Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#517535 Jul 9, 2012
Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
There's an 'e' in forgiveness. Were you retarded at the age of 5?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. In order to be Christian one has to believe in Jesus. Ask for forgivenes and huble oneself before God. I did that when I was 5. I vividly remember that day.

Dumb ass - I typed in an "E"......

Besides, I didn't know this was a spelling bee, son.

“I'll keep your hand warm.”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#517536 Jul 9, 2012
Logistics Supervisor wrote:
<quoted text>She left of the "s" not the "e"..were you retarded at the age of 4? And still are..it seems...Grow up child! Grow Up!
It's always the same with you guys! Jumping in on an attack even though it was your lot that started the attacks. If you were a genuine good guy you'd pick her up on her name calling at me! But no, onward christian soldiers!

Location hidden

#517537 Jul 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I started it. I asked YOU to prove to ME that love exists & yet again, you change the subject to conscience.....
What's wrong, can't back it up?
I answered you!

I said love was a chemical reaction. Remember?

Your memory is shocking.

Location hidden

#517538 Jul 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. In order to be Christian one has to believe in Jesus. Ask for forgivenes and huble oneself before God. I did that when I was 5. I vividly remember that day.
Dumb ass - I typed in an "E"......
Besides, I didn't know this was a spelling bee, son.
And you forgot there's a 'M' in humble. But hey. It's not a spelling test, but when you go around calling people tards and idiots expect some backlash.

I happy to let this go.

You say you asked me a question I didn't answer, but I did, then I asked you a question you still wont answer.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#517539 Jul 9, 2012
Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered you!
I said love was a chemical reaction. Remember?
Your memory is shocking.
LMAO. A chemical reaction huh? hmmm

Prove it.

Location hidden

#517540 Jul 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7815095.stm

Researchers have found that oxytocin is involved in the bonding of male and the female prairie voles, which like humans, form an intense bond with each other that lasts for a very long time.

And there have been studies in humans that show that oxytocin increases trust - the ability to read the emotions of others.

So, Professor Young argues that it makes sense that the same sort of molecule might be involved in strengthening the bond between individuals.

We shouldn't think that this perspective on its own provides a full understanding of what love is

Professor Nick Bostrom
Oxford University

He believes there are other chemicals involved too - it is just a matter of doing the research and finding out which ones they are.

"I'm sure that we are just beginning to tap the surface," he said.

"There are hundreds of signalling molecules in the brain - they all act in different brain areas.

"I think one day we will have a much better understanding of how all these chemicals interact and act in specific brain areas that have specific function that give rise to these complex emotions."

Other scientists argue that upbringing and psychology play a part.

Professor Nick Bostrom, director of Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute, said: "We shouldn't think that this perspective on its own provides a full understanding of what love is.

"There are also evolutionary, psychological, sociological, phenomenological (a philosophical approach and method of qualitative research) and humanistic perspectives that offer important insights."

"Nurture has an important part to play," Professor Young conceeds.

"But the way nurture works is through changing neurochemistry.

"We know from studies in humans that women that have experienced abuse or neglect early in their life have decreased levels of oxytocin in their brain.

Some perfumes contain oxytocin, a chemical which helps human bonding

"So I totally agree that our experiences have a huge impact on our ability to form relationships - but that impact occurs through changes in neurochemistry and gene expression."

So, if love really is just a complex chemical reaction, could that most powerful of human emotions be manipulated?

"Oxytocin increases eye gaze, increases our ability to recognise emotions in others," Professor Young said.

"It may actually enhance our ability to form relationships, and so it is a very real possibility that something like oxytocin could be used in conjunction with marital therapies to bring back that spark."

There are already perfumes on the market containing oxytocin, but Professor Young believes the levels are too low for it to be an effective aphrodisiac.

"But I think in the future we can develop drugs that readily pass into the brain and can target certain brain areas that could do this," he said.

Professor Bostrom believes it will become increasingly possible to manipulate the neurological mechanisms that play a role in romantic attachment.

