Mitt Romney goes bold (and risky) with Paul Ryan vice presidential pick

Aug 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Washington Post

The news that Mitt Romney is expected to name Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan as his vice presidential nominee today in Norfolk, Virginia amounts to a decidedly bold stroke for the typical risk-averse GOP presidential candidate, a pick that will almost certainly turn the race into a choice between two competing - and strikingly contrasting - visions for ... (more)

Comments
461 - 480 of 2,267 Comments Last updated Dec 12, 2013
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#520 Aug 12, 2012
The Whiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Employed young people are beginning to scream. I'm a paramedic/fireman, work mostly with young people. When we receive our checks, we laugh.
About 85% of our public emergency ambulance calls are from Seniors. The average tab for a limo ride to the hospital is $700 ..
About 5% of our calls are from seniors who have fallen or require assistance. There is no charge for helping them, property taxes foot the gas/personnel cost.
Last, the senior emergency calls when nothing is wrong. Sometimes it's anxiety or fear. Like the 'fall' calls, they are free. One widowed lady calls us every week complaining of chest pain. We go, hold her hand and leave. No charge.
The family unit has evaporated and older people have nobody to turn to. It's a rather sad situation. Something must change.
Wow, 85 percent of your calls come from seniors. In the old days people's parents lived with them when they were old. In a way it is bad that the government started letting people go into rest homes for free because it became a way for people go get their parents estates and send their money before they even pass away and they don't have to take their parents in. People see it like "why should I pay for a rest home when I can take that money, travel, buy stuff, live it up and I can place my parent in a rest home on the government." That's how they look at it. The problem is billions and billions of dollars of expenses from Medicaid run up over time and someone has to pay for it.

It's the same thing with the entitlements. It encourages people to spend all of their money and not to save. And then the programs go bankrupt and now we have 80 baby boomers who spent all of their money dependent on bankrupt old aged government programs. I think Ron Paul has the right idea to go Libertarian and end all of the government programs that give people money because then people just vote for whoever will give them the money and it makes people dependent. That's what happened in Greece and Spain too.
And so it goes

Gering, NE

#521 Aug 12, 2012
Wall Street Government wrote:
He drove the weiner mobile that makes him "extra" qaulified.
Oscar Mayer at that.
Quite the resume.
That is so lame. After Ryan's father died when he was in HS he took a job with Oscar Mayer to help with family expenses. Ryan has since gone to college and has 14 years of public office experience.
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#522 Aug 12, 2012
Veep Pick Paul Ryan Is No Conservative

Ryan's voting record shows a robust support of big-spending programs to enlarge the role of the federal government, especially when they are promoted by a Republican in the White House. Ryan voted for all of the big-ticket, budget-busting items of the administration of President George W. Bush, including the No Child Left Behind Act and the prescription drug benefit known as Medicare Part D, often described as the largest expansion of the welfare state since Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. Ryan voted to create the new Department of Homeland Security, including the Transportation Security Administration that has harassed air travelers, while making aircraft safe from shoes, belt buckles and grandma's knitting needles. He voted for the PATRIOT Act, giving government enhanced powers for warrantless snooping into the lives of American citizens as well as foreign nationals. Ryan voted for the Troubled Assets Relief Program that bailed out the "too big to fail" financial institutions and inspired the Tea Party rebellion against big government and "crony capitalism." He backed the auto bailout that turned GM into "Government Motors."

And while conservatives generally like to leave wars and military spending off the list of costly "big government" programs, Ryan's record on that front is also troubling. Like Romney, Ryan has no foreign policy credentials and no record of military service to point to in the election campaign. And like Romney, Ryan swallowed whole the Bush-Cheney line on Iraq and supported the decision to invade and occupy that country in a needless war that cost more than 4,000 American and hundreds of thousands Iraqi lives and has added roughly a trillion dollars to our soaring national debt. Ryan's budget calls for no reduction in military spending, despite the continued presence of U.S. troops in some 130 countries around the world, most of which have no bearing on our own national security.

Even more troubling is Ryan's vote last December in favor of the National Defense Authorization Act. The legislation included a provision authorizing the President to use the military to arrest suspected terrorists, including American citizens apprehended in the United States, and hold them indefinitely, without charges and without trial, in clear violation of due process rights guaranteed by the Constitution. This year Ryan voted against an amendment to remove that provision from the law.

READ More:

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/ite...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/06/bilderb...

“No Answers, Only Questions”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#523 Aug 12, 2012
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, 85 percent of your calls come from seniors. In the old days people's parents lived with them when they were old. In a way it is bad that the government started letting people go into rest homes for free because it became a way for people go get their parents estates and send their money before they even pass away and they don't have to take their parents in. People see it like "why should I pay for a rest home when I can take that money, travel, buy stuff, live it up and I can place my parent in a rest home on the government." That's how they look at it. The problem is billions and billions of dollars of expenses from Medicaid run up over time and someone has to pay for it.
It's the same thing with the entitlements. It encourages people to spend all of their money and not to save. And then the programs go bankrupt and now we have 80 baby boomers who spent all of their money dependent on bankrupt old aged government programs. I think Ron Paul has the right idea to go Libertarian and end all of the government programs that give people money because then people just vote for whoever will give them the money and it makes people dependent. That's what happened in Greece and Spain too.
Most of our crew has a great deal of empathy for seniors. They've been abandoned by their family and live alone in fear. Medicare, not Medicaid, usually foots the bill.

