Missouri Sex Offender Laws: Need to be changed?

Jan 10, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KFVS12

“It doesn't keep you from getting in your car going outside premises. I don't understand why we had the law to begin with”

In some cases, current law can actually make it harder for you to keep tabs on sex offenders in your neighborhood. via KFVS12

Comments
81 - 100 of 109 Comments Last updated Mar 18, 2013
Same boat

Plattsburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Judged:

I can't believe how many times I've read my own story just on this page. I was 20 years old when a slutty teenager lied to me. I'm now 24 and on the list for life. It's making finding employment extremely difficult. I have a family to take care of and this labeling being thrown about all willy-nilly is making it virtually impossible. I had to go through the same counseling as repeat child predators. It was a complete outrage! When the court tried to contact the so-called "victim's" mother during court hearings, they heard nothing. Like she completely forgot she was about to ruin my life. I'm constantly reminded of the disgust I felt when I learned her true age. It's not fair to anyone in this situation that the other party is not punished for being dishonest. Again this is a total outrage!
Dolores

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

momoftwo wrote:
I think you are wrong once you committed a crime it should stay with you for the rest of your life. If it happened once it will eventually happen again. I think everyone that has committed a sexual crime should have the same thing happen to them that they did to the innocent person.<quoted text>
You are effectively saying that people cannot change. How would you like to be labeled for the worst thing you ever did for the rest of your life, even if it was just picking your nose? How would you think that would make you a better person? Or are you one of the many "perfect" people that don't make mistakes? If we should hold sex offenders on lists for life, then we should do that for EVERYONE--have lists for every human being on this planet-- I'm sure you've done some stupid or bad things in your life-- Are you that same person??? Did you not learn and change from your mistakes without being put on a list for all to victimize? Do you actually think vindictive punishment for life is helpful and safer for others? That doesn't even make sense!

Most people will make the same mistakes again if people will not allow them to change. Keeping sex offenders "sex offenders" does exactly that. Is that what you believe makes your neighborhood safer? You are sadly mistaken. You keep this problem growing by not giving a chance for improvement. If you tell someone long enough they are no good, based on a crime they committed in the past, you take away any chance of our society being safer.
two sides to every story

Imperial, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Wayne wrote:
You deserved to tracked for as long as the law allows. How about erring on the side of caution for children and not criminals.
in life we all have made poor choices.we have done things we can't take back children are are most inportent it is are job to teach them wrong from right.right.So why don't we teach them ways to love and forgive.if we keep banding and rejecting sex offenders.bye not giving them another chance in life we are teaching them what.we are saying forgiveness does not exest for them so now how and what they need to do to servive.what ever it takes.I beleave if you do something wrong you should be punished but not for the rest of there life.it is only going to lead to another crime. if we keep pointing out their mastics and punishing all of them they are most likley to reoffend it mite not be a sex crime it mite be a murder.Of someone we love.so please think about what we are doing to rebuild a person who had went to prison.help them rebuild there life so that they wont make another problem for some one els
mom of offender

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2011

Judged:

This comment is to "two sides to every story". When I had to go with my son to his probation officer she told me I had to admit that my son was guilty and the girl was innocent. I couldn't do that. The girl was 16 and knew full well what she was doing. I'm not talking about a little girl here and am not talking about a rape or a repeat offender. This is a good young man and girl that did not know what they was doing was breaking the law. It was not that my son was innocent, it was that both of them were guilty. It was a picture thing and now my son is labeled for life. I believe the punishment should fit the crime and also if the crime is not repeated over a certain length of time it should be dropped.
Burned1

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2011

Judged:

Jacquie wrote:
<quoted text>
Does placing more restrictions and hurting more children and families take the pain from the victim away? No...the victim still has the pain and has to live with it the rest of his/her life. So, does the offender. They may be out of prison; but they still have to live with what they did and how it has affected everyone around them for the rest of their life. Giving them a second-chance does not mean that they can walk away and not be

damaged by it. Where is restorative justice in this? God is in control and He forgives...why can't society?
Because society is a bunch of power hungry devils! If they mess up well they want forgiveness . They just can't give it!
Wendy

