Health industry is generous to Blue Dogs

Jul 31, 2009 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.msnbc.msn.com

Blue Dogs, key brokers in shaping health bills, see surge in contributions

On June 19, Rep. Mike Ross of Arkansas made clear that he and a group of other conservative Democrats known as the Blue Dogs were increasingly unhappy with the direction that health-care legislation was taking in the House. .

Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Populist

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Conservative Democrats should join the Republican party because they work for Wall Street and not main street.

Visualizing The Health Care Lobbyist Complex
07.22.09 / http://tinyurl.com/l3j8vj
Health care reform is a major piece of this year's legislative program. In total, five committees will have held hearings on the issue and marked up a bill to reform the health care system in the United States. One of those committees stands out as the key arbiter on the many sticking points of the proposed legislation, the Senate Finance Committee.
The Finance Committee contains a high volume of lawmakers with close ties to the health and insurance industries through both campaign contributions and personal relationships. The visualizations below highlight these influences by mapping former staffers of Finance Committee members who have since become lobbyists for health and insurance interests and showing the number of contributions given to the committee members from these industries.
http://www.sunlightfoundation.com/projects/20...

==========

Report: Health Industry Employing Hundreds of Ex-Gov. Officials
July 06, 2009 / http://tinyurl.com/nyx3t6
Here in the United States, the Washington Post is reporting the nation’s heath care industry has hired more than 350 former government officials and members of Congress to sway health care reform efforts on Capital Hill. According to lobbying records, three out of every four major health care companies have at least one former government insider on the payroll. Nearly half held positions under key committees and lawmakers including Senators Max Baucus and Charles Grassley. Bacaus is chair of the Senate Finance Committee which is largely steering health care reform efforts. Baucus’s aides recently held a meeting with a group of lobbyists that included two of his former chiefs of staff. The Washington Post says the health care industry is now spending $1.4 million dollars a day on lobbying, totaling $126 million dollars in the first fiscal quarter.
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/6/headline...

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 31, 2009
 
The United States government should not be in any business, period.
Populist

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Key health care senators have industry ties
06/12/2009 / http://tinyurl.com/krb3j2
WASHINGTON -- Influential senators working to overhaul the nation's health care system have investments and family ties with some of the biggest names in the industry. The wife of Sen. Chris Dodd, the lawmaker in charge of writing the Senate's bill, sits on the boards of four health care companies.
Members of both parties have industry connections, including Democrats Jay Rockefeller and Tom Harkin, in addition to Dodd, and Republicans Tom Coburn, Judd Gregg, John Kyl and Orrin Hatch, financial reports showed Friday..
Jackie Clegg Dodd, wife of the Connecticut Democrat, is on the boards of Javelin Pharmaceuticals Inc., Cardiome Pharma Corp., Brookdale Senior Living and Pear Tree Pharmaceuticals.
Dodd is filling in for ailing Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which will soon start work on a health care bill. http://www.connpost.com/ci_12579507...

==========

Top Senate Democrat: bankers "own" the U.S. Congress /
April 30, 2009 / http://tinyurl.com/c4cbkc
Sen. Dick Durbin, on a local Chicago radio station this week, blurted out an obvious truth about Congress that, despite being blindingly obvious, is rarely spoken: "And the banks -- hard to believe in a time when we're facing a banking crisis that many of the banks created -- are still the most powerful lobby on Capitol Hill. And they frankly own the place." The blunt acknowledgment that the same banks that caused the financial crisis "own" the U.S. Congress -- according to one of that institution's most powerful members -- demonstrates just how extreme this institutional corruption is.

