Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239373 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#105021 Jun 2, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
In Japan, we Japanese are born Shintoist and we die Buddhist, so it is said. I'm an atheist and don’t believe in either religion and think they’re nothing but fiction, please keep this in mind.

No one here cares about what Shinto tells us. We don’t wonder any greater meanings or take our morals from the Shinto deities. My family has a butsudan in our home, where our ancestors and house deity live. None of us worry what the deity thinks. We put rice and sake and beer on the shrine and it’s never consumed. It’s not going to judge us, it’s not going to damn us, it protects the house. Unlike the Abrahamic religions, it never – never – implores us to kill, rape or attack others. It doesn’t tell us to have slaves, or make slaves of others. None of us, quite frankly, care what it thinks and would never act as if the kamisama was talking to us. In fact, no crime is committed in Japan where the insane, who have killed people, claim "the kamisama told me to!" It never happens, has never happened in the entire history of Japan.

And likewise in Zen Buddhism. The Zen Buddha never tells you to kill. Rather, we are told that we can reach the Buddha by training to perfection. When your movement becomes perfect, you feel the hands of Buddha upon you. Once reaching that perfect state we no longer need to fight. From then on you will instantly know, without physical engagement, who is the stronger opponent. The outcome decided, the opponents agree and either go their own way or enjoy a drink together.
The Abrahamic religions are vile. They beseech you worshipers to rain hell among the unbelievers – you cannot tell me that is false. You have justified slavery and rape and murder from your Bible, Boss. You have no excuse, not in our day, not with our knowledge, not with our laws.
War is in your holy book like a disease.
Christianity tells us that people are sinful and are doomed to hell – a hell that God Almighty Created for people that displease Him – that “only by grace” we are saved. Jesus literally says "I am your only salvation." What could be more evil than to say "you were born human and will suffer, except for me"???
We all have idealized selves. We all have an image of who we should be in our heads. Younger, full of willpower, strong, moral. And we never live up to this person. We fail because of emotion, need, desire, circumstance – we all know what it is like to disappoint a loved one. And Christianity rapes these feelings of ours and tells us that to be human, to be the best we can be, is a sentence to eternal hell. Only the Christian deity can save us from this fate, from ourselves, and labels this failure "original sin".
What evil! What manipulation! How vile is that religion! And the Muslims claim no better with the Muslim religion – they have to pray 5 times a day to a dictator who knows their every action, who demands homage out of insecurity, who lies to them, telling them that they are His chosen people, the last to receive His message.
Don’t tell us that Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin were secular – they were steeped in religion. They knew very well, perhaps better than anyone, how the Abrahamic religions manipulate people and they put those devices into practice. Don’t condescend to us and lie about history. The worst excesses of the 20th century were taught to their dictators at the teats of Christianity. Look! They learned their lesson very well.
You cannot claim that religion is good for people. You cannot claim that the Abrahamic religions lead to spiritual growth based on the best of your religious scholars – intelligent, educated people who, universally, ignore the literal translation of all Abrahamic religious texts.
Your religions are vile. Damaging. Hateful to humanity.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#105022 Jun 2, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant!
:D
1. Never throw shit at an armed man.
1b. Never stand next to someone who is throwing shit at an armed man.
2. Never fire a laser at a mirror.
3. Mother Nature doesn't care if you're having fun.
4. F × S = k. The product of Freedom and Security is a constant. To gain more freedom of thought and/or action, you must give up some security, and vice versa
5. Psi and/or magical powers, if real, are nearly useless.
6. It is easier to destroy than create.
7. Any damn fool can predict the past.
8. History never repeats itself.
9. Ethics change with technology.
10. Anarchy is the least stable of social structures. It falls apart at a touch.
11. There is a time and place for tact. And there are times when tact is entirely misplaced.
12. The ways of being human are bounded but infinite.
13. The world's dullest subjects, in order:
Somebody else's diet.
How to make money for a worthy cause.
Special Interest Liberation.
14. The only universal message in science fiction: There exist minds that think as well as you do, but differently.
Niven's corollary: The gene-tampered turkey you're talking to isn't necessarily one of them.
15. Fuzzy Pink Niven's Law: Never waste calories.
16. There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it.
in variant form in Fallen Angels as "Niven's Law: No cause is so noble that it won't attract fuggheads."[3]
17. No technique works if it isn't used.
18. Not responsible for advice not taken.
19. Old age is not for sissies.

