Suit alleges misuse of Los Angeles VA facility

Jun 10, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Los Angeles Times

The Department of Veterans Affairs has misused large portions of its campus on L.A.'s Westside and has failed to provide adequate housing and treatment for homeless veterans, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by veterans advocates and lawyers.

Comments
1 - 20 of 85 Comments Last updated Jun 23, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Sad Day for our Vets

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 10, 2011
 
What an embarassment to the VA. Didn't the VA's Office of Inspector General do anything about this? I thought they had offices at the Westwood, CA campus. The OIG is right there on the same campus and failed to investigate this issue. What an embarassment to the VA. The OIG's are sleeping on the job. Then again, their losers who couldn't make it into a real law enforcement job and ended up as a glorified VA investigator....hahaha! lol!
VA Employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 10, 2011
 
The VA's OIG office is useless. As an employee I've reported fraud, waste, and abuse to the OIG but they never investigate serious issues (they're too afraid and too uneducated to look into real matters). They are too busy investigating employees who connect iPod's to their computer over issues like this article. They should be investigating the VBA's poor management system, the VHA's nurses who abuse Vet's, and why it takes years to get a benefits claim processed when it takes 10 minutes to do the job.
Police State

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The VA is being looted and funds being diverted.

Follow the maney trail.
Police State

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

^^^money^^^
Retired VBA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 10, 2011
 
Yes, I totally agree with the above. The situation in Los Angeles is horrible. Employees are afraid to file complaints for fear of retaliation from management. The OIG is just another one of them. They are not there for employees. They claim complaints are confidential when they really turn around and tell your managers about your complaint.
Retired VBA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 10, 2011
 
Apparently the "money" trail has gone missing...lol. They can't explain where the money went (probably to bonuses for VA managers..haha). Maybe even the OIG profitted from some of the revenue from the land leases. We know that none of that money went back to the homeless Vets.
VA Employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 10, 2011
 
We had an experienced 12 year DRO walk up and leave the job due to the mess in Los Angeles. He just got up and left. Many years ago the Los Angeles VBA had hired a bunch of UCLA students under the student intern plan (roughtly about 12 of them) to work no claims processing. These were students who were medical majors or related to biology. One day all of these students (all together) got up, said they quit, and left the office all at once. It was quite an interesting site to see.
VA Employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 10, 2011
 
My earlier comment...correction I meant "to work ON claims processing."
Stimulus Funds

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 10, 2011
 
What happened to all those stimulus funds that went to the VA? The ARRA employees were supposed to assist and expedite claims processing times. I read on another post that the ARRA employees were poorly trained (they weren't allowed to work on anything important, but simply pulled filed and put them on other people's desks all day). I wouldn't want to do that kind of job. Plus what a waste of money when you could have them processing claims.
Current RVSR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 10, 2011
 
Listen, you think the Los Angeles VA managers care about claims processing? All they care about is how big their bonus checks are going to be this quarter. We are poorly trained and have voiced our concerns to management (they don't care). We work on an assembly line and pass the file along just to get it to the next guy in line and take the credit for doing so. If we deny a claim, it helps us earn our points faster with less work.
Retired VBA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If you break down the number the VA's OIG office is such a waste of money. These guys are paid like GS-13's and above making $100,000/year to do nothing. The VA should just allow an outside neutral non-biased agency to conduct the work of the OIG (would be cheaper too).
Vets4Life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 10, 2011
 
Reading all the above comments. I have sent numerous letters to the VBA's director with no results. Last I checked they had 4 or 5 different directors come and go in the last year alone in Los Angeles. The old director, Kerry Witty, was a non-Vet and the person in charge of benefits Michelle Kwok (not sure on spelling) is also a non-Vet. I don't think their intentions towards Vet's were any good. I don't know if they are still working there, but with no disrespect, it appears that the situation in Los Angeles is terrible for the Vets.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 11, 2011
 
Retired VBA wrote:
Yes, I totally agree with the above. The situation in Los Angeles is horrible. Employees are afraid to file complaints for fear of retaliation from management. The OIG is just another one of them. They are not there for employees. They claim complaints are confidential when they really turn around and tell your managers about your complaint.
As a VA hospital employee, I know this is true because I have seen it numerous times. The system is corrupt and the little guy working there has to worry about keeping his job.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 11, 2011
 
VA Employee wrote:
The VA's OIG office is useless. As an employee I've reported fraud, waste, and abuse to the OIG but they never investigate serious issues (they're too afraid and too uneducated to look into real matters). They are too busy investigating employees who connect iPod's to their computer over issues like this article. They should be investigating the VBA's poor management system, the VHA's nurses who abuse Vet's, and why it takes years to get a benefits claim processed when it takes 10 minutes to do the job.
Absolutely the truth. I have personally seen corruption with management, the union (when there was one to complain to), and I know of an FBI investigation that was called for 3 times but got swept under the carpet 2x because the hospital director had connections. The third FBI investigation broke a case where money was stolen from patient funds and one employee got house arrest.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 11, 2011
 
Vets4Life wrote:
Reading all the above comments. I have sent numerous letters to the VBA's director with no results. Last I checked they had 4 or 5 different directors come and go in the last year alone in Los Angeles. The old director, Kerry Witty, was a non-Vet and the person in charge of benefits Michelle Kwok (not sure on spelling) is also a non-Vet. I don't think their intentions towards Vet's were any good. I don't know if they are still working there, but with no disrespect, it appears that the situation in Los Angeles is terrible for the Vets.
The hospital I worked at went through 4 hospital directors in 5 years after and FBI investigation exposed money being taken from patient funds and it took 3 FBI investigations to break this case because it was covered up so tight.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 11, 2011
 
Report this to your local newspaper and see what they can find out. We had a reporter that dogged the VA until he eventually got something to report and he exposed corruption from the top down. Upper management covers their tracks WELL, so dedicate yourselves to finding corruption and reporting it to anyone who will listen. Eventually something will give but it is better to do this as a group with FACTS that cannot be denied. I dedicate the corruption exposed at my facility to one man who started the ball rolling and would not stop until something was reported. He is now dead and little is known about him except his memory, but what a memory!
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 12, 2011
 
Read this story...this is horrible!!!

VA centers haven't resolved questions
Lines of accountability get crossed
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 12, 2011
 
VA centers haven't resolved questions

Full story: Fairview Observer
I am trying to copy this link.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 12, 2011
 
http://www.topix.com/life/veterans/2011/06/va...
I am still trying to copy the link location. The story is horrible. In Tennessee, colonoscopy equipment STILL is not cleaned and there is more...
Homeless Vet

Springville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 12, 2011
 
Retired VBA wrote:
Apparently the "money" trail has gone missing...lol. They can't explain where the money went (probably to bonuses for VA managers..haha). Maybe even the OIG profitted from some of the revenue from the land leases. We know that none of that money went back to the homeless Vets.
We never got a dime.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••