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

Offender on the list wrote:
I was convicted in 1996 for a sex offense I commited in 1993. My victim was 10. What I did was a terrible, disgusting thing. I make no excuses for what I did. During my time in prison, I spent a full year in the Missouri Sex Offender Program (MOSOP) during which I participated in regular group therapy sessions. By the time I was released I had learned some valuable tools to keep from reoffending. And from the time of my release until I was off parole I was required to attend relapse prevention therapy. I have worked hard to rebuild my life, to be a law abiding citizen, a productive member of society. I have since remarried and have a daughter. The thinking that lead to my offense is no longer a part of who I am. But my family continues to be punished for what I did 15 years ago. I am not a predator, I have no sexual urges toward children. I have had no incidents where there was even a hint of inappropriate conduct with a child. Why does society think that keeping track of me for the rest of my life will somehow protect children from me? I think lifetime registry for single offenses are ineffective. Yes, track offenders for a defined period of time. If there are legitimate concerns then extend that time. But if a person has obeyed all the laws and has had no accusations or complaints then they should be allowed, after a reasonable time, to get on with their life.
One thing that we really need are accurate statistics on sex crimes. Almost every report I have seen shows sex offenders have one of the lowest recidivism (reoffending) rates. Yes, it is an extremely high profile crime and it should be, especially against children. But let's educate people on how to protect their kids, not pass laws to give them a false sense of security!
Two more things: First, if you have read this far then I thank you for taking the time. Second, I have a daughter who was a victim of sexual abuse (by her step-father) so I have the unique perspective of seeing this from more than one side. But I hold to my views. Let's have laws that are effective and make sense. Don't let politicians and the fear they promote drive us to make poor decisions.
I know somone in the same kind of situation, has been on the list for 24yrs for being falsely accused of something he didn't do because the mother put her up to it because the mother and husband where fighting and that was her pay back to him and now he deals with this everyday of his life. I really think the Missouri Supreme Court should look and that list and take off the ones that are not repeat offenerds after 24yrs..
Wendy

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

I know someone that has been on the list for 24yrs and shouldn't have been on the list for being falsely accused of something he didn't do, it's amaizing how some parents influence there kids to do something that isn't right, this man did time for something he didn't do and is still doing time mentally everyday. I have known this man for a very long time and even had my kids and grandkids around him and I trust him with all my heart. I really think the Missouri Supreme Court should look and that list and take off the ones that are not repeat offenerds after 24yrs..
Thats my opinion..
tom

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

I think nation wide we have some messed up sex offender laws......Ok I know a guy who when he had a few drinks in him "mooned" some friends of his...Problem was a grade school bus full of kids seen it also and he got jailed for sex crime againt minors..........In our area there is a guy who did rape 3 kids and did same jail times as the guy I know and they have same rating in society for sex offense......HOW IS THAT EVEN CLOSE TO RIGHT????
momandwife

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Is there any people out there willing to come together and take a stand and fight for what is right? Most people who are ugly acting are people who have never experienced any thing terrible, they just talk. My family has been thru a terrible time the last 2 yrs! I am not going to go into details, but iy did involve touching at night time. The girls have forgiven, been thru counseling and want to move on. However, it seems like everytime we turn around there is something to remind us all of it. We did everything as a family, we were a close family, vacationing to over 24 different states, hunting & fishing. He has no criminal past at all. However, he has the same punishment as someone who has offended more than once. How is that fair? Why for sex offenders are they all thrown into the same barrel? If you murder, or physically abuse a child, the punishment is based on the crime, not a straight across the line punishment. Why don't those who physically abuse children have to go to a weekly counseling class? Why don't they have to stay away from all children a certain age & under? Their chances of re-offending are much more higher! There are ALOT of things that need to change. We have fun help in our local state representative & representative from a neighboring county. They DO listen, and they DO return calls with answers! Please contact your state Rep with your story & information. Families are not allowed to move on, which really makes things alot worse.
Imasexoffemder

Eureka, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2012

Judged:

I was convicted of statutory rape C felony 2nd degree. I'm a registered sex offender. I was 21 and she was 15. A child was born as a result of this . It has been 6 yrs since I committed this crime. I was givin a 4 yr sentence for this crime . I went to prison and I am off parole now. Like I said a child was a result of this . He is now five and I visit him and his mother when I can. I pay child support and give I give my victom extra money when I can but its hard some times because I loose out on jobs because potential employers look my name up and find out I'm a sex offender . It's bulshit that the law has created a obscene rule on my life that hinders me from doing the right thing... please take me off the registry so I can do what's right by my victom and our son. Since I'm still on parole for a non sexual crime I have to go to a group called mosop which costs 30$ a week plus pay probation and parole 40$ a month also I must take a lie detector test ever 6 months which costs 250$ and if I fail any question even the ones that are not sexually related I must take the test over again in 90 days. Point is I've paid the authorities more money than I do in child support to the girl I got pregnant which caused me to be in this mess. Where is the justice in that . I owe her and our son more than I owe the state .
MO Apocalypse

Lenexa, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2012

Drury Mo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am also a survivor but I went to counceling and don't have those good or bad days and have went on to a full productive live ...... and it makes me a stronger better person today, no one can take that away from me ever!!!
Good for you!
Some people have the idea that they are a victim for life, they dwell on the event over everything else.
Good and bad things happen to everybody, but like you people need to deal with it and move on.
I feel sorry for those who just can't move on and who dwell on just one moment of their life.

I don't feel that you are a survivor at all - you never became a victim - just a person that a bad thing happened too.
Justme8907

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2012

I'm a 23 yer old male a registered sex offender and in the process of serving a 5 year probationary stint I'm accused of statutory rape (consensual sex with a minor aged 16 and under) my victim was 16 I was 21. What I did was wrong consensual but wrong I turned myself in and plead guilty to my crime. What I did was terrible and no amount of sorry can change that. But the label sex offender and the lifelong punishment that it is accompanied by us fairly unjust. I've seen both sides of it I was with women 30+ at age 15. Sometimes their Is no mental or physical harm in a crime such as this where the victim 1. Initiated the sexual advances including the first kisses and foreplay. And 2 lied about the occurrences to court officials and police bc her family told her to. I believe some of these mistakes don't deserve a life long sentence after my 5 years is up I won't have a record due to an sis sentencing but will still b forced to register. I have a 7 month old son I can't even father. Im not allowed to b a parent bc it's a high risk situation as its called. It's destroyed my relationship with my now ex wife and won't allow me to even fight for custody. The laws are fairly unjust. While my "victim" is out living care free.....trust me I know a lot of the same people and she isn't bothered by what happens seeing as she had had sex with men older than me b4 hand........I am forced to b labeled a rapist and unfit to blend into society. These laws are fairly unjust and I think it's time we stand up and plead our case.
mark

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2012

poi
Dean

Liberty, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

I will totally agree with your story. I was also convicted back in 1994 and done time for it. I have been out since 1999 and have not been in any trouble far as sex since then. I did get a couple of DWI charges back in early 2002 and 2003 but went thru treatment for that also in patient and have been sober every since then. I do not look at children today like i did back in the days when i was offending. I do take precautions every day not to be around children alone or be in any parks or area's where alot of children are. I still even now go back to my old outside counseling group just to visit and stay updated on things and i been out of counseling since November of 2001. Anyways thanks for the story , i know what your going thru and i agree the public needs to be more informed on offenders, we are not monsters the media makes us out to be. We were very bad when we were offending still but those of us who are trying to rebuild our life now and have not reoffended should be allowed to move on and not have to be harrassed and jobless. My biggest issue has been finding work and keeping it, i have lost 2 jobs in the past year cause of someone finding out i was registered and then start crap with me which then results in me losing my job. I enjoy working and would like the chance to just fit in here in society once again.Thanks for the story !!!!
baffledOH