After numerous non-existent emergencies, we contact Social Services to intervene. In the majority of cases, the family places the senior in a nursing home.

If Medicare is drastically reduced, emergency services will suffer including fire response time/action. The federal government pays for ambulance services when, in many instances,(I'd say about 50%), a car ride to a hospital ER room would suffice.

It's a complicated financial picture.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#525 Aug 12, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
<quoted text>
That is so lame. After Ryan's father died when he was in HS he took a job with Oscar Mayer to help with family expenses. Ryan has since gone to college and has 14 years of public office experience.

He didn't take that job to help with family expenses.

Ryan worked as a marketing consultant for his family's construction business before being elected to Congress.
The company -- Ryan Incorporated Central -- began as an earth-moving business created by his great-grandfather in 1884.

Hence, his birth was a difficult delivery, the doctor had to twist and turn as not to damage the "silver spoon" in his butt.

How did he pay for college?

Student loans guaranteed by the government and social security money he received from his fathers benefits.

"I gots mine".

F.......everyone else.
nobama

Palm Desert, CA

#526 Aug 12, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
fk off, birthrr
Hey dem, are you black? and ignorant? and 6 years old?
That would explain it..
yesterdays News

Ravenna, OH

#527 Aug 12, 2012
BlondePrince wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think Romney would have done better picking someone from FL or NY and a female? Hillary is likely going to be the one this guy debates yet Biden is extremely experienced. I'm not Democrat or Republican and do not believe Romney to be dumb but I honestly think he made a big mistake because this man is from WI, a State not important this Election.
Keep in mind, minorities combine are the majority and they will not like this guy and they are registered to vote so what was going through the mind of Romney?
Maybe I am missing something here and if so, let me know why Ryan is such a great choice over someone from FL or NY or a smart female.
Liberalism is a mental illness and Hillary is a liberal and that is enough to keep her off any ballot.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#528 Aug 12, 2012
The Whiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of our crew has a great deal of empathy for seniors. They've been abandoned by their family and live alone in fear. Medicare, not Medicaid, usually foots the bill.
After numerous non-existent emergencies, we contact Social Services to intervene. In the majority of cases, the family places the senior in a nursing home.
If Medicare is drastically reduced, emergency services will suffer including fire response time/action. The federal government pays for ambulance services when, in many instances,(I'd say about 50%), a car ride to a hospital ER room would suffice.
It's a complicated financial picture.
Their families are going to have to take them in. The country is broke all the way around, from the federal government to the states. We have so many people on welfare now, we will soon have 80 million baby boomers on SS and Medicare, and there's already 60 million people on SS and Medicare. And also some of those retirees will be drawing the big state and local pensions. There isn't going to be anyone to pay for any of it.
Ex-GOP Con

San Jose, CA

#529 Aug 12, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more math to do. You are an idiot like most Obama supporters. How do you sleep knowing you are helping destroy America?
I sleep VERY well at night knowing that McCain and Palin wasn't in control of the ship.

Thank GOD Obama steered us out of recession and avoided another Great Depression!

You are the idiot considering you would have (and probably did) vote for Palin. Btw, she called. She wants you to send her another check.
Brownstain

Downey, CA

#530 Aug 12, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget that he tripled the deficit, and unemployment is at 8.3%, he added millions to welfare, and the poverty level is at its highest in 50 years. Please tell us more of his great accomplishments.
Come on dip you have to give our president four more years. He's not done yet
JBH

Richmond, Canada

#531 Aug 12, 2012
Bain is not equal to Bane. Beam is not equal to bean. Bain is equal to beam while Bane is equal to bean.

Bain is just like Beam, as Romney having partnered with Bain, making to be the beam of sunshine of new light of guiding path for the freedom people.

Romney is the rising super-fellow, like the super force similar to legends of Superman , Dirty Harry and Batman, to save the troubling USA people from the horrible Obama's destruction.

Obama is like having brain cells made of bean, acting out his dark force like Bane.

While Obama acted out his wishes (in advance) attending a basketball game, looked like a retired shameful person by seeking shelter around the ordinary people. He has shame to look at people straight in the eyes because of all the troubles he had caused to all people -- that is what he wants to do after election, to be hiding the shame watching a basketball game --yet he still has time to do his kissing wife in order to soothe his shame--And that will be his wishes , for that is what he wants to do some time after the election.

Romney and Ryan will be riding high, getting tough and tougher and toughening up.
The super force from Romney and Ryan, can be really great like Superman, Batman and Dirty Harry as the the glorious lights of new Beam for you people--hence, just elect the guiding lights of new direction beam for yourselves --Romney & Ryan 2012.

Obama and Biden, having brains cells made like from bean, and are evil and bad like Bane, will learn their lessons.

