Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
341,141 - 341,160 of 539,528 Comments Last updated 22 min ago
Clay

Chicago, IL

#354758 May 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Your quote, "Satan is afraid of the cross for the same reason millions of liberals in our Government are. Fear of what it represents." End quote.
What does it represent?
<quoted text>
I'm going to suggest it is you who does not know. What does the cross represent?
<quoted text>
Your quote, "To me, it represents Our Lord suffering and dying for our sins; God coming to this Earth as one of us and humans nailing him to the cross to die." End quote.
Yes, I see now. Is this why Jesus is still found nailed to the cross in catholic churches? The cross in my church is empty. Why? Jesus has risen and is no longer nailed to the cross. You glorify His death, the nailing to the cross, and we celebrate His Resurrection, the empty tomb. You mourn His death and we celebrate His life.
<quoted text>
Clay, oh Clay,
No, you are reading into what I said from what you believe I should have said.
Many, many people have died and many were crucified. How many have been resurrected from the dead?
<quoted text>
Yes, we held the hammer. We drove the nails. We spit in His face. We shaped the crown of thorns. We whipped Him. It was our sins that held Him on the cross. When Jesus went to the cross He not only took our sins to the cross He took us. The day He died we died with Him. When He was raised we were raised with Him.
Paul describes it great.
Galatians 2:20, ""I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."
The death of Jesus on the cross was heart breaking. But our hope is not in His death on the cross. Our hope is His life in the resurrection. Jesus died. Yes. But because of the resurrection He lives I live with Him if I believe.
I Corinthians 15:21-22, 21 "For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive."
soooo what's the problem with having a crucifix in our Church? Does it make God jealous?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#354759 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...present!!
You are too funny....

In school I would YELL....HERE!!!!!!!!! lol......
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#354760 May 8, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Off-topic.
Define "apostle".
Look up the qualifications of an apostle....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#354761 May 8, 2012
So, you have something from Jesus, explicitly stating this?
I doubt this very much.
You'll probably at this time, pull something from the Catechism, huh?
Research that which you present - PRIOR to trying to pass it off as legitimate.
<quoted text>
Newsflash - Jesus didn't write the Bible, nor did he write anything associated tot he Bible.
Oh, so you WALKED with Jesus at that time....
truth

Perth, Australia

#354762 May 8, 2012
i sto ti oni rekose majko danas
rekose mi moj ljubljeni sine
da sam zaspala
da zaspala vasa gospa i usnula san
a koje su ono majko gospe bile prije tebe
neznam sine
nepoznajem nijedne
a kako to majko
da neprepoznaju tvog dragog sina
neprepoznaju
prepusteni smo njihovim bicima
ruglu i svakom jadu
kome se majko onda mole
neznam sine
mi ih nepoznajemo zar ne
chuck

Dublin, OH

#354763 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
You were baptized as an infant. If you had died in infancy, you would have gone to heaven. Now in your new found wisdom, and I do mean 'new', you're denying this to your infants. We'll see who the bowling ball is.
I don't have an infant. However my 16 year old son has done the samething that I have....acknowledged he's a sinner, repented, and received Christ by faith and was baptized to show this. I had nothing to do with it unlike catholic parents. My son understands Ephesians 2:8 and Romans 10:9. So tell me, what am I denying my son? Please tell me you have something so much better.

Oh yeah....my wisdom comes from God...it's not mine.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#354764 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
That's because he's not Catholic.
<quoted text>
I do?
Projecting again?
Can you please stop making up things about people?
If you want to stay on-topic, then great, but making up false claims, just shows how much you aren't paying attention to what people write.
lol......

I have stated MANY, MANY times since I have been on here that I'm not Catholic....
chuck

Dublin, OH

#354765 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The command is AND be baptized.
Thanks.
Is baptism more important than confessing Christ?

Yes or No is fine...I don't need to hear what a command is.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#354766 May 8, 2012
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sola scripture has nothing to do with it. Actually, it's a moral issue. God is a loving and merciful God and to think an infant who dies without being baptized won't not go to Heaven is absurd. If this were true, how can He be loving and merciful??
You put all your energy into baptizing as oppose to confessing Christ.
Its up to God to determine if un baptized babies will go to Heaven. Obviously, we believe they would based on God being who He is. The decision is not yours.
Its also up to God to determine if Jews and Muslims will go to Heaven.
You're right, He is all loving and merciful. For those that have not heard the gospel of Jesus Christ, we will let God decide not us.
ReginaM

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#354767 May 8, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What's up?
From what he had said in his post I thought he was under the impression that you were Catholic, so I corrected him. Then he or someone else indicated that I didn't know what I as talking about, so I said it again. That's all, no big deal.

