Study: Less religious states give less to charity

Aug 20, 2012 Full story: SavannahNow

A new study on the generosity of Americans suggests that states with the least religious residents are also the stingiest about giving money to charity.

Full Story

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#1 Aug 20, 2012
"But the generosity ranking changes when religion is taken out of the picture. People in the Northeast give the most, providing 1.4 percent of their discretionary income to secular charities, compared with those in the South, who give 0.9 percent."

http://philanthropy.com/article/FaithGiving/1...

So in reality, the people in the Northeast are generous to worthy causes.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#2 Aug 20, 2012
In "religious" states they count their church offerings as charitable donations.

Not the same thing.
black boy

Lexington, KY

#3 Aug 20, 2012
Gary wrote:
In "religious" states they count their church offerings as charitable donations.

Not the same thing.
In predominantly Christian areas the underage birthrate is significantly higher....

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#4 Aug 20, 2012
Is giving money to a church that you use really charity? isn't that like me giving to my local club that I use to keep it open and calling that charity?
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#5 Aug 21, 2012
6:17 pm, Tuesday, August 21, 2012:
RE: Study: Less religious states give less to charity
..... Interesting! Possibly the donors think that if they give to charities then God will help them more.
..... Maybe the taxation authorities of many countries have a lot to do with this, with their definitions of what is, and what is not, deductible from income lists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John McCain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McCain calls ouster of Egyptian president a 'coup' (Aug '13) 2 hr swedenforever 51
Rumsfeld Resigns as Defense Secretary Democrats... (Nov '06) 2 hr swedenforever 7
McCain appears ready for 2016 reelection bid 17 hr Taxpayer for years 2
Health Officials See Breach in Ebola Protocol a... Oct 18 barefoot2626 84
Graham praises Obama administration; trip to Eg... (Aug '13) Oct 15 Swedenforever 11
Bachmann Calls Bush's Bailout Decision an Act o... (Nov '11) Oct 14 Swedenforever 15
Who's to blame for the flood of kids at the bor... Oct 12 joey 120

John McCain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE