3)YES
4)YES
5)YES
6)YES
7)YES
8)YES
9)YES
10)YES
Is the word "everywhere" hard to understand?
So, you mean that I just dropped God into the toilet??

Aaargh!!

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#525461 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Wonderfully stated, TT and this is much of what I tried to explain to Riverside the other day.
It is VERY easy to get a gun here in the USA- the background checks are perfunctory at best.
Cases in point: The Virginia Tech shootings of several years ago.
The more recent shootings in Colorado at a movie theater.
The most recent shootings at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.
In all cases, the guns used had been legally purchased and in all cases, it was found AFTER the fact that the shooters had psychological issues and were not at all stable individuals.
I doubt ordinary citizens owning guns will ever be outlawed in the USA, but there is simply no excuse for background checks to not be more stringent and more detailed than they are.
Legally buying a gun in the USA is about as easy as buying anything else as the background checks here are a joke.
And it brings this to mind- if we really live by "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth", eventually, everyone would be walking around blind and toothless.
This issue of guns can be a highly debatable issue. We can talk about the criteria for gun ownership, but even that has its flaws. There are many psychos who can go on for years passing off as completely normal. Or sometimes a person can be quite normal when he applied and got a gun, but then developed psychological problems due to some experience thereafter.

In our country, we have a problem of border control. Loads of illegal weapons came into the country during apartheid times in anticipation of a civil war, and to an extent, weapons are still coming in. Some people here actually complain that gun laws are too strict here, and they see it as the state not allowing them to defend themselves with a legal gun, against criminals who have illegal guns.

Be that as it may, this encouragement of everyone should get a gun, is a very childish and shortsighted, and infact dangerous proposition Riverside is trying to make. It'll make vigilante behaviour more common, street justice. And what will happen to minorities when the evangelicals wish to start a crusade to "cleanse the U.S."?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#525462 Aug 10, 2012
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This issue of guns can be a highly debatable issue. We can talk about the criteria for gun ownership, but even that has its flaws. There are many psychos who can go on for years passing off as completely normal. Or sometimes a person can be quite normal when he applied and got a gun, but then developed psychological problems due to some experience thereafter.
In our country, we have a problem of border control. Loads of illegal weapons came into the country during apartheid times in anticipation of a civil war, and to an extent, weapons are still coming in. Some people here actually complain that gun laws are too strict here, and they see it as the state not allowing them to defend themselves with a legal gun, against criminals who have illegal guns.
Be that as it may, this encouragement of everyone should get a gun, is a very childish and shortsighted, and infact dangerous proposition Riverside is trying to make. It'll make vigilante behaviour more common, street justice. And what will happen to minorities when the evangelicals wish to start a crusade to "cleanse the U.S."?
As I told Riverside, I have an alarm system which is not only something that would alert the authorities within 2 minutes, but which if someone intruded, the piercing alarm would most likely send them scurrying not to mention that it is a deterrent to begin with.

I am the only person on my block with an alarm system and if I was looking for a house to break into, I wouldn't pick the ONE house that has an alarm system but instead would pick one of the many which doesn't, and I can only assume any criminals would follow that same logic.

At any rate, I am a firm believer that violence begets violence and it is also well documented here that in many cases of a home invasion, if the homeowner does have a gun and manages to get to it, intruders often get the gun away from the homeowner and use their own weapon against them.

Home invaders count on the element of surprise, so unless you are sitting at home with your gun by your side or in your hand at all times, owning a gun may do nothing to keep you safe and could actually put you in more danger.

At any rate, keeping a gun within sight or at arm's reach at all times is not a way I would ever choose to live.

As it is, here in Florida, one can keep a loaded gun anywhere in their car and there is a "stand your ground" law here which does nothing but encourage vigilante behavior.

Add to that that SO many shootings take place between people who know each other and who use their guns in the heat of the moment.

I don't like guns, I will never own a gun and it's laughable that Riverside suggested/asked/pleaded with me to get a gun.

