Aborigine rage after golliwog doll goes on sale in tourist shops in Australia

May 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Mail

The black-faced dolls, imported from China by an Australian firm, have begun appearing in tourist and novelty shops in resorts north of Brisbane - and Aboriginal elders are furious.

Comments
1 - 20 of 87 Comments Last updated Dec 22, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#1 May 20, 2012
Aborigini's don't look anything like golliwogs...and if anyone should complain it should be the golliwogs about aborigini's believing they have any similarities. It is just the Aborigini's hogging the limelite from the golliwogs, because they are loved by everyone.
Indian male

Australia

#2 May 20, 2012
I want to buy a golliwog to be my lover. Do they have anal holes?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#3 May 21, 2012
Indian male wrote:
I want to buy a golliwog to be my lover. Do they have anal holes?
Ask one of your mates...
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#4 May 21, 2012
Trust the Chinese to flog illegal stuff
OldsCool

Brisbane, Australia

#5 May 21, 2012
The Aboriginals should make their own dolls. Bloody manufacturing going offshore. One black sock and a handfull of bottletops should keep costs down!
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#6 May 21, 2012
OldsCool wrote:
The Aboriginals should make their own dolls. Bloody manufacturing going offshore. One black sock and a handfull of bottletops should keep costs down!
Given the Australian flag is made in the PRC I expect you'll also be getting ANZAC memorobilia made their as well.
Actual Aussie

Tauranga, New Zealand

#7 May 21, 2012
Maybe we should be offended by the stupid bimbo white barbie.
OldsCool

Brisbane, Australia

#8 May 21, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the Australian flag is made in the PRC I expect you'll also be getting ANZAC memorobilia made their as well.
The flag and memorobilia is a good trade for the iron ore and gas.
But we really need an authentic golliwog!
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#9 May 21, 2012
OldsCool wrote:
<quoted text>But we really need an authentic golliwog!
Many an older dark skinned person remembers the label at school with little fondness.

Like creating little "gook" dolls and selling it in Chinatown.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#10 May 21, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Many an older dark skinned person remembers the label at school with little fondness.
Like creating little "gook" dolls and selling it in Chinatown.
I wasn't aware that the term 'Golliwog' was used in reference to Aborigines - I didn't hear it during the time I was growing up and there were many Aborigines in my neighborhood.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#11 May 21, 2012
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't aware that the term 'Golliwog' was used in reference to Aborigines - I didn't hear it during the time I was growing up and there were many Aborigines in my neighborhood.
It was in widespread use when I went to school in the late 1960s in western suburbs of Sydney. Not just aborigines. It will certainly bring back memories for me. Not pleasant ones.
OldsCool

Brisbane, Australia

#12 May 21, 2012
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is just a doll, probably not the most popular in the 19-20th century. However it was popular in the USA, Britain and Australia.
The other argument is that are white, yellow and brown dolls just as racy. I expect the term "Golliwog" was resented, but "White Nurse", "Caspar" and "Pomee" didnt really bother us in the olden days.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#13 May 21, 2012
OldsCool wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is just a doll, probably not the most popular in the 19-20th century. However it was popular in the USA, Britain and Australia.
The other argument is that are white, yellow and brown dolls just as racy. I expect the term "Golliwog" was resented, but "White Nurse", "Caspar" and "Pomee" didnt really bother us in the olden days.
white nurse?

#14 May 21, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
It was in widespread use when I went to school in the late 1960s in western suburbs of Sydney. Not just aborigines. It will certainly bring back memories for me. Not pleasant ones.
Maybe the term was 'regional'- no, not very nice, a bit sad though, my mother used to make those Golliwogs, along with Raggedy Anne and Raggedy Andy dolls, teddy bears, clowns etc - I remember how popular they were as gifts. I never associated Golliwogs with anything to do with people - they were dolls.

#15 May 21, 2012
OldsCool wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly remember being called a 'Pomee'- but I hadn't heard anyone referred to as 'Caspar' or 'White Nurse'(what is meant by that?)
King Poopeybum

Brisbane, Australia

#16 May 21, 2012
There should be a "King Poopeybum" doll , in honour of me. They would would be very popular , and a good seller all over the world...(I have many fans)
scooterman

Brunswick East, Australia

#17 May 21, 2012
Elias wrote:
Trust the Chinese to flog illegal stuff
Golliwogs are quite legal to sell in Australia.

As for the comments from the elder stating that the dolls were offensive, should be banned, doesn't bring unity within the community or 'bring back' equity etc I'd advise him to take up Olympic Games archery because he can draw a freakishly long bow.

For starters there is absolutely no connection between golliwogs and Aborigines at all and those who attempt to make a connection are merely feigning offence for the attention.

Since when did unity and equality in a community depend on the supposed qualities of a child's doll?

Secondly, golliwogs are intended for young children who fail to see any sort of political incorrectness or racist indoctrination in them and I doubt that many get sold to white supremacists at Christmas time.

OldsCool

Brisbane, Australia

#18 May 21, 2012
Caspar the white ghost-a cartoon. A "White Nurse" was probably the most feared of Aboriginal children, the "being" who passed you on to the doctors and hospital treatment at the Abo Clinics.
I went to school in East Perth in the 60's where the Abos were 70% in the majority. There was even a Wongi "Hostel" for young women attached to this inner city school.
Fortunately I was very hardy and the aboriginals were relatively malnutrished. Nonetheless the spirit of the aboriginal children weren generally far superior to us white natives but alas my childhood friends nearly all disappeared by high school.
However I can assure you that the children and their parents gave as good as they got and did it with equal humour and hatred.
Mind games

Saint Kilda, Australia

#19 May 21, 2012
Try the Apu doll. It is the symbol of 7/11

. By 2015, every wh!te family should have one!

#20 May 21, 2012
scooterman wrote:
<quoted text>
Golliwogs are quite legal to sell in Australia.
As for the comments from the elder stating that the dolls were offensive, should be banned, doesn't bring unity within the community or 'bring back' equity etc I'd advise him to take up Olympic Games archery because he can draw a freakishly long bow.
For starters there is absolutely no connection between golliwogs and Aborigines at all and those who attempt to make a connection are merely feigning offence for the attention.
Since when did unity and equality in a community depend on the supposed qualities of a child's doll?
Secondly, golliwogs are intended for young children who fail to see any sort of political incorrectness or racist indoctrination in them and I doubt that many get sold to white supremacists at Christmas time.
The dolls were never intended to be used as a racist reference - I'm glad they are still legal because there is a shop nearby which has been selling them for a few years now. I know many Aboriginals and have never heard any one of them make a comment about the Golliwogs, so maybe it was a reference used in some areas and not others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Australia: MH370 may have turned south sooner 10 hr Foo 75
Australian PM to visit India, Malaysia Aug 29 poo smelly curry 2
Same-sex couples head over the ditch for vows Aug 24 Doris McMorris 3
New, Improved 'Mega-Brothel' Coming to Australi... (Jun '12) Aug 21 Stan Dandyliver 57
Did Chinese mariners reach Australia before the... Aug 18 RESISTANCE IS FUTILE 105
WikiLeaks breaks gag order Aug 6 Monu Kajla 9
Legal scholar became Australia's authority on c... Jul '14 Weekend at Bernies 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Australia Travel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••