Riots erupt in N.Ireland after Protestant marches

Jul 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Baltimore Sun

Police fired plastic bullets and water cannon at Catholic youths in Northern Ireland's provincial capital Belfast on Tuesday after rioting erupted when a Protestant parade passed their estate.

Comments
1 - 20 of 881 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2013
First Prev
of 45
Next Last
Brayhan Dommage

Nuneaton, UK

#1 Jul 14, 2011
" we are now approaching Belfast - please set your watches back 3 centuries"
cybershewolf

UK

#2 Jul 7, 2012
Frankly I think it's insane to allow an Orange Parade happen in Newry considering it's a Republican enclave.
allymac

Tipton, UK

#3 Jul 7, 2012
cybershewolf wrote:
Frankly I think it's insane to allow an Orange Parade happen in Newry considering it's a Republican enclave.
Screw you.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4 Jul 7, 2012
cybershewolf wrote:
yes why should a loyal subject of the Queen have a right to the freedom of expression in their own country? its a disgrace!
CSMD

London, UK

#5 Jul 8, 2012
The majority of those who get offended by Orange Parades, will go out of their way to get offended. You will often see scum from other areas, sometimes from up to 40 miles away in the crowds getting offended and directing youths to attack Police.

Im a catholic by the way and i say it as i see it.
jason norris

Ramsgate, UK

#7 Jul 8, 2012
CSMD wrote:
The majority of those who get offended by Orange Parades, will go out of their way to get offended. You will often see scum from other areas, sometimes from up to 40 miles away in the crowds getting offended and directing youths to attack Police.
100% correct.
Not true

Belfast, UK

#8 Jul 13, 2012
People don't go out of their way to be offended.

I have protestant mum and catholic father. I have seen boths sides and personally i'm an athiest.

I hate the 12th. Everything shuts down so that one side can march around trying to cause as much offence as possible.
They go out of their way to provoke the others side by burning religious icons (which they don't seem to grasp are shared by both christian faiths)
They burn flags, effigies of Irish people and politicians etc. Anything to get the backs up on the other side, it's digusting.

The whole thing is a disgrace. Would it really be so much to ask that both sides just shut the f*ck up and let the majority of normal, rational minded people go about with their normal lives in peace.

Who gives a f*ck what happened, were all sharing the same sh*t-hole now, lets make the most of it.
big c

Caerphilly, UK

#9 Jul 13, 2012
people dont go out of their acutually u fool prods go out of their way to march in an area that they are not from

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#10 Jul 13, 2012
big c wrote:
people dont go out of their acutually u fool prods go out of their way to march in an area that they are not from
you clearly dont know what your on about they are marching home there just passing through so shut your mouth ya inbred wee shite

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#13 Jul 13, 2012
The leader of the Orange Order wants this circus to be allowed to march through Dublin?

Could be good for comic value I suppose.....
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14 Jul 13, 2012
Not true wrote:
People don't go out of their way to be offended.
I have protestant mum and catholic father. I have seen boths sides and personally i'm an athiest.
I hate the 12th. Everything shuts down so that one side can march around trying to cause as much offence as possible.
They go out of their way to provoke the others side by burning religious icons (which they don't seem to grasp are shared by both christian faiths)
They burn flags, effigies of Irish people and politicians etc. Anything to get the backs up on the other side, it's digusting.
The whole thing is a disgrace. Would it really be so much to ask that both sides just shut the f*ck up and let the majority of normal, rational minded people go about with their normal lives in peace.
Who gives a f*ck what happened, were all sharing the same sh*t-hole now, lets make the most of it.
Interesting. Constructive too. I don't think everyone realises it's not just a quiet, pleasant parade through the streets,(at least in NI). Here in Scotland it isn't so bad and people are losing interest (finally!)

Still, there are marching bands and it has a negative image with a few sectarian-minded people. There's no mention of this year's marches on their website..
http://www.orangeorderscotland.com/news.html

But there seems to be a march in Stirling..
http://www.stirlingobserver.co.uk/2012/07/04/...

I don't know why these silly traditions persist.(It's a bit like watching a sort of British-Irish Taliban:-) The two tribes seem to share a common mentality irrelevant to the great majority of us.

I've seen the Orangemen march in one local town. A rather pathetic affair of a couple of bands followed by a few dozen people. The mass of the town ignored it and found it (if anything) a bit of a nuisance. The music wasn't stiring because of the sectarian connotations and the feeling it was in the way, rather than celebratory.