As far as people developing psychological issues AFTER having purchased a gun, that can and does certainly happen, so after an initial background check, I don't see why periodic checks could not be put in place. I'm sure they could, but I doubt it will ever happen here and certainly not before the initial background checks become MUCH less perfunctory then they are now.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#525463 Aug 10, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Which is why so many people die from cancer; they put off "knowing" for so long that they screw themselves out of surviving.
You are so right.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#525464 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>That's why PREVENTIVE care is so important- it greatly minimizes the possibility of hearing bad news.
Do you not take your car in for routine maintenance because of the possibility that you'll hear bad news about your car?
I say to myself that I owe myself at least the same kind of maintenance and check-ups that I allow for my car.
Knowing that I am healthy-or not- is certainly far more important and of much greater consequence to my overall well being than my car is.
And that is the problem with people having no health insurance in this country- it is very hard to get preventive care without it, so that what might be a minor health problem if caught in time and not a costly problem to cure or treat can become over time a very serious health problem that would result in a cost too staggering for me to pay for without health insurance.
That's not to say I won't get treated, but who would pick up the tab for that, if not me?
Those who ARE insured, that's who. It's pretty much a trickle-down effect.
It really is true that an ounce of PREVENTION is worth a pound of CURE whether we are talking about our own health or that of our vehicles.
Playing ostrich with one's health is really a form of Russian Roulette and hoping one is okay and without any health issues doesn't mean there are no health issues which shouldn't be addressed.
You too are absolutely correct.

Denial is weakness.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525465 Aug 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You too are absolutely correct.
Denial is weakness.
The thing is, do you really want to be in a position where you might say: If only I'd gone to the doctor sooner?

There is enough we do that we can later regret without risking inviting that regret.

And if not for yourself, take care of yourself and make sure you are okay for your loved ones!

:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#525466 Aug 10, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> *Siiiigh* You are the one who injected the argument for love here, probably as a deflection from the original post(knowing full well that it's not a stat measurable item and can be argued in the same realm as your supernatural deity)...fail.
Now that I have taken your post and shown how it is used as a technique for narcsisstic subjugation infused within your scriptures, you are backpedaling....the obvious point "was" how "love" is used as that tool in your scriptures...not the exact count of the translated word.
There was no backpedaling on my part. I brought up love in a manner that it can't be proven. Yet we all knowit exists...

You tried changing the subject.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525467 Aug 10, 2012
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
A few years ago, while having a pushing contest with a goat in my barnyard, my shin bone snapped. An EMS ride, surgical rebar implant and 3 days in the hospital, I was out hobbling around on crutches. The bill came 3 wks later ....$60,000!!! Through magic behind the scenes hocus pocus and capitalistic tom foolery, the insurance company paid the reduced bill of $20,000. No individual would have gotten that price break.
Bologna. The government has fooled you. Just as the insurance companies argue the price down, so can an individual. You still had to pay $20,000 for a broken leg!!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525468 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I said earlier, when one loves something or someone, if they TRULY love something or someone, they are able to identify the flaws and faults of the object of their love and still love them nonetheless.
YA?

Prove it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525469 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Or have a heart attack. Or get cancer. Or get hit by a bus.
Or any number of things that without health insurance result in catastrophic financial consequences for what is already far too many hard working and tax paying Americans.
It's easy to be nonchalant about something until one needs it and then seriously regrets not having had it PRIOR to needing it.
Boy, the insurance companies have got you scared... They win, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525470 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
Or can ANYONE please tell me if you see my posts?
I would hate to have been banned from Topix, but on the other hand, it would free up a lot of time for me to pursue other activities and most of which are more constructive than is posting on Topix.
Worried?? LOL, you should watch your "mouth".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525471 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as what GWB promised, what he did NOT promise was to leave this country in shambles, but that sure is what he did.
That's right, blame it all on Bush.'cuz Obama's doin suuuuch a great job, huh?

