Gillibrand to Get Hearings on Don"t Ask-Don' t Tell Repeal

Jul 27, 2009 | Posted by: Paulathesurfmom | Full story: lezgetreal.com

After deciding last week there was not sufficient support in the Senate for her amendment to the 2010 Defense funding bill that would have put an 18 month moratorium on “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) will now be getting a hearing on the issue from the Armed Services Committee this fall.

It will be the first time in 16 years that the committee has held hearings on Don’t Ask-Don’t Tell, the policy which bars openly gay and lesbian members from serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.

In a press release from her office this morning Gillibrand said, “This policy is wrong for our national security and wrong for the moral foundation upon which our country was founded.”

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

I hope congress repeals this unconstitutional law.

You can thank Bill "THE B-A-S-T-A-R-D" Clinton for signing this disgrace.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

And the sweet angel George W. Bush did what, exactly, to improve the situation?
You've launched sleazy attacks and gutter politics at any Democrat, you've all the credibility of Rush Limbaugh on the topic. Yeah, Clinton was wrong on this one issue. Name a president who was never wrong on anything. He remains one of the better presidents we've ever had, and victim of more hate and lies and cheap attacks than any president in our history. Want a bastard? How about the bastard who lied us into a war that's killed thousands?

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

OkieDarren wrote:
You've launched sleazy attacks and gutter politics at any Democrat, you've all the credibility of Rush Limbaugh on the topic. Yeah, Clinton was wrong on this one issue. Name a president who was never wrong on anything. He remains one of the better presidents we've ever had, and victim of more hate and lies and cheap attacks than any president in our history. Want a bastard? How about the bastard who lied us into a war that's killed thousands?
Clinton was a criminal by his OWN ADMISSION. He was IMPECHED because of it.

He signed this obviously unconstitutional and immoral law.

WHY do you constantly defend him ?

“Haters Need 2 Shut the F-K Up!”

Since: Aug 07

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
Are you sure you're not the same PJR who trolls around The Advocate news site?

“Haters Need 2 Shut the F-K Up!”

Since: Aug 07

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

OkieDarren wrote:
Well, didn't we have to punish Iraq for all that fluffy yellow cake uranium they had? And for that leader SH who tried to assassinate George W Bush's DADDY?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

Oh goody, hearings. Wow, at this rate they may actually repeal DADT sometime in the next century.

Hearings? Seriously? What a load of crap. Trust me, I'll be voting "NO" when in comes time for the "hearings" on whether or not you can keep YOUR jobs (2010, 2012, 2014, etc).

No incumbent gets my vote until these idiotic laws are repealed (dadt, doma) and until equal rights laws are passed (hate crimes, enda, etc). I've had it with all the lying by politicians running for office, so I'm just voting them all out of every office every year until things change.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

SouthJerseySteve wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure you're not the same PJR who trolls around The Advocate news site?
I read the magazine and subscribed to it for many years. I have never been to that site.

PEACE !

:)

“religion is corrupt-able”

Since: Jul 07

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
Clinton was a criminal by his OWN ADMISSION. He was IMPECHED because of it.
He signed this obviously unconstitutional and immoral law.
WHY do you constantly defend him ?
Impeched? or impeached? He may have been impeached but he was not convicted which I personally feel bears more levity in the situation. As for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", President Clinton admits that it was a mistake. It amy seem of little comfort but I can tell you that the military would have reacted negatively to flat out allowance of homosexuals to serve openly in that time. You forget that back then we weren't viewed favorably... the Sodamy laws were still on the books and in some states gay sex was still considered illegal. "DADT", however ill concieved as it may seem, was a smart compromise. It is out dated now. It is why I volontarily separated. But you know what... damned if it did not make my life easier when I first started in the service. When I enlisted I didn't have to spread my cheeks for a doctor like my brother did years early (supposedly to look for hemeroids but actually to look for evidence of sexual activity) and nobody was able to ask about my sexuality even though I displayed some flamboyant qualities. I'm sure it hasn't been good for everyone but I'm willing to bet that for every case where "DADT" went wrong, there is another case where it actually served to protect.

Now, I'm not justifying "DADT"'s existence now... as mentioned, it is outdated. The US has an altered perception of homosexuals. The sodamy laws are no longer valid. Some states allow gay marriage. There are some states that have employment protections in place as well. Still... it is no shocker that the military is years behind the rest of the US. It has always been a slow learner. Constitutionality really bears little importance on military law as it is quite the seperate entity. That is something every fresh recruit is informed of the instant they step off the bus and start boot camp... they have a new constituiton... a new code of conduct... and trust me when I say some of them are waaaaay out dated (some laughably so)

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

This individual may well be "Moore" disturbed than "David" from Pekin.

Praiz Jeebus!
Mother Teresa

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
This individual may well be "Moore" disturbed than "David" from Pekin.
Praiz Jeebus!
Everything I said is true.

Do you disagree ?

“Homosapien ”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

You idiot! Bill Clinton lost a lot of political capital for trying to end the ban on gays in the military, may even have cost us health care. He put his presidency on the line for us. Yes he backed down after much political pressure and the "Don't ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) policy was made, prior to DADT it was an outright ban.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

mixed wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiot! Bill Clinton lost a lot of political capital for trying to end the ban on gays in the military, may even have cost us health care. He put his presidency on the line for us. Yes he backed down after much political pressure and the "Don't ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) policy was made, prior to DADT it was an outright ban.
UNTRUE in ALL respects.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

btw, when THE B-A-S-T-A-R-D was elected, didn't he have a DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS that was swept into office with him ??? It was the DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS that wrote DADT. Remember DEMOCRATIC Senator Sam Nunn ???

The DEMOCRATS did this !

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2009

Judged:

It's wonderful that retarded individuals can have access to the internet in this country.

Praiz!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Carolyn Maloney Discussions

Search the Carolyn Maloney Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bloomingburg housing development foes ask Rep. ... Apr 3 CTM 10
College credit cards on spot (Jul '08) Mar 26 Hermia 3
Congress to Look at Credit Card Interest Hikes (Mar '08) Mar 26 Laetitia 2
Foul Play: War on women is real (Apr '12) Sep '13 Austin 2
Maloney Reminds 9/11 First Responders of Upcomi... (Sep '13) Sep '13 alan 1
IRS scandal could alter rules (Jun '13) Jun '13 tha Professor 100
HUNDREDS SAY TO NYC's MOST NOTORIOUS JUDGE LAUR... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mary Bennett 1
•••
•••
•••
•••