The Borderland of Sol

#105023 Jun 2, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it-- prove your monster-terror-god is "alive".
I have $100 for you, if you can prove it.
If the OT God is ever proven to be real, I will of course believe in it.

And immediately join the Resistance.

The Borderland of Sol

#105024 Jun 2, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Explain Consciousness......
Coffee.
Captain

Grand Junction, CO

#105025 Jun 2, 2012
The entire concept and philosophy of Communism is diametrically opposed to everything for which the Christian Church stands -belief in Deity, belief in the dignity and eternal nature of man, and the application of the gospel to efforts for peace in the world. Communism is militantly atheistic and is committed to the destruction of faith wherever it may be found. The Russian Commissar of Education wrote: "We must hate Christians and Christianity. Even the best of them must be considered our worst enemies. Christian love is an obstacle to the development of the revolution. Down with love for one's neighbor. What we want is hate. Only then shall we conquer the universe." On the other hand, the gospel teaches the existence of God as our Eternal and Heavenly Father and declares: "... him only shalt thou serve." (Matt. 4: 10.)
Communism debases the individual and makes him the enslaved tool of the state, to which he must look for sustenance and religion. Communism destroys man’s God-given free agency. No member of any Christian Church can be true to his faith, nor can any American be loyal to his trust, while lending aid, encouragement, or sympathy to any of these false philosophies.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#105026 Jun 2, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Could somebody please translate the above into English.
I know I make my fair share of typos but .... come on.
Word salad, no dressing.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105027 Jun 2, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If the OT God is ever proven to be real, I will of course believe in it.
And immediately join the Resistance.
Screw that, if the OT god is proven real, I'm going to find the secret to immortality. Y'all have fun in that mess of an afterlife.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105028 Jun 2, 2012
Captain wrote:
The entire concept and philosophy of Communism is diametrically opposed to everything for which the Christian Church stands -belief in Deity, belief in the dignity and eternal nature of man, and the application of the gospel to efforts for peace in the world. Communism is militantly atheistic and is committed to the destruction of faith wherever it may be found. The Russian Commissar of Education wrote: "We must hate Christians and Christianity. Even the best of them must be considered our worst enemies. Christian love is an obstacle to the development of the revolution. Down with love for one's neighbor. What we want is hate. Only then shall we conquer the universe." On the other hand, the gospel teaches the existence of God as our Eternal and Heavenly Father and declares: "... him only shalt thou serve." (Matt. 4: 10.)
Communism debases the individual and makes him the enslaved tool of the state, to which he must look for sustenance and religion. Communism destroys man’s God-given free agency. No member of any Christian Church can be true to his faith, nor can any American be loyal to his trust, while lending aid, encouragement, or sympathy to any of these false philosophies.
A point, make one.

The Borderland of Sol

#105030 Jun 2, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Screw that, if the OT god is proven real, I'm going to find the secret to immortality. Y'all have fun in that mess of an afterlife.
Hehehe.

You go, girl!
Captain

Grand Junction, CO

#105031 Jun 2, 2012
When a person says "Obama is a Christian" it must be understood in the context of Liberation Theology.

Here are some of the important points about Liberation Theology:

1. Liberation Theology has it center of power in Latin America and in African Theology, but is found in many Christian denominations throughout the Third World.

2. Liberation Theology is a new interpretation of Christian reality.

3. Liberation Theology is radically Marxist.“...the world must be interpreted in terms of the class struggle and that the only choice is between capitalism and Marxism.”

4. Liberation Theology thrives on perpetuating class struggle. The only people of the Church are those who participate in class struggle.

5. Liberation Theology is a theology of bloody political revolution. All of Christian reality is reduced to politico-social liberation praxis (action).

6. Liberation Theology rejects traditional scriptural interpretations.“The experience of the "community" determines the understanding and the interpretation of Scripture... Ultimately, what is normative for interpretation is not historical research but the hermeneutic of history experienced in the community or the political group.”

7. Liberation Theology makes the Bible subject to a Marxist view of history.“The "historicality" of the Bible must justify its absolute dominance and thus legitimize the' transition to materialist-marxist philosophy, in which history has taken over the role of God... historical criticism has loosed Scripture from the traditional interpretation, which now appears to be unscientific.