The religious aspect is funny. One humanist once asked a Glaswegian drinker if he would put 'none' when it came to the religious question on the census. He said, "No! I'm a PROTESTANT atheist!"
An Orange atheist perhaps?:-)
Revo

Leyton, UK

#15 Jul 13, 2012
God loves the orange men.
CSMD

London, UK

#16 Jul 13, 2012
"Concerned Residents" number a few, those shipped in to make up numbers and to protest at the marches are the ones who go out of their way to get offended.

One of the scumbags arrested last year or the year before had actually came the whole way from Ballymena to Belfast to get OFFENDED!
jason norris

Woodford Green, UK

#17 Jul 13, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
The leader of the Orange Order wants this circus to be allowed to march through Dublin?
Could be good for comic value I suppose.....
Democracy, and they have not yet fired a bullet.
jason norris

Woodford Green, UK

#18 Jul 13, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting. Constructive too. I don't think everyone realises it's not just a quiet, pleasant parade through the streets,(at least in NI). Here in Scotland it isn't so bad and people are losing interest (finally!)
Still, there are marching bands and it has a negative image with a few sectarian-minded people. There's no mention of this year's marches on their website..
http://www.orangeorderscotland.com/news.html
But there seems to be a march in Stirling..
http://www.stirlingobserver.co.uk/2012/07/04/...
I don't know why these silly traditions persist.(It's a bit like watching a sort of British-Irish Taliban:-) The two tribes seem to share a common mentality irrelevant to the great majority of us.
I've seen the Orangemen march in one local town. A rather pathetic affair of a couple of bands followed by a few dozen people. The mass of the town ignored it and found it (if anything) a bit of a nuisance. The music wasn't stiring because of the sectarian connotations and the feeling it was in the way, rather than celebratory.
The religious aspect is funny. One humanist once asked a Glaswegian drinker if he would put 'none' when it came to the religious question on the census. He said, "No! I'm a PROTESTANT atheist!"
An Orange atheist perhaps?:-)
OK, we all join your nihilist dream. Limp wrists, poofs and bananas. You sad colourless cretin.

Dublin

#19 Jul 13, 2012
jason norris wrote:
<quoted text>
Democracy, and they have not yet fired a bullet.
????????
not true

Belfast, UK

#20 Jul 13, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland...

"A loyalist band has been filmed stopping to play loyalist tunes outside a Catholic church in north Belfast.

They played for 15 to 20 minutes and at one point were dancing outside it while drums were being played.

At the end of one of the videos, the person recording it is confronted and threatened by members of another band.

At one point the band was playing the music of "the famine song", an anti-Catholic song which originated in Glasgow."

Just proves my earlier point. Going out of their way to provoke people. They know they shouldn't be doing it, they threaten anyone trying to film it.

Location hidden

#21 Jul 13, 2012
CSMD wrote:

Absolutely, harking back to last years riots at Ardoyne. Rioters were interviewed and it soon became evident that most were not local, you do have to let it get to you. For most it's an great excuse (not that one is needed!) to get a holiday in. Or in my case have a party and sleek thought the whistles and drums!

Since: Jun 12

Brewster, NY

#22 Jul 13, 2012
Are British Islanders Africans?

The only people who riot like British Islanders are Africans LOL

In the U.S White people don't riot usually just Africans.

In the U.K it is all riot Africans with different skin colors.
The voice of reason

London, UK

#23 Jul 14, 2012
I predict that over the coming decade, peaceful republicans will be successful in preventing the marchers passing through their communities. This will lead to non confrontational marches in loyalist areas only. Tourism will flourish in these areas as thousands flock to see the non violent spectacle. Loyalist communities will reap the rewards associated with this whilst the republican communities can only look on in regret of a missed opportunity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 45
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

March, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jimmy Savile: How were allegations not noticed? (Oct '12) Aug 2 in the know 67
Torture methods 'authorised' in NI Jun '14 Oliver Cromwell 8
What's going on in Scotland? May '14 Damn right 81
Glitter and Be Gay... in the U.K. Apr '14 Evilgelicals R Me... 3
Fundora Opening on Sunday, March 16 Mar '14 Doc Proper 1
Deal could allow gays in Boston St. Pat's parade (Mar '14) Mar '14 snyper 8
From the Antarctic to Disneyland Paris the worl... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Peter 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••