Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#36160 Jul 31, 2012
Gillette wrote:
Truth and morality are SUBJECTIVE things.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Is that true? If it is true then it self refutes.
So, lightbeamrider, when I ask 'christians' about:

What about slavery?

What about killing people who do not believe?

What about taking virgins and forcing them into marriage?

They are all very quick to say, "That's the morality of the time! god doesn't want that for us now!"

In other words, morality is subjective, right?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#36161 Jul 31, 2012
The Dude wrote:
There are numerous passages which describe the Earth just as I laid out. You're simply just another run of the mill non-literalist Biblical literalist.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> So you take those passages literally? Learn how to read ancient literature.
Another brilliant statement!

How to read the bible:
1. If I like the verse, take it literal!
2. If I do not like the verse, use one of the following:
a. Learn how to read ancient literature.
b. Claim that jesus changed that.
c. Claim that paul changed that.
d. Claim that john changed that.
e. Claim that scripture written 100 years later changed that.
f. Ignore it.
g. Claim that the reader does not have the holy spirit in them, therefore they cannot understand what god really meant.

That is why a fundie can wear different fabrics, whilst eating shellfish and pork sandwich, after sneaking a quickie with the preacher's daughter, whilst their wife is out of town, and say, "Homosexuality is a sin and we cannot let them marry or god will not bless this country!"

Things god said, but didn't really mean.

Deuteronomy 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Leviticus 11:10 But anything in the seas or the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is detestable to you.

Leviticus 11:7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

Leviticus 21:9 A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death.

But god meant this one!!!

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

This one we must pay attention to! LOL!

“Always wear your makeup!”

Since: Jul 12

Syracuse, NY

#36162 Jul 31, 2012
Evolution vs. Creation?

Who keeps making this out to be vs. two things when the two things work together?

There is proof of Evolution thus it is factual although, not all is known about it.

There is also proof of creation but not a lot is known about that either. Things don't come from nothing unless by supernatural thus; a God created all things including Evolution so I do not see what the big deal is unless one is Atheist and if one is Atheist; he or she has the right to disagree and not believe in a God. It is a free country and pushing religion onto others as if they will burn in a Hell is just down right wrong. Jesus would not do that and real Christians don't do it either.

In fact, we are all born as Atheists. Culture helps decide if we end up in a given religion or not but for many of us, we knew at age two if there was a God or not and those of us who did know it are gifted with that one gift yet lacking in other gifts. No one has every gift on this plane of existence.

I believe all peaceful religions lead to the same outcome in the end as well as those who are Atheists and Atheism is NOT a religion. Atheists I know do not like it being called what it is not. Most Atheists are great people who love life because they believe this is all there is and they try to make the most of it.

Christians could take a page from that book because we are meant to make the most of this life rather than be in prayer all the time. If God wanted us in prayer all the time, we would have been created and sent to the Heaven plane of existence rather than here but even there, it is not all prayer and I use the word Heaven for lack of a better word for that plane of existence but I have nearly died and I do know, we go on after this life.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#36163 Jul 31, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You're pathetic.
Your insults convert to blessings according to Matthew 5:11.

Location hidden

#36164 Jul 31, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
And your magic book told you this??
Only life produces life? Yes. As does Science. Biogenesis. You know. Eliminated Spontaneous Generation which was believed true for 200 years because they had no other explanation for maggots on rotting meat. Folks in your camp have nothing but contempt for the Bible and that is the way it is read. Says more about critics than it does about Scripture.
Elohim

Deep River, CT

#36165 Jul 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Noah never got them on the boat.
You're nuttier than outhouse at a peanut eating contest.
Elohim

Deep River, CT

#36166 Jul 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
And when was that? "The last time I checked"
30 seconds ago. Google "pastor drug arrest" and got over 17,000,000 hits.
Elohim

Deep River, CT

#36167 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Only life produces life? Yes. As does Science. Biogenesis. You know. Eliminated Spontaneous Generation which was believed true for 200 years because they had no other explanation for maggots on rotting meat. Folks in your camp have nothing but contempt for the Bible and that is the way it is read. Says more about critics than it does about Scripture.
No contempt for the bible, contempt for those like you who lack a basic understanding what science , evolution or basic logic is. You offer no scientific evidence.You spout nonsense then back it up with quotes from a book of fairy tales.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#36168 Jul 31, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
......Pikkiwok......
...Bart Simpson...