The ownership of the federal government by banks and other large corporations is effectuated in literally countless ways, none more effective than the endless and increasingly sleazy overlap between government and corporate officials. Here is just one random item this week announcing a couple of standard personnel moves:

Former Barney Frank staffer now top Goldman Sachs lobbyist
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/0...
Stella

Zanesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 31, 2009
 
Isn't the health insurance industry one of the largest if not the largest political lobby in Congress? Obviously with the high COST OF HEALTH INSURANCE PREMIUMS they charge, insurance companies have the MONEY to buy votes and keep Americans from getting the Health care we need. When the health insurance premiums are so costly to consumers that health insurance companies pay tens of millions of dollars to CEOs and contribute tens of thousands of dollars$$$$ to members of Congress to vote against Health Care Reform, it's time to vote those members of Congress out and time for Americans to take the President's fight to get health care reform very seriously. Health Care is not about insurance companies making more and more money, it's about providing for the health of the people of the United States-- we don't need these greedy Health Insurance Conglomerates who only care about the money. Republicans and Blue Dog Dems need to get out of the way of health care Reform for Americans. These greedy insurance companies won't pay for so many sick people as it is and the premiums will continue to go up and up and services down and down-- we need a strong public option health care program so profiteering in the health insurance industry will stop. By the way, caring for the health of Americans deserves a better term than that of "a business"-- this is profiteering on the backs of sick people and that's immoral.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

give it up, bill ...
no matter HOW you spin it, or, who you smear, the health care fiasco isn't gonna play with the people ... we hate it!
IF it does get crammed down our throats, you'd better believe, there's gonna be a WHOLE LOT of representatives looking for jobs in december 2010!!!
TASKMASTER

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 31, 2009
 
The Liberal loons in Congress are building up a "BLAME" campagine,..that is, any one who disagrees with them.....they accuse others,for the very things they do!...Pelosi is besides her self!....This with a full majority in Congress,the Senate,the Whitehouse!!....and they are pointing fingers???....what a bunch of HYPOCRITES!!

In the Senate Reid is now blaming the media for their problems!..This Media??? This Media in the tank for Obama??...man they are getting desperate.

Like a drowning person they are struggling,and will drown with others trying to help them!!

Obama's numbers are sinking!!

ITS THE JOBS STUPID!!
Phil

Zanesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Populist wrote:
Key health care senators have industry ties
06/12/2009 / http://tinyurl.com/krb3j2
WASHINGTON -- Influential senators working to overhaul the nation's health care system have investments and family ties with some of the biggest names in the industry. The wife of Sen. Chris Dodd, the lawmaker in charge of writing the Senate's bill, sits on the boards of four health care companies.
Members of both parties have industry connections, including Democrats Jay Rockefeller and Tom Harkin, in addition to Dodd, and Republicans Tom Coburn, Judd Gregg, John Kyl and Orrin Hatch, financial reports showed Friday..
Jackie Clegg Dodd, wife of the Connecticut Democrat, is on the boards of Javelin Pharmaceuticals Inc., Cardiome Pharma Corp., Brookdale Senior Living and Pear Tree Pharmaceuticals.
Dodd is filling in for ailing Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which will soon start work on a health care bill. http://www.connpost.com/ci_12579507...
==========
Top Senate Democrat: bankers "own" the U.S. Congress /
April 30, 2009 / http://tinyurl.com/c4cbkc
Sen. Dick Durbin, on a local Chicago radio station this week, blurted out an obvious truth about Congress that, despite being blindingly obvious, is rarely spoken: "And the banks -- hard to believe in a time when we're facing a banking crisis that many of the banks created -- are still the most powerful lobby on Capitol Hill. And they frankly own the place." The blunt acknowledgment that the same banks that caused the financial crisis "own" the U.S. Congress -- according to one of that institution's most powerful members -- demonstrates just how extreme this institutional corruption is.
The ownership of the federal government by banks and other large corporations is effectuated in literally countless ways, none more effective than the endless and increasingly sleazy overlap between government and corporate officials. Here is just one random item this week announcing a couple of standard personnel moves:
Former Barney Frank staffer now top Goldman Sachs lobbyist
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/0...
my friend told me to read this thread. Thank you for your information and I hope the Democrats don't commit political suicide by voting against STRONG reform in healthcare. If this issue takes some Democrats down it will be their own fault- individually. I can see why Republicans don't want to vote for healthcare reform, it's not in Republicans' interest to do so-- they don't care about the people, just big business' money. If we had a Republican president and a majority Republican Congress, healthcare reform would never have been a topic in the beginning.
Marilyn

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 31, 2009
 
LookingToEscape wrote:
The United States government should not be in any business, period.
Then they shouldn't pass laws forcing us to buy insurance for our cars etc.

