Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 Full story: www.washingtonpost.com 38,673

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#38566 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said children are being forced to pray in the USA; no one can be forced to pray to
That's a lie as well.

Location hidden

#38567 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
The law in the USA simply prevents public school employees from supporting endorsing any and all religions as part of their duties to educate children. Check out that CC for ESL courses.
I'm not the one who is rolling around on the floor screaming that school children in the USA are being forced to pray, and then saying well, they aren't being forced... and forced to worship... and then taking that back and saying well... not really worship... well... that there are people in public schools that are religious but they aren't forcing anyone to listen... but... it happens all the time, thousands of times... though you can't find anything to back you up...

COUGH.

To review: UK has **A LAW** with compulsory collective worship, forcing child to pray*(*though of course, no one can be sure if they are being sincere when they are being forced to attend these daily prayers); the US has PROHIBITIONS for exactly this kind of compulsorily religious worship.

No one can be sure of your position, it changes with the wind.

Location hidden

#38568 Jun 18, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Just as theistic Satanists can be considered a subset of theists.
And the sun rises in the east, and the sun sets in the west...
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38569 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lie as well.
Moron. Both claims are demonstrably true:

1. I never said children are being forced to pray in the USA. Go ahead and find the post.

2. No one can be forced to pray. One can be 'forced' to say words, attend a sermon, sit through religious studies classes, etc. but it is literally impossible to force someone to actually pray, since actual prayer takes place silently in the mind.

Nice try.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38570 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who is rolling around on the floor screaming that school children in the USA are being forced to pray, and then saying well, they aren't being forced... and forced to worship... and then taking that back and saying well... not really worship... well... that there are people in public schools that are religious but they aren't forcing anyone to listen... but... it happens all the time, thousands of times... though you can't find anything to back you up...
I never said that children are being forced to pray. I said that you religious wingnuts are so obsessed with your beliefs that you stop at nothing to push your beliefs on children while they are in public school studying secular subjects. Everyone reading can see your lies.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<
To review: UK has **A LAW** with compulsory collective worship, forcing child to pray*(*though of course, no one can be sure if they are being sincere when they are being forced to attend these daily prayers); the US has PROHIBITIONS for exactly this kind of compulsorily religious worship.
Why are you arguing this point with me? THe UK argument was never mine and I have not commented on UK law ever. The only comment I made was that no one can be 'forced' to worship. You do know what worship is, right?
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38571 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, how it is in the news all the time... but you can't find it.
Show us where it is in the news TODAY.
We already covered the 'all the time' meaning so clearly I don't claim this happens literally every day.

How about this one from about two weeks ago:

http://ffrf.org/legal/challenges/ffrf-student...

Remember, SCOTUS has clearly ruled on this issue yet it does not stop you godbots from ignoring the law.

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#38572 Jun 18, 2012
I did some X last nite and i saw jesas talking to snoopy... wow i guess they are real.... lol i hung out next to a burning bush, but even high it never talked
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38573 Jun 18, 2012
Lililth_Satans_Wh_ore wrote:
I did some X last nite and i saw jesas talking to snoopy...
Infidel! How could you mistake the Great Pumpkin for jesus?
Lililth_Satans_Wh_ore wrote:
lol i hung out next to a burning bush, but even high it never talked
Playing with lighter fluid and matches is not advisable for cunning linguists.........

Location hidden

#38574 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
We already covered the 'all the time' meaning so clearly I don't claim this happens literally every day.
Yes, we covered that when you say "all the time" it means to you you may remember that it happened over some period of time since the 1960s and I reminded you that in English, happening all the time means that if you were telling the truth, you would have been able to report at least one case of it happening in the 100,000 public schools last week.

And that you could not do.

And then I remind you that collective worship happens EVERY DAY as required by law in the UK.

You do remember: we were comparing apples and apples.

Location hidden

#38575 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
I said that you religious wingnuts are so obsessed with your beliefs that you stop at nothing to push your beliefs on children while they are in public school
I as sure you will want to back up any occasion that I have pushed my religious beliefs on another person.

You might start with letting everyone know what my religious belief is- so far, according to the NotBots that frequent this forum, I am Jewish or Muslim, or Catholic or absolutely a Jehovah's Witness or a Christian Fundamentalist.

Hard to keep track, especially when some of the NotBots assert that I am members of two religions at the same time.

