Southern states fight estimates of sea level rise

Aug 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News Observer

Most scientists agree the hills where the Wright brothers first took flight along the Outer Banks of North Carolina will someday be under water.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Bill Price

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

Judged:

NC Sea Level Rise Science Study Law
Thank you Governor Perdue for allowing the Sea Level Rise Scientific Study Bill to become law.
This prevents an un-elected Commission from imposing Planning Rules for a hypothetical 39" SLR / 2100 on many local down east farmers, fishermen, retired folks, and workers of all sorts that have owned, tended , and paid taxes on land for generations, many of whom would have lost significant property rights.
Under our US Bill Of Rights, that very well could be considered a " taking", and the State could be liable to compensate tens of thousands of property owners. This is not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars lost in Tax Base to local government, and additional mega millions necessary to relocate and rebuild many schools, libraries, hospitals, public buildings and infrastructure ,,, based on Theoretical SLR. In some cases, entire counties such as Hyde and Pamlico, would become theoretically uninhabitable based on theoretical SLR.
Although NOAA has said there is No Signal of acceleration of SLR to date, certainly, if Sea Level Rise is going to accelerate, we need to know it and plan for it. Even though many folks have mischaracterized H 819 as Anti Science, just the reverse is true. In fact , and unfortunately, the Science Panel has declined to answer several simple questions about their report, and has declined to participate in an Open Public Forum to clarify their findings. Surprizingly, one Science Panel member wrote an article urging the General Assembly accept their report because it was cheap and fast, rather than to seek an Accurate Report.
The Legislature passed a law saying that they would like to have a Verifiable Scientific Report before an un-elected commission starts passing rules that would take taxpaying citizenís property rights.
Thank you again Governor Perdue.

Bill Price Pine Knoll Shores
Web Surfer

Reston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2012

Interesting, I have just seen the article on another website, and the same "Bill Price" an identical comment there. Don't take these comments at face value.

Below, a few users have replied. One, telling that the NOAA report does not say what Bill Price claims and a second revealed the affiliation of the poster:
"Bill Price is a member of NC-20 and owns a development company on the coast. Any additional regulations will hurt developers bottom line. Its easy to see by looking at the list of members of NC-20 that this anti-SLR PR campaign is a thinly veiled attempt to fight additional building regulations. NC-20 will tell you over and over that there is a huge list of scientists who don't believe accelerated SLR will happen and that preparing for it will destroy the economy, raise your property taxes and insurance. What they don't tell you is that those decisions are completely unrelated to the state's policies on SLR. Insurance companies DO NOT take state or local policies into account when deciding flood insurance rates. Surprisingly, they consider actual scientific research and trends. How do we save money by not preparing for SLR? Anyone who owns property on the coast knows that you always prepare for the worst. When a hurricane is coming do you put tin foil over your windows and "hope" that will be enough or do you screw plywood over every window? It makes no sense to me and others why NC-20 wants to force people not to prepare. We live on the coast and we've seen what hurricanes and floods can do. SLR is something that we can slowly prepare for over time. Why not prepare for the worst?"

I am going to go to a third site, to see if he left an identical comment there...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2012

Judged:

Hiya, Web Surfer, do you have any idea why Fat Al Gore bought an ocean view property in Montecito if sea level rise is accelerating?
Jason

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Bill Price wrote:
NC Sea Level Rise Science Study Law
Thank you Governor Perdue for allowing the Sea Level Rise Scientific Study Bill to become law.
This prevents an un-elected Commission from imposing Planning Rules for a hypothetical 39" SLR / 2100 on many local down east farmers, fishermen, retired folks, and workers of all sorts that have owned, tended , and paid taxes on land for generations, many of whom would have lost significant property rights.
Under our US Bill Of Rights, that very well could be considered a " taking", and the State could be liable to compensate tens of thousands of property owners. This is not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars lost in Tax Base to local government, and additional mega millions necessary to relocate and rebuild many schools, libraries, hospitals, public buildings and infrastructure ,,, based on Theoretical SLR. In some cases, entire counties such as Hyde and Pamlico, would become theoretically uninhabitable based on theoretical SLR.
Although NOAA has said there is No Signal of acceleration of SLR to date, certainly, if Sea Level Rise is going to accelerate, we need to know it and plan for it. Even though many folks have mischaracterized H 819 as Anti Science, just the reverse is true. In fact , and unfortunately, the Science Panel has declined to answer several simple questions about their report, and has declined to participate in an Open Public Forum to clarify their findings. Surprizingly, one Science Panel member wrote an article urging the General Assembly accept their report because it was cheap and fast, rather than to seek an Accurate Report.
The Legislature passed a law saying that they would like to have a Verifiable Scientific Report before an un-elected commission starts passing rules that would take taxpaying citizenís property rights.
Thank you again Governor Perdue.
Bill Price Pine Knoll Shores
Do you have no care that you are the biggest troll in NC? That everyone thinks you are an ignorant, polarizing fool? Do a little research and you might not look like one, but I know, research will lead to facts, and you just can't go forward with the truth. I mean, you love ALEC, which is possibly the worst group ever assembled.

Then again, your ignorance is entertaining, and it truly amazes me that a grown adult can come up with such hogwash and be brainwashed into believing it. Not much in that empty head of yours, huh?
Jason

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Web Surfer wrote:
Interesting, I have just seen the article on another website, and the same "Bill Price" an identical comment there. Don't take these comments at face value.
Below, a few users have replied. One, telling that the NOAA report does not say what Bill Price claims and a second revealed the affiliation of the poster:
"Bill Price is a member of NC-20 and owns a development company on the coast. Any additional regulations will hurt developers bottom line. Its easy to see by looking at the list of members of NC-20 that this anti-SLR PR campaign is a thinly veiled attempt to fight additional building regulations. NC-20 will tell you over and over that there is a huge list of scientists who don't believe accelerated SLR will happen and that preparing for it will destroy the economy, raise your property taxes and insurance. What they don't tell you is that those decisions are completely unrelated to the state's policies on SLR. Insurance companies DO NOT take state or local policies into account when deciding flood insurance rates. Surprisingly, they consider actual scientific research and trends. How do we save money by not preparing for SLR? Anyone who owns property on the coast knows that you always prepare for the worst. When a hurricane is coming do you put tin foil over your windows and "hope" that will be enough or do you screw plywood over every window? It makes no sense to me and others why NC-20 wants to force people not to prepare. We live on the coast and we've seen what hurricanes and floods can do. SLR is something that we can slowly prepare for over time. Why not prepare for the worst?"
I am going to go to a third site, to see if he left an identical comment there...
He is all over the place. He is probably being paid by ALEC or the GOP.
Disappointed

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Why cannt weall just get along !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••