The government is in business alright.... to help business instead of people.
Marilyn

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 31, 2009
 
carey529 wrote:
give it up, bill ...
no matter HOW you spin it, or, who you smear, the health care fiasco isn't gonna play with the people ... we hate it!
IF it does get crammed down our throats, you'd better believe, there's gonna be a WHOLE LOT of representatives looking for jobs in december 2010!!!
Not all of us. Some of intend to vote out the ones who oppose this bill instead.
crazy ox3thong

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 31, 2009
 
carey529 wrote:
give it up, bill ...
no matter HOW you spin it, or, who you smear, the health care fiasco isn't gonna play with the people ... we hate it!
IF it does get crammed down our throats, you'd better believe, there's gonna be a WHOLE LOT of representatives looking for jobs in december 2010!!!
Wall/Mart street Mall one stop shoppy :-0

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>Then they shouldn't pass laws forcing us to buy insurance for our cars etc.
The government is in business alright.... to help business instead of people.
The government should not be in the business of insuring automobiles.
.
Work a little harder at trying to understand my point, not just knee jerk react to it.
.
I'd rather leave myself open to the possibility of choices instead of a one size fits all plan designed by Henry Waxman and Nancy Pelosi.
.
Maybe those 2 score high marks in California but going by the news, who in their right mind would trust any politicain that hails from that state these days?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

carey529 wrote:
give it up, bill ...
no matter HOW you spin it, or, who you smear, the health care fiasco isn't gonna play with the people ... we hate it!
IF it does get crammed down our throats, you'd better believe, there's gonna be a WHOLE LOT of representatives looking for jobs in december 2010!!!
As if your extremist lying neo-conservative ideas had some bearing on the will of 'the people.'

Americans want better health care, they want fairness. They do not want what the right-wing press is campaigning against; but that straw man is not on the Democrat's agenda.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Phil wrote:
<quoted text> my friend told me to read this thread. Thank you for your information and I hope the Democrats don't commit political suicide by voting against STRONG reform in healthcare. If this issue takes some Democrats down it will be their own fault- individually. I can see why Republicans don't want to vote for healthcare reform, it's not in Republicans' interest to do so-- they don't care about the people, just big business' money. If we had a Republican president and a majority Republican Congress, healthcare reform would never have been a topic in the beginning.
Big money- the health insurance cartal has a lot to loose if health, rather han profit, is the chief goal ofour new health system.

BIG BONUSES COULD BE LOST !

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Phil wrote:
<quoted text> my friend told me to read this thread. Thank you for your information and I hope the Democrats don't commit political suicide by voting against STRONG reform in healthcare. If this issue takes some Democrats down it will be their own fault- individually. I can see why Republicans don't want to vote for healthcare reform, it's not in Republicans' interest to do so-- they don't care about the people, just big business' money. If we had a Republican president and a majority Republican Congress, healthcare reform would never have been a topic in the beginning.
And insurance 'come-along' money is being hosed over theDemocrats and the Republicans. That is the point of this story.
Populist

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Phil wrote:
<quoted text> my friend told me to read this thread. Thank you for your information and I hope the Democrats don't commit political suicide by voting against STRONG reform in healthcare. If this issue takes some Democrats down it will be their own fault- individually. I can see why Republicans don't want to vote for healthcare reform, it's not in Republicans' interest to do so-- they don't care about the people, just big business' money. If we had a Republican president and a majority Republican Congress, healthcare reform would never have been a topic in the beginning.
Very true Republicans only care about money 'BUT' so do Democrats.

Obama turned NINE Bush Red States Blue because even the Rednecks realized Bush Republicans do not represent them.

The sad truth is the Democrats do not represent "We The People' either.

==========

Americans need a viable third and forth party who will represent “We The People” instead of the wealthy few who own Congress!

