America

There are 70657 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#62383 Apr 21, 2012
Krinkle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I posted something about this before.
It's interesting to know that god is all in our head and it can be synthesized using computers.:)
Yes indeed. That is interesting.

:)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#62384 Apr 21, 2012
It is really sad what has happened to the other Atheist thread "In American, Atheists are still in hiding" it's being overrun by very angry people.

Let's make this thread a happy place, full of love for anyone who wishes to argue. Just say, "yes yes, that's fine. thank you." And then move on to something new and meaningful instead of being weighted down by negativity.

So, does anyone have any good ideas for Atheist meetings? Activities or fund raisers?

I have been thinking about starting meetings in my area on Sunday afternoons, for atheists to just meet and talk about different things and just have a good time. If people want they can take the initiative to start working towards donating to a charity or doing some sort of community work.

I don't know, it's just been running through my head.

Since: Oct 10

United States

#62385 Apr 22, 2012
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious observation. One wonders how the whole concept originated - in different places, at different times.
I think you missed my attempt to point out the obvious human fascination with hero reverence. For theists it's God, for 'Atheists'(you specifically) it's themselves; hence my "self-made", "creator" connection. Too abstract, I reckon.
There is no "hero reverence" in atheism. Atheism is simply the lack of beliefs in any gods. No hero reverence required. Why must you make things up as you go along?

The irony is that it is the believer who has the self-inflated ego. They create a god in their own image, one who amazingly always agrees with them and shares the exact same likes, hates, preconceptions and prejudices. And they elevate themselves above the non-theist fray by deluding themselves into childishly thinking they are worthy of some eternal reward over other people.

Please tell me you have something better than the diarrhea emanating forth from your fingertips on the keyboard.

United States

#62386 Apr 22, 2012
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Narcissistic personalities are, without doubt, the most destructive. Can you see why that is?
Projection.

mdbuilder continues to lie about other posters. Apparently, you have no substantive argument.

United States

#62387 Apr 22, 2012
Joe Fortuna wrote:
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say ALL life is equally important, bugs, plants, and humanity, can't you extrapolate from that the relative unimportance you're placing on human life? If you'd pluck a dandelion from your driveway, by your logic, you'd just as casually kill a human being. You can't have it both ways.
"Super retarded" huh. Just how old are you, 21, 22?
I don't think he was making it a personal issue, but looking at it from the big picture.
Life as we know it on this planet, would still survive without humans. We are no more important to life on this planet than any other creature. Actually we are a danger to most life that exists on this planet.
I put some of the blame for that on these passages in the bible, Genesis 1:26-29
Agreed. I share the view that the poster was merely stepping back and viewing the relative importance of life objectively. The planet and the universe for that matter places no more importance on humans than anything else. It is only humans who think humans have the most value, for obvious reasons.

Location hidden

#62388 Apr 22, 2012
Happy Sunday Everyone!!! My stomach is full of Spaghetti and I'm ready to fly outside put this monstrous day of rest back to work.

I'm still waiting for great ideas for Atheist meetings, so if you are out there, just reading through, throw some ideas my way. Anything and everything will be accepted as possible.
Slavic Baptist

United States

#62389 Apr 22, 2012
Krinkle wrote:
It is really sad what has happened to the other Atheist thread "In American, Atheists are still in hiding" it's being overrun by very angry people.
Let's make this thread a happy place, full of love for anyone who wishes to argue. Just say, "yes yes, that's fine. thank you." And then move on to something new and meaningful instead of being weighted down by negativity.
So, does anyone have any good ideas for Atheist meetings? Activities or fund raisers?
I have been thinking about starting meetings in my area on Sunday afternoons, for atheists to just meet and talk about different things and just have a good time. If people want they can take the initiative to start working towards donating to a charity or doing some sort of community work.
I don't know, it's just been running through my head.
Atheists are doomed only to ruin society. One atheist, or a fake christian- Barak Husein Usama achieved his goal. Four more years, and we will be all deep in sewer tank. You guys tried already to do something "good", but somehow you end up with much worse situation all around you,than before.
Slavic Baptist

United States

#62390 Apr 22, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeed. That is interesting.
Hi Bob. How is it going. I see you the last standing original atheist here, still refusing God's love. Why, Bob, why. Where is the Doctor? Why you guys still can't answer John's questions?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#62391 Apr 22, 2012
Slavic Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists are doomed only to ruin society. One atheist, or a fake christian- Barak Husein Usama achieved his goal. Four more years, and we will be all deep in sewer tank. You guys tried already to do something "good", but somehow you end up with much worse situation all around you,than before.
I see your racial hate and bigotry is still as strong as ever.