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2012

My husband was convicted of sexual misconduct in the 1st degree (a misdemeanor) 4 yrs ago, since then we have moved to Ohio, where they labeled the Adam Walsh Act unconstitutional for anyone who was convicted before it's inception in Jan 08' well my husband falls under that his conviction was in 07', he was told because of this he would only have to register as a sex offender once a year for 10 yrs vs the once a year for 15 yrs the AWA had in place because he was considered to be on the lowest tier. However, upon registration today, he was told he has been upgraded to a predator!!! This the Attorney General's office told us was because his conviction was in Missouri and in that state there is no expiration date your on the list for life, and the "predator status" was the only status that has to register for life here...every 90 days mind you...and our neighborhood now has to be notified.....they really need to make a uniform "national law" and they shouldn't be allowed to play with ppls lives like this! We moved here for work purposes and this is going to destroy everything we have been working so hard to accomplish! And before all you haters jump on me and say he deserves it...I have been a victim of rape and incest...so I am on both sides of the fence here..and what they are doing to him is violating his constitutional rights big time! without typing a book to give you the whole story in a nut shell the judge found him "guilty based on the victims demeanor on the stand" we had a public defender and as such stated he couldn't file for a new trial because it was a misdemeanor not a felony, and we didn't have the money for a better attorney. Innocent ppl are subjected to cruel and unusual punishment on a daily basis.
Sick of Stupid

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

If we elect Santorum, he will outlaw sex of every kind, then this will not be such a big deal.

If you take advantage of a child and force yourself on them sexually, you should pay dearly....forever.

Rehabilitated scum is still scum.
winterwolf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Judged:

How many druggies or theives or arsonist or other criminals live in our neighborhoods? Don't know. Well if you ask how many sex offenders live in our neighborhoods you can get an instant answer.
Dolores Owen

Lees Summit, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

momandwife wrote:
Is there any people out there willing to come together and take a stand and fight for what is right? Most people who are ugly acting are people who have never experienced any thing terrible, they just talk. My family has been thru a terrible time the last 2 yrs! I am not going to go into details, but iy did involve touching at night time. The girls have forgiven, been thru counseling and want to move on. However, it seems like everytime we turn around there is something to remind us all of it. We did everything as a family, we were a close family, vacationing to over 24 different states, hunting & fishing. He has no criminal past at all. However, he has the same punishment as someone who has offended more than once. Why don't they have to stay away from all children a certain age & under? Their chances of re-offending are much more higher! There are ALOT of things that need to change. We have fun help in our local state representative & representative from a neighboring county. They DO listen, and they DO return calls with answers! Please contact your state Rep with your story & information. Families are not allowed to move on, which really makes things alot worse.
I agree that their should be a tier system instead of straight across the board lists, but honestly, the registries should be abolished. They serve no purpose whatsoever. And I don't agree that a child molester has a higher probably of reoffending. Statistics show that about 95% to 97% on the list do not reoffend.
Dolores Owen

Lees Summit, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

Sick of Stupid wrote:
If we elect Santorum, he will outlaw sex of every kind, then this will not be such a big deal.
If you take advantage of a child and force yourself on them sexually, you should pay dearly....forever.
Rehabilitated scum is still scum.
Really? Are you serious? He will outlaw sex of every kind? Even lawful sex? You might find yourself on that registry if that's the case. But all joking aside, you or your children have a greater chance of landing on the registry than the do of being a victim of a sex offender.

And rehabilitated scum is not still scum--that's a contradiction of terms. I would rather have a rehabilitated person living next door than the people who insist on supporting these unconstitutional registries. In my experience, they've done more harm than the offender has done. Anyone who justifies their actions and anger towards offenders is to be feared.
Cathy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2012

I have a friend who plead guilty to one count of possessing child pornography. He served 5 years on probation and 5 years in intensive state therapy. I think he learned a lot in those 5 years. He realized that while he touched no one someone had to. He will spend the rest of his life branded for never touching any one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Christopher Bond Discussions

Search the Christopher Bond Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Letters to the editor: Treaty objections (Nov '10) Nov '10 Neuterd Gingrich 4
Christopher Bond Bridge Dedication Set for Monday (Sep '10) Sep '10 Ripped 4
Missouri Primary Election Day (Aug '10) Aug '10 Fallen 19
UAW may give up jobs bank to revive auto loans (Nov '08) Feb '10 KAR 909
One-on-One with Senator Kit Bond (Feb '10) Feb '10 A Proud American 1
Paul Krugman: Senate Republicansa farce imperil... (Feb '10) Feb '10 A Nnoyed 2
Meth Use on the Rise in Missouri (Feb '10) Feb '10 concerned in excelsior 7
•••
•••