Location hidden

#36169 Jul 31, 2012
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>No contempt for the bible, contempt for those like you who lack a basic understanding what science ,
It has little practical value in my life. Since my time is limited there is little reason to study these things which would take away from the study of things i find interesting. If you represent Science then you come across as arrogant, and even hostile to things that matter to me. Do you pay my bills? Do you seriously think i care all that much what you think of Me? There is nothing you can do to me. As Paul said,''Have i become your enemy by telling you the truth?''
evolution or basic logic is.
Non theistic macro evolution is BS.
You offer no scientific evidence.
Scientific evidence for God is in creation. It is how the facts are interpretated.
You spout nonsense then back it up with quotes from a book of fairy tales.
You cannot or will not distinguish the difference between fairy tales and actual ancient accounts. On the one hand you write you have no contempt for the Bible and on the other you dismiss it as a book of fairy tales. No ''basic logic'' in that. Again, it all boils down to one event. The resurrection of Christ. It either happened or it did not.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36170 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Been where you are at.
<quoted text> Is that true? If it is true then it self refutes.
lightbeamrider wrote:
What was true and moral for Hitler is not the same as what was true and moral for Ghandi. Both are equally valid by your definition.
Objectively speaking, that is correct.
lightbeamrider wrote:
There is no reason to help the weak if non theistic evolution is true.
Theism is irrelevant to evolution, whether it be atheism or theism. There is no reason to help the weak if theism is true because God will sort it all out anyway.
lightbeamrider wrote:
There is no reason to accept our sense of right and wrong as nothing more than activity in the brain. Like everything else, Brain exhaust.
Then go around assaulting everybody then. Watch what happens. Then tell me there's no good reason.

Another fundie adds evidence to the idea that fundies really are psychopaths.
lightbeamrider wrote:
But you know better? Actually it is an invisible all powerful Being capable of speaking everything into existence and much more.
Oh, well if you put it like that then how can we not take you seriously?

weebleewoiblyweeblywoiblyweebl ywoiblyweeblywoibly
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36171 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> So you take those passages literally? Learn how to read ancient literature.
You learn how to read ancient literature. Your baseless religious opinions arent' any better than anyone else's. You're not the world's greatest Biblical scholar. Your not His official spokesperson. God does not love you best. You're simply just another fundie with a big mouth who thinks his opinions are worth sh t.

They aren't.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36172 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Uncaused cause. Yes. Outside time and space since these had a beginning at the big bang. Get this through your head.
I have. You're a hypocrite. You complain about quantum events then invoke an uncaused cause yourself.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Only life produces life.
Life is an arbitrary definition. Fact is that life is chemistry. Chemistry produces chemistry. You are claiming it works when it's theologically convenient and it doesn't work when it's theologically inconvenient. As pointed out, your religious opinions are irrelevant.

Besides, in order to get to heaven you have to be dead. But God is in heaven but he is alive. God is alive but he is a non-biological spirit. Only biology produces biology. God also didn't produce humans via his natural reproductive system, he created them artificially, like Dr Frankenstein. In other words, life coming from non-life.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Confess your own sins.
Don't need to. Who are you again?(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36173 Jul 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are this singularity having gravity of unheard of strength could not just start expanding! Impossible. As soon as the laws of physics take hold like one billionth of a second after the big bang then gravity would have held or pulled this singularity back together and stopped time again.
Science deals with facts - them are the facts.
Pre big bang singularity and then the big bang just could not have happened.
Common physic laws prove this.
Your science doesn't know if it's coming or going. Science needs to stick to the facts and not make up this crap that just could not have happened.
So the physicists who propose the Big Bang are all wrong and you know better even though you don't understand a single shred of science.

