Congress, President Obama set for battle over 1,700-mile oil pipeline

Jan 2, 2012 Full story: Alabama Live 1,380

President Barack Obama and Congress are starting the election year locked in a tussle over a proposed 1,700-mile oil pipeline from Canada to Texas that will force the White House to make a politically risky choice between two key Democratic constituencies.

Full Story
First Prev
of 69
Next Last
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#1 Jan 2, 2012
Obama will cave like he has on everything else. Obama has maintianed the irresponsible Bush tax cuts that have created no jobs and haven't made a dent in the Iraq fiasco debt. Now Nebraska doesn't even want the pipeline and no one cares about State rights. We are having a wedding:

BIG OIL marries BIG UNIONS.

ALL LOBBYISTS INVITED. Be sure to bring your SPOUSE in CONGRESS.

Mittens is more to the left than Obama. Where's the CHANGE... Bush, Obama, Mittens... SPENDING, MORE SPENDING, MORE SPENDING.

RON PAUL 2012!

“Obama tells the right to...”

Since: Jun 07

shhhh... STFU, you lost...

#2 Jan 2, 2012
President Obama has made some very tough decisions over the past few years, so I donít expect things to get any easier through 2012 and into his second termÖ

With that said, this will be difficult politically as he is pulled between two of his base of supporters.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#3 Jan 2, 2012
I fear, this pipeline to be a future segment on 60 Minutes, about all the GOP congressmen, that made millions, on the land they bought, that just happened to be in the path of the proposed pipeline......nothing like republican intuition.....
America is Not the Same

Pompano Beach, FL

#4 Jan 2, 2012
Paul has accepted MONEY from BIG OIL and Wall Street.

Paul will be forced to drop out by June a Fact.

Paul was diagnosed with a mental health condition a year ago. On reason why his speaks and act so radical
Walking out of interviews, flip flop on issues, his radical position on the safety of America an miss quoting the Constitution.
He will be allowed play the game till June.
He is expecte dto retire from Politics by the end of the year when he is 79

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Jan 2, 2012
I predict Obama will cave on the pipeline. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that important. We've already got millions of miles of pipelines crisscrossing America; what's another 1700 miles. Not worth the political capital it would take to stop it.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#6 Jan 2, 2012
putting the temporary brakes on this until the proper research can be done regarding the environmental impact is valid.
Lance Winslow

Oakland, CA

#7 Jan 2, 2012
The US is now a net exporter of oil on a dollar basis. Chevron and exxon reported $& billion earnings. The pipeline means huge profits to oil interests while Americans pay higher prices because profits are greater from overseas sales.
radiofreeamerica

Holiday, FL

#8 Jan 2, 2012
We*ll see if obama is stupid enough to piss off his union support in an election year.I think he is.Hes traped ideologically to the left and he cant get out.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#9 Jan 2, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I predict Obama will cave on the pipeline. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that important. We've already got millions of miles of pipelines crisscrossing America; what's another 1700 miles. Not worth the political capital it would take to stop it.
Plus, we've never seen, the republican house pass anything........

Since: Dec 07

Porter, TX

#10 Jan 2, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> Plus, we've never seen, the republican house pass anything........
LMAO, a full demorat congress house/senate couldn't pass a fkn budget since 2006. However, they did pass a back door dealing nobamacare which cost them the 2010 election. Brilliant!

You're as funny as a candlelight tour of a dynamite factory.

Since: Dec 07

Porter, TX

#11 Jan 2, 2012
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
President Obama has made some very tough decisions over the past few years, so I donít expect things to get any easier through 2012 and into his second termÖ
With that said, this will be difficult politically as he is pulled between two of his base of supporters.
Oh yeah, real tough decisions.

Shovel ready--failed
Cash for clunkers--failed
When to play golf and eat lobster--many successes
Get OBL---had to think about it for 16 hours after the CIA informed him they knew his whereabouts. Of course, you said in many posts the nobama found him. Twin jokes, both of you.

“Liberals hate free speech!”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#12 Jan 2, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I predict Obama will cave on the pipeline. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that important. We've already got millions of miles of pipelines crisscrossing America; what's another 1700 miles. Not worth the political capital it would take to stop it.
If he is smart ,he will. We need the jobs and the oil. This crap with Iran is about to come to a head.

“Election over; back to work!”

Since: Feb 07

Tampa, FL

#13 Jan 2, 2012
All the EPA work is done. It has been done since the middle of last year. The Project has met all Federal, State and local ordinances. They even re routed the pipeline, adding millions to the cost to keep it out of certain areas.