"Used wisely, such pharmacology could enhance human experience and mitigate unnecessary suffering.

"However, this kind of manipulation would raise a thicket of ethical and cultural issues, which would need to be carefully explored."

----------

There is reams of evidence to show marked changes in brain patterns when people are excited or scared. Emotions are also measurable in an every day sense too.

Hate, is measurable by the actions of how someone reacts to that emotion.

Fear, increases stress hormones in the body. Fight or flight is a basic animal response.

So show me how measurable god is.
----------

No redneck, don't evade my question-

Give me one example of conscience without a physical being.

Location hidden

#517541 Jul 9, 2012
Young, a researcher at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center at Emory University in Atlanta, studies the neurobiology that underlies pair bonds -- what nonscientists might call love.
In an essay in the journal Nature last month, he laid out evidence that scientists may soon be able to tie the emotion "love" to a biochemical chain of events, and might someday even be able to develop drugs that enhance social bonding -- in much the same way that pharmaceuticals today can help regulate emotions like anxiety and depression.
But, Young says, it's not a love potion. "The holy grail is a drug that might be able to enhance the social abilities of people with social disorders like autism."
In his lab at Yerkes, Young studies rodents called prairie voles. Unlike 95 percent of mammals, prairie voles mate for life.
"They form a lifelong bond," Young said. "They nest together, they raise a family together, they have another litter. So they have this really intense bond between them."
In a series of studies, Young found that the hormones that produce that bond are the same ones that promote parent-child bonding in many other species.
For females, that hormone is oxytocin.
"We can take a prairie vole female, inject her with oxytocin, and she'll bond with whatever male is around," Young said.
For males, a related hormone called vasopressin promotes both pair bonding and fatherly behaviors like grooming young voles.
But like humans, some voles are more suited for monogamy than others. In one recent study, Young found that male voles with a particular variant of a gene called AVPR1A that codes for vasopressin receptors in the brain had fewer of those receptors than usual. And so, perhaps not surprisingly, voles with that gene variant were less likely to bond with females than voles without it.
In another study, Young found that implanting a version of the AVPR1A gene in meadow voles -- a related species that does not mate for life -- produced never-before-seen monogamous meadow voles.

Location hidden

#517542 Jul 9, 2012
Recently, Swedish researcher Hasse Walum of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm found that a related gene in human males has similar effects.
In a study published in September in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Science, Walum studied a version of the AVPR1A gene that codes for vasopressin receptors in men. He studied more than 1,000 Swedish men, and found that men who carried a particular variant of the gene were less likely to be married than men without the variant, were more likely to report a recent crisis in their marriage, and ranked lower on a scale of partner bonding that asked questions such as "how often do you kiss your mate?"
Now, Walum and his colleagues are studying whether there are similar relationships between oxytocin receptors and pair bonding in women -- a more difficult study, he says, because there are no genes with as straightforward a relationship to oxytocin receptors as the AVPR1A gene has to vasopressin receptors in males.
Walum's study generated volumes of both scientific and popular interest, with headlines suggesting that cheating males could just blame their genes. But he cautions against overinterpreting his results.
"There are many things that influence marital happiness, and this gene variant is only a small part of that variation," he said. "A genetic test would not be very important in choosing a mate ... getting to know each other would be better."
Meanwhile, some marketers are already trying to take advantage of the work of Young, Walum and other scientists. An Internet company called Vero Labs sells a product called "Enhanced Liquid Trust," a mix of oxytocin and pheromones the company claims will enhance your dating life.
Although Young does believe that scientists may someday develop bonding-enhancement drugs, he said that that day is still far in the future.
The companies selling online love potions now, he said "are basing it on some science, but their strategy is completely crazy.... It's all just baloney

Location hidden

#517543 Jul 9, 2012
Some more stuff on chemicals influence on how we feel.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmenta...

