Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#116113 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís a good thing I saved this. Iím going to be using it a lot.
As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" is an aphorism which appears in the Book of Proverbs in the Bible ó Proverbs 26:11.
Its meaning is that fools are stubbornly inflexible and this is illustrated with the repulsive simile of the dog that eats its vomit again, even though this may be poisonous.
Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scavengers of the dead and they appear in the Bible as repugnant creatures, symbolizing evil.
The reference to vomit indicates excessive indulgence and so also symbolizes revulsion.
The incorrigible nature of fools is further emphasized in Proverbs 27:22, "Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him."
The "fool" spoken of is a person lacking moral behavior or discipline, just as the "wise" person in Proverbs is one who knows to (or knows how to) behave wisely.
Keep it up, Givemeliberty, and you will be on his bad side with me!

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#116114 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Turning and burning for now.
What are you laying out in the sun too long? lol

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

SŲdertšlje, Sweden

#116115 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know you can take a cheap ass car,
some off brand built like the Yugo.
Then take a BMW emblem and place on itís hood.
Does that make it a reliable and highly refined BMW?
No itís a piece of sh** with a BMW emblem on it.
a bad christian is still a christian

Since: Mar 11

United States

#116116 Aug 3, 2012
So the dude in middle eastern clothes aka a turbin pukes on your dad and that turned him to Christ? Well I guess he knew your family had a fetish for such a thing.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" is an aphorism which appears in the Book of Proverbs in the Bible ó Proverbs 26:11.
Its meaning is that fools are stubbornly inflexible and this is illustrated with the repulsive simile of the dog that eats its vomit again, even though this may be poisonous.
Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scavengers of the dead and they appear in the Bible as repugnant creatures, symbolizing evil.
The reference to vomit indicates excessive indulgence and so also symbolizes revulsion.
The incorrigible nature of fools is further emphasized in Proverbs 27:22, "Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him."
The "fool" spoken of is a person lacking moral behavior or discipline, just as the "wise" person in Proverbs is one who knows to (or knows how to) behave wisely.

United States

#116117 Aug 3, 2012
He's like the dog that keeps returning to it's vomit.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep it up, Givemeliberty, and you will be on his bad side with me!

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#116118 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to point out the Nazi's(Hitler) used BMW to produce aircraft engines in it's war machine.

Just like the Nazi's(Hitler) used Christianity in it's war machines.

Louisville, KY

#116119 Aug 3, 2012
Hey maybe the dude In a turbin was just the doctor on call? Lots of those from the middle east! Maybe your dad thought he was a suicide bomber and that scared him into Jesus? And before you said he died an atheist now you say he died accepting Jesus?

Did you lie then or now?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#116120 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, then you are saying you are a piece of sh** with a Xtain emblem on it???

OK, emblem or not, I buy that!

Louisville, KY

#116121 Aug 3, 2012
That would be like putting a turd on a piece of sht!
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
So, then you are saying you are a piece of sh** with a Xtain emblem on it???
OK, emblem or not, I buy that!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#116122 Aug 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
He's looking for a date!
Age ain't nothin but a numba eagle!

Location hidden

#116123 Aug 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That urban legend was passed around church young groups in the 70's along with Halloween is evil! LOL!
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb...
Someone actually told me that story, with a straight face! I tried so hard not to laugh at them.
Haha that is awesome.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#116124 Aug 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Age ain't nothin but a numba eagle!
I don't think he is looking for that kind of date!!! You know those fundie types!

Location hidden

#116125 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Letís look at what you wrote and apply it to atheism. Notice what you have written can very easily apply to atheism by simply changing one word.
It is truly funny when you accuse other people of being inflexible. The very concept of having a atheism belief necessitates an inflexible world view - to have a belief is to have insulated your mind from outside influences that might threaten it. The human mind is very, very good at maintaining and holding on to beliefs once a certain belief has become sufficiently ingrained. There's no point in going into much detail, but to put it simply, there are several mechanisms that, once a belief has been decided upon, ensure that all evidence for the belief is latched on to and all information contrary to it are discarded - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.
You know, that was a very good try, but not so much. Atheism is not a belief. For some very bullheaded people, it may become something of a philosophy for them, but for the rest of us, it simply means a lack of belief in god. That's it. I do not have a belief in god. I am not opposed to the possibility, but currently I see no compelling evidence for a deity. Just like I see no compelling evidence for Zeus. Am I closed minded because I don't believe in Zeus? I don't like baseball very much - is that a sport?

Location hidden

#116126 Aug 3, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If mankind is related to primates.
Why primates arenít driving buses, delivery pizzaís, fixing cars, working in factories, inventing, writing books, driving tractors, farming and such?
How can one species excel to the point of placing a man on the moon and the other not advance?
Are you serious? Do you really consider this a compelling argument, or even something worth saying?

Location hidden

#116127 Aug 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he is looking for that kind of date!!! You know those fundie types!
What kind of dates do those fundie types like? The rapey kind?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#116128 Aug 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? Do you really consider this a compelling argument, or even something worth saying?
Yes! He really is that stupid!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#116129 Aug 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of dates do those fundie types like? The rapey kind?
You know; they are all, big anti-gay, chest pounders in public, but behind closed doors, they are a peeter poofin' fool!

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#116130 Aug 3, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
atheism doesn't have a creed
Did I say it did?

Columbus, OH

#116131 Aug 3, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
More importantly, most atheists feel no affinity for communism, especially in the U.S.. It is hard to ignore the obvious truths that capitalism provides the best environment for business, that when business thrives, general prosperity follows, and that general prosperity tends to enhance comfort and reduce suffering in any population. Enhanced comfort and reduced suffering promotes peace and reduces violence. These are all good things that are impossible within a communistic structure. Modern American atheists share no kinship with the communists of the past.
I do not know whether most atheists do or don't share such an affinity. But certainly atheism does not require or imply adherence to a particularity social model such as communism, though it would seem to require a rejection of any form of theocracy.

And surely, classic communism can be separated from its atheist component. But as originally proposed by Marx and Engels, atheism was part of the package.

But there are Christian communists, and at least some early Christians practiced a communal form of the religion.

Columbus, OH

#116132 Aug 3, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say it did?
Correction: Did I say that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 min Happy Lesbo 609,926
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Paul Porter1 818,104
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Paul Porter1 579,305
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 16 min mohit 12
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min Pegasus 270,192
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 27 min WasteWater 2,024
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 30 min theswamiji 5,931
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr uknaked 98,013
More from around the web