Hope you're well!
Clay

Chicago, IL

#354768 May 8, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
lol......
I have stated MANY, MANY times since I have been on here that I'm not Catholic....
Just curious truth, what denomination do you follow?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#354769 May 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Its up to God to determine if un baptized babies will go to Heaven. Obviously, we believe they would based on God being who He is. The decision is not yours.
Its also up to God to determine if Jews and Muslims will go to Heaven.
You're right, He is all loving and merciful. For those that have not heard the gospel of Jesus Christ, we will let God decide not us.
Clay please don't put words in my mouth. I never said it was my decision. We can sit here and debate all day about infant baptism. The thing is, if catholics on this forum had to say one way or the other, most would say yes...babies who die without baptism do go to Heaven, but they will not because they won't compromise what they've been taught.
ReginaM

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#354770 May 8, 2012
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have an infant. However my 16 year old son has done the samething that I have....acknowledged he's a sinner, repented, and received Christ by faith and was baptized to show this. I had nothing to do with it unlike catholic parents. My son understands Ephesians 2:8 and Romans 10:9. So tell me, what am I denying my son? Please tell me you have something so much better.
Oh yeah....my wisdom comes from God...it's not mine.
Better than the Gospel? No, I don't have anything better than that.

You risked your infant son's immortal soul based on 'your' wisdom, not that of scripture. Unless, of course, you can show me where it says unbaptized infants will go to heaven.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#354771 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Star! Hank is "Truth" (with a capital 'T'). As far as anyone can tell, he's a Campbellite, but he won't say one way or the other. He's definitely not Catholic. A few of their doctrines are similar to ours. For instance, they believe in baptism, although not infant.
How are you doing? Hope all is well.
Its not 1950 anymore!

Why have infant baptisms today if according to the roman catholic bishops conference that 3 out of every 4 baptized catholics, don't practice their faith today. Most catholics use or have used forms of contraceptives the church says is sinful. Almost as many catholic women as non catholic women have abortions in america. Many divorced catholics have new partners that the church says is adultry.

In France 85% of the population are baptized catholics most from infancy, yet today less that 8% practice their faith as adults.

Wouldn't the followers and the church be stronger if baptisms were held off until catholics/protestants reached the age of decision making themselves, instead of making the family happy then later finding out the baptized child then is now an adult and doesn't even go to church.

Up until the early 1960s most catholics were conservative, today MOST catholics are not, and that number is growing.

Today in america we live in a cosmopolitan, secular society where educated adults are making different decisions about themselves then their parents did when they were infants.

Teach your children catholicism and the different religious beliefs in our society, so they become tolerant of others when they become adults. If the child decides as a young adult to become a baptized catholic then so be it, but to baptize every catholic baby hoping they will all stick to it, is ludicrous today.

Infant baptisms to many catholic families is more about tradition, customs, family parties, and making mom and dad happy.

Baptism should be about the person themselves, deciding what is best for them, not best for mom and dad.
ReginaM

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#354772 May 8, 2012
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
According to scripture both are equally important.
truth

Perth, Australia

#354773 May 8, 2012
sotona je mudra previse mudra za sve vas
da previse njezna
i misteriozna
pozurila je ta njeznost da ugrabi sto vise
chuck

Dublin, OH

#354774 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Better than the Gospel? No, I don't have anything better than that.
You risked your infant son's immortal soul based on 'your' wisdom, not that of scripture. Unless, of course, you can show me where it says unbaptized infants will go to heaven.
Have have shown you...you deny it.

I figured it out. You do believe baptism is more important than confessing Christ..thanks

Oh come on Regina...you have so much more to add to Christ death...you're a catholic for crying out loud.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#354775 May 8, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
According to scripture both are equally important.
So why does scripture on condemn one?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#354776 May 8, 2012
DayStorm wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLOL!!!!!! Oh, this one is beyond the pale. The Catholic Church, who brought the world the Bible centuries before the KJV.. and you profess that the Pope doesn't understand it??? How many hours of sleep do you lose each night to come up with this nonsense?
ROTFLOL!!!!!

Heaven/Hell, prophecies coming true, demon possession, holy meal sacrifice, initiation by baptism, holy spirits, immortal son of God, miracle working man/god, eternal salvation......were ALL common elements in ancient mediterranean cultures centuries before Jesus was even thought of.

The elements of Christianity doesn't come from Jesus, its comes from the accumulation of legends, and theologies of other religious leaders who came a thousand years before........don't you know that?

If you read your bible, and if you allow yourself without fear, to read and learn about religious history long before the bible you will quickly learn that MOST of the customs, traditions and elements of christianity were not UNIQUE to Jesus.

UNBELIEVABLE!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#354777 May 8, 2012
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Confessing Christ....it is part of being saved, Chuckie....

1 Timothy 6:12

12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which [[[[[you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.]]]]]

In the presence of many witnesses....aren't there many witnesses at your BAPTISM????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min RiccardoFire 94,737
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 min An NFL Fan 118,118
Appjoy invite code 11 min trent 49
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 12 min YTubeNEws 69,794
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min scaritual 733,901
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min YTubeNEws 173,303
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min KiMare 226,535
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 40 min Pegasus 258,167
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr lil whispers 600,184
•••