|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been a Christian all my life & never heard of having to "register". Where do you people come up with your "knowledge", I wonder.
Itís called a christening, have you never been christened, therefore you are not a christain so why call yourself one.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
You really used too many words in your reply to them. I can smell the burning from here.
I enjoy watching the smoke

“I'll keep your hand warm.”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy watching the smoke
LOL.

That one brain cell wont smoke for long so enjoy it.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís called a christening, have you never been christened, therefore you are not a christain so why call yourself one.
No. In order to be Christian one has to believe in Jesus. Ask for forgivenes and huble oneself before God. I did that when I was 5. I vividly remember that day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Judged:

Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
Tying? Do you mean trying?
Well it seems to me that I asked you to give an example of something that was conscience that wasn't a result of something physical. Then you, rather than admit that you couldn't do that went bat shit crazy.
Go figure.
Oops, I meant "typing"...

I dont know where youre going with the whole conscience thing, I made an example that you cant prove love (an emtion) no more than you can prove God.
It's fairh. It's belief. Thats why I posed the question? Do you love your mother? Prove it.

Then as typical on Topix, you went all half-ass on me, changing the subject ASAP.

Well. Prove that love exists. Dont go googlin it, just prove it to me, then I'll believe.(see how stupid you people sound).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. In order to be Christian one has to believe in Jesus. Ask for forgivenes and huble oneself before God. I did that when I was 5. I vividly remember that day.
There's an 'e' in forgiveness. Were you retarded at the age of 5?
Common Sense

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

YELLODOG wrote:
<quoted text>
what? are you telling me you think CHILDREN 16 and under should be on a computer 'chat sites' UNsupervised by parents?
now that is just scary.
You do have comprehension problems.

I pointed out that you are not in a position of authority to formulate those rules.

Regarding children under 16, personally I don't know what the rules are locally and globally.

My point would be in the case where the individual would clearly not be considered a child or is not in violation of the rules for his locality.

Again, I ask the question:

Do you think that you are in a position of authority?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*Humble

You don't make any conscience effort. No wonder you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops, I meant "typing"...
I dont know where youre going with the whole conscience thing, I made an example that you cant prove love (an emtion) no more than you can prove God.
It's fairh. It's belief. Thats why I posed the question? Do you love your mother? Prove it.
Then as typical on Topix, you went all half-ass on me, changing the subject ASAP.
Well. Prove that love exists. Dont go googlin it, just prove it to me, then I'll believe.(see how stupid you people sound).
I didn't change the topic I started. I knew what I was getting at.

Emotions are measurable. So we have good reason to believe they exist.

Now answer my question. Can you give me one example of something that is conscience without physicality being involved.

“Body,Mind and Strength are HIS”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
She left of the "s" not the "e"..were you retarded at the age of 4? And still are..it seems...Grow up child! Grow Up!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Logistics Supervisor wrote:
<quoted text>She left of the "s" not the "e"..were you retarded at the age of 4? And still are..it seems...Grow up child! Grow Up!
Ok.

But they get to call me a tard and an idiot long before I said any of that, but that's ok by you? Because they're in your fundie club?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't change the topic I started. I knew what I was getting at.
Emotions are measurable. So we have good reason to believe they exist.
Now answer my question. Can you give me one example of something that is conscience without physicality being involved.
First of all, I started it. I asked YOU to prove to ME that love exists & yet again, you change the subject to conscience.....
What's wrong, can't back it up?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Dumb ass - I typed in an "E"......

Besides, I didn't know this was a spelling bee, son.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Logistics Supervisor wrote:
<quoted text>She left of the "s" not the "e"..were you retarded at the age of 4? And still are..it seems...Grow up child! Grow Up!
It's always the same with you guys! Jumping in on an attack even though it was your lot that started the attacks. If you were a genuine good guy you'd pick her up on her name calling at me! But no, onward christian soldiers!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I started it. I asked YOU to prove to ME that love exists & yet again, you change the subject to conscience.....
What's wrong, can't back it up?
I answered you!

I said love was a chemical reaction. Remember?

Your memory is shocking.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb ass - I typed in an "E"......
Besides, I didn't know this was a spelling bee, son.
And you forgot there's a 'M' in humble. But hey. It's not a spelling test, but when you go around calling people tards and idiots expect some backlash.

I happy to let this go.

