'The War Is Not Over'

Full story: Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON - President Bush led the nation on Monday in marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept.
Comments
267,781 - 267,800 of 276,398 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281315
Jul 4, 2012
 
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I do not understand French, but I could decode your message which meant "I was on vacation, for Entertainment purposes"!!
I hope I was right.
I "am" on vacation, and it is a working one.

Frankly is my entertainment. Only in small doses, however.

“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281316
Jul 4, 2012
 
frank wrote:
Here in Australia, the right-wing-noise that spelt doomsday messages in the early 1970's when National Healthcare was introduced never eventuated. When they won government years later with a promise to repeal never happened. Why? Because all the health insurance companies are still in business, no one went broke and doctors still drive around in their Mercedes and Beamers. So go figure, US right-wing-noise is a much to do about nothing. Only had Hillary Clinton been able to intro her plan when Bill was in office it would have been a lot less painful because he was cashed up. However the right has been known to not like change especially American conservatives. When the world went metric in late 60's nothing happened in the US. Same when the world went to national health in 70-80's no way was it going to happen in the US. Still minting pennies -- even though it costs 3cents to mint, and still vote on a Tuesday. A tradition that dates back to farmers, bringing their crops to market, in the horse and buggy days. Rest of the world moves on, votes on a weekend so the vote is maximized. So this is not the Democrats that block all these old habits , its right-wing-nuts intransigent that just hates change in any way. So when Obama tries to correct something that was clearly not going to be self funded he gets labeled a socialist even though from the 70's it was known the boomers hitting health care was a train wreck coming for both the economy and health service.
Copied from another forum
"Moving on" from the farmers you seem to be dissing in your copied article will make you a lot of friends, Frankly.

You'll probably have to go fishing for smelt, after you reduce all water allocations for those damn folks.

Bite the hand that feeds you, certainly.



“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281317
Jul 4, 2012
 
Sandy wrote:
a link.
1 Million Homeless Students In US
www.youtube.com
It has been revealed by a Department of Education report that there are 1 million homeless students in the US. Source: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/ .....
I was homeless at one time, for months on end. Although it was an interesting part of my younger life, it really had no future.

I decided that it was not for me, and did something about it.

Thus, I have experience with this.

Why are you still living with your parents?

“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281318
Jul 4, 2012
 
Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama Dances to Party Rock Anthem
After hearing news of the Supreme Courts ruling on a section of "ObamaCare" and that it was constitutional, President Obama was in high spirits and celebrated just a little bit. I found this on CNN and thought it would be fun to share. This originally aired on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. All rights to this video belong to NBC/The Tonight Show and also CNN. No infringement intended...
I thought you were pushing the commerce clause perspective last year, saying emphatically that the Constitution allowed this due to this particular clause.

Are you disappointed that Roberts, in his majority opinion, indicated that it could only fly as a tax, but not as part of the commerce clause?
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281319
Jul 4, 2012
 
Shocking new revelations about a Darrell Issa Conspiracy----------Fortune reports that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives operation was nothing like Issa has claimed. In fact, Fast and Furious was so different that it is virtually impossible for Chairman Issa to be so utterly misinformed. He appears to be lying.

Fortune reports that the “2000 guns” often named by Issa as having been a part of the program were actually guns that were purchased ordinarily by suspected straw purchasers who were under investigation. They were not guns purchased by ATF, with ATF funds, or for ATF investigations.

As it turns out, only five guns appear to have been purchased with ATF funds. They were all part of an operation conducted by ATF Agent John Dodson, congressman Issa’s ostensible “whistle-blower.” So it appears that John Dodson described his own operation, but made it sound like everyone was doing it. In reality, his investigation was the only example among seven ATF gunrunning units.

Here’s the biggest shocker: Fortune reports that a transient named Jaime Avila purchased three WASR-10 rifles (an AK-47 knockoff) at a Glendale Arizona gun shop. A gun shop employee notified ATF by faxing the bill of sale conveying his suspicions. The serial numbers from these guns were entered into the Phoenix office gunrunning database from the faxed bill of sale.

These were not the Dodson guns. Agents never saw, touched, funded, or purchased the guns found at the Terry murder scene.

Based on prior experience, the agents knew they didn’t have a case against Avila yet. In Arizona, it is not against the law to buy guns with someone else’s money. Nor is it against the law to then give them away, even immediately.