He won't pull the trigger because if he does it's a win for business and he can't have that til after NOV12. He's playing politics at the expense of the American people who need the jobs.
anneutral wrote:
putting the temporary brakes on this until the proper research can be done regarding the environmental impact is valid.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Jan 2, 2012
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
If he is smart ,he will. We need the jobs and the oil. This crap with Iran is about to come to a head.
This has nothing to do with Iran or oil or jobs or the environment. It's 100% pure politics.

Iran threatens the same crap every decade or so. They can't afford to block oil coming through the straits because that would prevent their own oil from getting out. And since Iran doesn't have enough refineries they have to import over 1/3 of their gasoline back into the country. They would cripple their own economy more than they would harm us or anyone else.

The pipeline doesn't have to be built. We can still import all the oil from Canada we want or need without it. If it was about jobs, the just as many people if not more could be hired to fix the current millions of miles of existing leaking pipelines.

In the end it's just not worth expending the political capital to stop it. It's not like we don't already have millions of miles of pipelines spilling oil; what's 1700 miles more.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#15 Jan 2, 2012
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO, a full demorat congress house/senate couldn't pass a fkn budget since 2006. However, they did pass a back door dealing nobamacare which cost them the 2010 election. Brilliant!
You're as funny as a candlelight tour of a dynamite factory.
LOL You mean ROMNEYCARE!

RON PAUL 2012!
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#16 Jan 2, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
This has nothing to do with Iran or oil or jobs or the environment. It's 100% pure politics.
Iran threatens the same crap every decade or so. They can't afford to block oil coming through the straits because that would prevent their own oil from getting out. And since Iran doesn't have enough refineries they have to import over 1/3 of their gasoline back into the country. They would cripple their own economy more than they would harm us or anyone else.
The pipeline doesn't have to be built. We can still import all the oil from Canada we want or need without it. If it was about jobs, the just as many people if not more could be hired to fix the current millions of miles of existing leaking pipelines.
In the end it's just not worth expending the political capital to stop it. It's not like we don't already have millions of miles of pipelines spilling oil; what's 1700 miles more.
And politics is all about kickbacks.
Gravediggers

United States

#17 Jan 2, 2012
Is it okay to give Billion$ to Brazil to drill for oil? That's what Obama did.

The pipeline won't cost Americans anything. It will employ thousands and thousands of people.

And the UNIONS want the pipeline.

Amazing how the 'media' ignores, slants the news to favor the democrats and Obama.

Out with Obama in 2012. Let's not allow him to nominate and thereby swing the Supreme Court to a liberal stance.

NO to ANY democrat in 2012. Reclaim the Senate.

Too many are already saying that Obama will win by a narrow margin in 2012.(Even the White House doobs)

Let's make sure that doesn't happen.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 Jan 2, 2012
Eron wrote:
All the EPA work is done. It has been done since the middle of last year. The Project has met all Federal, State and local ordinances. They even re routed the pipeline, adding millions to the cost to keep it out of certain areas.
He won't pull the trigger because if he does it's a win for business and he can't have that til after NOV12. He's playing politics at the expense of the American people who need the jobs.
<quoted text>
To keep things in perspective, the pipeline would carry less than 5% of the US oil cosumption and only provde 2500-5000 temporary jobs.

Since: Dec 07

Porter, TX

#19 Jan 2, 2012
Makes sense wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL You mean ROMNEYCARE!
RON PAUL 2012!
Ron Paul 2012--withdraw all forces back to US, leave a power vacuum to be filled by China, Russia, Iran and Venenzuala.

Fkn brilliant

Ron Paul to the old folks home, 2012.

Since: Dec 07

Porter, TX

#20 Jan 2, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
To keep things in perspective, the pipeline would carry less than 5% of the US oil cosumption and only provde 2500-5000 temporary jobs.
That's strange, economic experts say it will create 20,000 to 30,000 jobs. You're a little off your figures as usual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 69
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Boehner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama vows "relentless" fight against ISIS 2 hr xxxrayted 263
Boehner: Immigration Reform Will Help Economy Sep 21 Guess Who 18
Cuts to food stamps will only hit 4 states Sep 18 cost of israel 2
Cuts to food stamps will only hit 4 states Sep 18 John 3 14 5
Conservatives to Boehner: What's your agenda? (Jan '14) Sep 17 positronium 23
How a Republican Stays Afloat in a Hispanic-Maj... Sep 16 gulf 3
Expanding ISIS Fight Scrambles GOP Plan To Exte... Sep 13 Too smart for Dem... 3
•••

John Boehner People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••