Marking you as just another Genuine Christian™.

Never forget: you Genuine Christians™ are the MAJORITY.

Meaning? Any "septic tank" condition is ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT.

That's the way it is, bub.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#62392 Apr 22, 2012
Slavic Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Bob. How is it going. I see you the last standing original atheist here, still refusing God's love. Why, Bob, why. Where is the Doctor? Why you guys still can't answer John's questions?
I am not refusing anything: I'm here.

Your god is the one who is MIA, bub.

As always.

Location hidden

#62393 Apr 22, 2012
Slavic Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists are doomed only to ruin society. One atheist, or a fake christian- Barak Husein Usama achieved his goal. Four more years, and we will be all deep in sewer tank. You guys tried already to do something "good", but somehow you end up with much worse situation all around you,than before.
Ignore!

Location hidden

#62394 Apr 22, 2012
IGNORE the troll, please.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#62395 Apr 22, 2012
Krinkle wrote:
IGNORE the troll, please.

SB will wander off-- he always does (while ignoring any and all questions)
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#62396 Apr 22, 2012
Slavic Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Bob. How is it going. I see you the last standing original atheist here, still refusing God's love. Why, Bob, why. Where is the Doctor? Why you guys still can't answer John's questions?
I have given john at least three positions that I would defend and have provided evidence for those positions, john simple has no evidence for the position he claims, or at least he avoided providing it. People who fall for johns BS, are in the same boat as john, they have no evidence either.

Location hidden

#62397 Apr 22, 2012
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
I have given john at least three positions that I would defend and have provided evidence for those positions, john simple has no evidence for the position he claims, or at least he avoided providing it. People who fall for johns BS, are in the same boat as john, they have no evidence either.
No, Joe!!! Don't feed the troll!!!

Location hidden

#62398 Apr 22, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
SB will wander off-- he always does (while ignoring any and all questions)
But why even bother asking them questions? Christians are just coming to these threads looking to start a religious fight.

I really don't even want to talk about religion, evolution, the big bang, string theories or quantum uncertainty.

Can't people just talk normal about everyday Atheist issues?

Location hidden

#62399 Apr 22, 2012
I heard a great quote today and I loved it. In the context of talking about the history of gods and the changing of religion, a gentleman stated that all people were skeptical about gods... "The difference between me and you, is that I believe in one less god than you do." and then he went on to look at the natural logical progression.

To paraphrase him - In the past polytheism, in it's many varieties, was the most abundant form of worship and then in the past 1500 years Monotheists have taken control. If we follow the logical process, the next step will be no gods.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#62400 Apr 22, 2012
Krinkle wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Joe!!! Don't feed the troll!!!
I just find it hard to let ridiculous statements go unanswered.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#62401 Apr 22, 2012
Krinkle wrote:
<quoted text>
But why even bother asking them questions? Christians are just coming to these threads looking to start a religious fight.
I really don't even want to talk about religion, evolution, the big bang, string theories or quantum uncertainty.
Can't people just talk normal about everyday Atheist issues?
To make them think.
I thought the only issue you have, to have, to be a atheist is, the lack of believe in a god.
Course I know there is a lot more to the person who is a atheist, than just not believeing in god.
What issues do people who are atheist have that the rest of us don't have? I only really communicate with one atheist, and the issues he is concerned with is getting a good education, keeping his job, having relationships with others, having time to relax and enjoy life, and concerns in the dirrection are environment is going. He is also young enough to worry about having to go to war.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#62402 Apr 22, 2012
Krinkle wrote:
I heard a great quote today and I loved it. In the context of talking about the history of gods and the changing of religion, a gentleman stated that all people were skeptical about gods... "The difference between me and you, is that I believe in one less god than you do." and then he went on to look at the natural logical progression.
To paraphrase him - In the past polytheism, in it's many varieties, was the most abundant form of worship and then in the past 1500 years Monotheists have taken control. If we follow the logical process, the next step will be no gods.
Not to knock that logic, but have you heard of the cycle of life, things some times have patterns that are repeated over and over.
You may be able to go back far enough in time that there were no thoughts of gods, but I believe you would have to go back to a point in time where self awearness didn't exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP's fight for 2016 nomination likely to drag ... 3 min Le Jimbo 88
News Bernie Sanders Appeals to Democrats' Elizabeth ... 4 min serfs up 35
News Obama wins trade victory in the Senate 4 min Le Jimbo 10
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min DanFromSmithville 164,088
News US Department of Justice statement on FIFA corr... 7 min Kahoki 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Grey Ghost 1,233,399
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min loose cannon 189,984
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 45 min Bam 2,352
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr sandy1 328,513
More from around the web