Today’s Washington Post reports that Agent William D. Newell, former head of the ATF Phoenix office said that there is no evidence that AG Eric Holder knew any details of his office’s efforts to stop straw purchases for the Sinaloa drug cartel. So when the Justice Department reported to the Oversight Committee that ATF didn’t buy guns or let them walk, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that they were reporting:

what they believed to be true,
what was true in each of seven ATF units charged with stopping drug-cartel straw purchases,
and what was true in all cases except for Dodson’s failed experiment.
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281320
Jul 4, 2012
 
onomatophobia c wrote:
<quoted text>I dunno, but have you seen what's happened in Europe over the last century?
Not nearly as peaceful as it is here, what...with euros and their excessive..racism,sexism,anti this... anti that...how long do you figure it'll be till those nutty euros are at it again?
What country do you think has been rileing Europe and other nations feathers over the last century? The God-damned USofA!
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281321
Jul 4, 2012
 
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking they might just go with the tax rather than be responsible. It starts at 1% and then increases, doesn't it?
800 new IRS agents just hired, I heard.
Pelosi indicated that this whole thing is dependent on the tax in order to get funded. What would be the goal of that?
You might want to catch up on your deliquent taxes soon. I know you love Bernie Jack--f yet I don't think you'd want to reside with him.
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281322
Jul 4, 2012
 
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were pushing the commerce clause perspective last year, saying emphatically that the Constitution allowed this due to this particular clause.
Are you disappointed that Roberts, in his majority opinion, indicated that it could only fly as a tax, but not as part of the commerce clause?
Robert's decision was made with only thought for Insurance Co profits to postpone the envidiable, Medicare for all!
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281323
Jul 4, 2012
 
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were pushing the commerce clause perspective last year, saying emphatically that the Constitution allowed this due to this particular clause.
Are you disappointed that Roberts, in his majority opinion, indicated that it could only fly as a tax, but not as part of the commerce clause?
Now only brainless! If I Only Had a Brain - The Wizard of Oz (4/8) Movie CLIP (1939) HD ...
May 26, 2011 ... The Wizard of Oz Movie Clip - watch all clips http://j.mp/z18aBw click to subscribe
http://j.mp/sNDUs5 The Scarecrow (Ray Bolger) tells Dorothy ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch... - 194k -
frank

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281324
Jul 4, 2012
 
Reinhard Gehlen wrote:
Shocking new revelations about a Darrell Issa Conspiracy----------Fortune reports that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives operation was nothing like Issa has claimed. In fact, Fast and Furious was so different that it is virtually impossible for Chairman Issa to be so utterly misinformed. He appears to be lying.
Fortune reports that the “2000 guns” often named by Issa as having been a part of the program were actually guns that were purchased ordinarily by suspected straw purchasers who were under investigation. They were not guns purchased by ATF, with ATF funds, or for ATF investigations.
As it turns out, only five guns appear to have been purchased with ATF funds. They were all part of an operation conducted by ATF Agent John Dodson, congressman Issa’s ostensible “whistle-blower.” So it appears that John Dodson described his own operation, but made it sound like everyone was doing it. In reality, his investigation was the only example among seven ATF gunrunning units.
Here’s the biggest shocker: Fortune reports that a transient named Jaime Avila purchased three WASR-10 rifles (an AK-47 knockoff) at a Glendale Arizona gun shop. A gun shop employee notified ATF by faxing the bill of sale conveying his suspicions. The serial numbers from these guns were entered into the Phoenix office gunrunning database from the faxed bill of sale.
These were not the Dodson guns. Agents never saw, touched, funded, or purchased the guns found at the Terry murder scene.
Based on prior experience, the agents knew they didn’t have a case against Avila yet. In Arizona, it is not against the law to buy guns with someone else’s money. Nor is it against the law to then give them away, even immediately.
Today’s Washington Post reports that Agent William D. Newell, former head of the ATF Phoenix office said that there is no evidence that AG Eric Holder knew any details of his office’s efforts to stop straw purchases for the Sinaloa drug cartel. So when the Justice Department reported to the Oversight Committee that ATF didn’t buy guns or let them walk, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that they were reporting:
what they believed to be true,
what was true in each of seven ATF units charged with stopping drug-cartel straw purchases,
and what was true in all cases except for Dodson’s failed experiment.
According to the investigation, Agents never saw, touched, funded, or purchased the guns found at the Terry murder scene. Not only that but Arizona’s lax gun laws (it’s like buying a sandwich) also made it impossible to prosecute the 31 men identified by ATF agents as suspected straw purchasers for the Sinaloa drug cartel.
Darrell Issa represents gun manufacturing. When agent Terry got killed he knew there would be a call to stop all guns from crossing the border into Mexico. But the Mexican cartels are the largest purchaser of US made guns. So Issa deliberately concocted and set up the gun scandal. And look how effectively the scam worked. Guns are still flowing freely and legally into Mexico. There is no call for gun control. He embarrassed the president, diminished Holder’s ability to investigate his leaks and GOP election fraud, made a name for himself, and walked away a richer man. That guy is master criminal.
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281325
Jul 4, 2012
 