“Liberals hate free speech!”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#532 Aug 12, 2012
Ex-GOP Con wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF? You Republican RINOs are whining about President Obama's debt YET you STILL haven't paid down the trillions in Bush's GOP debt??????
PAY YOUR OWN DEBT before you go casting stones at other people's. Let those who voted President Obama worry about his debt. You take care of you own glass house first.
Debt has beed a problem from day ONE of this Republic. In modern history, the last 80+ years, this has been an issue we have been facing. The Debt/GPD ratio has stayed in check, until now! Clinton was smart enough to come to the center, Obama has stepped on the gas for spending with no attempt to slow it down, AT ALL! He continues to print money.... AND THAT IS A PROBLEM!! Plus he wants to demonize the same people that create jobs in this country.... ANOTHER PROBLEM!

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#533 Aug 12, 2012
And so it goes wrote:
<quoted text>
He's also a confirmed hypocrite....
. He's already collected Social Security. After Ryanís father passed away, he saved Social Security survivorís benefits to pay for attending Miami University, where Ryan double majored in economics and political science in 1992... HYPOCRISY....It's in the teabaggers DNA.
u know ur a redneck when!

Barnesville, OH

#534 Aug 12, 2012
Buffalo Bill wrote:
Democrats have short memories.....
Let's have a little quiz....
What year did the economy tank...
Bonus points if you can tell me who was president at the time
2006-Bush! But there was signs of economic pull back in 2004. John McCain tried to get the Republican Congress to address fears of a housing market crash to investigate fanny and Freddie Mac then. The government didn't do anything because many millionaire's would make lots of money off the recession it would bring and foreclosure market. Banks double up on the money they made off of home loans. The arm loan the banks got there money off the top of the loan. Then made money by foreclosing on the home. The banks had too much money to make to work with anyone wanting to keep their homes. Wall street bankers that knew of the upcoming housing crash made billions off the stock market. You have to think rich and be like a gangster to make it in this world. Good poor folk get hurt every time. I hope the ones that profit from all of this are very happy with the marriages and lives and families destroyed by these shady ways of building wealth. This is just as bad as drugs or gambling or alcohol. It all destroyed lives. Then they want to take health care, food stamps, social security and Medicare from the poor and middle class to make it so no taxes will be paid on investment income also known as capital gains. Also to lower the income tax rate on millionaire's and Billionaire's by 10%. Let's kick the poor some more after taken there homes and crash there 401k to bits and pieces. I hope poor people redo there w2's after the earn income credit is taken away from them. To where our elected officials don't get a year long tax free loan and they crash the economy. That earn income credit makes up a lot of the GDP, food stamps and social security both make up a lot of GDP. Rich people do not spend money! You will bankrupt America with your greed. Using food for gas. Such as corn. Is starving people around the world. Food shortage is major business right now but no one cares if it is not hurting a majority of Americans. If it kills people in 3rd world countries it is no big deal. Ugh, we have to get right!
Bjo

Stockholm, Sweden

#535 Aug 12, 2012
they will get both 15%.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#536 Aug 12, 2012
I want to hear from Biden.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#538 Aug 12, 2012
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
Debt has beed a problem from day ONE of this Republic. In modern history, the last 80+ years, this has been an issue we have been facing. The Debt/GPD ratio has stayed in check, until now! Clinton was smart enough to come to the center, Obama has stepped on the gas for spending with no attempt to slow it down, AT ALL! He continues to print money.... AND THAT IS A PROBLEM!! Plus he wants to demonize the same people that create jobs in this country.... ANOTHER PROBLEM!
Demonize the people who create jobs in "THIS" country?

The only people creating jobs in "this" country are American consumers.

The only people I can tell are "demonizing" them are teabaggers.
MorrowRosanna

Alexandria, Egypt

#539 Aug 12, 2012
like Donald explained I am dazzled that any one can profit $4269 in four weeks on the internet. did you see this web link http://goo.gl/UUZFR
Buffalo Bill

Buffalo, NY

#540 Aug 12, 2012
Retired sof...
It sounds like you have a basic understanding of economy.
However...
Debt to GDP had remained in check untill the bush cuts lowered the tax to GDP ratio to 16.5 percent.
The supposed direct link between tax cuts and prosperity is thin, yes you can tax too much and stall an economy, see the top and corporate taxes under carter...
Would you or anyone else comment on the idea of a direct link between lower taxes and prosperity
Always Right

Henderson, NV

#541 Aug 12, 2012
NO doubt in my mind. I am voting FOR Romney/Ryan. Screw obama and his anti-American ways. Friggin black muslim chicago lawyer POS.
biden is an IDIOT too.
Their you go America. Someone worth voting for.
Not no two faced lying POS obama. Good riddens and hope you and your crooked black panther friend holder go to jail and do NOT pass go.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,100,092
Thousands of Abu Ghraib photos set for release 6 min Lawrence Wolf 22
Support for U.S. overseas involvement jumps, po... 10 min Marine Corp Pat 13
Hillary's Got a Millennial Problem 18 min WelbyMD 4
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 22 min WelbyMD 11,697
Paul hits Clinton's 'shoot first' Syria policy 1 hr Gary 10
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 1 hr BOHICA 41
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••