8. Liberation Theology is a threat to the faith of the Christian Church.

Here we can analyzes some of the central concepts of Liberation Theology:
Faith: Jesus' experience of God is radically historical. "His faith is transformed into fidelity." Thus faith is fundamentally replaced by "fidelity to history"...

Hope is interpreted as "confidence in the.future" and as working for the future and thus is subordinated once more to the history of class conflict...

Love consists in the "option for the poor"; i.e., it coincides with opting for the class struggle...

Kingdom of God:“..the Kingdom must not be understood in a spiritualist or universalist manner, not in the sense of an abstract eschatological eventuality. It must be understood in partisan terms and with a view to praxis. The meaning of the Kingdom can only be defined by reference to the praxis of Jesus, not theoretically: it means working at the historical reality that surrounds us in order to transform it into the Kingdom.”

Overcoming Dualism “Here we must mention another basic idea of a particular post­conciliar theology which has led in this direction. People said that after the Council every dualism must be overcome: the dualism of body and soul, of natural and supernatural, of this world and the world beyond, of then and now. Once these supposed dualisms had been eliminated, it only remained to work for a kingdom to be realized in present history and in politico­economic reality. This meant, however, that one had ceased to work for the benefit of people in this present time and had begun to destroy the present in the interests of a supposed future: thus the real dualism had broken loose.”

Note: The above explanation of overcoming dualism certainly gives us some insight into the suicidal nature of leftist thought!

Death and Resurrection:“... Man has taken over God's gesture — this manifests the whole transformation of the biblical message in an almost tragic way ...”

Eucharist is interpreted as a celebration of liberation in the sense of politico-messianic hope and praxis.

The word redemption is largely replaced by liberation, which is seen, against the background of history and the class struggle, as a process of progressive liberation.

Action is truth “... The only true orthodoxy is therefore orthopraxy.”

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#105033 Jun 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like an old, bitter virgin.
Sorry, baby, no one wants you.
Gosh do you really think he is a old woman? I was convinced he was at least 13?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#105034 Jun 2, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Gosh do you really think he is a old woman? I was convinced he was at least 13?
And the difference iiisss??

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#105035 Jun 2, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
And the difference iiisss??
Well you could have me on that one. lol

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#105036 Jun 2, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
....Go to your grave ....
As usual, when proven to be the idiot he is, Bossdop wishes death and torture on everyone.

Such a "real Christian"

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#105037 Jun 2, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>your premise is false.
First of all those so call laws of nature God is not restricted by them.....
Prove it.

Show one thing in our current world that does not obey the laws of natue, physics, etc.
god is IMAGINARY

Toronto, Canada

#105038 Jun 2, 2012
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, maybe they don't! What manifestations are you talking about anyway? Revelations....show proof of just one, just one.
I don't think I'm terribly unique and yes we are all tiny specks in a very large universe. What's your point? It's the cristians who think they are so special that they can walk on streets of gold for all eternity. When it comes to feeble minds, speak only for yourself.
I remember this nutjob, she killed two husbands and two sons, she is an original black widow.
god is IMAGINARY

Toronto, Canada

#105039 Jun 2, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
Show one thing in our current world that does not obey the laws of natue, physics, etc.
So,what are you, like 85 and in an old folks home, because you are here 24/7 and if there were 10 days in a week you would still be here. What a loser! Get a life, old hag.
god is IMAGINARY

Toronto, Canada

#105040 Jun 2, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, when proven to be the idiot he is, Bossdop wishes death and torture on everyone.
Such a "real Christian"
24/7, hmm, nope, you are the nutjob.
god is IMAGINARY

Toronto, Canada

#105041 Jun 2, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A point, make one.
make up, use some. Facial vanishing cream works wonders. Maybe, it will make that face disappear.
god is IMAGINARY

Toronto, Canada

#105042 Jun 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, no matter how hard I want, baby, I'm never going to be sexy. My desire is only for my dad, I only want sex with him.
Did your dad rape you and make you dumb or are you dumb because you are Japanese? I thought we killed you all off in WW11.

Sue Chi.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Pegasus 271,388
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Lumatrix 839,658
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min June VanDerMark 590,598
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 9 min Big Al 4,569
bless the jews (Nov '08) 21 min prophecy year 2015 7,201
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 23 min Santosanto 612,206
enter mail an win 100$ 26 min jack 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr gundee123 100,066
More from around the web