Oh, I guess I forgot: Satanist.

Location hidden

#38576 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
How about this one from about two weeks ago:
One complaint.

80 million students

100,000 public schools.

Happens all the time...

COUGH.

Meanwhile, in the UK: their law REQUIRES DAILY COLLECTIVE WORSHIP.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38577 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we covered that when you say "all the time" it means to you you may remember that it happened over some period of time since the 1960s
Actually you claimed that 'all the time' means frequently.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<if you were telling the truth, you would have been able to report at least one case of it happening in the 100,000 public schools last week.
Not at all. I clearly reminded you that the colloquial expression of 'all the time' was not a statistical claim. You are the delusional one.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<.
And that you could not do.
I chose not to. Whether I could or nor remains to be determined.
barefoot2626 wrote:
<.
And then I remind you that collective worship happens EVERY DAY as required by law in the UK.
No, collective meetings happen every day in the UK. Those that choose to use the time to worship do so. Those that choose to not worship, do not. Seriously, are you this daft?
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38578 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I as sure you...
English is preferred please...
barefoot2626 wrote:
<
You might start with letting everyone know what my religious belief is- so far, according to the NotBots that frequent this forum, I am Jewish or Muslim, or Catholic or absolutely a Jehovah's Witness or a Christian Fundamentalist.
Hard to keep track, especially when some of the NotBots assert that I am members of two religions at the same time.
Oh, I guess I forgot: Satanist.
If you are afraid to state your beliefs then you will have to live with the assumptions. Rather juvenile in my book.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#38580 Jun 18, 2012
The Council For National Policy - It Is TIME!- YouTube
Feb 22, 2011 ... The Council For National Policy. Please take the time to listen to this video and
research the links that I provide. The video was made and ...

- 174k -
The Council for National Policy By Barbara Aho
The Council for National Policy (CNP)... You might have to read through this
treatise a couple of times to fully absorb the amazing information revealed, but it's ...

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/councilfornati... - 129k -

Location hidden

#38581 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you claimed that 'all the time' means frequently.
And so far out of over 80 million students attending public school this year in the USA, you have found ONE case of one school reading a prayer in a public assembly.

One out of 80 million = not frequent.

Location hidden

#38582 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
Not at all. I clearly reminded you that the colloquial expression of 'all the time' was not a statistical claim. You are the delusional one.
And I said you were full of sh!t.

Another colloquial expression applied to person such as yourself who run their mouth but can't back it up.

Apples to apples: the UK requires DAILY collect worship from millions of its school students... and out of 80 million students here, you say it happens "frequently" and have come up with one case.

Location hidden

#38583 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<
No, collective meetings happen every day in the UK.
Collective worship is required by law.

What part of "required by law" is it that you don't understand?

Apples to apples: you ONE case of a student who objects (rightly) to this public prayer: he could just excuse himself from the prayer and stand in the hall, could he not?

And this is a once a year thing.

Location hidden

#38584 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
Those that choose to not worship, do not. Seriously, are you this daft?
So you have no problem with f undies requiring daily prayer as long as those who chose to not worship do not have to worship?

Dope: when I went to school, it was "required" except those who did not want to participate- after the parents went and and objected- had to put their heads down on the desk and ignore the public prayer.

And if you were part of the public prayer you had to close your eyes or you'd get smacked in the forehead with the blackboard pointer.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38586 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Collective worship is required by law.
Fallacy of equivocation. Par for the course.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38587 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And so far out of over 80 million students attending public school this year in the USA, you have found ONE case of one school reading a prayer in a public assembly..
No, there are many more. But, as I pointed out earlier, this is not a claim like 'my friend is a magical sky pixie'. All you need to do is google it. Why should I do that for you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 min dirtclod 132,555
After CIA torture report: rebuilding a culture ... 2 min woodtick57 73
Bill de Blasio does the unthinkable: he keeps h... 3 min tha Professor 8
Bill Would Let Michigan Doctors, EMTs Refuse To... 4 min Wondering 153
Obama: Racism, bias in US will take time to tackle 4 min barefoot2626 267
Obama's Amnesty Pushes Blacks Aside 4 min spocko 553
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min positronium 1,153,992
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 12 min woodtick57 293,685
2016 hopeful Ben Carson pledges support for Israel 30 min Your Ex 1
Sony hack renews cybersecurity push 1 hr Kid_Tomorrow 7