Progressive Democrats / http://pdamerica.org/

Green Party / http://gp.org/index.php

Ralph Nader / http://www.votenader.org/

Ron Paul / http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Libertarian Party / http://www.lp.org/

==========

Bush Republicans are not conservative and Clinton Democrats are not liberal!

They all work for Wall Street and K-Street not Main Street!

Ron Paul Authentic Conservative
http://tinyurl.com/3ldue3
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Ralph Nader Authentic Liberal
http://tinyurl.com/2powf
http://www.votenader.org

Oil & Gas: Money to Congress
http://tinyurl.com/67oymj
http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/summary...
Populist

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Phil wrote:
<quoted text> my friend told me to read this thread. Thank you for your information and I hope the Democrats don't commit political suicide by voting against STRONG reform in healthcare. If this issue takes some Democrats down it will be their own fault- individually. I can see why Republicans don't want to vote for healthcare reform, it's not in Republicans' interest to do so-- they don't care about the people, just big business' money. If we had a Republican president and a majority Republican Congress, healthcare reform would never have been a topic in the beginning.
Noam Chomsky on the Global Economic Crisis, Healthcare, US Foreign Policy and Resistance to American Empire / Obama is not liberal
Part II of our conversation with MIT professor and author Noam Chomsky on the global economic crisis, healthcare, the media, US foreign policy, the expanding wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan, resistance to American empire, and more.
“As far as policy is concerned, unless [Obama] is under a lot of pressure from activist sectors, he’s not going to go beyond what he’s presented himself as in actual policy statements or cabinet choices and so on: a centrist Democrat [who’s] going to basically continue Bush’s polices, maybe in a more modulated way,” says Chomsky.
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/4/13/noam_ch...
crazy ox3thong

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 31, 2009
 
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Big money- the health insurance cartal has a lot to loose if health, rather han profit, is the chief goal ofour new health system.
BIG BONUSES COULD BE LOST !
bill_mr.? dogs vs. cats ? you vs. yoRia ?

:-0 can u2 get a long ?:) don't make war just make love O ke :)))))))))
Marilyn

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
The government should not be in the business of insuring automobiles.
.
Work a little harder at trying to understand my point, not just knee jerk react to it.
.
I'd rather leave myself open to the possibility of choices instead of a one size fits all plan designed by Henry Waxman and Nancy Pelosi.
.
Maybe those 2 score high marks in California but going by the news, who in their right mind would trust any politicain that hails from that state these days?
I understood your point...you see the government getting involved in this issue as 'socialism'....yet you don't see the governm,ent bailing out businesses over and over (ie airlines) as socialism...or paying farmers to not farm fields as socialism..or giving tax breaks to business as socialism...

You probably oppose any regulation of business too, monoploy and price setting.....people NEED health care...insurance companies maximize their profits, collect premiums then do all they can to limit care......HMO were supposed to be a solution and they did all the things they claim the government will do...limiting access to doctors and procedures while still charging higher premiums.....and insuring only the healthy...

I understood your point....I just don't agree with it.
Barbara

White Horse Beach, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 31, 2009
 
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>Then they shouldn't pass laws forcing us to buy insurance for our cars etc.
The government is in business alright.... to help business instead of people.
You'd be singing another tune if an uninsured person with no assets crashed into and caused a lot of damage to both you & your vehicle.
Barbara

White Horse Beach, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 31, 2009
 
Sorry, Marilyn. It appears I misunderstood your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Ross Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tomatogate: Pryor goes all in Aug 6 Julie Donnelly 1
Hutchinson vows to fight EPA on clean air rules Aug 5 SpaceBlues 1
In pivotal Arkansas races, Democrats turn to 'B... Jun '14 Hahahaha 10
Voter ID law takes hold: Dozens of absentees un... (Jan '14) Apr '14 guest 362
Don't call Mark Pryor the 'Blanche Lincoln of 2... Apr '14 conservative crapola 5
Upset: Republican wins surprise blowout in Arka... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Rupert B Jigglebo... 5
Amended complaint filed in challenge of Arkansa... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Rick in Kansas 34
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Mike Ross People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••