The Battle of Midway at 70

Jun 4, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.weeklystandard.com

Victory at Sea

In the six months after its surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese Navy sailed from one victory to another, across the Pacific and into the Indian Ocean, until it seemed as though it was not merely unbeaten, but unbeatable. The Japanese conquered everything they attempted to conquer—including the Philippines and Singapore—and they defeated every fleet they encountered. Perhaps the most heavily symbolic of those early victories was the Battle of the Java Sea, in which a force of cruisers and destroyers fighting as part of something known as American-British-Dutch-Australian (ABDA) Command, was routed and its commander, Rear Admiral Karel Doorman, killed ...

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Jun 4, 2012

“bar0ckalypse N0W”

Since: Mar 10

Melville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

This was the greatest generation, but the guys we have serving now are even greater.

Back then, you were drafted if you didn't volunteer. Today, enlisting is frowned upon by many. A young cousin of mine recently returned from Iraq. When he enlisted several years ago, he was advised against it by every adult he knew. I only heard about it after, from my hysterical mother, but then told her that most vets regard their military service as the most memorable time of their lives and that he'll learn about life. I saw his father the other day at a familt BBQ. He now agrees that it was an excellent decision and has had a profoundly positive effect on this fine young man.

Ray Spruance sure did a number on Nagumo though. Pearl Harbor payback is a bi - tch.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Yes it was a Great generation,not that any Generation can be Great...but there were differences....Some mention the draft,but do not mention the Huge enlistments...For gotten was the USA was in depression.In those years America was One Nation...All United in the great struggle.FDR was Pres. for almost four terms....

Now after the Worst generation of the late 60s and the 70s ,Draft card burners,Age of Aquarius,Spitting on soldiers,Hating America,all done by the Kids of those who gave them that right to do so!.

We still have great Americans...Today only one Percent of the kids who enlist now have the burden to keep America going.

Never have so many, owed so much, to so few!

We were a different people then,no doubt about that.

The Grave yards world over have American Kids sleeping for ever there.

Some among us,today,have forgotten this,others do not want to remember this ,many still Hate America...

There was not one household in all America then ,that did not have an impact in winning that war...Their sons,daughters,Brothers,Father s,Aunts,Uncles..all served...

Weather on the far off hell holes ,or in the Defense plants...all Americans..One goal...and that was VICTORY,always VICTORY,Why not VICTORY?
There is no Substitute for VICTORY!

Lets hope the same conditions that sucked us into global conflict then,does not repeat it self!

Then it was Pearl Harbor,we have 9/11.then the response was instant and decisive,now its more measured...however the objective MUST be the same...VICTORY!

ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF WAR...PLATO!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••