Plus evidence doesn't matter to you anyway because evidence of a young Earth is evidence of a young Earth and evidence of an old Earth is evidence of a young Earth. Thus rendering all your complaints moot.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36174 Jul 31, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Why does someone who believes in a nonsensical god quote Brian Greene saying the universe has to make sense?
Especially when Brian Greene disagrees with him.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36175 Jul 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is you who grasp at straws and ignore what you wish to twist and turn the bible it to ridicules non scripture statements.
And the pay homage to anything your science says no matter how reticules it is. "all matter that ever existed fitting on a pins head and then just started expanding all on its own" clueless that breaks all rules and laws that science has come up with to date.
No need to twist anything, it's all right there in the Bible.

Like I said, no such thing as a Biblical literalist. There are only those who know it's flawed, or hypocrites.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36176 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Only life produces life? Yes. As does Science. Biogenesis. You know. Eliminated Spontaneous Generation which was believed true for 200 years because they had no other explanation for maggots on rotting meat. Folks in your camp have nothing but contempt for the Bible and that is the way it is read. Says more about critics than it does about Scripture.
Spontaneous generation was falsified as there was no mechanism for the idea to bring about fully-formed organisms out of nowhere, such as maggots in rotting meat. It was later learned it was simply flies laying eggs in the body. In short, it falsified creationism.

It said nothing about the incremental of life developing from naturally occurring chemical processes.

Since that IS how life happens now, creationists are only bastardizing the concept of spontaneous generation in order to beat up a caricature. Their straw-men have little to do with reality.

Since: Apr 12

Beijing, China

#36177 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Again, it all boils down to one event. The resurrection of Christ. It either happened or it did not.
I agree.
Also, either the resurrection of Mithra happened or it did not.
Either the resurrection of Orisis happened or it did not.
Either the resurrection of Gilgamish happened or it did not.

Is this enough common ground for a logical discussion?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#36178 Jul 31, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Non theistic macro evolution is BS.
Except I proved you wrong. Just like every other fundie you've avoided addressing it. Also you place limits on your god in the process.

Maybe there is a God. But it used evolution. Or God is a liar.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Scientific evidence for God is in creation. It is how the facts are interpretated.
False. Your "interpretation" is subjective and worthless.

Fossil with feathers and three middle ear bones? Goddidit.

No fossils with feathers and three middle ear bones? Goddidit.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You cannot or will not distinguish the difference between fairy tales and actual ancient accounts. On the one hand you write you have no contempt for the Bible and on the other you dismiss it as a book of fairy tales. No ''basic logic'' in that. Again, it all boils down to one event. The resurrection of Christ. It either happened or it did not.
So far there is no evidence other than claims made by Christians. Your "interpretation" is that the opinions of Christians are enough to dictate what reality is.

In fact that's all you've ever done.

Your opinions are still irrelevant.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#36179 Jul 31, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he created a mature Adam and Eve an all the plants and trees and animals were all created full grown.
It's looks lime that how God rolls.
Yeah. I used to believe in fairy tales too. Once upon a time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US to start talks with Cuba to normalize full d... 2 min John 48
Ruble crisis could shake Putin's grip on power 3 min THE EVIL WEST EMPIRE 50
Republican Leader: Keystone Pipeline to Top Sen... 4 min OMussolini Spud i... 30
US and Cuba move to normalize ties, open embassy 8 min Dan 77
Southern Californiaa s Cuban Americans give mix... 10 min Don 11
Not much chance of Congress stopping Cuba policy 11 min Don 18
Who is the worst president since WWII ? 13 min barefoot2626 1,085
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 42 min Agents of Corruption 293,282
Stars and others react to 'Interview' cancellation 1 hr see the light 9
Immigrants closer to driver's licenses in Arizona 1 hr see the light 8
More from around the web