You say you asked me a question I didn't answer, but I did, then I asked you a question you still wont answer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Judged:

Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered you!
I said love was a chemical reaction. Remember?
Your memory is shocking.
LMAO. A chemical reaction huh? hmmm

Prove it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO. A chemical reaction huh? hmmm
Prove it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7815095.stm

Researchers have found that oxytocin is involved in the bonding of male and the female prairie voles, which like humans, form an intense bond with each other that lasts for a very long time.

And there have been studies in humans that show that oxytocin increases trust - the ability to read the emotions of others.

So, Professor Young argues that it makes sense that the same sort of molecule might be involved in strengthening the bond between individuals.

We shouldn't think that this perspective on its own provides a full understanding of what love is

Professor Nick Bostrom
Oxford University

He believes there are other chemicals involved too - it is just a matter of doing the research and finding out which ones they are.

"I'm sure that we are just beginning to tap the surface," he said.

"There are hundreds of signalling molecules in the brain - they all act in different brain areas.

"I think one day we will have a much better understanding of how all these chemicals interact and act in specific brain areas that have specific function that give rise to these complex emotions."

Other scientists argue that upbringing and psychology play a part.

Professor Nick Bostrom, director of Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute, said: "We shouldn't think that this perspective on its own provides a full understanding of what love is.

"There are also evolutionary, psychological, sociological, phenomenological (a philosophical approach and method of qualitative research) and humanistic perspectives that offer important insights."

"Nurture has an important part to play," Professor Young conceeds.

"But the way nurture works is through changing neurochemistry.

"We know from studies in humans that women that have experienced abuse or neglect early in their life have decreased levels of oxytocin in their brain.

Some perfumes contain oxytocin, a chemical which helps human bonding

"So I totally agree that our experiences have a huge impact on our ability to form relationships - but that impact occurs through changes in neurochemistry and gene expression."

So, if love really is just a complex chemical reaction, could that most powerful of human emotions be manipulated?

"Oxytocin increases eye gaze, increases our ability to recognise emotions in others," Professor Young said.

"It may actually enhance our ability to form relationships, and so it is a very real possibility that something like oxytocin could be used in conjunction with marital therapies to bring back that spark."

There are already perfumes on the market containing oxytocin, but Professor Young believes the levels are too low for it to be an effective aphrodisiac.

"But I think in the future we can develop drugs that readily pass into the brain and can target certain brain areas that could do this," he said.

Professor Bostrom believes it will become increasingly possible to manipulate the neurological mechanisms that play a role in romantic attachment.

"Used wisely, such pharmacology could enhance human experience and mitigate unnecessary suffering.

"However, this kind of manipulation would raise a thicket of ethical and cultural issues, which would need to be carefully explored."

----------

There is reams of evidence to show marked changes in brain patterns when people are excited or scared. Emotions are also measurable in an every day sense too.

Hate, is measurable by the actions of how someone reacts to that emotion.

Fear, increases stress hormones in the body. Fight or flight is a basic animal response.

So show me how measurable god is.
----------

No redneck, don't evade my question-

Give me one example of conscience without a physical being.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Young, a researcher at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center at Emory University in Atlanta, studies the neurobiology that underlies pair bonds -- what nonscientists might call love.
In an essay in the journal Nature last month, he laid out evidence that scientists may soon be able to tie the emotion "love" to a biochemical chain of events, and might someday even be able to develop drugs that enhance social bonding -- in much the same way that pharmaceuticals today can help regulate emotions like anxiety and depression.
But, Young says, it's not a love potion. "The holy grail is a drug that might be able to enhance the social abilities of people with social disorders like autism."
In his lab at Yerkes, Young studies rodents called prairie voles. Unlike 95 percent of mammals, prairie voles mate for life.
"They form a lifelong bond," Young said. "They nest together, they raise a family together, they have another litter. So they have this really intense bond between them."
In a series of studies, Young found that the hormones that produce that bond are the same ones that promote parent-child bonding in many other species.
For females, that hormone is oxytocin.
"We can take a prairie vole female, inject her with oxytocin, and she'll bond with whatever male is around," Young said.
For males, a related hormone called vasopressin promotes both pair bonding and fatherly behaviors like grooming young voles.
But like humans, some voles are more suited for monogamy than others. In one recent study, Young found that male voles with a particular variant of a gene called AVPR1A that codes for vasopressin receptors in the brain had fewer of those receptors than usual. And so, perhaps not surprisingly, voles with that gene variant were less likely to bond with females than voles without it.
In another study, Young found that implanting a version of the AVPR1A gene in meadow voles -- a related species that does not mate for life -- produced never-before-seen monogamous meadow voles.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••