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the investigation, Agents never saw, touched, funded, or purchased the guns found at the Terry murder scene. Not only that but Arizona’s lax gun laws (it’s like buying a sandwich) also made it impossible to prosecute the 31 men identified by ATF agents as suspected straw purchasers for the Sinaloa drug cartel.
Darrell Issa represents gun manufacturing. When agent Terry got killed he knew there would be a call to stop all guns from crossing the border into Mexico. But the Mexican cartels are the largest purchaser of US made guns. So Issa deliberately concocted and set up the gun scandal. And look how effectively the scam worked. Guns are still flowing freely and legally into Mexico. There is no call for gun control. He embarrassed the president, diminished Holder’s ability to investigate his leaks and GOP election fraud, made a name for himself, and walked away a richer man. That guy is master criminal.
investigate issa/nra/alec/cnp/ariz judical and law enforcement!
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281326
Jul 4, 2012
 
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the investigation, Agents never saw, touched, funded, or purchased the guns found at the Terry murder scene. Not only that but Arizona’s lax gun laws (it’s like buying a sandwich) also made it impossible to prosecute the 31 men identified by ATF agents as suspected straw purchasers for the Sinaloa drug cartel.
Darrell Issa represents gun manufacturing. When agent Terry got killed he knew there would be a call to stop all guns from crossing the border into Mexico. But the Mexican cartels are the largest purchaser of US made guns. So Issa deliberately concocted and set up the gun scandal. And look how effectively the scam worked. Guns are still flowing freely and legally into Mexico. There is no call for gun control. He embarrassed the president, diminished Holder’s ability to investigate his leaks and GOP election fraud, made a name for himself, and walked away a richer man. That guy is master criminal.
Congressman Frank Guinta appears today with his brother-in-questionable ethics, Congressman Dan Issa, who has faced accusations of using his office for personal gain.

Guinta has been named one of the most corrupt members of Congress by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, for failing to come clean about a $125,000 loan to his campaign – from a previously undisclosed bank account. Guinta has yet to answer questions about where he acquired the mysterious bank account. When Guinta was serving as mayor of Manchester, the city of Manchester had to put a lien on one of his properties for failure to pay city taxes and wastewater bills.

Issa, the head ethics investigator in Congress, has been accused of using his powerful position to benefit himself and his business holdings. As the New York Times reported ”Congressman Darrell Issa “has secured millions of dollars in Congressional earmarks for road work and public works projects that promise improved traffic and other benefits to the many commercial properties he owns here north of San Diego.”

“The Corruption Brothers Issa and Guinta are the embodiment of how far the Tea Party dominated GOP has fallen and how little regard it has for the well-being of middle class families,” Raymond Buckley, Chairman of the New Hampshire Democratic Party said.“Issa and Guinta are the poster children of the radical Tea Party that has spread through Washington and Concord in Bill O’Brien’s House.”
Reinhard Gehlen

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281327
Jul 4, 2012
 
After 8 years Al Jazeera asks what killed Arafat !?
"And amazingly Al Jazeera international made us forget for couple of hours our internal issues in Egypt and made us ask on twitter What killed Arafat after nearly 8 years of his death. "
John_PA

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281328
Jul 4, 2012
 
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is happy 4th?
As the Channel 10 news guy would say" don't drink a fifth on the forth so you come forth on the fifth
musta

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281329
Jul 4, 2012
 
hi all
allah-original terrorist

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281330
Jul 4, 2012
 
as long as subhuman muslims are killing each other it's really ...OK
frank

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281331
Jul 4, 2012
 
Darrell Issa has accused the Obama administration as “the most corrupt” in history! This coming from a known felon and habitual liar – Issa has been arrested twice, ones for grand theft auto of a Maserati and ones for illegal possession of a fire arm while driving down a one-way street. He also lied about his military unit providing security for President Richard Nixon, sweeping stadiums for bombs prior to games in the 1971 World Series, and that he received the highest approval ratings during his service. However, a 1998 investigation by the SF Examiner found these claims were not true, since Nixon had not attended any of that year's World Series games. The investigation also discovered that Issa was actually transferred to a supply depot after he received an unsatisfactory evaluation.
frank

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281332
Jul 4, 2012
 
What is Ol’ Mitten hiding from again? Romney is a smart guy to be sure and most likely would make a damn good President but what is it with his half-truth and constant flip-lops? Based in Bermuda, Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. was not listed on any of Romney's state or federal financial reports. The company is among several Romney holdings that have not been fully disclosed, including one that recently posted $2 million in earnings — suggesting he could be wealthier than the nearly $250 million estimated by his campaign. Sankaty Assets Ltd. was transferred to a trust owned by Romney's wife, Ann,‘one’ day before he was sworn in as Massachusetts governor in 2003. The offshore company was used in Bain's $1 billion takeover of Domino's Pizza and other multimillion-dollar investment deals more than a decade ago.
ABs