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#517544 Jul 9, 2012
Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
*Humble
You don't make any conscience effort. No wonder you don't understand the meaning of the word.
Everybody makes typos occasionally, can we give the corrections a rest? It makes too many goshdarn posts to keep up with and if you guys don't relent I'm not going to play any more.
I'll make plenty of them myself, today; I've got a headache that's messing with my syntax. It hurts too much to sleep or watch tv, it's raining so I can't be in my yard and I can't drive with a migraine... what a way to spend a day off; flaming t@rds on Topix!:-(

Location hidden

#517545 Jul 9, 2012

Location hidden

#517546 Jul 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
It must be why my kitty purrs from anticipation of being petted. She can't wait for that dopamine fix so she fluffs herself...mentally.

Location hidden

#517547 Jul 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
Now then.

I might not have entirely satisfied you demand of proof. But at least I have tried.

Now could you answer my question.

You claim consciousness is not unique to physicality or the process of something physical.

Show me one example where that is the case.

Location hidden

#517548 Jul 9, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Everybody makes typos occasionally, can we give the corrections a rest? It makes too many goshdarn posts to keep up with and if you guys don't relent I'm not going to play any more.
I'll make plenty of them myself, today; I've got a headache that's messing with my syntax. It hurts too much to sleep or watch tv, it's raining so I can't be in my yard and I can't drive with a migraine... what a way to spend a day off; flaming t@rds on Topix!:-(
Again a believer attacks me for biting back. You fellow believer had already called me a tard and an idiot long before I stared having a go back. If someone wants to call me these things why shouldn't I defend myself?

Now nano, I fully expect you to ride your high horse over to redneck and tell her the way the cold wind blows for attacking me first. Or are you just part of the fundie bully club?

Thank you.
Taina

London, UK

#517549 Jul 9, 2012
Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called reading books. I have come to the conclusion more atheists have read the bible than believers. It's practically the atheist hand book.
Go figure.
I find Atheists weird if what you say is true,why invest your time,energy and oxygen in reading a book that you dont believe in or agree in.

Location hidden

#517550 Jul 9, 2012
Sockstar wrote:
Give me one example of conscience without a physical being.
Don't you mean "consciousness"?

Location hidden

#517551 Jul 9, 2012
Sockstar wrote:
<quoted text>
Again a believer attacks me for biting back. You fellow believer had already called me a tard and an idiot long before I stared having a go back. If someone wants to call me these things why shouldn't I defend myself?
Now nano, I fully expect you to ride your high horse over to redneck and tell her the way the cold wind blows for attacking me first. Or are you just part of the fundie bully club?
Thank you.
I hope that "everyone" quits with the typo corrections. It wastes space and time and it's lame.:p

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#517552 Jul 9, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Everybody makes typos occasionally, can we give the corrections a rest? It makes too many goshdarn posts to keep up with and if you guys don't relent I'm not going to play any more.
They have a sin tax where you live (I'll ignore your misspelling)?

Location hidden

#517553 Jul 9, 2012
Taina wrote:
<quoted text>
I find Atheists weird if what you say is true,why invest your time,energy and oxygen in reading a book that you dont believe in or agree in.
I'm personally interested in the reasons behind belief. Why people are drawn to a god or gods. If I understand the principles of their beliefs then I can relate to and discuss belief systems with an open mind

whilst I'm not a believer I also like to read about how religion impacts on cultures and societies.

I find reading the books and researching about religion gives me a good insight into how earlier man controlled the masses and how it helped bind and build civilizations. Also I'm very bloody minded so I like to be informed.

What I find strange is the amount of believers that don't read their own books but are happy to tell other people how it is, where they are going wrong and how they should live their lives.

Location hidden

#517554 Jul 9, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I hope that "everyone" quits with the typo corrections. It wastes space and time and it's lame.:p
I agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min onemale 259,126
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min Osama Bin Laden 118,209
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min NEWS-FLASH 173,635
Looking for Female Yorkie to mate with my male ... (Mar '13) 18 min iloveyorkies1987 71
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 31 min seriously the ori... 542,033
thank you 33 min pusherman_ 1
How many Americans don't like Obama......just b... 44 min One quarter African 14
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 46 min Epiphany2 600,985
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr KiMare 95,415
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••