The Debt rose $4.8 trillion during the two terms of the Bush presidency. It has now gone up $4.9 trillion since President Obama took office, the fastest ever in US history. Thanks Hussein!!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525472 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
YA?
Prove it.
Prove what? That to love something or someone means you recognize their faults and flaws and still love them warts and all?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525473 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Worried?? LOL, you should watch your "mouth".
Back at ya.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525474 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, the insurance companies have got you scared... They win, huh?
Uh....no- not at all. Facing a catastrophic illness without health insurance is what is scary.

Hey- you wanna risk going bankrupt should the day ever come when you need a very expensive and life-saving operation and/or all sorts of treatments?

Go right ahead- chances are should that happen to you you will WISH you were dead.

You're foolish. And foolhardy. And a fool.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525475 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
While Obama's first term hasn't been as promising as I'd hoped, he IS on the right track and his heart is in the right place.
And I LOVE that the Repubs can't come up with one bit of personal info to attempt to smear Obama with- he is truly the personification of a good FAMILY man- a devoted and loving husband and father to a very lovely family!
# A good guy doesn't believe it is his obligation to bypass Congress in order to circumvent the law and force his will on the American people.

# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment right to peaceably assemble.

# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment freedom of speech.

# A good guy doesn't work “under the radar” to erode our Second Amendment rights.

# A good guy doesn't arm Mexican drug cartels with American weapons in order to bolster his argument for tighter gun control legislation.

# A good guy doesn't hide behind claims of Executive Privilege to cover corruption in his administration.

# A good guy doesn’t use government to impose mandates on religious institutions, forcing them to abandon their beliefs in favor of his political agenda.

# A good guy doesn't disregard the law whenever it suits his own selfish political ambition.

# A good guy doesn't use intimidation tactics to silence dissent.

# A good guy doesn't work to “fundamentally transform the United States of America” into a nation divided by envy and dependent on government programs.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525476 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, blame it all on Bush.'cuz Obama's doin suuuuch a great job, huh?
The Debt rose $4.8 trillion during the two terms of the Bush presidency. It has now gone up $4.9 trillion since President Obama took office, the fastest ever in US history. Thanks Hussein!!
Oh- hush!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#525478 Aug 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
# A good guy doesn't believe it is his obligation to bypass Congress in order to circumvent the law and force his will on the American people.
# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment right to peaceably assemble.
# A good guy doesn't sign laws to criminalize the First Amendment freedom of speech.
# A good guy doesn't work “under the radar” to erode our Second Amendment rights.
# A good guy doesn't arm Mexican drug cartels with American weapons in order to bolster his argument for tighter gun control legislation.
# A good guy doesn't hide behind claims of Executive Privilege to cover corruption in his administration.
# A good guy doesn’t use government to impose mandates on religious institutions, forcing them to abandon their beliefs in favor of his political agenda.
# A good guy doesn't disregard the law whenever it suits his own selfish political ambition.
# A good guy doesn't use intimidation tactics to silence dissent.
# A good guy doesn't work to “fundamentally transform the United States of America” into a nation divided by envy and dependent on government programs.
I'm not gonna get into this with you.

You stated yesterday that you will not be exercising your PRIVILEGE to vote- a privilege that doesn't exist in SO many other countries but which you will willingly throw away- so what you think doesn't count.

Don't b*tch, whine or moan if you're not going to vote.

You don't count- nor do your opinions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525480 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not gonna get into this with you.
You stated yesterday that you will not be exercising your PRIVILEGE to vote- a privilege that doesn't exist in SO many other countries but which you will willingly throw away- so what you think doesn't count.
Don't b*tch, whine or moan if you're not going to vote.
You don't count- nor do your opinions.
I'm not voting for the president, dums ass. Why should I? I don't wanna have to "choose the lesser of two evils"...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#525481 Aug 10, 2012
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, I WNAT you to change the wording in anyone's posts again.
Like that?

LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Christina La Vey 579,148
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 6 min MUQ2 39,958
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min RADEKT 270,150
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 35 min RiccardoFire 9,245
Why is Pakistan a world superpower (Dec '08) 36 min lifesci 39
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 39 min RiccardoFire 97,991
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 43 min MUQ2 113
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr stemaxgizmo 1,991
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 609,861
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 hr transdem0n 176,208
More from around the web