Hogansville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281333
Jul 4, 2012
 
frank wrote:
What is Ol’ Mitten hiding from again? Romney is a smart guy to be sure and most likely would make a damn good President but what is it with his half-truth and constant flip-lops? Based in Bermuda, Sankaty High Yield Asset Investors Ltd. was not listed on any of Romney's state or federal financial reports. The company is among several Romney holdings that have not been fully disclosed, including one that recently posted $2 million in earnings — suggesting he could be wealthier than the nearly $250 million estimated by his campaign. Sankaty Assets Ltd. was transferred to a trust owned by Romney's wife, Ann,‘one’ day before he was sworn in as Massachusetts governor in 2003. The offshore company was used in Bain's $1 billion takeover of Domino's Pizza and other multimillion-dollar investment deals more than a decade ago.
Touching story my dear friend francis...

One day a woman's husband died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the warmth of their bedroom, the wife was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore".

No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minute."

Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, say "I love you."

So while we have it, it's best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.

This is true for marriage.....And old cars... And children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.

Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a sister-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what.

Life is important, like people we know who are special, like my dear friends here on TWINO, even you francis... And so, we keep them close!

Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know you love them?

Important thing is to let every one of your friends know you love them, even if you think they don't love you back.

And just in case I'm gone tomorrow...

Remember this my friend...

Please vote against Obama and all the other wall street owned incumbents...
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#281334
Jul 4, 2012
 
News you will not see or hear on CNN and FOX News

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

What You Need to Succeed is Sincerity, And If You Can Fake Sincerity You've Got It Made.(Old Hollywood axiom)

By William Blum (Contd.)

The questions concerning immigration into the United States from south of the border go on year after year, with the same issues argued back and forth: What's the best way to block the flow into the country? How shall we punish those caught here illegally? Should we separate families, which happens when parents are deported but their American-born children remain? Should the police and various other institutions have the right to ask for proof of legal residence from anyone they suspect of being here illegally? Should we punish employers who hire illegal immigrants? Should we grant amnesty to at least some of the immigrants already here for years?... on and on, round and round it goes, for decades. Every once in a while someone opposed to immigration will make it a point to declare that the United States does not have any moral obligation to take in these Latino immigrants.

But the counter-argument to the last is almost never mentioned: Yes, the United States does have a moral obligation because so many of the immigrants are escaping situations in their homelands made hopeless by American interventions and policy. In Guatemala and Nicaragua Washington overthrew progressive governments which were sincerely committed to fighting poverty. In El Salvador the US played a major role in suppressing a movement striving to install such a government, and to a lesser extent played such a role in Honduras. And in Mexico, although Washington has not intervened militarily in Mexico since 1919, over the years the US has been providing training, arms, and surveillance technology to Mexico's police and armed forces to better their ability to suppress their own people's aspirations, as in Chiapas, and this has added to the influx of the impoverished to the United States. Moreover, Washington's North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), has brought a flood of cheap, subsidized US agricultural products into Mexico and driven many Mexican farmers off the land.

The end result of all these policies has been an army of migrants heading north in search of a better life. It's not that these people prefer to live in the United States. They'd much rather remain with their families and friends, be able to speak their native language at all times, and avoid the hardships imposed on them by American police and right-wingers.
Counterpunch

Several readers have asked me why Counterpunch, one of the most important progressive websites, no longer runs this report. It's been going on for about six months. Awhile ago I wrote to the two gentlemen who run the site, asking what happened. Neither one answered. It's a big mystery, particularly since I seemed to be on very friendly terms with them. Any reader who shares my concern can feel free to contact the editors; perhaps you'll have more luck than I did. counterpunch@counterpunch.org
Notes
1. Washington Post, March 5, 1987
2. Associated Press, December 12, 2006
3. President Ahmadinejad Delivers Remarks at Columbia University, Transcript, Washington Post, September 24, 2007
4. Remarks by the President at AIPAC Policy Conference, White House Office of the Press Secretary, March 4, 2012
5. Washington Post, March 3, 2008
6. The Pentagon v. Peak Oil, TomDispatch.com , June 14, 2007
7. Los Angeles Times, June 18, 1990


William Blum is the author of:

Killing Hope: US Military and CIA Interventions Since World War 2

Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
West-Bloc Dissident: A Cold War Memoir
Freeing the World to Death: Essays on the American Empire

Portions of the books can be read, and signed copies purchased, at www.killinghope.org

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••